Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Does anyone know the fix to make the MP3 player in SGM 2.1 functional? As I remember it was bugged and there is a fix but I can't seem to find it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Load a quicksave on the Skadovsk, go down the stairs and approach a stalker to talk. Crab turns, pulls out his rifle, flops flat on his back and floats smoothly up through the ceiling as if being raptured. That has to be the non-glitchiest Crab glitch ever.

Thanks for the luajit link Swartz, it works like a charm. I have less lag running that with AN3 and AF3 than I did without any of the three.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

GunganRevenge posted:

Oh, yeah, the Vintorez is p sweet, IIRC.

Leaving and Coming back in isn't working.

I think the only gun that all-around outperforms the Vintorez in SoC is the scoped AS Val you get from Voronin. Then in CoP they made it pretty lovely (read:balanced).

With regard to Stalker 2, the devs moved on to start work on Survarium, but does anyone know how close it was to completion before the fallout between GSC/staff? Basically is there any chance of ever seeing a mostly-finished Stalker 2 leaked/released for the dedicated modding community to get their hands on?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
That is pretty weird, but for pure disgust GIS "Bloodsucker". Keep scrolling. You'll know when you've found it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

staberind posted:

SGM 2.2 is fun, although the swamps suck, has anyone had a crash/freeze in their inventory while emptying guns? Did you find a fix for it? google comes up dry.

I skipped the grind and used the Zaton Start mod for 2.2. No idea about the crash.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Missing Name posted:

I realized why AA sounds so much more realistic than vanilla. Lots of sounds were taken from Battlefield Bad Company 2, which are far more on the realistic side of gunfire. No exaggerated booms for rifles and howitzers for handguns, no "pew pew" of silencers. No, we're talking sharp cracks and pops here.

Also, Acquire Currency, great loving avatar.

Does anyone know if it would be a fairly simple cut/paste to replace the gun sounds in, say CoP SGM?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

nexus6 posted:

I'm playing SGM 2.1, when do I get an objective to go to one of the new (old) areas (dark valley, military warehouses)? I've finished the main storyline and I'm in freeplay now, not much to do besides kill hundreds of zombies.

IIRC one of the guys in the Scientists' bunker will give you the Red Forest quest. RF has to be done before any of the other add-on areas or they'll all become bugged. It can also bug so that the quest is never offered, have fun with that.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

M.Ciaster posted:

(I found an entire goddamn large bunker under Cordon that wasn't there before!)

Oh? Where is this?

For anyone who doesn't check the GSC boards, one of the Lost Alpha Q&A guys offered that it's generally important to NOT shoot red/enemy NPCs unless they fire first. That's FWIW considering the extent of some of the AI bugs though.

I'm just glad this isn't one of those mods that makes most anomalies invisible. I don't want to be able to nonstop sprint through the entire Zone, but fuuuuck throwing bolts every ten feet for fear of some invisible grav anomaly sending me back a quicksave and momentarily spiking my blood pressure.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
The tip I mentioned in my previous post? The same guy who provided it also says you can safely walk by the military checkpoints in Cordon as long as you stay on the road and don't be a dick. A few dozen rounds of AK-74 to the face suggests he might be wrong.

I'm really liking the ironsight accuracy, can't remember if it was this good in SoC but I headshot a bandit form across the factory yard with a sawn-off dart round and I highly doubt I could have done that in CoP.

M.Ciaster posted:

You know the anomaly filled tunnel that's supposed to be an alternate route if you can't/don't want to shoot your way through the military? In regular SoC it's got some weird complicated electrical anomaly and you have to time it right to get through? There's a door in it, go through it and explore. Watch out for the zombies, though (they're a massive pain in the rear end in LA, unless you use grenades)

Those zombies, and the tunnel in general, are horrible. I could be wrong but it doesn't seem like headshots work on LA zombies, though there were plenty of gravs for them to just stumble into. Now I have to go back through and kill more, and even if I was up to taking on the checkpoint I can't seem to take the road. Was heading back from Fox, holding W and suddenly I'm walking backwards and left and I pretty much just alt-F4ed because STALKER freaks me out that much sometimes.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Rime posted:

The anomalies in the tunnel won't kill them permanently if you lure them in, either. They'll go down for a bit and then get back up if you get close.

Welp, that explains the PDA message. Thanks for the info, and at least the tunnel ones can't get to me on the walkway.

I tried again to confirm: Just north of the truck that is a bit north of the northern (heh) Cordon checkpoint, if I'm at the bottom of the dip in the road and try to walk south toward the truck, I keep getting pulled backwards as if it's an incredibly steep incline. Of course the (visually) much more steep hillside right next to the road is no issue at all.

Life in the Zone indeed.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
STALKER Lost Alpha: More tunnels than Vietnam.

A lot of CTDs, one bone error after saving Fox (had turned legs off), one when quickloading, and one upon death. Nothing gamebreaking but just random and buggy enough (as others have said) to be a STALKER game.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Apr 29, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Somebody please post or PM where Strelok's stash is. I figured out the book cover easily enough, but I have been through the entire underground for the past hour and the only room/area that makes any sense whatsoever has no stash.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I'm confused about Agroprom. I think I did everything, but there's an audio file on the bar computer saying something about a case on the second floor, not the third. I don't remember seeing this. Anyone come across it?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
loving invisible zombies WTF

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

MRC48B posted:

I think he's exaggerating a bit.

They are more translucent than invisible. And I ran into my first one in the tunnels underneath the cordon. Also, they are slow as poo poo, and seem to be restricted to certain areas by the AI, so you just sit outside their invisible fence, and plink them with a makarov until they finally stop getting up.

They are just as invisible as bloodsuckers, and it looks like they used the same graphics for it. This means that their lower speed makes it harder to notice them until HOLY poo poo they are right on top of you and by the time you get out of the bush you were stealthed* in (which is the most awesome thing ever) you're pretty much dead. Not sure about the sandbox restrictions on them, I had one follow me quite a ways across the Garbage.

*I haven't seen anyone else mention this, and I don't remember it being mentioned by the devs. You go into the middle of a bush (maybe other areas too?) and stop. All of you that you can see turns black and things don't know you're there until they're literally two feet away. Works on zombies at least.

Thanks for the AI fix(es) Swartz!

Now to find the marked-on-my-map-but-not-really spot where this jacket is.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Acquire Currency! posted:

Jesus and I thought the bar entrance was a bitch to fine in SHoC

Well at least the dogs are easier to ki-oh right. I swear I used more medkits/bandages/ammo in that yard than everything prior to that all combined. They could have made the entrance a locked door with a code requiring the player to solve a riddle in Cyrillic and I'd have been fine with it as long as it didn't bark.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Thank You Card posted:

They die in 2 shots to a chaser 13 and you can get a chaser 13 as early as when you have to deal with the Sin members in the cordon. Always keep a shotgun with you for the sake of mutants. It took me less than 15 buckshot to clear out the psuedodogs and I only got bit once by them. They're really not that difficult.

I have a sawn-off, haven't come across a chaser yet. Maybe I'm just rusty?

nexus6 posted:

Loving Lost Alpha, it's like a fourth STALKER game. I've always been annoyed that no matter what other mods added or changed, the game still felt very familiar (I haven't played People's Soup though). This has blown me away so far, I've only got as far as the Garbage but I'm very impressed.

Does anyone know what setting I need to change to prevent myself going blind?

Gamma?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

MRC48B posted:

I ran into a fun bug, but I'd better spoiler it:

After getting away from the military, you get knocked out and captured by SIN in the mines. Well, apparently the leader you are supposed to talk to after getting captured flagged me as hostile for some reason, because he would begin talking after the player woke up, then as he was talking, pull out an AS VAL and immediately shoot the player in the head. Game over.:commissar:

Hey, I ran into this too. Hopefully the patch fixes it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I took a break for a few days because of what I'm about to describe:

After patching, I was suddenly able to talk to Veles without getting shot in the face. I made it back to the Dark Valley (and I was very tempted to go check out the beached ships but will hold off for now). I approach the bandit camp, start trying to stealth-kill the base. This is actually quite difficult as despite the lack of AI intelligence, a sawed-off shotgun dart/slug is literally more accurate at 50 meters than silenced pistol round is at 5. Absolutely no exaggeration. Several quickloads immediately tell me "Whoops, Duty guy is dead, good job scrub". I finally manage to get a QL that does not do this, grab the documents, and make my way to the underground cell, killing all but one or two bandits who I simply cannot find.

It is empty.

Checking my PDA, I find that the Duty prisoner is hiding in some bushes to the northwest of the bandit base. Overloaded with sweet, sweet AP ammo and such, I s-l-o-w-l-y make my way to him. He tells me I need the key to the gate...as he crouches in a lovely bunch of bushes. I dutifully retrace my path to the place where the key is before returning to the Dutyer (to be fair I should have been catching on a little more thoroughly at this point). He kindly requests that I open the gate to the cell in the basement of the bandit base which he is 50 meters outside of. Halfway back to the base I get a 30 second blowout warning. I burn all my energy drinks to reach safety next to the cell. Within a few seconds, my minimap shows the Dutyer approaching the entrance. His dot stops moving, and I begin to worry he's dying of radiation poisoning. Moments later, there's a bandit shout, a burst of gunfire, and a prompt informing me that the Dutyer has been killed.

Only in a Stalker game could this poo poo be nearly as amusing as it is frustrating.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Perfect World posted:

I got the bandit documents before meeting Veles and when all of the bandits were friendly to me I carefully went around the base knifing them all in the back while they all stared off through the wall at a mutant miles away. I then sold the previous guys stuff to the next guy before I knifed him and so on. My reputation went all the way down to very bad but so what? I made 60,000ru!

This is deliciously devious and goony and I'm ashamed I did not think of it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

floor is lava posted:

The pacing in Lost Alpha is pretty terrible. You go from using scraps in the first map to having more ammo than you could ever use and more than a dozen artifacts in the second. I haven't had a blowout yet but from what I've seen from videos of other people its just random insta-kill thunder for about 10 minutes instead of something cool like the rolling red clouds from CoP Sigerous mod.

The single blowout I've seen looked pretty much like a SGM blowout.

Did anyone else jump down through the vortex in the mono base trying to find the X18 entrance?

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Horns posted:

The best thing that could happen for Lost Alpha now would be if someone just ripped all the awful story out of it and made it entirely freeplay. The maps are awesome, but that's really all it has going for it.

I don't mind the story, I enjoy the sense of accomplishment (even if artificial) that comes with completing pieces of a storyline. I also appreciate the effort put into the entire project, especially reworking and adding maps. That said, I'm one of those who just stopped playing because of all the pointless bullshit backtracking. It's almost literally a 50/50 balance between gameplay advancement and backtracking, and the only way to improve that balance is by exploring everything everywhere, which gets really boring when you've been checking out things for 20 minutes and not found a single bit of loot or Alife.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

E.Nigma posted:

Fellow goons, your musical tastes are requested. I'm finishing a weapon mod for clear sky using complete as a base. I'm replacing the annoying propaganda with music. I need some songs, preferably ones that are very Russian/Ukrainian.

Lots of Tatu and Red Army Orchestra. Authentic Russian with the side effect of making every person who plays it hate you.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

Yeah, some of the new missions and areas (especially the Dark Valley and Lab X18, gently caress those places hard) are just awful. I recommend you hold off on the mod-added missions and just stick to the vanilla storyline wherever possible until you have the highest tier of everything equipped.

I remember at least one area where the highest tier everything is useless. Overall it shouldn't be too difficult with the exception of Alpha Squads, which IIRC are somehow worse than in 2.1. I know that at one point there were roughly 40 Alpha guys spawned around Yanov Station.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Mordja posted:

The OGSE people just posted a WIP changelog of the upcoming version and it is going to be huge.

I might reinstall SoC and download this just for the thermal vision.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Scyron posted:

SGM music

You'll have to be more specific, IIRC each bar has its own unique playlist.

The only one I remember off of the top of my head is Ma Baker. Put yer hands in the air and gimme all yer money! *cue horrible 70s music*

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

E.Nigma posted:

Anyone else been following gunslinger mod? https://www.youtube.com/user/WolfKOTTO/videos

If it can do half the poo poo you see in the videos it will make any current weapon mod obsolete. So far the models and animations surpass any retail game.

- Animations for clearing jams,
- Dynamic magazines to check your ammo
- Animations for drinking water and vodka
- Multiple optic attachments like shoker mod

Is this the mod that showcased a player character hopping a fence and jumping on the charging handle of an AK to clear a jam? Because that was great.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

NEED TOILET PAPER posted:

That was Shoker mod. It's out now if you want to give it a whirl, which I highly recommend because not only do you get a king's ransom of new weapons, but it also makes the game run much smoother (and I mean MUCH smoother) and IIRC the graphics are updated and look pretty spiffy.

My favorite new weapon is the flamethrower. Every STALKER game should have one, it makes fighting bloodsuckers so much more satisfying :getin:

Sounds great, is the Valley of Whispers addon any good or should I just get Shoker? Flamethrower alone sounds great, I remember finding ammo for one in SGM but never the actual weapon.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I managed to get Shoker working. I had forgotten that telling Steam to delete local content was not nearly the same as a fresh install. Valley of Whispers seems alright. While the gun mechanics are very different and the buggy movement is a very good way to die, a mutant rat running on a wheel might be my new favorite Stalker modding thing.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 08:35 on Jul 6, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Ddraig posted:

Here's part of the design notes for emissions I had planned.

http://pastebin.com/L82DgMig

Disturbing cloud patterns was right. I actually got a really cool texture artist to make a slight variation of the emission cloud patterns leading up to it that was pretty much a huge Skull looking down on the Zone if you looked at it right. A bitch to implement subtly but it was kind of neat when a few people I tested it with looked up and saw death itself staring down at them, kind of.

I thoroughly love this.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
DOes the goon-preferred TFW version also fix the unavoidable grenade thing? Cause if that's gone I might just buy CS for it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
I started CS Complete before I give TFW a run, the invisible=invincible bloodsucker mechanic is new for me. I'm still in the swamps and woke form a nap to find two bloodsuckers under the roof I was perched on. Try as I might, I can't put them both down without dying.

I know a weeee bit about basic STALKER modding but where the heck are the mutant .ltx files? Pretty sure it should be \gamedata\configs\m_bloodsucker.ltx for example, but even with Windows set to show hidden stuff it's not there or anywhere else in the game directory.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Ddraig posted:

They're in configs\creatures

I know they should be, but they're just not. Very odd. configs/weapons has ltx files for all the weapons, but the only files in /creatures are actor, gamerelations, and m_stalker. Should add that I'm using Arsenal Overhaul now. Just odd, I'll jump back in the game and see if I can just fight through it.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Ddraig posted:

If the mod doesn't have those folders, it's still using the vanilla versions in the gamedata.db files.

And IIRC modifying those requires a new game. Welp. Thanks for helping me figure out where they're hidden at least.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Yeah I learned that quickly. I did manage to be a bit clever, in the Swamps by the northern Cordon entrance I managed to get up on the very top roof beams of a building where the suckers couldn't get me. Pretty sure a Chimera could pull it off though.

Not clever enough, managed to piss off the railway bridge stalkers by getting too close. Guess my only option is to kill them, good thing AO has scoped rifles. :getin:

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 25, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Playing through Limansk is an exercise in masochism.

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013
Ddraig how's your TFW version coming along?

I tried to install TFW from the moddb link, cleared out the gamedata folder, installed the new one and replaced the xrgame.dll. On launch I'm getting a bug where it can't find XrLUA.dll, which doesn't even come with CS. I've tried fully clearing out my CS folder and reinstalling, the issue seems to be the FW xrGame.dll causing the game to look for XrLUA.dll.

quote:

xrengine.exe caused BREAKPOINT in module "C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\STALKER Clear Sky\bin\xrCore.dll" at 0023:1001B944, xrDebug::backend()+164 byte(s)

Any ideas?

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Dec 3, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Swartz posted:

When you cleaned out your directory, did you delete your save games and log directories?
I had an error that gave me an error almost identical to that, and nothing worked until I did that. First time I've ever experienced it either.

I thought that might be it but on my most recent uninstall I just manually deleted the entire Clear Sky folder before telling Steam to remove it. I've even gone into appdata and cleared out the crash logs, same error.

Edit: I am an idiot.

I was trying to install the Clear Sky faction mod for SoC. Now I have to find the Faction Wars mod for CS.

Vorenus fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Dec 4, 2014

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Thanks a ton, got it installed easily enough. Starting to see why CS gets so much hate though. Running FW with the modded lua.jit, and my FPS is pretty bad. Gunfights are nearly unplayable at times, and basic walking through the zone is slightly stuttery.

I'm running a GTX760, i5 4690, and 8GB Ram so even with the notorious XRay engine there shouldn't be any issues. Tried to turn off sun rays, lower SSAO, and activate Dx10.1 but the latter can't be turned on and saving the settings locks up the game process.

It's almost like CS was rushed out the door by a bunch of drunk Russians. :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vorenus
Jul 14, 2013

Leif. posted:

It's not that simple. I've got a high end gaming PC with yes, and i7 and ssd; the game does look beautiful and runs at a nice framerate, but is hampered by completely random stuttering just walking through the zone. Disabling sun shadows helped a bit, but not only are there just random stutters, there are also geometry-specific stutters that always occur in the same place. It's just a poo poo optimized game, as evidenced by the retardedly high FPS increase you'll get when the weather switches to fog.

My i5 can run maxed CS Complete with no issues, and I have an SSD as well. It's something in the FW mod that's causing it to take up to ten minutes to load a quicksave or transition from one map to another. I've run with -noprefetch, dropped sun rays to low and SSAO to medium, installed the optimized shaders, installed the optimized lua/jit and XRengine EXE, and finally changed to DX10 mode in-game. The FPS is smoother, but the load times are still unacceptably long.

Every Stalker game has some stutter from offline/online AI switches but good God, before replacing half of the game files walking in an empty field stuttered worse than SGM onlining the entire Skadovsk NPC garrison in CoP. That's really, really odd and bad.