Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
What's the definitive SoC experience nowadays? I have never played through the original but it's about time I did because I want to explore the zone and the story, if it's worth it. I'm fine with a more casual experience because mutants frighten me enough as is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
Speaking of default SoC, I went in without any mods, not even ZRP. Yeah, the guns are weird and some areas look sparse, but the atmosphere is there and I only had a few crashes.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
After a few years, I decided to finally finish Call of Pripyat. I've had a few false starts during the years, but I was through a lot of the Yanov area already this time when I figured out I'm stuck because an NPC is bugged so I can't actually continue the story. After reinstalling, I found out my install that's been there for a few years at this point apparently had some mods so there's no way I can use these save files. I still want to finish this game but I'm going to throw up if I have to do Zaton one more time. Are there any cool mods that add to the gameplay but still let you finish the story?

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
In the end, I went with a mostly vanilla Pripyat experience for my third attempt of actually finishing the game, the only mod that changes anything but graphics is stcop weapons. With a bit of supersampling, the game is absolutely gorgeous. If you think dilapidated things look cool, obviously.
Now I only wish building interiors weren't so barren, but I'm assuming the engine would poo poo itself if you added more clutter.

I haven't finished CS either, I should get on that afterwards.

Ledenko
Aug 10, 2012
I just started playing Anomaly myself so maybe I'm not the best person to suggest things, but probably just use a mod organizer and stuff anything you like in there, it'll warn you if it detects conflicts. This is a pretty cool list - https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1CZt3EFi05VJmlz-l755LtqvArlGqSTEbjNQsB9z7z94/edit
Alternatively just browse Anomaly moddb by most popular - https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons?sort=visitstotal-desc
It's not that hard to get it going, but I didn't add any gun mods which are a bit more difficult to integrate.

I personally dislike reshade because I don't think I have ever played any game with it where I didn't start turning it off, but there are some in those two lists you may like.
I use enhanced shaders with glossy surfaces SSR and michiko's weather revamp which adjusts light colors and values. It ends up being muted and gloomy and I dig it: