Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Dvsilverwing posted:

So what's the consensus on ArmStalker among the thread?

Uninstalled it almost immediately. It somehow managed to look and run way worse than a game that was released a decade ago.

But I didn't try the multiplayer, so maybe that part of it is really good and totally redeeming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

turn off the TV posted:

I think that Autumn Aurora 2.1 might be the best update/overhaul type mod at the moment. I haven't played SoC in a couple of years and never got very far with AA, but I've heard good things.

I played it, it really improves the look of SoC. I'd recommend it.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
try turning on toggle crouch, i think it's in the key bindings

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

my bony fealty posted:

Try Call of Misery if you haven't. The slower pace and lack of "I am the god of the Zone after playing for 4 hours" makes for a much better experience imo.

There's also MLR which is a big modpack that has as of today apparently been fully translated into English - http://www.moddb.com/addons/mlr

Adds quests and a bunch of other stuff.

Has anyone encountered this when trying to use MLR with the English patch?

edit: oops, i just forgot to download the CoC patch http://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/downloads/coc-1422-patch

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Feb 25, 2018

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I'm also on CoC 1.4.22 with MLR

For whatever reason, my companions have unlimited HP, and they insist on standing uncomfortably close to me in enclosed spaces. I was able to ask them all to leave me alone, except for one named Alpha, who I met in the Meadow. He doesn't have any dialogue options when you talk to him.

Fatty gave me a mission to kill him, but instead we're besties now :shrug:

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
I hope stalker2 winds up being good.

In the meantime, I've got a .ltx question about CoC. In stalker, each gun can potentially have different mouse sensitivity. Pistols are fast, larger rifles are slow. This annoys me, so I wanna disable it.

I did some research and found that control_inertion_factor is the variable that does this. So I'm going to go through each file in gamedata/configs/weapons/*.ltx and set everything to control_inertion_factor = 1.0

Or is there a smarter way to do this? Like: is there a one-line change I can do in another file that will achieve the same effect?

edit: this worked by the way! great improvement, highly recommended. if you want to do this, and for some reason you're using unix utils in cygwin:

code:
cd 'F:/S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Call of Chernobyl/gamedata/configs'

git init
git add .
git commit -m init

for i in weapons/*.ltx; do 
  sed -e 's/^\(control_inertion_factor.*= \)\(.*\)/\11.0/g' -i $i 
  unix2dos.exe $i
done

git commit -m 'change control_inertion_factor in all files to 1.0' .

Helianthus Annuus fucked around with this message at 17:35 on May 19, 2018

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

poverty goat posted:

sounds like somebody left for red forest without enough bullets

lol, just lol if you are trying to finish SoC with anything other than a scoped nato ar

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
lmao if you didnt camp Barin while he's leaving Rostok so you can take his unique 5.45x39 groza after he gets instagibbed by a pack of wild dogs

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
If you install CoC you can use the cheat menu to give yourself whatever items you want at the start. You have to put -dbg in the command line options for your shortcut to Stalker-CoC.exe. Then once you are in-game, you can hit "ESC" to get to the menu, then press the "S" button.

Highly dishonorable, but worth it if you don't want to play the tedious inventory minigame anymore.

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
For a more casual stalker, install CoC and then maybe some add ons:

https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/downloads/call-of-chernobyl-1412-full
https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons/stcop-weapon-pack

There's other stuff you can try too. For example, try Arsenal Overhaul instead of STCOP. Just note which version of CoC is required in the description. https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/addons

If you're looking for something more hardcore (and you can stomach the inventory screen tedium):

https://www.moddb.com/mods/dead-air
https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-misery

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
https://www.moddb.com/mods/call-of-chernobyl/news/what-happened-to-call-of-chernobyl-15

tl;dr nobodys working on it anymore

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
lost alpha is like soc vanilla, but with 10x as many documents to find and story quests to do

recommended if only because it's all new maps, and they're huge

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Mordja posted:

Speaking of LA, is there a player stash anywhere or is it just not in the mod?

a while ago i completely lost patience with the inventory in stalker, so now i always edit the game files to give myself unlimited space

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
lost alpha is like.. stalker, but double spaced, 13pt font, and 2 in margins

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
you must first extract the .db files into the gamedata dir in order to make changes to them. then there is a fsdata.ltx change to make to actually load the files

there’s a tool to extract the files on moddb. i’m phone posting otherwise i would find it for you

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Siljmonster posted:

Yo wtf I didn't notice this

i dont have it in mine

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

staberind posted:

Its good to be back in the Zone, however, no-one not buying anything at less than 75-40% ticked me off, so, I unpacked the db and edited the trade ltx's to accept stuff up to 0.001% Its the Zone, everyone can find a use for something.

i recommend initializing a git repo in gamedata so you can track your changes, but only add the ltx and xml files

also be advised: every time theres an updated .db file, you have to unpack it and put it in gamedata rather than following the official instructions

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
are you looking for configs/items/weapons/weapon_ammo.ltx ?

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

yeah i concur with this assessment

When it first came out, i was extremely suspicious of Clear Sky because it was released maybe one year the first one. March 20, 2007 for SoC and August 22, 2008 for CS. This was after SoC was in development for like a decade. Sure enough, CS was hastily cobbled together from reused assets. Totally perfunctory.

But i guess they added the ability for the AI to lob grenades, that definitely spices things up

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Riversideblues posted:

Finally getting around to playing these games after watching Chernobyl. Doing them in the release order since that's what's recommended.

I went through the FAQ and tried to extract The Zone Reclamation Project, but I'm not sure I can tell whether it installed successfully? I'm playing the Steam version and when I installed it into the steamapps/common/STALKER pathway it didn't overwrite anything, but none of the folders it added existed there beforehand.

I tried the config change to adjust the actor height form 0.85 to 0.94 but I still seem quite short. That's made me skeptical as to whether the Reclamation Project worked properly, is there anything I can do to check in game to verify?

The original Stalker game needs this cfg change in fsgame.ltx, which should be in the game install dir. Otherwise mods never get loaded

code:
$game_data$ = false| true| $fs_root$| gamedata
Change "false" to "true":

code:
$game_data$ = true| true| $fs_root$| gamedata

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Killswitch posted:

Where can i buy 9x39 ammo in call of chernobyl? I finally got my hands on a groza but seems like no one sells the ammo... is there some level of progress i need to achieve to make it available?

i dont think so.. i guess i would try the duty or freedom merchants. maybe the bar man? i dont think sidorovich is gonna have them

you can save scum (quick save and quick load) in front of a merchant to refresh his inventory. try that a few times, and if it doesn't work after a few times, visit someone else

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

slow_twitch posted:

have any of you heard of, or tried the game Into The Radius?

Just popped up on my steam page and it is stalker in VR.. I think at this stage i'd buy a VR setup just to get more stalkin time

didnt know about it

looks cool, but i dont have vr

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

nexus6 posted:

Edit: nvm, found it. Had to unpack a db file

its always this

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer
spawn as monolith and fight your way to the cordon

sidorovich will still sell you a leather jacket and some makarov bullets even after you ice all of his friends lol

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

Missing Name posted:

*unless you're being stealthy and haven't been noticed

this post might not be clear, so let me clarify:

if you are trying to be stealthy, and you quick save... when you quick load, the first thing your character is gonna do is noisily rack the slide, alerting everyone in earshot

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

ThaumPenguin posted:

Hey so if I were to go back to X-16 just a day or two after turning off the Miracle Machine, would it already be full of monsters again? I'm asking because I just learnt there were some valuable documents there I was supposed to have picked up :cripes:

probably no mutants, but some hostile stalkers might have moved in and set up shop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Helianthus Annuus
Feb 21, 2006

can i touch your hand
Grimey Drawer

BrotherJayne posted:

True Stalker is pretty good so far

Def miss my poo poo from Anomaly tho

seconding this recommendation for True Stakler

the good:
- multiple playable characters