Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sober
Nov 19, 2011

First touch: Life.
Second touch: Dead again. Forever.
Peter Pan is the hero we deserve for taking Henry away from us. Also playing a convincing villain, hopefully.

Off to a good start, hopefully it has some steam in it. I mean, S2 started out strong but kinda tripped over itself.

edit: also Greg and Tamara being unceremoniously straight up :black101: super quickly was hilarious.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Merlinicus posted:

I was more surprised how quickly they just disposed of that whole plot. It almost seemed like the script went "NEW SEASON GUYS, KILL EVERYONE OFF AND START FRESH." I understand there's technically continuation if they were working for Pan the whole time, but still.
I'm hoping they just jettison Storybrooke for all if not most of this season. I was kinda pissed they kept them there last season and really didn't do anything with it.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

Just watched OUAT: Wonderland. The thing that bothered me the most: what the hell time period is it supposed to be? You see Alice in Victorian London as a child, who then vows to convince her father that Wonderland is real. Then, a presumably short amount of time later, she's a fully grown teenager. So did she go back to Wonderland at some point? And if so, when? To make matters worse, we have the Knave guy waltzing into present-day 2010s Storybrooke and then going back to save Alice... again, in Victorian London? Huh? Did he time travel?
Wibbly wobbly timey wimey!

I'm guessing the Knave of Hearts was somewhere that the curse brought him to Storybrooke or he found his way there somehow. Because unlike Jefferson/The Mad Hatter he is exactly sure of who he is (correct me if I'm wrong but I am kinda forgetting if Jefferson was cursed but then somehow remembered his daughter, etc.). Not sure how time works in the series but whatever, but yeah Victorian London with adult Alice. Maybe Alice is from a different version of Earth that's in Victorian London during our present time? Multiverse much? :psyduck:

winvirus posted:

Apparently, Josh Dallas and Ginnifer Goodwin fell in love and are getting married or something: http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20744536,00.html?v=desktop
Heard about them dating for a while (frankly they have great chemistry IMO which makes their flashback scenes so good) so not entirely surprised here.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

LEFTENANT RIGHTIE posted:

That would be way too cool a twist for this show. If they did that right that would have been awesome.

I used to really not mind the Charmings, especially after season 1 when they were the pinnacle of annoying and the obnoxious soap opera story got dropped. I thought Daddy Charming with some balls on him wasn't so bad.

But jesus christ this season have they been annoying. Ever since that wonderfully nuanced scene with Snow White and Regina where Regina goes 'There's darkness in your heart... Here, let me physically pull it out and show it to you, see, right there, some darkness. Yep. Darkness of the heart is this little black smudge somewhere in your aorta.' Snow White's just been a huge pain.

Regina was actually the one who always kind of got on my nerves with the 'I make dumb decisions left and right but look at my sad backstory,' but this season it really feels like the character is moving forward in her arc. By season two it was like they were having her act comically 'evil' for, at times, no purpose at all. Now the more distant she becomes from the Charmings the more we're shown she is growing as a character, whereas the Charmings are now stuck in the melodramatic rut she used to be in. The writers need to understand they're not writing a disney animated movie, part of the fun of writing fairytale characters for a drama is you get to have more fleshed out characters with more layered motivations and struggles and goals. Enough with the 'the power of good' monologues.

Sometimes it's like these writers have these golden opportunities for characterization and then go 'Eh... nah.' You don't need characters to act dumb or obtuse in order to generate conflict; that's not conflict, that's melodrama, and it's the opposite of engaging conflict- it's boring.
I rather like Snow White/Prince Charming, but the problem is that sometimes they still have Mary Margaret or David Whocaresabouthislastname coming through. So yeah they still kinda suck in the present plot while their flashback selves are much more entertaining to watch (give or take a few from S2). But yeah I agree since they are kinda out of their fairy tale now (by which I mean getting cursed then uncursed and so forth) they should stop being stupid fairy tale characters and become real ones. It's kinda sad to see when their pre-curse selves have a bit more nuance than their post-cursed selves.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Anyone been keeping up on Wonderland? IMO it's gotten pretty good and I really enjoyed the episode this week. Although it was pretty drat obvious the unnamed prisoner in the cage was the Sultan and Jafar's father as soon as he mentioned in one episode his father, the Sultan, cast him out. All we really learned here is was a bastard but it would've been pretty obvious by then. But still good. The guy playing Alice's father impressed me as well.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Macaluso posted:

So I just marathoned the past 2 and a half seasons this past week and I'm all caught up now and I love this show to death. I love Rumplestiltskin and Belle. I'm a little disappointed reading the OP though, does everyone here really view the show as a "guilty pleasure that we watch because it's so bad it's good"? Cause I think it's a legit good show. There aren't many bad things about it to me besides some of the CG not being great which isn't surprising.

I mean this thread isn't like Dexter where everyone hates the show but keeps watching because ??? is it

Also the part in season 2 when Hook shoots Belle causing her to fall over the city line and lose her memories, I haven't been so mad at a TV show in a long time
Other than the CG, the show is good. Also I am a sucker for the LOST format, which is pretty clear because a bunch of the writers and showrunners I believe also worked on LOST. They take a lot of cues from that. Sometimes the plots are just eye-roll worthy and S2 dipped a bit but I always enjoy seeing what happens and the flashbacks are pretty much always the best part if only so our anti-heroes, aka the Evil Queen and Rumple can be straight up loving evil without simply always implying it (or because the Charmings are actually bearable pre-Curse).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Macaluso posted:

Wait why poor Grumpy? Grumpy was into Nova/Astrid, not the blue fairy
And Amy Acker is probably never coming back either. :shrug:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ashez2ashes posted:

It sure felt series finale-ish.

Was the Blue Fairy playing possum or something? "Sorry guys, I was pretending to be dead because I didn't really want to use my magical powers to help you in any way".

I did not understand why Neil had to leave. He didn't arrive with the curse.
Blue's shadow got returned (not properly 'dead' I suppose) so Pan's shadow dying caused hers to return to her body I guess. But then that means LOL Greg is alive in a rotten body in Neverland. Now I want to see Zombie Greg.

It really felt like a series finale in a sense and honestly if you told me that was it and you cut out the WE HAVE TO GO BACK epilogue I would've believed you. But I guess the writers realized that Storybrooke had served its purpose in the story in S1 and was what was dragging it down in the second half of S2, so they decided to just throw it out, so props on them if that's the case. Plus the whole Rumple/Pan "death" scene was so goddamn vague and ambiguous (did he make his father the new dark one then? or is it a loophole because the one who wants to take the position has to stab him so :psyduck:) that Rumple is definitely coming back no matter what. But I guess everyone from the Enchanted Forest remembered their time in Storybrooke so stuff like ridiculously over-the-top Evil Regina will only live in flashbacks.

Also LOL at Hook getting his answer, Emma didn't love him as much as he thought he did (or her artificial memories getting in the way the same way cursed Snow and Charming didn't suddenly fix the curse)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

KilGrey posted:

I got spoiled on the Black Fairy and it's going to be awesome! If you hadn't heard and want to be spoiled too: It's a twist on the Wicked Witch from The Wizard of Oz played by the hot red head from Lost whose name I can't remember. The one that came with the research/rescue team.
Oh nice maybe this time Rebecca Mader won't immediately be written off in less than two episodes like every other guest role she has had that I can remember..

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

flare posted:

Casual watching of S1 turned to binge watching after S2 it got so good. I really hoped that the Hook finale teaser wouldn't have happened and the show would have enjoyed that extremely sweet ending. Not all shows get to enjoy a really good ending like that. I was angrily yelling at the TV when I saw the One year later... splash.

Oh well, on the the Wonderland spinoff.
Well if the show really just dives after that you could just stop there and ignore the one year later bit.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Hopefully Rebecca Mader gets more than half a dozen episodes before being killed off like most of her other roles.

Anyone catch/want to discuss Wonderland, since it also started back up earlier this week? Pretty sure it only has maybe 4 episodes left too.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I saw Megan Ory in the credit roll but I didn't spot her at all. Or did I just miss her in a single scene or something?

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Interesting choice to have Gold be all full Rumple voice even back in Storybrook.

Definitely looking forward to this half of the season. Kinda glad they switched directions. Neverland was pretty drat good but it was starting to show signs of fatigue at points. Maybe the show is good for half season arcs instead.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

JawnV6 posted:

Spoiled in the first 30 seconds with his name on screen :sigh: The dagger disappeared during his death scene, I'd assume that's a big enough gap that they can write him as The Dark One or as The Non-Dark One Who Died And Came Back Without Dark One Powers.

Is she really Regina's sister? They made a big deal last episode about getting some of her Blood and now Blood Magic is failing all over the place. Only have her word to go on for now.
Half-sister.

Also the other flying monkey clawed at her the time they came back yeah? (or was that Snow?)

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

fork bomb posted:

It was Regina, which I think is the point JawnV6 was getting at. Why would Zelena need her blood if being half-sisters was enough to break blood magic?
Might be a fake out and she isn't really but to be fair regardless of that fact, OUAT is probably second most incestuous thing ever right behind the Ptolemy family tree.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Wonderland is getting super incestuous too but I always thought it was going to be one-and-done 13 episodes anyway. Won't feel too bad for it being canceled even though it is pretty drat good.

Wonderland doesn't seem very drug-trippy crazy like most people were expecting and just mostly West Coast forests with mushrooms instead.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Captain Mog posted:

God drat this show has the worst fans. People were in a random uproar on OUAT's page about Rapunzel being black. Oh no, anything but the fictional children's book character being black! The horror, the horror!

Anyway, she rocked the role and I liked her performance.
Really? What the hell. I thought she was pretty good and a use of Rapunzel.

Colour me stupid and giddy but I guess Zelena is going to collect a totem for heart/courage/brain which I'm interested to see where it goes.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Macaluso posted:

I imagine most/all of the flashbacks this season will be dealing with the missing year.

I wasn't a fan of the fighting-your-demons thing. I just thought it was bad and really cheesy and wished they had used Rapunzel for something more.
I'm fine with the flashbacks right now, um just going they realize they have a much larger cast than they remember. That's mostly why I hated the second half of S2, it was mainly because all of a sudden every other week felt like the flashback was 'Regina pops in to remind Snow she is evil, she gets captured and Snow forgives her for the umpteenth time. Oh here's a Rumple episode to keep it fresh! '

I'm fine as long as they can squeeze in Grumpy or Jiminy or anyone else once in a while without forcing The Charmings/Regina/Rumple into every week. But at the pace the show has been going at since S2, I'm guessing this is just not gonna happen.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Yes as much as I hate the Storybrook plot in S1, it's still right now my favourite season (though S3 is doing a drat fine job) since they actually did play with the whole cast and show us their crazy origins. Still wish they'd show us more.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I wasn't expecting Wonderland to ever be renewed anyway but I'm glad it looks like it's going out with a real bang.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

The problem with shuffling some of the cast into the flagship show is that OUAT barely touches its secondary character anymore, which I kinda hate even though it helps move the plot.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

ShakeZula posted:

The Wonderland spinoff reaffirmed that the "rules of magic" prevent raising the dead. Though I don't know a) how much the main show cares about Wonderland's continuity and b) if the show itself has contradicted that rule already (outside of obvious magical siutations like Rumple).
drat, I already forgot how Rumple "died" at the end of the midseason (did he stab himself or something?), so I'm guessing it doesn't count as a proper death or someone has to take his place as the Dark One for it the truly count, so I'm guessing he was just more in limbo than anything.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Probably because Rumple was under control of the dagger she had so they had to GTFO and because there are more important things than a funeral when the Wicked Witch is probably coming to gently caress poo poo up/steal your fetus with her Dark One pet.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

johntfs posted:

That was a pretty good way to end things. I'd still be more than okay if Michael Socha and Sophie Rowe came to visit the mother show at some point.
Yes it was. Glad it ended, I really couldn't see it dragging on, as much fun as it was.

Also look a few posts up.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Surprised to see if there are supposed to be any consequences of this plot or Wonderlands, since I'm guessing it wasn't an accident that both Wonderland and the second half of this season of OUAT both feature orphaned children growing up to be magicians to break the laws of magic. Not that I'm complaining, just curious if there was more to go with if Wonderland got either extra episodes or renewed and how that would affect OUAT.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Irish Joe posted:

I hope none of the flying monkeys they brutally murdered this episode were anyone they knew.
I laughed as they were murdering those flying monkeys because of the same thought.

Also kinda glad that Regina got her happy ending/curse breaker there. Was almost just on the cusp of expecting it so I was glad she got it and not Emma.

Captain von Trapp posted:

From a storytelling perspective it is pretty bizarre. It retroactively makes a lot of the previous heart-based deaths look unnecessary, and does so in the service of a plot beat ("oh no, Charming's dead!") whose dramatic tension is zero due to the fact that it's a flashback and he's alive in the present.
Well, what were the other heart-crush deaths? We had the huntsman (Regina's fling basically) and not really anyone else that I remember being important enough to recall right now. I figured there was going to be no tension to it unless they did a "nope Charming's a monkey" fakeout. Just chalk another one up for True Love (tm) I guess.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

johntfs posted:

Well, there's also Regina's original stable-boy love (Cora removed his heart); Regina's father (his heart fueled the original Dark Curse); Rumple's ex-wife (Rumple yanked out her heart in front of Hook); Pan's minion (Pan used it to fuel the second curse). There's probably others, but I can't remember them.

For my part I wish they'd toss in a bit of "magic-babble" to explain it:

Emma/Henry: Hey why is it that when you remove people's hearts they don't immediately die from non-circulating blood, or, y'know, massive blood loss from having their major blood vessel torn loose? Also why are hearts red and glowing instead of the blood-covered chunks of muscle they are in medical dramas and martial arts movies (where a dude rips another dude's heart out and crushes it)?

Regina/Rumple: Because we're not removing the physical heart. A more precise term would be "life-soul vessel." A magic-user who knows what he's doing can pull out this vessel, which take the form you've seen. Since, love and life is thought to reside in the heart in out weird, magical, pseudo-medieval society, which is also pig-ignorant about medicine, including basic anatomy, we call that vessel, the heart.
Despite looking like the actual anatomical heart, I never actually questioned the "heart" stuff on the show. They obviously mean some physical manifestation of a person's soul or whatever, I guess, in the most approximate way.

People actually taking that heart to meaning the anatomical heart that seriously? I hadn't heard about that until just a few posts ago.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Snow and Charming I really enjoyed in season 1, but I feel like they really wore them out over the course of the show (despite them being the main cast unfortunately). They still have their moments though.

Rumple and Belle ... yeah after this I dunno. Belle is like way too naive for her own good, and though it's fun as hell to watch Rumple is the same old vengeful coward that still refuses to really change for her.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

fork bomb posted:

The shattering and green smoke thing was super weird. Rumple stabbed her with his dark one dagger so I'm wondering if that has anything to do with it.

The finale starts at the regular 8pm time, yes?

Well you have to kill the current Dark One with his own dagger for it to count, so I'm sure when he used it, it was probably as simple as just him stabbing her.

I was also disappointed Emma didn't just dump her magazine at Zelena at the very least. Or that any of the Merry Men didn't at least get a single arrow off.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I am cynical and only saw Frozen for the first time yesterday, but Elsa is basically the villain of Frozen, Anna is the hero*, so I'm basically fine with Elsa having the evil theme.

Actually I could probably do a good rant here about how Anna is only given agency by Kristoff and how, while Frozen appears to have 2 female leads, it's actually a story about how all a girl needs is a strong man. But I digress...
Ehhh, it was more like they thought the girls needed a man but in the end they didn't.

Haven't read the story by Anderson, but I'd be curious what they take from that and from Frozen for their interpretation.

bobkatt013 posted:

Watch it end up being someone else and they just looked like Maid Marion so she would be brought back. Its actually the return of Cora, and why the Knave is joining the main cast.
Pretty sure Cora was the Queen of Hearts the entire time Regina was Evil Queen (tm).

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

bobkatt013 posted:

Time travel poo poo.
Well I guess we haven't devolved into wibbly wobbly timey whimey yet

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Dazerbeams posted:

He doesn't do it for me. But on that note, should the people who didn't watch Wonderland bother going through it?

It's a fun change of pace versus vanilla OUAT, if you like the more classic adventure format. And 13 episodes means it ends properly. In rather glad it didn't get the chance to go on forever.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Robot Hobo posted:

I do have a Wonderland question though. They repeatedly mention that Genies can't kill. It's one of the big, unbendable, unchanging rules of Genies, their wishes can't kill. Genie wish rules, and how they can't be broken, are pretty important to the plot of the series... So why did Lizard die? Did the writers really just forget?
Her wish was, "I wish you would just feel something, Will!" (pretty much along those lines) so the genie magic killed her so will would feel remorseful or something (because unrequited love and she accidentally used the word 'wish' in the heat of the moment). Genie magic is the same as any kind of magic, so it follows the same rules (and the same rules Jafar wanted to break).

If you want to get really technical it's not in the 3 rules of magic in OUAT. The 3 can'ts are: make someone fall in love, bring back the dead, go back in time.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Oh right, I forgot about the genie specific rules on wishes. Though Alice's father didn't seem to freak out when she did return at the end, maybe he did and then remembered it all. Or I guess Alice is just better at making wishes.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

And looks like they have Georgina Haig for Elsa. You might recognize her from the last season of Fringe.

http://tvline.com/2014/07/03/once-upon-a-time-elsa-georgina-haig-season-4-cast/

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

Count me in as one of the people who doesn't really care too much that OUAT didn't do their own version of Frozen and just continued more or less from where the movie finished.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

I dunno at times it felt like Anna was just reading her lines out as fast as possible. If she was trying to do the "I said a thing, but wait I just realized something the middle of it" schtick she has in the movies, she needs just a little work. Felt off in a few scenes.

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

drat my brain hurt when I just realized it. I wondered why they decided to do that when I was watching it. :psyduck:

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

That's a real punchable face

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sober
Nov 19, 2011

They technically did a sort of King Arthur thing with some of the characters back in S2, as well as a Excalibur fakeout.

• Locked thread