Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR
I can't take my mask off. I tried doing it by changing hairstyles and it's changed me to bald underneath. I don't want to wear this mask forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MoreMetalBrian
Oct 20, 2009

Well, I don't want Fop, goddamn it! I'm a Dapper Dan man!

Samurai Sanders posted:

Other than apparently being in cars, is there anything you can do to undermine auto-aiming when it's being used against you? Any way you can duck and weave that it just can't deal with?

If it was up to me, GTAO just plain wouldn't allow it, but that's just me.

I haven't been able to confirm it, but in the last GTA V thread, someone suggested rolling (aiming, then pressing X/Square).

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Slim Killington posted:

I can't take my mask off. I tried doing it by changing hairstyles and it's changed me to bald underneath. I don't want to wear this mask forever.
Maybe your character is Darth Vader and can't live without his mask.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Venmoch posted:

Not sure how many people know this, but I'll put it up in case no one knows.

You're able to Deposit cash into your Back Account using your phone. (Go to Money & Services and then select Maze Bank there'll be a big red "Deposit" button.

It's fuckloads simpler than going to an ATM after every mission and it means if some clever bastard catches you after a mission and kills you, he'll get nothing as there will be no cash to drop!

Also, if you want easy cash. Ambush people who've just robbed a store and grab the cash they've dropped. Less chance of the police chasing you and the satisfaction you've stolen someones hard earned $1000!
Also it takes about 3 seconds flat to turn on passive mode for $100, then you can take your sweet-rear end time depositing your cash without worrying about getting ganked or run over.

Herr Direktor
Mar 19, 2006

coyo7e posted:

Also it takes about 3 seconds flat to turn on passive mode for $100, then you can take your sweet-rear end time depositing your cash without worrying about getting ganked or run over.

Pretty sure you can, it just adds to the other players rear end in a top hat rank or whatever.

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

Slim Killington posted:

Hold the back/select button. Go to inventory, pick either glass or helmet and it will unequip your mask if unequiping the mask slot won't work.

A c E
Jun 18, 2007

Is this weird? Is this too weird? Do you need to sit down?

coyo7e posted:

Is passive mode actually working? I only saw reports of it on Day 1 when it wasn't working (possibly) and people were getting Uzi'd while walking down the street.

Slim Killington
Nov 16, 2007

I SAID GOOD DAY SIR

Merchant of Death posted:

Hold the back/select button. Go to inventory, pick either glass or helmet and it will unequip your mask if unequiping the mask slot won't work.

Ah I'll go buy some glasses, thanks!

Merchant of Death
Jan 19, 2006
Cha-Ching

coyo7e posted:

Run over deaths/explosive cars/tankers beside you will kill you in passive. Passive only seems to help with gunfire while you are on foot.

Even in shops you aren't safe, what the person can do is jam a car in the door and shoot you from the outside while you are inside.

Dookie-In-The-Pants
May 7, 2008

You don't have to tell me
this is a bad joke.....
you CAN just ignore it.
PS3. 1st attempt I got kicked during the intro, 2nd attempt stuck in the parking lot of lost souls, 3rd attempt somehow raced Lamar and did the drug bust solo. Got up then to having my own car and then had to reset after being stuck in the blue ring for the Last Team Standing match. Time now to try to get back in, pray nothing got erased, and look for some of my crew!

E: can't access online, or crew members, and my character's gone. Try try again

Dookie-In-The-Pants fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Oct 3, 2013

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

I'm playing tennis right now at Vespucci on PS3 with one of you. Elkwill84?

Gawdfather
Jul 29, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Meth'd up is like impossible to do solo. I couldn't find anyone in match making to do it so tried solo three times. Went poorly.

Keep hammering away, I managed to figure it out. Hint: Cover and remember where they spawn from, then snipe them before they attack.

Does anyone know how to get the previously mentioned mission to replay again, If I finished it turned off my PS3 and went to bed? I like the nice payoff from that mission.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
The first repo mission I did where the car was in motion, I followed it halfway across the state before realizing that it was just plain faster than mine and I was never going to catch it. Is that something that will happen regularly?

edit: in either GTAV or GTAO, is there a way to tell your distance to a moving target like a fleeing car?

Samurai Sanders fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Oct 3, 2013

isk
Oct 3, 2007

You don't want me owing you
I think GTAO is karmic balance for how relatively smooth the FFXIV launch was for me. At best, I'll get stuck after winning the opening race. My latest glitch is to get locked into a character I didn't create, one without eyebrows or legs. It's literally a gap between the torso and shoes. Also, the texture of the top looks like it's worn inside out, a la Fresh Prince.

I ain't even mad.

circ dick soleil
Sep 27, 2012

by zen death robot
GTA Online - Where did the cloud go?

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Merchant of Death posted:

Run over deaths/explosive cars/tankers beside you will kill you in passive. Passive only seems to help with gunfire while you are on foot.

Even in shops you aren't safe, what the person can do is jam a car in the door and shoot you from the outside while you are inside.
Hmm good to know, I usually just drive into the car customization shop when I go afk

Hatbox Ghost posted:

GTA Online - Where did my butt go?

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Jetamo posted:

Go into single player, and select the aiming option to whatever you want, free aim or something, and then when you join MP you'll be put into a free aim session.

According to posts by others in the original GTA5 thread, what it does is use your setting from single player and then locks it when you get into online. Everyone has whatever setting they set in single player, which means most in free roam will have some kind of auto aim. You may be thinking/hearing of the ability to set the aiming type in the deatchmatch/versus modes when creating missions/jobs/etc. that aren't free roam.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

Samurai Sanders posted:

The first repo mission I did where the car was in motion, I followed it halfway across the state before realizing that it was just plain faster than mine and I was never going to catch it. Is that something that will happen regularly?

edit: in either GTAV or GTAO, is there a way to tell your distance to a moving target like a fleeing car?

If you use the quick GPS you can keep setting it and updating it. Works well and is quick.

satanic splash-back
Jan 28, 2009

rizuhbull posted:

Same here. I'd be far more willing to try playing if I wasn't fairly confident none of my progress will be saved.
It certainly does. Right at their model too.

To be fair the aim assist locks on to people's chests, so some cars with big windows and high seats are really easy to die in.

On the other hand some sports cars have such tiny windows that players have to adjust the aim after locking on, which makes your chance of survival a lot higher.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
White like Frank Black is
Has anyone created a character that has permanent scarring/lesions/discoloration on the face - as in, not caused by injuries while playing? I made a guy that had RDR's John Marston in his family tree and seems to have inherited his ... well-worn face.

I don't mind so much because it kinda makes my guy look like a dirty scumbag, which is fitting.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Survival is pretty neat. Forgot which wave but attack helicopter VS my soloing self + hillbillies on foot :haw:

I'd invite lower level crew but it doesn't think I'm in there in-game.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Shonuff posted:

Has anyone created a character that has permanent scarring/lesions/discoloration on the face - as in, not caused by injuries while playing? I made a guy that had RDR's John Marston in his family tree and seems to have inherited his ... well-worn face.

I don't mind so much because it kinda makes my guy look like a dirty scumbag, which is fitting.

Illegal activities and sports(a little) add facial scars / bruising.

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007
^^^
Thanks, that explains it. I cranked up the Illegal Activities slider pretty high.

Samurai Sanders posted:

I've had to quit out of a few of these because I never catch the goddamn car. It's not like missions in the SP game where the target won't take off until attacked. The fucker just drives endlessly as far away as possible.

GruntyThrst
Oct 9, 2007

*clang*

Some hot tips:

Body armor is loving worthless. Don't waste money on buying it; even the level 4 body armor is going to take 1, 2 bullets MAX before it's gone, and unless you've in cover the next 2 bullets are going to kill you anyways.

The amount you pay for medical bills when you die appears to scale with your level. I used to pay 500ish, now I pay like 1100 or so at level 24.

I don't think you pay medical expenses if you die in a mission, but you do drop the usual $100.

Smoke weed every day.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS
There need to be big siren and bold parts of the OP which say don't jack up illegal if you don't want your character to look like poo poo. Starting stats are basically meaningless anyway since you'll improve them in the game just by playing.

the truth
Dec 16, 2007

ATTN: Elwwill84, sorry for accidentally pistol whipping you in the back of the head while we were holding up that liquor store.

Ghosts n Gopniks
Nov 2, 2004

Imagine how much more sad and lonely we would be if not for the hard work of lowtax. Here's $12.95 to his aid.
Driving is the pieceiest of cake to level up. I went all sleep & sports with the rest in friends & family and I look great, except my face which is like a black John Marston.

And I took 100% heritage from the mothers sides for both parents and my own female character.

Obsurveyor
Jan 10, 2003

Shonuff posted:

I've had to quit out of a few of these because I never catch the goddamn car. It's not like missions in the SP game where the target won't take off until attacked. The fucker just drives endlessly as far away as possible.

Yeah, don't even try to do these solo. The driving and shooting is so horrible that it makes it almost impossible to catch them. They move so quickly, it felt a lot like they were tested with more traffic. If there was more traffic, they'd be slowed down a lot more because you can actually catch up to them when they run into a bit of a jam.

coyo7e
Aug 23, 2007

by zen death robot

Obsurveyor posted:

Yeah, don't even try to do these solo. The driving and shooting is so horrible that it makes it almost impossible to catch them. They move so quickly, it felt a lot like they were tested with more traffic. If there was more traffic, they'd be slowed down a lot more because you can actually catch up to them when they run into a bit of a jam.
Wouldn't it stand to reason that some cars may be outside of a player's current stat/car limitations until they gain more levels though?

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

Obsurveyor posted:

I beat the mission where you are supposed to repo 2 cars that are driving around for Simeon by myself. It really, really sucked but it seems people dont want to join mission invites, everyone is just horny about deathmatches and races even though those give almost no rewards compared to doing missions.

Needs More Jazz
Nov 4, 2009
Been trying on and off since launch to log-in on the PS3, and still nothing. I'm wondering if I just have bad luck.

Super jealous of all you goons. Hope that this clears up soon so me and some fools can rob a gas station, blow up the tanks, and probably kill ourselves in the ensuing firefight with the police...

...and than go play golf.

FirstPlayer
Jan 1, 2007

Beat me up and earn
fifteen respect points

I've had my character get corrupted every single time I exit online and come back to it later. I haven't had any issue with playing, but nothing gets saved. I made sure all the ports were forwarded and deleted the cache/title update; has anyone else run into this and fixed it somehow? None of my friends are having it happen to them and it's pretty frustrating.

Edit: 360 version.

FirstPlayer fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Oct 3, 2013

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
Earlier today I got through
- race with Lamar
- clothing store
- drug deal takedown
- first store robbery
- Los santos customs
Then I went to start the death match at the factory district, it shows me the message saying I can now start or enter my own Jobs, and the game crashes.

I get back on and I'm still able to join my own jobs, but it started me back before Lamar tells me to rob the drugstore. Simeon won't call me up after.

My point here is, does not doing Simeon's job screw up your progress? I've been getting texts from other characters saying I'm doing a good job, but no one is giving me anything. Do I need to restart?

Shonuff
Sep 26, 2007

Obsurveyor posted:

I did one with another player and it was the same outcome. We kept chasing the AI car around like we were the Keystone Kops and he always outran and outcornered us. I would let the other guy chase the AI and try cutting him off but he always seemed to get away. Got so frustrated I shot the poo poo out of the car and it still kept going. Ugh.

On another note, this is probably basic knowledge but I've found that stealing high-end cars and selling them to LS Customs is the easiest way to get quick cash. I can get roughly $4k-$8k per car, which seems far better than most missions or robbing stores. However, I noticed last night that the shop apparently cuts you off after a while and won't accept any more cars.

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

tehsid posted:

Reserved for stuff.

http://support.rockstargames.com/hc/en-us/articles/200426246

Add to op when you wake up.

Athanatos
Jun 7, 2006

Est. 1967

the truth posted:

ATTN: Elwwill84, sorry for accidentally pistol whipping you in the back of the head while we were holding up that liquor store.

Yeah this is another thing everyone does when they are first starting, punch their partner in crime in the face during a stickup.

If you want to roll 2 guys, have one be the driver and one the stick up guy. Stick up guy is responsible for getting the cash, splitting it after the job, and setting waypoints to the next joint. Driver is the get away from cop guy. If you got a good driver, things can go really quick, so maybe toss him a little more past 50%

And incase anyone doesn't know: Hold the Back button, go to inventory, cash, and Split Cash from Last Job. Even robbing a liquor store counts as a job so it's a quick way to give your pal cash.

El Hefe
Oct 31, 2006

You coulda had a V8/
Instead of a tre-eight slug to yo' cranium/
I got six and I'm aimin' 'em/
Will I bust or keep you guessin'

the truth posted:

I'm playing tennis right now at Vespucci on PS3 with one of you. Elkwill84?

That was me :)

Lots of lag I think though.

Old Doggy Bastard
Dec 18, 2008

Tri86 posted:

Total noob to online console gaming.

So while I was creating my character I heard some guy on a mic commenting on the choices I was making. What the hell just happened? Is this a PSN or GTA:O thing? Is there anyway for me to make my dude in peace?

When someone says the word human being I turn my head wondering if they are talking to me- that is how terrible people are in most online games. There is no doubt a character creation setup that makes everything the best it can be, and if you make a character using that, someone will still call you a noob who doesn't understand the game. Additionally they will still call you human being. You can mute people thankfully if you mind them, but I personally just respond under a wide array of personas:
  • Actually Gay Serving Member of the Armed Forces, channeling the energy of Goons in Platoons to give a half a stern talking down to that is half heartfelt disappointment and half gently caress you I risk my life every day and you are going to talk to me about how guns work? Its a loving game.
  • My Dad Works for Rockstar gently caress You, being as cliche as loving possible.
  • Normal Person, by far the best choice. I simply explain that this is a game and not even a hardcore shooter and that I'm a student, boyfriend, and small buisiness owner who has a lot bigger things going on in my life so sorry rear end in a top hat you don't really register for me.
  • Normal Person: MOVIE BUFF EDITION, same as above in that you don't let it get to you but instead you reply in movie, television, music, and other pop culture references. My favorite example is when someone asks me my name so they can kill me. "You want to know my name? gently caress You. That's My Name!"

You can have fun with this by making a persona that suits you. The responses to assholes are endless! Just remember that if you come here and brag, you brag about how you handled some rear end in a top hat. Never come and brag about telling off a new player because in that situation, mistaken as you would be, you are the rear end in a top hat.

Tips for life!

NOTE: When people post about characters being deleted, could you post what system you are on along with when you made them and when you tried to get to them and how? These details would help.

bobby2times
Jan 9, 2010

stuart scott irl posted:

AFAIK auto aim doesn't lock on to people driving in cars so that guy probably was doing it free hand

Auto aim works for everything except shooting from a vehicle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghetto Blaster
Jul 25, 2006

This is so frustrating, i was reading the thread the last couple of days and it looked like 360 players were getting online ok, expecting to get on myself today, i've made it past the race once in 3 hours.

• Locked thread