Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pripyat is northwest of Kiev. I don't watch the news, but I'm pretty sure it hasn't gotten that far west.

Yeah, the areas to watch out for are the Donetsk and Luhansk oblasts.

Kiev and the surrounding areas are pretty safe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Ahundredbux posted:

Hmm consider not going to a mismanaged radioactive disaster zone

You make a compelling argument but on the other hand it's really loving cool.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
OGSM for Clear Sky is legit the most fun I've had with a Clear Sky mod that wasn't The Faction Wars.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Eargesplitten asked for this so I figured I'd post it here:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/73syozmm8p49f17/Clear_Sky.7z

OGSM, the latest updated version I could find, with SWTC ontop of it.

This is basically like the original OGSM for SoC in that it adds a bunch of pseudo-cut content, and makes gameplay more varied/interesting. SWTC also looks nice.

It's very badly translated at the moment so YMMV

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
The water in chernobyl isn't very radioactive, for numerous reasons, one of which is the water cycle.

Most radioactive things are pretty much forests, large structures etc because they tend to cling onto any radiation they get hold of and accumulate it.

In Chernobyl itself you can actually get so close to Reactor 4 itself it's ridiculous. Like, it feels like it couldn't possibly be safe to get as close to the epicenter of the entire thing as you can, but it turns out the sarcophagus was actually that good at containing it, and the new containment structure looks like it'll be even better than the temporary, makeshift thing they put up initially.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Avocados posted:

Is this in game or are you the one goon who's vacationing with his girlfriend/wife to chernobyl?

The latter. We went and it was cool.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Klaus88 posted:

How much did you spend in bribes to get in?

Despite popular belief I'd imagine it would actually be incredibly difficult to do this. I guess it would technically be possible to sneak in or bribe your way in but it would probably be more difficult and more expensive than to just go through the official sources, seeing as how there's about three checkpoints and an entire radioactive forest to go through if you want to sneak in.

It makes for a nice romantic story but the easiest way to get in is just plain bureaucracy.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
My girlfriend is the better photographer so she took plenty, so I'll get them off her.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Photoshop bloodsucker eyes into a dark corner, post on reddit, go viral, feel like you wasted your time anyway.

The latter point is pretty good, I feel. I mean, we got to see a lot of abandoned buildings but at times it's pretty much like walking through a badly constructed set because of all the people who've been through there before staging photographs and not really taking any consideration to keep it as they found it. There's not a single original photograph to be had there.

As an avid boyscout back in the day, I firmly believe in the credo of "Leave things better than you found them", except in fringe cases like this where people want to see things as they originally were, and not your particular 'improved' version etc.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

NeoSeeker posted:

So I have CoC 1.2 installed, I drop in AO3 the game runs fine. Then as soon as I drop in Warfare and the patch for AO3 it stops working.

Most likely culprit is that Warfare and the patch are using an old script for COC that is incompatible with the current version. I suspect this may be the case as Darryl has been making GBS threads out COC stuff so much it's insane, and I'd imagine it would be hard for most mod makers to keep up.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
One of the english Stalker books, "Southern Comfort", is actually about a New Zone in Afghanistan.

It's quite a good book, as far as video game tie ins go.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
COC 1.4 is essentially going to be a huge overhaul of how COC works and has a huge bunch of changes, including playable zombies, new start locations, improved alife, a basic storyline etc.

I know Darryl and he's been working super hard on it. It's probably not a huge exaggeration to say that 1.4 is going to be to COC what COC was to the Stalker series.

E: I'm not sure what's going on with Radium at the moment since for various reasons I won't get into I don't have a PC at the moment so I'm off the team for a while but before I left we were working on making it entirely for COC since it would probably fit far better on the COC system than the COP one.

So that's something to look forward to. Before I left I spent a long time adding the new emission stuff to all the COC levels so virtually every single map is going to be affected by them in a huge way including hosed up lights, broken electronics etc.

Rush Limbo fucked around with this message at 10:40 on Sep 21, 2016

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

Monolith. posted:

So whats so good about CoC? I've played a bit and I assume its basically the ultimate freeplay mod? It is cool to play ShoC levels in the Pripyat engine.

At the moment, yeah it's the ultimate freeplay mod.

In the current official release its very bare bones but it has virtually every level ever included in the Stalker games stitched into a cohesive whole so everything makes sense.

1.4 is definitely going to shake things up though. It's going to be an entirely new game.

I'm also slightly proud that Darryl chose one of my suggestions for an achievement name: Duga Free

I was quite proud of that pun.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
A lot of the SoC maps are actually Clear Sky versions because they're technically the best version of them. They're running in an engine that's not terrible now though so you'd be forgiven for thinking they're SoC maps because they actually run well now.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
DMX has multiple new melee weapons aswell a new ui element that lets you equip them.

The only real stalker game that has mods with any focus on melee weapons is SoC and even then only a few do because adding them in game in an intuitive way is a huge pain in the rear end.

I guess COP would also let you do this as you can make knives into slot items but the only mod that does this is Misery, I think, and even then it does it poorly.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
There's a few hard mode choices in COC. Zombies, Mercs, Military and Monolith have pretty much everyone hating them and very little opportunity to engage in commerce.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
You don't even technically need CoP since its standalone, the only purpose of it is that the install requires you to have Call of Pripyat somewhere on your system otherwise the COC team are essentially giving away a Stalker game for free.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I can't play COC at the moment but I want to know if Darryl did what I suggested and changed the name of Darkscape. That was its development name, much like the Cordon is referred to as Escape in all game files.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

staberind posted:

I'll go check.

Nimble's handbook (loadscreen info) No 17 refers to that area as Darkscape, Its still called Darkscape on the map.
Speaking of the map, how can I get rid of the smart terrain markers?

Oh!, when you dick about with the fov, you get all the dev info onscreen, just save and load and its gone.

Noooo. I keel him.

Anyway my idea was that it was to be called The Dark Hollow because that's what it is, and what it was supposed to be called before it was cut from SoC.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

MariusLecter posted:

Yo DDraig, Is the Epic Stalker site down or am I doing something wrong?

Works for me. epicstalker.com

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
I'm not sure if I've expressed it before, but I was disappointed with AO3 and how badly they seemingly implemented it into COC. Some things were just straight up not done properly.

This was so bad that COC actually included, in its own patches, functionality for AO3 to work properly.

I'm not sure if AO3 has a new version for COC 1.4 but I suspect many of the problems people are getting with AO3 are due to them half assing it.

There was a fan port before the official one that actually looked at COC and how various scripts etc use them and actually created a fairly competent port. Far better integrated than the official one.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Default COC is literally identical to COP in weapon configs, damage etc.

I think COC fixes a few bugs and that's it. It's functionally identical to COP, with all the balance issues that comes with that.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house

The Insect Court posted:

Any advice on how OGSE compares to Lost Alpha? I'm trying to decide on which big SoC mod to install, these two both seem to add a bunch of stuff but OGSE appears to win on features and LA on content. Do either/both have the annoying mod tendency of adding bullet sponge enemies or lots of tedious backtracking to increase 'difficulty'?

I'll say this about Lost Alpha:

You know how it's kind of implied in game that the Zone is a massive experiment that went horribly wrong and it's now almost a living creature itself?

This asks a few interesting questions like if science fetishism might be harmful or even the nature of what constitutes life.

In Lost Alpha this doesn't even matter because the illuminati literally made the Zone to be a testing ground for superior humans. I wish I was making that up. The big reveal, the huge twist, is that the Zone is literally Total Wipeout with Bullets.

I haven't spoiled Lost Alpha, Dezowave already did that.

Go with OGSE. A lot of the content from the beta made it in, and it's frankly better made. Even basic stuff like surge effects don't work in Lost Alpha. They literally managed to break the engine function that forces a weather change so the surge runs but the weather remains completely unchanged.

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
Oblivion Lost Remake is the big competitor to Lost Alpha. Not the Oblivion Lost mod that is the AMK style one, this is a brand new standalone one.

There's an English translation floating around out there for it, and the next major version is going to have an in-house translation, I think.

OLR is basically what Lost Alpha should have been.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IeIf7qTFDdE

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
That was written by Koma who is an English speaker. He is a former channer, though

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rush Limbo
Sep 5, 2005

its with a full house
If they're the ones I made they should. I basically just compared textures from all three versions of AS/AN with textures already extant in COC and chose the higher quality ones.

Someone messaged me a while ago saying that it was broken by a patch but I literally only ever got that message so I assumed it was just an incorrect install.