Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I'm running Call of Chernobyl with the Call of Misery mod. Installing the Arsenal Overhaul for CoM causes a crash on load, I think it has something to do with the number of items that shopkeepers hold. This is also what a line in the crash log suggests.

Anyone have any solutions for it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The Dark Project posted:

This is true, but after 3 sessions of doing this, you no longer hear the background voices from the zone. I think it's akin to a blowout trying to lobotomize you and turn you into a zombie, but the chemicals interfere with it enough that it is only able to get part-way. If anything, making a tent to see out a blowout should also require anabiotics. The shielding from the foil fabric you use to make a tent (not kidding, there is such in the game you can make a bed with for use with the tent) in conjunction with anabiotics should be the only way you should be able to survive a blowout in the field. Otherwise, it's zombie time.

I do love the Misery Mod, and I've had fun completing the latest set of Alun's Journal (where the stashes actually give you halfway decent/great loot!). I've also downloaded a mod optimisation which takes into account the bullets being used in guns and how it affects recoil. The basic problem is vanilla Misery has all guns jumping upwards if you use them in sustained fire mode, from light-round using SMG's all the way up to heavy machine-guns like the PKM. This new fix basically allows a lot more control for the guns which use smaller rounds. The "Frasier" MP5 is now loving awesome as a gun for a Recon, as it's jump is absolutely manageable, making it really worthwhile to carry with you in the field. The bullet damage has also been properly adjusted, so .45 ACP hydroshock rounds do a lot of damage vs non-armoured targets, but significantly less vs armoured foes. A really excellent help in the game.

Once you get into the flow of Misery, the micromanagement bothers you less. I wrote down the varying price differentials between what was being offered by Beard, Owl and Hermann for items, and made a list of who it is best to sell what to for the best price. It carries over to Hawaiian and Bonesetter, taking the same sales data as Beard and Owl. Makes selling things when you get back to base easier.

However, as many have mentioned, there are a bunch of tedious aspects to this game which, while trying to make it seem more authentic, can just be a pain in the arse a lot of the time. An example is removing the ability to bring up your knife or binoculars by hitting 1 or 5 respectively. Now you need to equip either in a slot to do that. That's pretty unecessary. Especially since as a Recon it can sometimes be necessary to need to scope out where enemies might be near you, see where you are being shot at from etc, and the requirement to make you go into your inventory screen, unequip a weapon and then equip the binoculars is just being more than a little mean. The removal of the direction arrow from your PDA is non-sensical, as it would likely be able to show that based on the fact that you'd likely be holding it the way you are facing.

Game wise the stuttering and crashes still suck, but the X-Ray engine isn't so crash hot to deal with in any case. But I do think a lot of this has to do with the amount of A-life in the zone.

Still love the mod though, and it's my preferred method of playing the game. I've wanted to give "Call of Misery" a try, but the game keeps crashing on me when I try to start a new game. Might have something to do with them wanting people to run "Last Day" in conjunction with it, who knows.

I had tons of crash issues with Call of Misery but fixed it by using a standalone repak. you don't actually run call of pripyat to play, you use the standalone exe

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

poverty goat posted:

Also either CoC/CoM have turned me into some kind of ubermensch or 2.2 feels easy as hell compared to how I remember 2.0 and 2.1.

I'm having the exact same experience. CoM is loving brutal compared to Misery. I haven't died at all yet in 2.2 and I'm rolling in money from mutant hunts. Meanwhile, in CoM I can't get from the skavodsk to the svechenko without dying painfully if I don't watch my back.

v1ld posted:

DesolationX, which CoM adds and builds on for its spawns, is based on making encounters infrequent but deadly. So wandering those maps keeps you on your toes without giving you places like Misery's Iron Forest. It reminds me of AMK where you never know what you'll encounter, but without some of AMK's excesses.

Money isn't hard in CoM if you do tasks, they pay well enough. You're not going to be rich but you accumulate the dosh fast enough.

Idk, I personally feel like the economy needs to be adjusted. I like the high price of items, but mutant parts, artifacts and jobs should pay more in CoM. Knives degrade too fast, the hunter's kit does nothing, and the spawns are too high in my game. I love the mod, but those are my greatest annoyances. On the bright side, playing through such a brutal zone has made me a STALKER ubergod apparently

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Playing call of misery last day with the translation.

I know that it isn't supposed to be fully translated yet, but I was under the impression that the dialogue options would all be in English, and that the last part that needed to be translated was just the PDA network.

It appears as though some conversations and dialogue choices (for example, in the bar) are still in Russian. Is that just part of the incomplete translation or did I gently caress up somehow

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

my bony fealty posted:

Play CoM its very good

Oh yeah, it's my ideal brutal STALKER freeplay. I love the feeling of just-getting-by and with COM, that never really goes away even once you get nice equipment.

v1ld posted:

Here's a collection of small tweaks that includes one for 3x slower down knife degradation. I recommend using all 4 tweaks.

I ended up installing another tweak pack on there that adds some nice tweaks including the knife degradation rate and better paying jobs. It also made the shift-crouch into a prone which is actually pretty cool and adds a little more flexibility to combat. Corpses also give money which I think is balanced well enough because it fits a bandit playstyle and doesn't really throw the economy off-balance because your cash comes and goes quickly anyway.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

v1ld posted:

You mentioned this earlier, Bullfrog: the Hunter's Kit does have a passive effect in CoM if you have it in your inventory. I forget what the effect is, either more mutant parts or faster looting. The description is correct.

It's supposed to give you more mutant parts when butchering if you have it in your inventory. When I used it, I didn't notice a difference in the number of parts I received, but maybe I just had some bad luck.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Was in the Red Forest in CoM, terrified as all hell. It's storming and zombies and monolith keep appearing seemingly out of nowhere. Trying to stash some loot at the top of a watchtower but I keep getting killed by things that sneak up on me. So I place an IED at the bottom of the stairs to keep me safe while I set up a campsite and continue to loot. Everything is quiet. I briefly look out the window of the tower and the mine explodes with an ENORMOUS intensity, meaning something had triggered it at the bottom of the stairs.

I pause, too afraid to go down and confront whatever survived down there. After a few minutes of building up courage and takin sips of beer I unpause the game and get out my saiga, turn the corner to the stairs and see a dead tushkano lying next to a scorch mark. Woops.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

The spiked trench entrance to Rostok is still one of the most terrifying areas in a "safe zone" in the game. Just fought two bloodsuckers in the dark there and was afraid to walk down the road. I can't think of any other game where safety and danger are so relative.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

botany posted:

how do you actually play last day? i just downloaded it and gave it a try. first impressions:

start 1: spawned in a closed room on one side of the giant grapevine anomaly in pripyat, no way to get out except to jump. restarted.
start 2: figured out you can choose where you spawn, so i started on the skadovsk. walked around the ship a bit, heard sounds of fighting outside. went up to the upper deck to see, a reloading stalker popped out of the door into the ship, followed by two angry boars who killed me and then him.
start 3: skadovsk again. walked around, within minutes the ship was overrun by a pack of cats who killed gonta and a bunch of stalkers. i stood up on a railing so they couldn't reach me. killed them, cleared the lower ship of rats and dogs, went outside, got eaten by a bloodsucker.

i am unsure what i'm supposed to be doing in this mod.

I'm pretty sure but not positive that the CoP zones in Call of Misery and Last Day are brutal as gently caress and filled with zombies until you turn off the brain scorcher

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

It feels odd that in Misery / STALKER weapons packs etc there are no .22LR weapons. You'd think there would be a lot of old lovely farm rifles floating around.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

holy poo poo im actually really surprised

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

im so excited for the mods, the new areas, the way that the game adapts to 2018 trends and hopefully graphics. the idea of playing another stalker game for another 10 years is loving amazing. something to really look forward to

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Been playing both Dead Air and Anomaly. I really, really like Dead Air, especially how NPCs become really important in the game's economy. The melee additions are both surprisingly viable and fun. The crafting is really cool tool. Tip to people having loot troubles: the breakable boxes are a really strong source of loot, and they respawn. Also, instead of selling all your random trinkets to the traders, check to see if nearby NPCs have anything you want, because sometimes the items are more valuable to them than the traders. You can purchase bandages and medkits from them using some items the traders won't even buy.

Anomaly reminds me much more of a traditional STALKER mod like Oblivion Lost or OGSE, of course it is based on Last Day. At first I felt the game was way, way too easy. I found a full condition PKM on a soldier near my starting area and that felt kinda weird. However, later on after selling my loot and buying what I needed, I realized that its balance was based around giving you a lot of loot, but putting you in situations where you would use it up quickly.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I do like Dead Air as I said previously but I had to take a break.

started the game with only the toolkit as a bit of a challenge, and was able to craft everything I needed for a while, but after getting overloaded with junk, having only a simple pistol, and going to the bandit base just to get an annoying occurence where the entire base was instantly destroyed by snorks (ruining several tough quests i was going to turn in) made me feel physically exhausted

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Fall Dog posted:

I just installed Dead Air after navigating the MODDB site. They could have made it a little less painful...

I think I'm irradiated even after drinking 3 bottles of vodka. Currently dying either to radiation damage or lack of sleep. Are there indicators for being tired? Almost died to a cat when walking to the car park. Died several times when killing bandits solo because I didn't know where Fanatic was and had to stealthily knife one to steal his busted SKS. I climbed into the attic of the barn and sniped the remaining bandits. I'm currently in the Cordon basement trying to sleep on the bed in there, but I don't think I can, so I'm going to die due to my severe wasting disease or whatever it is that's killing me.

Game seems kinda fun so far and made me feel how I felt when I played Stalker for the very first time, so I'm grateful for that. I think I'm gonna tinker with the files to get rid of the head bobbing and brace for more arse pain.

Being tired makes you have double vision and your screen slightly wobbly. If you don't have a dosimeter, you won't be able to tell how many rads you have, and you won't know when you're taking them. It's possible that you gained like hundreds of rads while naively wandering around an area you thought was safe.

Also check the hunger bar, which is the green one right below your health bar in the inventory menu.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

It bugs me how in so many mods, the mosin model has the player's shoulder clipping through the screen. I always have to gently caress with the UI fov to get rid of it because it's so distracting.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

I've been really enjoying the anomaly 1.5 beta. For some reason, I didn't like anomaly the first time I tried it around a year ago, but now it's clicking.

I think it's due to the new, customizable difficulty setting.

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

sea of losers posted:

actually no that's beta 3.0, but yeah it's a big update

e2: turns out that there's a torrent link on Anomaly's discord. since it includes everything you need to run the game and doesnt even require a registry file for call of pripyat idk if im allowed to link it here, but just know it's on the official Anomaly discord, and you can find an invite link to that in the moddb forums for Anomaly

honestly tho the moddb download links have the exact same files and it's been this way for around a year, it just seems that GSC doesnt give even a slight poo poo about piracy of STALKER/x-ray assets. plagiarism yes, but not piracy i suppose?

It's definitely not piracy. Call of Pripyat mods have been using an open source version for years

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Tibbeh posted:

I've been pretty happy with it but I feel like mutants are a bit too durable early game. I failed the fanatic tutorial quest so many times as 5-6 boars completely shred myself and fanatic as I struggle to kill more than one of them with a double barreled shotgun. I ended up having to spawn myself an RPG-7 to kill them without getting ganked. Fighting people feels like at the perfect level of damage vs armor though, so it's not all bad

I hesitate to call the boar mission a tutorial even, lmao, because it's basically a death trap at the start. Even though the rewards are good I usually skip those missions until later.

Looking forward to playing 1.5 after getting home, like many in the thread I really enjoyed the previous version of anomaly and am excited to see some of the new changes. I am slightly overwhelmed with the fact that there are like 3 newly updated games I want to play including this one lmao

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Had to disable OpenALSoft in anomaly unfortunately, the sound quality was loving terrible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bullfrog
Nov 5, 2012

Call of Chernobyl: "hey we should put all the stalker maps together and have it be a big sandbox for building other mods off of"
Call of Misery: "CoC is fun, but what if we added elements of Misery and more survival elements to the sandbox?
Dead Air: "that's great, but I prefer a slower and more immersive experience, let's build on that and add some simple, yet effective gameplay elements and improve the graphics"
Anomaly: "this is all great. Let's take the best of all that but make it customizable and give the player a bit more breathing room, while still adding some unique stylistic choices like making the zone more overgrown"

There was another mod that was popular that built off of CoM but I have unfortunately forgotten the name. Anomaly was originally built off of it