Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

arf arf put the money in the fuckin bag

That's really cool to hear, and basically exactly what I want to hear. Which makes me suspicious :tinfoil:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Michael Scott posted:

Aren't the EA commercials for BF4 really weird-feeling? I'm not sure what their focus groups told them or what kind of demographic they are trying to appeal to. I guess it's like "lots of normal people play Battlefield, you should too"?

Like this smug one, released today (not sure if it's been posted):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAH__zmdkk4

I don't have tv so I haven't seen any actual commercials, but it was weird seeing sponsored Facebook posts from Kevin Hart and Lil Wayne talking about how cool BF4 is on my feed.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

So I haven't had time to read this thread in its entirety, what are people saying with regards to "still playing BF3" vs "BF4 already Jesus Christ?"

As nice as BF4 looks I'm a little overwhelmed especially since I never bothered with Premium besides Karkand which came with the BF3 pre-order. I really despised the map pack business model because I felt like I didn't even know if there would be enough good servers

I haven't even had time to read up on this battle pack malarkey

Battle packs don't matter even a little bit, don't factor them in to any purchase you make. BF3 premium was worth my money personally since I played the game pretty much from release til a month ago. Your mileage may vary depending on how much you liked the last game, so just follow that.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

AlternateAccount posted:

Nothing and I mean NOTHING is worse than those "call of duty time" commercials with janitors playing guns with mops. For gently caress's sake they're awful.

I thought the first one was pretty clever a few years back, where it's a huge crowd of people having a finger gun shootout. I think it was a superbowl ad or something.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Man vs rat was literally the greatest moment in gaming history.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

the_FERRET posted:

Since I'm drunk and have nothing better to do until I sober up a little and sleep, let's have a competition.

First person to correctly identify me in the group picture featured below wins a copy of Battlefield 4 (PC):

http://blogs.battlefield.com/2013/10/road-to-bf4-sounds-of-the-battlefield/

You only get one guess!

The aforementioned Ur-Goon seems too obvious. I'm gonna say back row center, guy with reddish hair and a beard next to Julian Assange.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

the_FERRET posted:

Would you believe I used to live next door to Julian Assange in Melbourne?

I'm gonna count it as a win in my own mind.

(Sorry re: your neighbors)

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Dammit, your hair looks fine :mad:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Alan Smithee posted:

I'm in the US. That IS why I'm getting that error message right?

Preloading has already begun in the US.

The game can't be unlocked yet, but you should be able to preload and something is wrong if you can't.

You don't need a VPN to preload in the US.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

fromoutofnowhere posted:

It is flamebait, there are plenty of video's online right now that you can use to make up your own mind.

If we use that VPN trick, do we get to play on Monday evening, or is it this evening?

Around 11 or 12 (noon) CST Monday. So like, 14 or 15 hours from right now.

Tab8715 posted:

Wasn't there something about damage being different amount classes or increased supression?

Suppression has been decreased for every class. LMGs (so, support) do more suppression than the other three classes, though.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Yeah, GMG is 100% legit. When I first started using them I had some trouble with my credit card being declined since they're out of country, but switching to PayPal fixed that. I have zero complaints about their service, and I've bought maybe twenty games from them.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Can I drop the VPN once I've unlocked it, or will it reset back to locked if I exit the game and try to go back in while still "in the US?"

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Man this goofy 16 round pump shotgun in the campaign is super fun.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

peabody624 posted:

What is with the delay on firing the REX? Makes it terrible.

It's because it's double action (pulling the trigger also cocks the hammer) and it's a little touch that gives me such a loving nerd boner. I only wish you could manually cock it to have instant fire, but have it go off in your hand/holster if you mantle over something or get jarred because gun safety :awesome:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Anti-Hero posted:

So, anyone who was around at BF3 launch were the servers generally stable? I'm really debating whether to take off early and VPN unlock to get some early playing in if it looks like 12:00AM EST is going to be a massive poo poo show.

How about I tell you how they are now? There aren't a ton of populated servers, but I haven't experienced any crashes playing on KFS.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Has anyone had trouble sending or receiving in-game voip? I always ask if people can hear me or have mics, but I never get any response so I'm not sure if I have a problem or am just unlucky.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Nitevision posted:

I'm down to squad up and test it if you want. I'm Reeferhound on your list. We also played in the beta when I was under the name Njordur.

Ohhh, okay yeah, I remember. I dunno if I'll play any tonight, but I'll squad up with you next time I see you online.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Always die in your vehicle. I'll only hop out if I'm at less than ten percent and literally see a swarm of missiles already streaking towards me.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Alehkhs posted:

Trailers for MetroMetroMetro "Second Assault":

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e4gLZbVu5vE&t=11s

That last shot had soldiers running from fire in a tunnel. Ignite a gas line in metro?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Man, I played Paracel for the first time last night. My squad fighting off wave after wave of boats and choppers at E in the middle of an angry sea while screaming at the commander to drop us more supplies (and he did!) might have been the most fun I've had in a BF game.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

So is the rubber banding unplayably bad on every server right now, or do I just have bad luck?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I've gotten what looks like a medal several times after playing a Conquest map and the description is just something like, "Reached the score goal!" but I don't see it in Battlelog. What is it and why am I getting it? It's been giving me a couple thousand points or something so that's cool, but I'm not sure what I'm doing to receive it.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I love that commander mode exists, but gently caress me if it isn't boring to play.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Yeah what's up with that!

It's like he's afraid of the 'bang' so hesitates before pulling the trigger the rest of way.

I mean, sure that will happen in real life... but not in my vidya games!

Besides of which it totally throws me off, since you have to anticipate that and aim where the gun will actually hit 1/2 second after you press fire

On a lot of revolvers, pulling the trigger also does the work of cocking the hammer back and revolving the cylinder, which means there's more resistance than with more "modern" guns. I only wish you could hit select fire or something to manually pull back the hammer to get rid of that delay in anticipation of a shot.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Party Plane Jones posted:

It could be worse, Red Orchestra 2 had your soldiers scream at the top of your lungs when you were getting ready to bayonet someone.

Actually if soldiers just started screaming in each other's faces during the takedown animation, I'd never use a gun.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Also the post-battle screamfests in Mount and Blade. Every time it dies down, one guy goes YAAAAAAAAHHHHH and riles then all back up again.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Inspector_666 posted:

I was just playing Paracel with a friend and we decided to hop in the Chinese RFB and sow some havoc. We came across our RFB beached on the little island south of point D and got sad for a minute. Then we hopped into the thing anyway and holy poo poo. We became a death factory. We were able to suppress and kill people at C and D and the US just kept feeding us RFB and chopper kills as they tried to come get us.

The most brutal Gilligan's Island ever.

I did this with my squad on that hulked ship point, and it ruled. They were pubbies, but we happened to have a rounded enough group to stay supplied while fighting off wave after wave of boats, jetskis, and choppers. The commander even dropped supplies and ran scans for us, presumably because we were the only squad holding a point for the entire round. :black101:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

crazkylo posted:

Is it safe to uninstall the BETA from my computer? It doesn't have and essential data or anything does it?

Yeah, it's fine to delete.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Liberatore posted:

And yeah, suppressors are awesome. After getting around 300 kills with a suppressd AK 5C between yesterday and today, I don't think I can use any ARs or carbines without a suppressor equipped, if available. The difference they make is absurd.

I've barely ever been outflanked by enemy troops since slapping a silencer on my SAW. I can't use it at long range quite as well anymore, but I'm way less afraid to deploy my bipod someplace for an extended period, now.

It doesn't really affect your run of the mill pubbies that much, but it gives you a definite edge against better players who actually glance at the map now and then.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Battlelog stats say the starting semi auto shotgun does more damage than the 870, is that true? If so, what's the advantage of the pump, tighter spread or something?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Sistergodiva posted:

Oh and most of the camos you unlock are weapon or tank skins, not for your little dood I think.

Yeah, there are only like a half dozen soldier camo patterns right now. That'll probably change when we get expansions, since they're outright anemic compared to the other camo categories.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

The big cannon is alright for nailing infantry and disrupting big troop masses, but garbage against vehicles. The other two slots are useless. I just use it as a mobile spawn point.

Just ignore enemy gunships unless you're in a jet or MAA. They're not really a threat and will get taken down by your team in short order.

Pharmaskittle fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 13, 2013

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Gunning in a well-driven RHIB boat is loving incredible on Paracel. We were bombing around the islands and wiped out two scout choppers and even managed to kill a hateboat!! The really cool thing is that the gun can swivel 360 degrees, so you can poo poo all over anything that decides to chase after you.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Liberatore posted:

The ticket thing isn't a problem except for Rush (64p rush with 100% tickets sucks)

They could change the mode pretty easily to accommodate 64p; since the issue with that many players tends to be suffocating defense, just make it so that you only have to destroy one of each set of MCOMs to move to the next stage. Split the focus of the defenders a little more.

Ideally, of course, you'd just have maps designed for bigger Rush games, but this way could mitigate the problem a little.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

odark thirty posted:

I played a couple rounds just to get the ribbon. Games are fast, 5v5 with one life. Attacking team tries to plant and detonate a bomb obliteration style. Three rounds with one team attacking, three rounds with the other team attacking for a total of 6 rounds per map. For some reason the game has to reload the map when the attacking team switches. It seems like the attackers have the advantage, you can plant the bomb at one of two different places so the defenders have to guess right to cut them off before the attackers get set up in defensive positions around the armed MCOM. The bomb countdown is pretty long though. It's a tense little gamemode, but not what I or most people are looking for in Battlefield.

So, literally DE_ mode from Counter-Strike? That's really cool but not surprising after gun master in bf3. Let's just get some AS_ maps in there now :getin:

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

I just got done playing and didn't see any of these blur effects people are talking about, is it a glitch?

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Pvt Dancer posted:

Is emblemchat still allowed?

My soldier's called Cosby so I tried to recreate a Cosby until I ran out of layers. In the picture he smiles a bit more but I think he looks more smug in the emblem so that's probably better.

Emblem chat should never go away because of rad poo poo like this.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

What are people finding better as far as medium-close range stuff? I don't wanna use a shotty because I'm definitely not close range enough. I thought about unlocking the carbines but I kinda like the DMRs right now, especially as I try to get better at sneaking up and snap headshotting people. It seems good for that, like it's accurate enough to reward you for a headshot at reasonable range but won't punish you hugely if you miss like a bolt action rifle.

Carbines rule, you should really give them a shot.

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

Stefan Prodan posted:

Which Carbines are the best?

Also, what is their function/niche?

I get what shotguns, DMRs, sniper rifles, etc are for, I'm not sure how carbines differ from assault rifles or what their sort of role is exactly

The first carbine is fantastic, the AKC or whatever. They're for midrange. Further than PDWs, closer than assault rifles. They're a mix of the two, with all the rounded strengths and weaknesses that entails.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pharmaskittle
Dec 17, 2007

There are always gonna be a handful of suboptimal guns, but the balance is really good.

• Locked thread