Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Gestalt Intellect posted:

Also what is this doing up here.

Looks like he's just sunbathing, catching some radioactive rays.

Hello Goons,
I wish to play STALKER again, I was obsessed with MISERY 2 but I'm wondering what else is out there. Is there anything with a new campaign? It'd be nice to play through a new story. Lost Alpha looked promising but I've heard people say it's actually quite dull gameplay wise.

tl:dr Recommend me a mod

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Gestalt Intellect posted:

gently caress we couldn't scam very much money last time

gently caress it just do it again but actually call it S.T.A.L.K.E.R. this time look we even made one original asset

This angers me more than it should because I want it to be real so badly. Damnit Areal, leave S.T.A.L.K.E.R. alone!

Also them claiming use of "Stalker" as a common word makes the title "Stalker Apocalypse" quite terrifying.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Holy moly CoC with OWR3 is an absolute blast. The enemies feel a bit soft having come from Misery (I can survive the bloodsucker love bites :v:) but the freedom and sheer amount of areas is brilliant.

Started as a loner, went to the swamp and helped the clear sky guys with a bandit problem. Took the bandit gear and used it to clear out a nearby military camp that was giving clear sky trouble. Helped another loner fend off a bloodsucker and then traded him some buckshot for a sausage. The roleplay is real, I am in the zone.

The load times too, good lord! I didn't know STALKER could load this quickly. This is an awesome framework and I'm looking forward to seeing what people mod in on top of this.

My only complaints don't really apply because they're outside the scope of CoC. I'd love to see more monsters, weapons and quests however. Eager to see what the modding community farts out for CoC.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Budgie Jumping posted:

I... kinda like the new misery. The micromanagement isn't that terrible, and I just really like being a dude in a ghillie suit who kills 12 mercs, loots their poo poo, snorts a couple lines of coke and sprints back home trailed by packs of wild dogs. Thing is, I can't find a single goddamn set of tools. And I wish they'd update the radio.

I would enjoy misery more if I could find a god drat lighter!

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Budgie Jumping posted:

Is there a mod that adds non-Ukrainian stalkers to the game? Like, you'd think a place like the Zone would attract fortune-seekers from around the globe, or at least other kinds of Slavs.

Not sure if this applies in the STALKER universe but in Roadside Picnic there are zones all around the world at various points in a straight line. Implying some sort of incomprehensible alien invasion or simply that the aliens accidentally dropped some things that happened to land on Earth. So I guess the Europeans would go to the eurozone if that was the case.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Appoda posted:

You're right. Now we just need a mod overhaul that takes the zone back to its Canadian roots, eh!

Only if guns are removed, all factions get along and all the STALKERs are super helpful to the guys coming into the rookie village.
Basically everybody is Freedom.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Quicksilver6 posted:

I would love to see other Zones. Are the anomalies the same worldwide? Could an all Canadian arsenal match up to Slav guns? Sadly we'll never know, I guess...

It's not really covered indepth, it's just mentioned that there are other zones. The book only goes into detail about the canuckzone. Although in my mind it's always the slavzone cos STALKER.

There's a bit where people that were buried in a cemetery in the zone are coming back from the dead and just returning home but not really doing anything. They're completely harmless and very slow. I guess like the zombies in STALKER if they didn't have guns.

Seriously I'd recommend the book to everybody interested in the game cos it does go into some pretty good detail about the anomalies and artefacts found in the zone.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

I was reading all of your posts about CoM at work today. Sounds like my cup of tea.
Whilst I was digging I stumbled across Last Day. Anybody had a chance to play this?

The description sounds very promising:
"S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Last Day is a S.T.A.L.K.E.R. mod pack based on Call of Misery, differing considerably from most addons to a point where it cannot quite be classified as an addon itself. It includes not only STCoM, but also several addons previously unknown to the majority of the western S.T.A.L.K.E.R. community"

Powering through the 8GB download whilst watching this guy play it.

e: sitrep, it's pretty good

Jarf fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 11, 2017

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Anybody know why Barkeep in Rostok won't trade with me?

Really inconvenient. I need water and there's just no trade button... playing Last Day if that helps.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

darkhand posted:

My CoM load times are like a minute long and the flashlight is completely glitched :( I thought my PC was ok too, it plays mgs5 fine. I might try Last Day later tonight.

Btw What is the game loop for these CoC type mods anyways?

Are there areas you're supposed to gear up in the early game?

Put it on a SSD if you can. Load times between areas are ludicrously quick for me. Although Last Day comes with options to allow the game to use more RAM and CPU cores so maybe it is also that.

As for gameplay some areas are more hostile than others. General rule is the further North you go the more dangerous it gets. Currently I'm hopping between Rostok, Army Warehouses, Garbage, Cordon and the Great Swamp running errands for folk until I can cobble together enough gear and ammo to go further into the zone and investigate the miracle machine, brain scorcher, underground labs, etc.

I guess the game loop of Last Day is being a poverty stricken Stalker trying to find enough rubles to not die of starvation.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

v1ld posted:

DX11 shouldn't be used in any of the Stalker games, it's lacking the features in 9 & 10 - though RADIUM looks like it fixes this and then some.

I'm curious about this. I've been running in DX11 mode pretty much forever. Am I missing out? DX9 makes it look like a PS2 game but I haven't dabbled with DX10.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

live free or dont posted:

Can someone explain Last Day to me? Its like Call of Misery but different how? I looked at the ModDB site but didnt understand the difference.

To quote the "read more" bit it adds the following:

quote:

STCoM
MLR 5.4
Axebeards FieldCraft v1d
Campfire Cooking 0.45
Companions Quick Menu 1.0
Deployable Tent F.Build
DoctorX Dynamic Anomalies 1.3
DoctorX Questlines
Hand_Crank_Generator_0.1
Immersive fast travel 1.0
LootMoney
Outfit Addon Extended Edition
DK Changes
Dangerous NPCs
Explosion of damaged weapons
Fast travel
Ghillie suit from Misery 2.1
NanoCell Inventory
No Ammo HUD
Old Ammo - new ammunition variants
Outfit Marauder - lootable apparel on corpses
Physical appearance of money
Smart Artifact Spawn
Squads on PDA
Thirst simulation
Work As A Guide 4.2
Additionally, there are new models for NPC's and mutants, new artifacts, new mutant parts, new consumables, a simulated PDA network, stash descriptions (like in Shadow of Chernobyl), new icons, new music, new radio tracks, changes in prices, PDA tabs from Call of Chernobyl 1.5 (relations, encyclopedia etc.) and more.
Essentially it's just a big ol' compilation of mods for Call of Misery. IMO it makes it a lot more enjoyable then CoM, I personally found CoM artificially difficult and not that much fun where as with Last Day I'm finding myself returning to it day after day to slowly advance my character and get a little bit further into the zone. Building relations with factions, working odd jobs. For me it's the ultimate "roleplay a poverty stricken stalker in an incredibly hostile environment" whilst still being fun.

Also I made a video of myself doing battle with bloodsuckers. They are next level difficult in this mod...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B-Uh6oroEQ

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Morter posted:

Hey that actually makes it sound attractive to me. Is it a linear experience like the base games or can I spend a lot of time not advancing the story?

You can ignore the story altogether if you want. It's based 10 years after the events of CoP.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

null_pointer posted:

Is there still no real "story"? A couple comments seem to be implying that Last Day / Call of Misery has a story outside of the "set your own goals" thing.

You can start the game with objectives to disable the brain scorcher, reach the miracle machine etc. After a while you'll run into Doctor who says you remind him of Strelok and asks you to find out what happened to him and if he found hard evidence of a conspiracy which involves you going to all the underground labs, etc

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

v1ld posted:

If anyone's playing CoM (as opposed to Last Day), a couple of features from LD have been backported to the CoM Tweaks mod. Both are super useful so I thought I'd mention them here.
- Double click on mutant parts to loot them
- The MISERY armor/weapon condition checker item

The Com+LD+AA2 HUD has been updated to use the bleeding texture from A.R.E.A. which is a nice improvement.

Hey this is a nice HUD. Thanks for the link.

Whilst I'm here. Does anybody know what file I would need to modify to slow how quickly the player character uses stamina? The only thing bumming me out with Last Day is only being able to sprint about 10m even when I'm below the carry limit.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

v1ld posted:

configs/creatures/actor.ltx has these entries (power is stamina)

Thankyou very much.

Just stumbled across this on Reddit. Some kind of STALKER fan film? The trailer looks rad.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lFZdF9nkTy0

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

v1ld posted:

configs/creatures/actor.ltx has these entries (power is stamina):
code:
stand_power             = -0.0075
walk_power              = 0.00001	;Reduction of force for a second during walking without taking into account weight of a burden
walk_weight_power       = 0.0044	;Reduction of force for a second during walking in view of weight of a burden, for the maximal allowable weight
overweight_walk_k       = 1.10		;Factor influence of an overload of a burden (it is multiplied on walk_weight_power)
accel_k                 = 1.3		;Factor on run (it is multiplied walk_power, walk_weight_power)
sprint_k                = 3.0 		; "sprint" (walk_power, walk_weight_power)

Update on this. I set the values back to (almost) vanilla values and am now having a much better time in Last Day. Being able to sprint for more than 3 seconds makes things a lot less tedious. I left the overweight value at the increased Last Day amount because I enjoy having to manage my inventory and deciding what is worth hauling back to a trader.

Also a video, I got my revenge on Skinflint for punching me in the side of the head!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QPDxSJx_FrM

e: my video is dark as gently caress seeing it on the monitor at work. Going to see what I can do about brightness levels.

Jarf fucked around with this message at 16:16 on Dec 6, 2017

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

The Jumpoff posted:

CoC question, that i'm going to spoiler to not ruin the surprise for anyone who hasn't played it, what the gently caress kind of enemy is this weird rear end mist/black fog that creeps up on you and just viciously murders you silently? I ran into it in the Garbage while on a random mission and icouldn't find where to shoot it to do any damage to it.

I'm not 100% about this but it sounds like it's a poltergeist, can be tricky to deal with. Look for something that looks like a ball of lightning in the mist and shoot at that.

Or maybe I'm completely wrong.

Also, unrelated to your post, I love reading new players experiences :allears:

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Monolith. posted:

If you all are feeling real adventurous and have a lot of patience, downgrade your ShoC to 1.0004 and try out LEGENDARY. The only mod Ive finished and despite the frequent crashes, it was the most fun STALKER mod I have ever played. Not sure where the source files are but you might try that Mega repository.

Is it this one? http://www.moddb.com/mods/legendary-20
Had a quick google after reading your post. Good lord that's a lot of weapons!

e: looks promising gonna give it a bash, thanks for the recommendation.

Jarf fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Feb 21, 2018

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

my bony fealty posted:

Dead Air English translation came out. I've only played for about 30 minutes but liking it so far. Not unfairly difficult, stealth does seem to work better, and it runs really well on my oldass PC to boot.

There is nothing listed here for me.
https://www.moddb.com/mods/dead-air/downloads

Where do I get this hot new mod!?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

BillyJoeBob posted:

It's up! Installing the mod files, patching, translating and were off! It's been so long though, what's this mod do again other than get me hyped?

Am I being dumb? I see the english translation file but where do I get the actual mod?

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Anybody have a link to that "STALKER season 1" video that was like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z1RInh88-B0 but with STALKER footage interspersed in it. Cannot find it anywhere.

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Fosson posted:

I thought the same thing and saw that the default was .5 stalkers and .75 mutants. When I started it said like 430 people in the zone, and starting in Cordon was maybe groups of 2-3z

I got an Anomaly add-on pack tonight which I had to start a new game for (worth it, holy poo poo) and I bumped stalkers up to .75 to start. Immediately saw the difference, Elevator had some bandits scurrying about and raising hell, Farm had 5 stalkers chilling at the fire alone...so far this change has been gaming nirvana haha

Which pack are you using? I've been using this one: https://www.moddb.com/mods/stalker-anomaly/addons/nekros-addonpack. Will be sure to up the population modifier.

Also I was occasionally getting a crash where the AMD Radeon software would come up saying the driver timed out. This appears to have fixed it: https://www.reddit.com/r/stalker/comments/ks2h8m/stalker_anomaly_crash_amd/

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Holy poo poo weapons overhaul 2.2 looks great!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H_Fj7qOLXZg

Think I might need to start a new game with this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jarf
Jun 25, 2006

PLATINUM

Pro tip. If you enable the crosshair but set alpha to 0 you still get the red/yellow dot when over an NPC.