Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Orv
May 4, 2011

General Battuta posted:

I'm not quite sure I'm following your question, but BF3 has never been free. You only 'count' as Premium if you shelled out for the Premium service on top of the regular game.

Didn't they give away like, CQ or something for free a few months ago? Maybe he means that. If so, no, you're hosed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011
The beta is a separate entity as far as Origin is concerned, you should be fine.

Orv
May 4, 2011
People really need to remember that we haven't seen anything that isn't incremental upgrades. If larger maps and physics gimmicks are enough for you to put as many hours into 4 as you did into 3, that's fine, but it's not hardly a new game.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Ularg posted:

I'm just hoping for a fresh start, better balance, new or cooler maps and a better looking engine. This new frostbite looks sleek as hell and puts BF3 to shame.

Perfectly reasonable. Just wanted to try and check off, well, SA game release threads.

Those things would also make me pretty happy.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Are there going to be some Mumble shenanigans or something to try and pack a server full of goons?

Orv
May 4, 2011
If that dumb solider is blocking it when you kill someone I'll have to switch it up but if not I'm happy with this.

Orv
May 4, 2011
So they give us back the hilarious airburst rockets, and then remove the supports ability to resupply himself? What the loving gently caress :dice:. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011
This might qualify me for whiny baby status, but I might end up skipping BF4 because it's still possible for a full squad to pop out of someones rear end while you're shooting them. That's still lovely.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Republicans posted:

Make squad spawning prevention a mechanic of suppression. Boom, problem solved.

I don't know why they haven't! And it seems they won't, which means, since I'm absolutely terrible, that while I can deal with one dude or sometimes two, the other three guys that show up really gently caress me over.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I saw a chopper get taken out by C as it was falling, otherwise I haven't seen one destroyed.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OGS-Remix posted:

Anything that makes skygods unhappy is perfectly fine in my book. I wish they'd let tank shells one-shot helis again. I wonder how guided shells fare against them now too.

They reverted that? For fucks sake :dice:

Orv
May 4, 2011
I keep trying this a couple times a day for a few matches, and I am just aghast at how seemingly terrible I am. I did alright for myself in BF3, far better than I've done with any shooter since UT04, but in this beta I just cannot kill someone for the life of me. I think it's mostly the recoil but man, I just die in a hot second every time I fight someone.

E: And the moment after I hit submit I jump back into the next Domination round and gun down an entire squad with the MX4 in a split second. :shrug:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Batham posted:

MX4 is a beast in CQB so it's no surprise you mowed down an entire squad in domination. :v:

Edit: MasonF20, I can't add you to my friendlist because yours is full.

Hahaha, yeah. I came around the corner and was surprised for a second and then just opened up. 5 kills, empty mag, woops, did I do that? :downs:

Orv
May 4, 2011

WeaponBoy posted:

No, that poo poo happens to everyone. I think they just applied that dust cloud filter rather poorly. It seems like a huge sphere that doesn't quite reach certain areas farther away from C.

That's what he's saying. The top shot is rare for him, though it's the intended effect. He gets the second shot most of the time.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hey, at least it's not Wake Island! :eng99:

Orv
May 4, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

gently caress Wake Island unless they bring back moveable carriers. If they made the carrier a mobile cap point with crazy firepower, it could be really cool, but every iteration since 1942 has been garbage.

While I agree on the carrier points, I haven't enjoyed the map since 1942 (and maybe not even then) because it was the premier "Ain't got a vehicle? Get hosed" map. You get to run from wherever you spawn to a point, and then get bombed/tanked/strafed/rocketed/whatever. Rinse repeat.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Systematic posted:

Wookie nests?

Any building top ever on Siege.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Still love the 2142 soundtrack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5R8KpDj9lhQ

Orv
May 4, 2011
:golfclap:

Now do a code wheel.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Naturally Selected posted:

Battlefield-related, BF1942 is free on origin right now. Anyone feeling like some nostalgia?

I believe they ended that promotion, but if you got it during that you get to keep it.

Which admittedly, is pretty peak EA.

Orv fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Oct 6, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lazyfire posted:

My opinion of Domination is simply "Never again" after two rounds. You spend half the game trying to get points that are either too out in the open or too easily defended. The major offender is the C and B flags. B flag is in the street, C flag is what usually would be D. If you wanted to guess how many people are swarming the D roof "everyone" would be fairly accurate. When your dumbass teammates insist on trying to take on the people on the roof it is just an exercise in frustration as they may or may not make it past the designated elevator campers and then have to contend with the ten recons on the roof.

I guess it's nice that the COD people who have no idea that Battlefield is a different game will enjoy it at release.

My issue with the Siege of Shanghai Dominion map is that it's basically just "Who's controlling the A roof? Okay they win"

Orv
May 4, 2011

Kibayasu posted:

Maybe the hole in ceiling is implying the character there dropped down from there! :haw:

If they made Metro a multi-level thing that you can easily transfer between or shoot between floors of that would be okay with me. Like a shopping mall with multiple levels and a huge well in the middle kinda thing.

E: poo poo just make a shopping mall map, I'm not entire sure why there hasn't been one yet. Plenty of room for tanks in your average American mall.

Orv fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Oct 7, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Sandweed posted:

One of the comments: If you headshot another person at the same time as they headshot you, you both die no matter what your health is.

if this is true that is peak :dice:

That explains that at least. I have that happen pretty frequently. Once every other match or so.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Zzulu posted:

Metro was my favourite map in BF3. I loved how you started fighting in a beautiful park, then went underground in the tunnels for a lot of close quarters stuff (shotguns are my favourite gun type) and then you got above ground in an urban setting for that final push. It was great in Rush mode and I totally get why it was BF3's most popular map. It wasn't super-battlefieldy due to the narrow corridors and lack of vehicle combat but it was still fun, I thought. :unsmith:

I didn't play any of the DLC so I don't know those maps. So far in BF4 Shanghai seems to be an okay map. I get most of my action and kills via vehicles there and not a whole lot of infantry stuff so far but I guess I just still need to find those infantry hotspots

Yeah that's not the Metro pubbies were so in love with. The one they loved was the up-escalator/down-escalator fight a B (C?) for about an hour.

Orv
May 4, 2011

OneEightHundred posted:

The MP7 also had 41 rounds with extended mags for some reason.

Which was my saving grace. :v:

Orv
May 4, 2011
poo poo, well I guess I'll be having a gripping emotional experience 'cause I want to P90 and bushwhack fools.

Orv
May 4, 2011

ethanol posted:

Heads up, I ended up cancelling my amazon order because they wanted 4 hours to process the order. I ended up buying it on origin and got my key instantly. That's never happened to me on amazon before, but it did today.

Mine said that and then went through a couple minutes later when I bought it last week. :shrug:

E: No appropriate vet status here either.

Orv fucked around with this message at 15:58 on Oct 28, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
What an awful, awful campaign, even by modern military shooter standards. In their quest to have awesome setpieces, the arenas were loving awful to fight in. In their quest to make it challenging, they made grenade launcher wizards an enemy. And while it wasn't the stupidest shooter campaign I've ever played (hello Warfighter), it wasn't good or smart by any means. Not remotely worth it for the P90.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Fallom posted:

How is that stupid tactical scope supposed to work in single player? I hold down Q, my weapon goes away, then it tells me to press T to zoom but nothing happens when I do that. I checked my key binds and set them to the default, and I also tried every other button while holding Q.

Just hold Q and while it's up sweep it over all the enemies you can see. It's a story device for marking enemies.

Sedisp posted:

The ending was my favorite part. Probably goes down in history as the most anti climactic moment in any videogame.

The moment I realized they were going to make you choose I just groaned until they stopped talking.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Oct 29, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011
I posted that first post the moment the credits started. They're still going, and they are not skip-able.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Oh hey, I didn't get anything after the shank, great. loving christ.

E: AHAHAHAHAHAHA AHHHHHHHHHHHAHAHAHAHA. You have to play the final mission three times for the P90.

Orv fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Oct 29, 2013

Orv
May 4, 2011

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

While this game is certainly beautiful, something about it keeps giving me this nagging feeling that it doesn't look as good as BF3. Maybe not even that it doesn't look as good, just... I don't know, sparser? Is there less debris and props strewn about the levels, or something?

What Republicans said and in addition the blown up poo poo doesn't leave as much rubble and stuff behind, so it's all flat and very little mess by the end.

Orv
May 4, 2011

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Let's also give them kudos for making us replay the opener from BF3 in its entirety instead of spending five minutes doing a synopsis.

Yay for cut and paste!

There's nothing from BF3 in the campaign, what are you smoking?

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alan Smithee posted:

Jesus Christ I can understand my machine not being able to handle ultra settings but even at medium it's ducking chugging. I feel like the one time prom queen who can't even get free admission at a club anymore :smith:

If you're playing on 64 player servers it's probably not your machine.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Naturally Selected posted:

As an aside, am I just getting old or are enemies much harder to see than in 3?

I'd say yes but I am also getting old. :smith:

Orv
May 4, 2011

lonter posted:

Flying jets reminds me of playing BF3 with a far too old CPU - the whole cockpit kept shaking as if there were nearby explosions all the time. Is this the server lagging / rubberbanding?

64 player servers especially have some crazy rubberbanding going on, stick to 48 until it gets solved or you find a magic server and stick with it.

Orv
May 4, 2011

DrPop posted:

I could swear I've been one-shotted by a bolt action at close range that wasn't a headshot.

From ~45 meters and closer a chest shot with the starting sniper is a kill.

Orv
May 4, 2011

tehinternet posted:

... and you're complaining about a slow motion fifty foot M320 shot as being difficult? :colbert:

Seriously, if someone as lovely as me at these kinds of things can hit that first go, no-one should ever have a problem with it.

The chopper and TOW segment of the dam mission however, I may have managed to shoot the TOW missile directly through the passenger cabin of the chopper... twice.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Hmm, my server browser appears to have died. Can't find any servers with any settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orv
May 4, 2011

Alkydere posted:

Oh for fucks sake. Please don't tell me if I quit out of the credits early, the really long credits, that I don't get credit for whatever ending I chose?

The last level isn't so bad, especially if you take dual grenade launchers and go to town on Chinaman rear end, but gently caress I do not want to replay that again right now.

My unlocks for doing the last two levels (and both endings) don't show up on my Battlelog as complete, but I have access to the MP weapons. :shrug:

• Locked thread