Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The OGSE people just posted a WIP changelog of the upcoming version and it is going to be huge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Does LA have an upgrade system at all, or is it purely SHOC style? On that note, any new guns?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I've just started doing some localization work for the [url=http://www.moddb.com/mods/in-spite-of-the-deathhttps://in guys, aka I'm really just editing translated xmls, and while I obviously don't know how it'll actually play, it sure is pretty looking. Tons of new maps, which is always a treat. The team's also working on SGM 3.0 as well as a smaller, standalone story called Chernobyl Chronicles (that's the one I'm doing now, actually) that's due to come out later this year. I dunno if this counts as self-promotion, but mostly I'm just happy to support modding in some small way. :downs:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Overwined posted:

A quick google shows me some news on porting Stalker to the Crysis engine. Moddb entry here. Don't get your hopes up, though. It was announced a few years ago and it appears nothing is going on.
It's still alive, maybe, just in a different form. They were running into IP problems or something by using STALKER assets so they decided to go standalone, called their game Neya-7 then dialed down their ambitions and renamed it to Survenge. Nothing since May though. I offered to help localize it and they said to check back in July, but no response. :shrug:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So that Russian/Ukrainian Stalker mod I'd mentioned I was helping with came out recently. It's called Chernobyl Chronicles; I edited the ESL-translated script and tested the final version. The mod itself is very short and mostly linear. You can get through it in a few hours since there's not much side content, but it does some pretty interesting things with Stalker scripting and it's apparently the first released mod to feature first-person cutscenes. If I'm being honest though, a few missions are frustrating in parts, and if I could do it again I'd be much more aggressive when it comes to cutting down on giant, expository blocks of text. Still, it's worth a look in my obviously unbiased opinion. :P

I'm actually more interested in what those guys do next. The ISOTD seems to be something of a modding collective and Chernobyl Chronicles isn't their mod exactly, rather it's something they provided support on. They've also taken over development of SGM and their own flagship mod looks like it will have a bunch of scratch-build levels which is always welcome.

Anyway, that's it for my shameless plug, hope you give it a shot.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Ahundredbux posted:

Hmm consider not going to a mismanaged radioactive disaster zone

My dad went once for his work (IAEA), just get a legit guide and you'll be fine.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The only thing I'd add on to COP for your first run throught is Atmosfear and its texture packs, though that can change the visual tone of the game a little.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Playing Clear Sky first is a good way to put yourself off the entire series, for one.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
STALKER co-op coming along well.
http://www.moddb.com/mods/ray-of-hope-co-op-online/videos/ray-of-hope-roh-closed-beta-gameplay-2#imagebox

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

loga mira posted:

Besides that, I though the game's gunplay and gun customization weren't great, are there any mods that specifically change these things? Something conservative that doesn't add a million guns ripped from other games would be ideal.

I'd say you'd want to wait for Gunslinger to come out but who knows how long that will take.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I like SGM a lot but, uh, I definitely wouldn't consider its additions "conservative."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

MariusLecter posted:

What about "Somewhat Bloated"?

Hey man, don't bring my mom into this!

Monolith. posted:

That would be Misery.

Hey man, don't bring my mom into this!

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Azran posted:

Has any Stalker mod ever added more melee weapons or put a little more emphasis on melee?

I seem to remember one of those machine-translated Russian mods gave you a shovel or something.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

NeoSeeker posted:

His voice can be annoying I guess because he uses that really dry almost monotone "youtube documentary" voice and it can get a bit nasally at times. To be fair though most of us sound much worse.

Yeah, but he's Canadian. We all sound like our souls have died.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Weird to say, but I don't really want a STALKER game in the Cryengine, reason being that it'll look like a Cryengine game, which doesn't mesh well with the tone and aesthetic, imo.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Anyone give the Lost Alpha DC a try? They fix their game yet?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So, uh, what's the deal with Lost Alpha running at literally 10 FPS when I go outside, on a 1070? :geno:

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Bob NewSCART posted:

That's loving awesome and I'm going to install that

Uh, if this is your first time playing STALKER I definitely don't suggest you start with CoC. If not, then have at it.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

turn off the TV posted:

The idea that lighters are somehow a rare commodity is so bizarre that it's amazing.

So stupid. I think I read that bandits and other STALKERs drop lighters pretty frequently though, so I'm sure they'll patch that out.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Digirat posted:

My go-to example of a good immersive mechanic is the flashlight charger in metro 2033. Your flashlight slowly becomes dimmer over time in that game, and you charge your flashlight by getting out this bulky battery charger and tapping the mouse button (you can see the flashlight get brighter while you do it and the needle on the charger moves so it gives nice feedback). It's 100% diegetic and you equip the charger by just holding the flashlight button instead of pressing it, so you spend no time whatsoever looking at a menu or even a HUD element. That kind of thing is great but it's also way more work than adding a 2D inventory item for a lot of obvious reasons.

I don't expect misery to add work-intensive features like that but I would hope that after the five hundredth knickknack they've added to the inventory in service of "immersion" that someone on the team would have stood up and said "hey, isn't all this bullshit actually making the mod less immersive by forcing the player spend twice as long staring at a 2D menu as they are actually experiencing the game world?"
You've heard of GUNSLINGER, right? It's not out yet but it looks like it'll be exactly what you're talking about.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Is there, like, a Misery- mod? Something with the major gameplay, visual and combat changes but less :spergin: everything else?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
From that trailer alone, it just looks kind of bad.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Please god, don't be too "modern."

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'll say one thing, nu-GSC's Cossacks reboot was entirely faithful to their older games in the series, for better or worse.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 16, 2018

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Shut it down.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I know there's no overall story or win-condition for Dead Air, but I understand that there are faction questlines. Are these substantial, or are they just a string of generic missions? I haven't played any of the pure sandbox mods like COC at all.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Yeah it's for FO4.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
There's a big, new narrative-focused mod just came out, if you're like me and need some sort of throughline in your misery simulator.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/zoneexpanded-road-to-the-north

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
So is DESOLATE any good/a decent substitute for STALKER or is my friend who's into it just a lunatic?

E: Not gonna lie, the videos and the fact that said friend still likes DayZ isn't really selling me on it

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

turn off the TV posted:

Enemy HP/damage resistance/weapon damage doesn't change in any of the games. The player takes reduced damage on on novice in comparison to master. In SoC specifically the player's weapons also do more damage on novice than they do on master. Lower difficulties are just straight up easier. The problem is that Stalker punishes you for run and gun gameplay in an absurdly opaque way.

After you hit an enemy there is a one second window called "time to aim" where they will have upwards of a 100% damage reduction. Once that one second window is over a subsequent headshot will deal between 5-10x damage. The absolute best thing you can do is get an initial hit on an enemy, wait one second, and go for a headshot.

It's also extremely worth keeping in mind that bullets disappear after a certain distance, and in SoC it's absurdly low for the starting weapons. The starting pistol's bullets despawn after 50 meters, the sawn off shotgun's bullets vanish after 37. This is exacerbated by the fact that enemies are more accurate up close than they are further away.

Huh, never knew about that damage reduction thing, weird. Guessing most current mods do away with that in favour of their own gunplay mechanics.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
The claim I kept hearing was that higher difficulties increased lethality all around, so that both you and the enemies could take fewer shots to down. That's complete bull then?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I pray to god that they ignore most of today's open-world design conceits.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm currently playing Lost Alpha, but I did a brief install and try of Dead Air and Anomaly and the latter's definitely the one for me. Especially considering the latest beta adds a story campaign and I do need some structure to my STALKER.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Speaking of LA, is there a player stash anywhere or is it just not in the mod?

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Ended up uninstalling Lost Alpha today. Turns out it's actually bad??

Guess I'll wait for Anomaly 1.5 instead.

Mordja fucked around with this message at 02:21 on May 3, 2019

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
I'm waiting for the 1.5 final of ANOMALY but between that and Dead Air, I definitely preferred what I played of the former. It's still fiddly in the way basically all modern STALKER megamods are, but not as fiddly.

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
New addon mod for Anomaly, sounds pretty cool https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/beta-30-gromit

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
All of the big, current mods would bewilder, you should definitely get through a game of vanillla or lightly-modded COP first. You can skip Clear Sky, tbh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

Meridian posted:

I started with Call of Pripyat and enjoyed it a lot. Add a few mods to make it look a bit better, but vanilla is fine. Make sure you play on Master difficulty because of how damage in the game works.
Didn't someone in this very thread disprove that though? Higher difficulty=/=less enemy and player health like everyone thought.