Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

Any word on whether we can pull VPN horseshit again to get in early, or is that not a possibility?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Kramjacks posted:

And the first expansion as well I think.

Everyone who preorders gets that. Deluxe version really doesn't give you anything of substance.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

keyframe posted:

Not possible. It starts whenever EA turns on the server switch. Just five hours left!

Ugh, I figured. And me with work in the morning. Well, have fun Australians! :)

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

sdr782 posted:

So are the multiplayer factions China and USA now or is Russia also still around? I'm hoping there's 3 factions, BF2 style.

Russia is supposed to still be in, but unfortunately I don't think there are three way maps.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Shumagorath posted:

Wait, so RPGs are actually fast / accelerate off the launch now? Next you're going to tell me tank shells aren't out-run by pistol cartridges.

If anything, tank shells seem slower and more affected by gravity to me. Maybe I'm crazy or just not used to using the zoom on the main gun, though.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

The smaller scale destruction is really loving cool though. I was in the metro point and a guy had dropped the security gate and holed up in one of the shops to hold off my team really effectively, so I put a rocket in the gate without knowing whether it'd work, and lo and behold, was rewarded with a flanking avenue.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

So how does the support airburst actually work? I haven't gotten to play with it enough to really understand its mechanics.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

It's not in the beta.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

General Battuta posted:

It's hard to enjoy the knowledge that my opponent failed to mash F :(

What's up with this, is it literally just mashing F, or is there a timing element? I haven't had anyone knife me from the front yet, but I panicked and knifed a guy and that got countered, so now I'm curious. Also can you just no longer quick slash enemies at all, I guess?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I keep getting the range finder rifle when the tower is up, then a drum fed grenade launcher in the rubble after it falls. The only lovely thing is they drop if you switch to another weapon rather than just replacing your primary.

Ed: also I finally got stabbed from the front so I could counter it :). It really is as easy as hammering F, no timing required.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

WeaponBoy posted:

Yeah, it's pretty dumb. It really just means free kills for players who are either good or have played long enough to know what button to mash. I kinda wish it was a Zelda-style back and forth with different keys to see who fucks up first. Maybe that's too much of a gimmick, but man.

This might be a little too involved, but they could at least do something like make it a different key to hit. Cycle between f, e, and v, or something.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

It is really nice to be able to pull a baby rocket launcher out if your rear end if you stumble around a corner and into a tank.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Can rpgs actually lock onto things irl? I always picture them as being dumbfire only. I did find a recon in one game who was all about lazing, and following him around all game was just fantastic. I like to get on top of the tower and laze everything, but the choppers just won't leave you alone up there for five seconds.

Also, does the big sniper rifle pickup on the tower damage vehicles??? I brought down a transport chopper with it somehow, but I was definitely aiming at the door gunners and probably missing.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Do critical vehicle hits do anything other than slow them down? I haven't experienced anything yet, but I was under the impression that it could do poo poo like knock out the gun or, in armored vehicles, the video feed.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Me playing engineer is basically my sweaty face muttering "yeah show me that big fat tank butt" and then knocking most of their health out. I LOVE that you can tell how much damage you actually did instantly when you hit a vehicle. I already know the best place to hit tanks, but seeing that 55 damage from a single rocket feels so good.

ed: also choppers feel alright, I was gunning for an alright pilot and we stayed up for awhile while playing aggressively and flying between buildings. I'm not a pilot though, so

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Oct 3, 2013

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

^^ bf3 beta had basically all of the guns, or at least enough that I didn't notice a lack

I never had any stability issues with BF3 after release, aside from some infrequent punkbuster issues that are more or less inevitable.

canyoneer posted:

When the skies get crowded, it's fun to take a jetski into the middle of the bay with Stingers. Pop pop pop and the choppers either disappear into buildings forever or get shot down.

edit: Also, note that the skyscraper can't be taken down by aircraft. You have to plant demolition charges. The truth is out there! :911: :tinfoil:

poo poo, I never thought of doing this. Second seat can use a gun!

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Give every class c4. Seems reasonable to me.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Rocket launchers are pretty cool for blowing up people and walls. SMGs are good. You can probably replace your repair torch with a robot. I'm fine with engineers.

Also I love that vehicle machine guns don't just fly in boring straight perfect arcs anymore.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Mutation posted:

So do you get to keep the unlocks once the beta is over?

Nope, everything gets reset.

I'm running on Windows 8 with the beta nvidia drivers, and have had zero problems aside from a couple of expected crashes. The BF3 beta was nowhere near this smooth or stable, so I'm sold.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Kibayasu posted:

Now I wish Randy Savage was still alive and their spokesman. The commercials would be glorious.

The Macho Man would play battlefield the right way. "Oh yeahhhhh, every kill is a no scope kill cause scopes are for jabronis!!!"

"I have seen the top of the mountain, brother, and I killed so many wookiees there... YEH!!"

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I've heard literally nobody talk, so I think my sound might be jacked up. Oh well, I can mumble with goons if I really want to talk.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

^^^ there's no platoon support yet, you can't.

gently caress Wake Island unless they bring back moveable carriers. If they made the carrier a mobile cap point with crazy firepower, it could be really cool, but every iteration since 1942 has been garbage.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, I absolutely love sneaking around in the rubble and picking squads apart one player at a time. Being on the tower is great too though, for using the loving superweapons that spawn up there to fight off waves of choppers.

Basically C is a fun point and usually my sole objective. Although holing up in the underground metro point is pretty fun, too.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Tank shells also shoot a little to the right, which sucks. If there wasn't a computer telling you where your reticule is, sure, but as is, it needs to fire on your crosshairs.

ed: also played with goon nodamur (or something Scandinavian sounding like that, it was awhile ago and I'm not at my computer) who was a ballin attack chopper pilot. Best quote: "war is hell. For those guys. It's pretty cool for us."

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 05:39 on Oct 7, 2013

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

The boat needs to be a brick shithouse capable of projecting that much pain because of how exposed it is 100% of the time, at least in Shanghai. It has barely any opportunities to break LoS, and you always know the rough area where it's going to be located (the bay).

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

C point is always cool because fighting for it as infantry is nasty whether the tower is there or not. It's a great hotspot no matter what's going on elsewhere in the map. Even pubbies in the transport helo are pretty good about making passes to drop dudes off there and retake it due to its central location and how hard it can make life for the team that doesn't possess it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Speaking of shooting from rooftops, I'm having trouble gauging bullet drop when firing at an angle that extreme. It's weird because I don't have any trouble firing at similar angles upwards at choppers. I'm sure there's no trick to it or anything, I just need to get some more practice at it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

You don't really have to do much to deal with them. They aren't going to hit you ever anyways.

No joke, I only worry about my angles in relation to rooftops when I set up my bipod someplace in the open.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

canyoneer posted:

edit: re: bullet drop, are you zeroing your scope? Because it makes popping immobile targets at a distance hilariously easy.

I'm usually just using an assault rifle or LMG. I do use the sniper rifles sometimes though, does zeroing work for downward angles? I guess what I don't understand is whether gravity affects bullet drop realistically (in my relatively uninformed estimation) or if projectiles arc the same regardless of relation to the ground.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Trisk posted:

As a BF novice can someone explain the concept of "suppression"? Do you get points for shooting near somebody but not hitting them or something?

Yeah, if someone dies while you're shooting vaguely at them you get some suppression points. Support is way better at suppression than any other class.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

What's up with the first shotgun you unlock? Is this some semiautomatic poo poo? I am furious.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

numptyboy posted:

Godamn it :dice: cthulu must be appeased with more tenticles and wings!

Maybe you could take the anuses out of his eyes to free up two objects.

fake ed: just playin, it looks cool. So does that XCOM one

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Ularg posted:

I wish we had letters already. I thought that'd be kind of standard. Not as mad but I still wish that we could toggle outlines on the emblems so same colored shapes didn't blend into each other.

They really, really shouldn't give us (me) letters.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Jippa posted:

Why do you like it?

Movement feels super good, like they took a page from their own Mirror's Edge playbook. When do I get soldiers running up walls, dice??

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Olive Branch posted:

Had a great couple of rounds sniper dueling a random pubbie, unlocking the M40something, and then when I rejoined the server later and he was on my team, I taught him how to use the PLO and zero his rifle for long-distance accuracy. He landed a headshot on a target he'd already missed 10 rounds on and was as amazed as I was when I discovered the One Weird Tip for sniping. :v:

It's weird, because I kind of hope zeroing makes snipers a LITTLE better. In this and BF3, I have absolutely no fear of snipers and never even have to think about them. I certainly don't want more people to play as them or for them to become a super serious threat, but it'd help ~my verisimilitude~ to have to think about my longer angles at least a little bit.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, I think if you isolate fps from every other factor, 60 is more than sufficient for your eyeballs. Getting higher just gives you some buffer room for when stuff makes it drop. That's my understanding, anyway.

Like, if you had a machine that could run 60 literally no matter what happened on your screen, it'd be good enough, even though such a device could run at higher rates less consistently.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

From my experience assuming I'm an alright player who mostly did CQ in the last game, 400 plus is as pretty good watermark for whether someone's legit or not after a hundred hours.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

SAMARIX posted:

Rather happy with all those changes other than the 40mm/25mm doing less damage to armour. It was nice as a assault knowing I could actually help kill a tank when other people were shooting it. I never felt it did a ton of damage so it was more like you could support engineers in killing armour.
Oh well hopefully you can still do a little damage.

I definitely ruined some tanks' days with both, but I only ever took opportunistic shots at big fat tank butts so maybe it could use toning down from other directions. Like, even without considering my understanding that real Abrams are nigh invincible, a grenade to the front of a tank probably shouldn't even scratch it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I was under the impression that battle pack attachments were just cosmetically different versions of stuff you unlocked through normal play anyway, so the only "advantage" is that maybe you'd unlock a green laser before you've unlocked the red one on a gun or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Javes posted:

Is it like ME3 where you have the option to buy them?

I dunno that they've come out and said this, but yes, almost certainly.

• Locked thread