Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Time to read Zinn posted:

I beat COP yesterday. It's the only one I've spent any significant time playing. Should I play SOC, or is it too old/simple in comparison?

The gameplay isn't as sharp as CoP, and there's a handful of quality of life things you'll be missing, but if you loved CoP, you'll loving love SoC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Seeing as at some point most fileshare sites seem to have some issue hosting the file, I threw it up on my dropbox for easy access.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/70742/Files/lua.JIT.1.1.4.rar

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ddraig posted:

"My idea was you were smuggled covert ops and betrayed by the stalkers/bandits and they robbed you and planned to take your 'virginity' as all bandits try with clean shaved military guys, since the zone is a wiener fest. Before that you just got away with a knife you had in your boot when they got attacked by mutties and thoughwounded you fled to the lonely house and passed out there. Just to find that the residents did not approve of you crashing their pad, since you ate their porridge. I said before right, seeing the torment of coughing and fear I think it was rather after that. Now hardened by the ordeal you have nothing to life for but to complete your mission and recover your honour, else your mission report might be quite a read.

The zone surely lacks women... "

Butt bandits :thumbsup:

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Lost Alpha is standalone. Download/torrent setup, run setup, play game. Don't put it in Program Files.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Acquire Currency! posted:

How long does this take to install the "main game files"?

Install sat for about 10 minutes at that screen for me.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Underground in Agorprom, chasing a Burer amidst a pack of zombies. I've used what feels like two hundred bullets and he's still truckin'. I lose him around a corner, so I decide to concentrate on the zombies. Move two rooms deeper, Burer right in my face.

Knifed him in the grill, he goes down.

Good to be back, STALKER.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

InequalityGodzilla posted:

So, just installed lost alpha and did a few starter missions before releasing the game wouldn't let me reload. At all. Pressed the key, went to settings and changed the key, fired off all the bullets in the mag, nothing. And then it crashed to desktop but then its a STALKER game so I'm not that surprised. Anyone else have that problem or have any idea how to fix it?

You have to put bullets on your belt.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

InequalityGodzilla posted:

Anyone else encountering a glitch in lost alpha where nothing is clickable on fox's repair/modify menu aside from repair and exit? I just rescued the bastard via a glorious quick draw moment where I killed all five of the sin guys in under 5 seconds and now I wanna mod my stuff :(
And I'm assuming it's nothing like "I need to find him a set of tools" because I did manage to briefly select the first upgrade on my armor after a solid 30 seconds of spastic and utterly random clicking that I haven't been able to recreate since.

For some reason, the clickable area is like four pixels to the left of the entire box, if you download the community bugfix patch it makes the whole thing clickable.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Acquire Currency! posted:

SoC just did a 1 mb update?

It's a multi-player patch that removes Gamespy and switches over to their own master servers, and also adds vsync.

http://www.stalker-game.com/en/?page=patches

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ddraig posted:

Here's part of the design notes for emissions I had planned.

http://pastebin.com/L82DgMig

Disturbing cloud patterns was right. I actually got a really cool texture artist to make a slight variation of the emission cloud patterns leading up to it that was pretty much a huge Skull looking down on the Zone if you looked at it right. A bitch to implement subtly but it was kind of neat when a few people I tested it with looked up and saw death itself staring down at them, kind of.

This poo poo sounds baller as gently caress

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Ddraig posted:

Worldwide exclusive! First screenshot from MDT's The Seed:

I would play Sugoi STALKER in a heartbeat.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Robot Randy posted:

If anyone else wants to hop on the Cheeki Breeki CS train, here's a link for my account. I'm not sure how many people it's good for, so first come first serve I guess.

https://account.survarium.com/en/referal/967C72DE5270FF5

Aw yeah, I'm all kinds of ready to :getin: to there, Stalker.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Azran posted:

Out of curiosity, what's the deal with Yantar? There's a horde of zombies and quite a strong psy-emission. Is that an event or is it always like that? (Never played SoC/CS)

X-16 and the Miracle Machine are there. You can talk to the Ecologist merchant Sakharov for more details.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Any weapon mod worth its salt does away with tiers. In vanilla, NATO weapons are better than Soviet in general, with stuff like the USP and Deagle being the best pistols, and the SIG and G36 being the best assault rifles. Really, though, with upgrades any weapon is viable, go with what looks the coolest to you.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
True, but once you start fighting Monolith, you'll never want for NATO ammo.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Morter posted:

I hate to ask but I don't want to use the "Beard Sells Everything" addon for Arsenal Overhaul 3, but...how soon can you get the VSS? Been hunting around for it for the better part of 6+ hours and I can't find it.

Lots of cool weapons, yes, but I want the VSS. :ohdear:

Couldn't you use the mod, buy the VSS, then remove it?

Failing that, I don't know if AO3 monkeys with vanilla stashes, but there's one on the burned farmstead anomaly northeast-ish of Skadovsk in Zaton.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Blistex posted:

3 hours into COC + AO3 and I've already got 1/2 a million RU.

Still trying to find kits for the repair guys though. I have the one in the Bar and Army warehouse up to level 2 for repairs, but I can't seem to get them up to level 3. They are not asking me for better tools. Do I need to find a special toolkit or is this a bug/feature?

Only one man does level 3 modifications. You'll find him in the Red Forest.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It's more that you can't really combine mods easily unless they're made compatible. Like two mods that add guns will only work properly if the relevant ltx files are appended to contain entries from both.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Millenia is a texture artist, not an animator.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Also, there's a bug I'm not quite sure the conditions for where if you are currently sprinting and drink an energy drink, you'll start gaining energy even though you're sprinting. If you don't stop you can do it the whole length of the energy drink plus however long your stamina lasts after that. Kind of handy.

It's not a bug, it means the stamina regen from the energy drink is more than the drain from sprinting. As you carry more stuff you'll quickly eclipse the regen.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Keep in mind that CoC has no storyline; it's more of a playable mod resource for others to build off of.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
God bless you.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Missing Name posted:

An idea I had was that a Zone directly on the opposite side of the globe from the original
forms. This would be the South Pacific, far from land. The opening cutscene would be a scientific helicopter expedition with Strelok doing a flyover, with him looking down at strange poo poo going on on and just below the surface of the ocean. Something something THE ZONE IS DESTABILIZING EVEN MORE and another (explorable) Zone pops up in Canada or something.

I'm listening.

Missing Name posted:

Also Strelok would be terminally ill with some Zone related disease and would be a supporting character for a new protagonist. There would be a very different atmosphere due to location, not to mention a significantly less Slavic influence.

I dunno.

I'm out.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

MariusLecter posted:

Has this been posted already?

Modding the Post-Apocalypse | S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Call of Chernobyl
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LzB1MY8tpHw

This is a really cool watch. He does a good job of touching upon why STALKER is so infinitely appealing and engrossing.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Cream-of-Plenty posted:

The firearms in Metro 2033 & LL are just so...lovingly assembled, you know? The "Shambler" shotgun is a perfect example of this: There are multiple reload animations that play depending on how many rounds are still left in the "cylinder" based on how that abortion of a firearm would feed and operate in real life:

The Shambler is my favorite fictional gun ever for precisely this reason. It just feels so good to use.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Barring bugs, Clear Sky's actually pretty good.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
STALKER gives its players an almost-completely unique experience every time you play because the game is so unscripted. My story through The Zone is entirely unlike anyone else's.

Metro, on the other hand, is a very linear, guided game. Everyone's experience is going to be largely the same.

Not that one is inherently better than the other, but they are very different games.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Except maybe heading into that cave just southeast of Skadosvk and getting your face ripped off. That happens to everyone in STALKER.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'd definitely be down for getting cyka blyat yelled at me there

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
It only needs to be as moddable and flexible as previous STALKER games and it'll all be fine

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100

Kokoro Wish posted:

Watch it be streaming exclusive.

You can just go ahead and loving die

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
teethi breeki

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
That looks absurdly good and I am positive that my GTX 1070 has no hope of running it.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
STALKER is triple A as in you get caught in three anomalies and ripped to shreds

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I just survived an emission by ripping a fat blunt

It's good to be back in The Zone

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
Is there somewhere or some way to get a fresh pair of binoculars in GAMMA? I made the age-old mistake of installing night-vision on mine and now they're unusable.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I just saw it in the tools menu, perfect, thank you!

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I got absurdly lucky this morning, holy cow.

After doing a bunch of odd jobs around Cordon and the Great Swamp, getting rewarded with and also buying a couple of stash coordinates, I made the dive into Garbage, where an overwhelming number of them were located. While there, I lit up another boof and got to explore during an emission and collect all of my goodies in peace. I ended up with:

• PU-Scoped SKS in dynamite condition
  • 3 sets of Basic Tools (to add to the one I already had)
  • A set of Advanced Tools
  • Drug-making Kit
  • Other assorted stuff mostly stripped off of bad guns in bad condition, like silencers and some C-More and EOTech sights, but the two most crucial things:
  • Enough materials to not only make a new set of Binoculars, but upgrade my headlamp all the way to the PN21KL with night-vision (and it's the good shader)
  • A Nomad stalker suit and enough materials to make a medium armor repair kit and get that bad boy up to 69% (nice) condition

I was literally whistling as I treked my way back to my temporary base of operations of the Northern Farm in Cordon.

I've consistently bounced off of the free-play STALKER mods in the past despite trying pretty much all of them, but I think with a combination of age and GAMMA going out of its way to not be ball-bustingly hard and opaque (that update from yesterday that shows you crafting associations in tooltips is :discourse:) this is really hitting just right.

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
I'd like to say it's been great for taking out the Bandits that keep assaulting the Farm, but the five or six Loners that are posted up there absolutely decimate them while I'm inside with the traders making important deals.

EDIT: But it did help me out taking out three Mercenaries in Wild Territory while on my current trip to Rostok. They each had a Desert Eagle. One was black, one was silver, one was gold.

I've never felt more justified in killing in a video game ever.

Namnesor fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 23, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Namnesor
Jun 29, 2005

Dante's allowance - $100
you will never convince me to use a deagle