Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

OneEightHundred posted:

Also apparently they're not just "solid," they will actually reflect 40mm grenades back at you.

Yep, and nades and rockets, but on your screen they go right through it normally. So many explosive suicides lately.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

I've lost all faith in Dices ability to code a competent game, I'm having fun with BF4 but it's probably the last EA game I will ever get.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I'm with Sandweed on this, though I just wish that another studio would make a battlefield game to fill the void left by Quakewars and Renegade.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2
It's bad news that EA has Battlefront now as well then.

Games on the scale of Battlefield seem to be something that basically no one else can pull off. I mean the closest we had were Joint Operations and Quake Wars and Battlefront and WWII Online and they were all even buggier/jankier than even BF in many ways.

Well maybe ArmA will become accessible enough to... hahahaha

Rectus
Apr 27, 2008

Cardboard Box A posted:

Well maybe ArmA will become accessible enough to... hahahaha

Well, at least they've got the vehicle physics right.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Cardboard Box A posted:

Games on the scale of Battlefield seem to be something that basically no one else can pull off. I mean the closest we had were Joint Operations and Quake Wars and Battlefront and WWII Online and they were all even buggier/jankier than even BF in many ways.

Another one is that kickstarted wasteland themed BF style shooter, I think that too crashed and burned pretty hard. Crashed like the Mad Max style chopper you could fly in that game. I don't even remember what the name of the game was.

Broken Record
Jan 3, 2012
Holy crap, why have I neglected playing Domination for so long?

Thanks to xygigx for showing me this amazing points gathering mode. Well, by "showing" I mean "I joined on him from my friends list cause no one else was on." :D
Thanks to double-XP and some 100% boosts, I ranked up several times this weekend. Go medic or support and just chuck crates in Domination.

Also got called a "noob" for using a claymore. :smuggo: Hilarity ensued shortly after.

Rolling Scissors
Jul 22, 2005

Turn off the fountain dear, it's just me.
Nap Ghost

Rectus posted:

Well, at least they've got the vehicle physics right.

Arma still has a long ways to catch up with the fidelity of water surface interaction physics. Only in Battlefield! :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVub-JGGrME

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

I just really want Vietnam/BF2 back. They had all the same stuff, just non-destructible environments.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Cardboard Box A posted:

I think the problem is that you have to have the will to invest in something the size and scale of Battlefield. Most of the really popular FPS games on the market are smaller arena shooters like CoD or Counter-Strike that don't take as many people as many hours to design as a Battlefield game. They also don't have the number of objects and items in play as a BF game and don't need to accept as many connections, making things logistically easier. Battlefield style games are very much a niche market that most companies aren't going to bother getting into because even the company that's been working in the genre for over a decade can't release a game without needing to put in months of additional work to get it to not crash all the time.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Rolling Scissors posted:

Another one is that kickstarted wasteland themed BF style shooter, I think that too crashed and burned pretty hard. Crashed like the Mad Max style chopper you could fly in that game. I don't even remember what the name of the game was.

Ravaged, I started it up for cards a while ago. It has zombies now, 10 players online globally.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Sandweed posted:

Ravaged, I started it up for cards a while ago. It has zombies now, 10 players online globally.

I was lured into trying that when I read there were BF2/Desert Combat devs behind it. Turns out they emulated those games a bit too well, because the infantry gameplay was about as boring and uninspired as one could expect from playing a +10 year old BF1942 mod.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Ularg posted:

On dawnbreaker I found a lightpole that once knocked down still has a hitbox where it stands. A lightpole. Blocked all of my vehicles shots.

Edit: A lightpole.
Yeah, that's just a deliberate reference to the BF2142 lightpoles being the single deadliest anti-air emplacement.

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Cardboard Box A posted:

Games on the scale of Battlefield seem to be something that basically no one else can pull off.

Fixed.

Rolling Scissors posted:

Arma still has a long ways to catch up with the fidelity of water surface interaction physics. Only in Battlefield! :colbert:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVub-JGGrME

So that's what the spare tire on the back is for...

LampkinsMateSteve
Jan 1, 2005

I've really fucked it. Have I fucked it?

Sandweed posted:

I've lost all faith in Dices ability to code a competent game, I'm having fun with BF4 but it's probably the last EA game I will ever get.

I feel you, and as they try to come up with more and more features, I can see it just getting worse. But when the game is running OK and I'm having fun, then I'm really having a blast. I still play most nights, and am 350 hours in. I feel I got my (premium) money's worth. I played over 900 hours of BF3, as well.

MadJackMcJack
Jun 10, 2009

KoRMaK posted:

I just really want Vietnam/BF2 back.

I wish they'd bring back the vehicle radios Vietnam had. Nothing like bombing around running over people with Surfin' Bird blaring out :rock:

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

DICE has basically only developed a single game (as the lead) that wasn't Battlefield since BF2 and that was Mirror's Edge. Say what you will about how that actually turned out but I never found a bug in it at least. The complexity of BF4's multiplayer is probably too much for any studio to handle. I could still do with a lot less completely hosed up bugs though, like open shipping containers bouncing grenades back to you, much like dead bodies do now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

MadJackMcJack posted:

I wish they'd bring back the vehicle radios Vietnam had. Nothing like bombing around running over people with Surfin' Bird blaring out :rock:

I never played BF:V and the fact that I missed out on the above has made me sad.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

If the Red Orchestra team at Tripwire put out a modern middle-eastern campaign themed game the same size/scale of Red Orchestra it would probably be pretty good. They do vehicles and whatnot pretty good as well. People would just have to deal with it being a little more realistic I guess (but definitely not on the same level as say, Arma or Project Reality).

Dvsilverwing fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 28, 2014

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

IOwnCalculus posted:

I never played BF:V and the fact that I missed out on the above has made me sad.

It wa conpletely rad, and the Doppler effect on the music would let you know if the enemy was coming st you or leaving.

I really just dont understand why they made so many other changes to Vietnam and bf2 when really the only thing we could want are destructible environments and upgrades.

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

Dvsilverwing posted:

If the Red Orchestra team at Tripwire put out a modern middle-eastern campaign themed game the same size/scale of Red Orchestra it would probably be pretty good. They do vehicles and whatnot pretty good as well.

You obviously didn't play Red Orchestra 2 at release. It was such a huge mess, no BF game ever came close.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

DoctorStrangelove posted:

You obviously didn't play Red Orchestra 2 at release. It was such a huge mess, no BF game ever came close.

Played beta and pre-ordered. I've never had massive issues with the game, although most people seem to share your opinion so I can understand.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I got rising storm a while back and it was messed up for the longest time with difficult open maps and the infamous Flamethrower aka, Raging deathstorm II: Revenge of the flame.

Getting Katana kills was so satisfying.

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

One of the guys in the LP subforum told me about one of the games he's been playing in his spare time you guys might like: Renegade X is an open source C&C Renegade inspired FPS. From what I've seen of it, it looks fun and somewhat like TF2 and Battlefield were combined. I meant to post about this a while back, but someone mentioning Renegade reminded me of this.

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

IOwnCalculus posted:

two patrol boats suspended from two hueys, each carrying a team, knives only, thus Vietnam air pirates was born.

Riller
Jun 16, 2008

DoctorStrangelove posted:

I don't know... Having to install PunkBuster for BF4 was such a chore that I don't even know how we all made it this far.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Kibayasu posted:

DICE has basically only developed a single game (as the lead) that wasn't Battlefield since BF2 and that was Mirror's Edge. Say what you will about how that actually turned out but I never found a bug in it at least. The complexity of BF4's multiplayer is probably too much for any studio to handle. I could still do with a lot less completely hosed up bugs though, like open shipping containers bouncing grenades back to you, much like dead bodies do now.

Mirror's Edge was incredible and I honestly hope the BF schedule slows down or something so that DICE can make some other games, even though they're the only ones who I think can pull off Battlefield games even to this degree right now.

Ularg
Mar 2, 2010

Just tell me I'm exotic.
Battlefield just needs a 2-3 year cycle. I'm less likely to buy premium if it's just going to be slight iterations of Battlefield every year for $100. Giving them enough time to just build a new battlefield from scratch will hopefully at least give them a clean slate to keep the code and bugs manageable.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Pharmaskittle posted:

Mirror's Edge was incredible and I honestly hope the BF schedule slows down or something so that DICE can make some other games, even though they're the only ones who I think can pull off Battlefield games even to this degree right now.

Well they're making Mirror's Edge 2 so I guess we'll see what happens in a year or two (probably two) with that.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Kibayasu posted:

The complexity of BF4's multiplayer is probably too much for any studio to handle.
e: Shorter version: I don't really know what to make of this sort of thing because BF4 wasn't terrifically more complicated than BF3, and most of the problems that BF4 has had were things that worked completely fine in BF3.

I'm really hoping that there's some post-mortem/tell-all at some point as to why it was a buggy clusterfuck. Probably some combination of being forked off of an early BF3 build (which is the only thing I can think of that would explain the DAO+darts bug coming back), being rushed to market to beat COD, the Battlefield and Frostbite teams getting split, and wasting a ton of the production budget on the SP campaign again.

OneEightHundred fucked around with this message at 01:25 on Apr 29, 2014

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Riller posted:

I don't know... Having to install PunkBuster for BF4 was such a chore that I don't even know how we all made it this far.

I spent 20 minutes talking to EA support instead of five minutes downloading a program and running it so I got a refund and the game for free because it's easier if people do things for me.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Pound_Coin posted:

two patrol boats suspended from two hueys, each carrying a team, knives only, thus Vietnam air pirates was born.
Oh poo poo thats right. The heuy's had a loving tow claw and you could pick up anything, boats, tanks, jeeps, planes.

Everyone re-install bf:v this week, please.

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

So, I know on BF4 it's only top 3 instead of top 5 like in BF3 but gently caress it, but what are everyone's top 5 weapons here? Type 88, M60, Ace 23, AK-12, and the PKP for me.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Lazyfire posted:

I spent 20 minutes talking to EA support instead of five minutes downloading a program and running it so I got a refund and the game for free because it's easier if people do things for me.

I almost threw my computer out the window but couldn't because I was LITERALLY SHAKING over having to install a browser plugin to play the game.

Also, another idea for Gimmick Domination- 70s beat cop night, revolvers, naked shotguns and bad quips in mumble mandatory.

Edit: top weapons are MTAR, AWS, DAO, M240B and ACE 53 SV for me.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Dvsilverwing posted:

So, I know on BF4 it's only top 3 instead of top 5 like in BF3 but gently caress it, but what are everyone's top 5 weapons here? Type 88, M60, Ace 23, AK-12, and the PKP for me.

code:
AK 5C     758
MG4       752
M249      544
M4        536
M416      519

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Dvsilverwing posted:

PK Chang, AWS, MTAR, AK5C, 870. I haven't used the AK5C since week two of the game, which tells you a bit about how much I used the other guns I guess.

OGS-Remix
Sep 4, 2007

Totally surviving on my own. On LAND!
M416: 1,071
AKU-12: 965
AEK-971: 782
M1911: 696
G36C: 576

I haven't used the AEK in a while, but previously I only used it on meatgrinder maps (Locker/Metro). I liked the G36c a lot until I realized the AKU-12 is just better. I don't use LMGs, so that's why two carbines are on my list. I have no idea how I got that many 1911 kills, but :911:

Edit: Picture format since everyone else is doing it:

I also realize I'm almost perfectly going down 10-9-7-6-5. I need to get a gun to 800 kills now I guess.

OGS-Remix fucked around with this message at 02:28 on Apr 29, 2014

Pound_Coin
Feb 5, 2004
£

Dvsilverwing posted:

SRAW Forever

Dvsilverwing
Jan 17, 2009

Pound_Coin posted:

SRAW Forever

I don't play Engineer much at all, but I generally opt for the RPG or Igla depending on if I'm playing AT or AA. And I only do that when the other members of the team are too stupid to do that themselves, otherwise I usually just C4 vehicles.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

OneEightHundred posted:

e: Shorter version: I don't really know what to make of this sort of thing because BF4 wasn't terrifically more complicated than BF3, and most of the problems that BF4 has had were things that worked completely fine in BF3.

I'm really hoping that there's some post-mortem/tell-all at some point as to why it was a buggy clusterfuck. Probably some combination of being forked off of an early BF3 build (which is the only thing I can think of that would explain the DAO+darts bug coming back), being rushed to market to beat COD, the Battlefield and Frostbite teams getting split, and wasting a ton of the production budget on the SP campaign again.

Simply put because at this point I don't really have any other explanation :shrug:

It could be because it had to run on 5 different platforms. It could be because it was the first commercial game to market (which could have been rushed, as you said) running on Frostbite 3 which was an engine built to not only run Battlefield/shooters, but as many other genres as EA/DICE could make it; with the exception of Need for Speed: The Run, I'm pretty sure Frostbite engines have only ever run shooters. I suppose when I saw "complexity" I also mean factors well beyond making sure the server and client agree on where a bullet is in BF4.

Edit: All my top weapons are pretty even since I'm one of those nerds who unlocks all the battlepacks and get the dog tag for a weapon then immediately moves onto the next one.

Kibayasu fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 29, 2014

• Locked thread