Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Some info that people may be curious in. It seems that some of the apartments in the same price range are completely identical visually inside. The only thing extra you're paying for is the location.

Namely, the $80k and $87k (both 2-car) ones are copy-pasted, even down to the props you can use inside. I imagine it's the same for the ones that cost around $200k (10-car), but for those you at least get a working window so the view may justify a price difference. The ~$200k ones also seem to the be the one they showed off in the trailer, extremely spacious inside with a gorgeous garage for showing off cars.

Might be worthwhile getting a list of which properties give you which interiors exactly. I think there may be four or five different price brackets, looking at the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I had Martin Madrazo call me, but I was distracted by party-chat at the time. Can anyone summarize what he said, if it was anything other than "I might send you missions from time to time."

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

the truth posted:

Just set a world record on a motorcycle race lap (Staying On Track) by four seconds? Ok, sure.

Combat Pretzel posted:

I also set a WR on some race earlier. Surprised me.

Barely anyone is doing the races for some reason. And it often tells you that you set a WR when you didn't, probably because the leaderboards were down at the time.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Meth'd up is like impossible to do solo. I couldn't find anyone in match making to do it so tried solo three times. Went poorly.

Applies to a lot of the co-op missions, the sheer damage output of the enemies makes it seems like they're not balanced for anything under four players. Not to mention the enemy AI seems to have real good aim even at a huge distance.

Did the one outside the Strip Club earlier, a single bullet completely destroyed my body-armour and a couple more put me straight into critical health. $9k payout, but had to be real careful with the cover.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Catpain Blackudder posted:

2 quick questions

Is it possible to aim from the passenger seat without shooting?

Im assuming this is a server bug but I'll ask incase, anyone else unable to buy property? keeps telling me I have insufficent funds despite having more than enough money to buy it

Yes, just hit LT to aim and RT to fire as usual.

Is all your money in the bank? You can't pay for properties with out-of-pocket money.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Robawesome posted:

This sounds like nonsense. I played several death matches last night and didn't lose anywhere near that much money for dying.

I think it might be closer to $10 for drops in Deathmatch? There definitely is money littered around when you kill dudes, but I'm not sure if it even comes out of the bank account or not.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
The missions get a lot more involved once you get to higher ranks. Had an awesome three-part from Gerald which involved the usual stealing drugs off dudes, but then had you go burn down a bunch of gang member's cars with jerry cans afterwards.

Also managed to finally get a mission off Lester at level 19. Pretty intense time-limited run where you race through the city destroying police vehicles in a bulletproof car. Really long, and it didn't seem to provide many of the explosives off hand though. Ended up costing more in supplies than we ended up getting back in payout. It was fun, just not profitable.

Has anyone bought a boat / helicopter / plane yet? If so, where do they go?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

zenthursdays posted:

Anyone know whether or not you can ultimately max out all of the different stats? Wondering if the starting stats you pick are actually significant past the early levels.

They do raise fairly decently as you play, not quite as fast as single player. I'm already 80/100 in Driving by doing a bunch of races. I've seen people on my friends list with near maxed out Stamina. I wouldn't worry too much about them when making your character.

There's also rumours that they actually degrade if you don't keep pumping them up.

Divine Blob posted:

http://imgur.com/a/evRNK

Here's some pictures of the apartment.
This looks identical to the $233,000 one my friend bought earlier.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

mcpringles posted:

Whats the best way to raise strength, stealth and shooting? My driving and stamina are rising quickly but the other three aren't. I haven't done much sports but I've done a lot of shooting in missions/free-roam but its not really rising.

I think the game-modes increase it more than just dicking around in free-roam, so for Shooting / Stealth do a lot of DM and make sure to enable stealth mode (it hides you on the radar too, so do it!). Not really sure what you'd do for Strength other than perhaps Golf or Tennis.

Athanatos posted:

The server ate my apartment and I did not get a refund of the money.

I had cars in that garage :smith:

This exact thing happened to me too; make sure you submit a ticket to Rockstar on their support site. Hopefully they're recoverable. Or at least reimbursable.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

marktheando posted:

I think you should be able to once the launch problems die down. There's definitely options to join a friend's session and to invite crew members to activities.

The problem is keeping a group together between doing free-roam stuff and heading off to missions. You often get split up once you head back to the open-world after doing jobs.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Obsurveyor posted:

You only, ever, lose money if you're holding it and you have to be carrying more than $5000. You can't put online money into the stock market at this time.

You should probably check your transaction history when you get the moment. You have to pay a fee every time you die, even in missions. And as we found out earlier, even in things like Top Fun and Top Fun II.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Munion posted:

wow, even in things like Top Fun? and deathmatches? that seems a bit harsh... It seems a bit harsh but dealable in freeroam, but in modes where some one has to die, and likely multiple times, thats messed up. I really hope its not also deathmatch, never do those if you have money if it's that way.

I'm 90% sure Deathmatches are exempt, but anything with limited spawns seems to have the penalty. Basically, anything the game classes as a "Mission" : co-op jobs, team vs team jobs, LTS jobs.

It's pretty silly really, we did a whole bunch of Top Fun II in a row, and I ended up about 6k down after due to deaths, despite it being roughly 50% on the win-rate.

Aishan fucked around with this message at 00:21 on Oct 4, 2013

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Simeon's jobs are definitely my least favourite, especially the many of them that involve catching moving cars: "It Takes a Thief.." / "Chasers" / "Chasers II" etc.

If they behaved like normal drivers and you could just intercept them by stopping it front and dragging them out it would still be annoying but at least not aggressively so.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Another thing to add to the pile of things the game doesn't really explain! There are apparently ways to increase your HP.

I ranked up to level 21 in the middle of a Gang Warfare ambient mission, and it gave me a skill-gain prompt that said Max Health+ : 20/100. I'm not positive whether it's a rank thing or because I was getting a little bit shot at the time, though.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Bicycle rice at the airport is the easiest money I have ever made. It wasn't even close.

Did you also have opponents who don't realise that RB makes you got a lot faster without depleting stamina?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

ijyt posted:

This has most definitely been asked, but where do I get a crew emblem t-shirt post character creation? I might as well start off with the expensive clothes that I might buy later.

Any clothes store. It should be the first thing listed under Tops -> T-Shirts.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

cheesetriangles posted:

Is it silly to be trying to save up 400k to buy a really nice apartment as my first property?

Yes, because it's identical to the 200k ones.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

ijyt posted:

They really need to allow people to "host" servers, especially Crew Servers where members of the hosts crew can't get kicked by pubbies.

You can. If you want to do specific missions like Top Fun you have to do it via the mission corona or from the Jobs sub-menu under the pause screen. You can have closed matchmaking sessions (there's an option to set this to default under Start->Online->Options) and once you have the lobby up you can invite everyone in the crew with a single button press.

cheesetriangles posted:

Is the only difference location?

Pretty much, yes. You're paying for the view, basically.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Short and to the Point posted:

It has been fairly stable on my PS3 since last night. I'm feeling cautiously optimistic.

I have a few quick questions:

1) How do I retrieve my personal car? I don't have my insurance contact in my phone anymore and when I select option to retrieve it I'm told I don't have one. I guess that means it's gone, right?

2) How do you use R stick to increase speed on a bike?

3) I understand the RPs for leveling up but what are the other points I receive after completing a mission? JPs I think?

Thanks!

Can't answer the first. But for the second are you talking about the motorbikes or the pedal bikes? Motorbikes gain speed if you lean forward with the left-stick, pedal bikes either have a jump (BMX types) or a speed boost (race types) if you hold down the right-bumper.

I'm pretty sure JPs don't actually give you anything, but it's just an easy way of showing who in the lobby has been doing a lot of non-free roam activities.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I thought death costs were capped at $2000? Provided you had all your money in the bank, of course.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

SUPER NEAT TOY posted:

Is there a way to go back to old missions?

Not specific missions. You can call your various contacts and request a mission, but it's random which one that they'll offer you.

numbs posted:

What do you mean the game forgot about it?

Presumably it removed his ownership of it. Exact thing happened to me (and a whole bunch of other dudes). Best thing to do is submit a ticket on R* Support.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

El Hefe posted:

They are absolutely not going to make the stock market available in GTA:O, that would defeat the whole purpose of GTA$ for them.

Without the millions you get for seed money, you wont earn anywhere near what people have done in the singleplayer stock market.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Party Plane Jones posted:

You really, really need to exit out into singleplayer to be absolutely sure that the Rockstar servers actually save your progress.

I did this exact thing and still lost my (admittedly cheap) apartment. It's not a guarantee.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Speaking of bounties. If you have one on your head, is there anything stopping a friend from killing you and just giving you a share of the cash to make up for medical costs?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
For those who have tried darts, does it alternate who throws first?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

So what the gently caress is up with the car upgrading system? Specifically the engine and turbo upgrade. You have to win up to 40 races in that class of car to unlock them all. That is a lot of races to win. I could understand if it was 40 races won total, not per type of vehicle.

This was a while back, but I think this is bugged. My personal vehicle is a Vapid Dominator, Muscle-class and I have been unlocking upgrades and gaining credit for class-based wins for it despite never even racing in the Muscle-class, let alone winning.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
The missions do get a bit more involved as you rank up.

Example, one from Lester when I bought a sniper rifle. Have to steal a plane on a beach north of Paleto Bay, guarded by a dozen mooks in open space. One player gets to provide sniper support to support the others while they try and jack the plane. Once you have it, you have to land at a hostile-filled airport so the team has to jump out of the plane and clear the field while the pilot circles and prepares to make a hasty landing.

It's still not as indepth as some of the single-player stuff, but it definitely begins to ramp up from 20 onwards.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Lots of good goon missions earlier, crew invites seem to have improved significantly. And it's amazing how much more effective a competent group of players is. We took down the Titan mission without breaking a sweat, incidentally it's the only six-player co-op mission I've seen so far.

Now, for the "Death from Above" mission from Madrazo: what is the supposed approach meant to be here? It suggests para-dropping in, but the normal helicopter spawn locations are always empty. We did manage to luck out eventually by getting a random one to land at the airport, but the parachuting went poorly, to say the least.

Ended up doing it by taking position on a nearby house and sniping the guards to make room for a frontal assault. It was messy, but it worked.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

TjyvTompa posted:

How did you get the freebie RH8 in Online? I only got it for free in the singleplayer.

It's on one of the car websites (legendary, I think) and just listed as free.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

numbs posted:

They need to release the cash cards..

They had them in, but took them out due to the loss of cars/properties. Hopefully now that they're fixed...

They are fixed right? Has anyone lost an apartment or car since the title update?

Edit: Speaking of crew stuff, what is the purpose of the crew rank?

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Croccers posted:

So when you do a Gang Attack, what exactly am I looking for when it talks about loot?
There's green supplies crates around the area, they usually contain a weapon (which you can keep temporarily.) and money. They despawn the instant the gang attack is cleared, though.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Dr.Oblivious posted:

I wish Goon Street had more room, the other Xbox 360 groups aren't nearly as active. :smith:

I wish you didn't have to set an active crew and just let you invite from them all at will.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
Have to say that the online has been working wonderfully this morning. Got into a lobby with six other Goon Street members, as well as a few from Third Street Goons. Lots of wonderful messing around in Cargobobs dropping cars on pubbies and airlifting firetrucks around downtown.

Having no problems finding players doing races either. The game is really quite fun when everything is working properly.

Frankston posted:

That sounds glorious. When or how do you get the sniper rifle?

Rank 21 (might be 20?) for the sniper. $20,000 cost.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

awesome-express posted:

How do you transfer money to other people? We were tooling around with Muttering Hobo, he had a bounty set on him for 7k, we agreed to split it. But I can't find a way of transferring him his share. I feel bad for killing him now :ohdear:

Go the Interaction menu (hold Back/Select) and select Inventory. You should be able to give cash, or a cut from your last job. Just remember to hit the confirm option at the bottom once you've given him his percentage.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
I, for one, am glad they level-locked the RPGs. Free-roam would be ridiculous if everyone was just firing explosives around constantly.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011
We had that issue when we did the mission earlier, but we found out that if you hang around Vespucci Helipad long enough -- perhaps up on the overlooking highway -- an NPC should eventually land a bird you can steal.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

VarXX posted:

Also everyone that lost a character, did you quit the game by going to single player first or did you just log out?

For me, I got stuck in an endless loading screen after a Darts game. I left it running for 15 minutes with nothing happening, so I had to turn off my console. That's probably what did it in.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

team overhead smash posted:

For the Freeroam mission to steal certain cars for Simeon, will it give me any indication if I happen to steal one of these cars without knowing?

It tells you as soon as you jump in it that Simeon wants it.

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Dr. Abysmal posted:

Rank 50 for an RPG doesn't even seem that bad in comparison to some of the stuff I've seen in clothes stores, where something like a polo shirt is locked until rank 96.
Isn't the RPG rank 100? I think that and the minigun (120) are the highest.

One of the MGs might be rank 50.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aishan
Oct 29, 2011

Seltzer posted:

Destroying peoples cars and getting a bad sport punishment is the dumbest thing. To get around this I just shoot out all four tires if I see a personal car parked somewhere making it essentially useless until repaired. Also how are people locking there personal vehicles? I've had my car stolen before, while other personal vehicles I can't get into. If I can't blow up someones car, at least let me steal it.

Cars can be set to be enterable by certain groups at the owner's discretion - Crew, Friends, Crew+Friends, No-one or Everyone - on the Interaction menu.

stuart scott irl posted:

Does the plane being grayed out in the "Hardware Access" icons mean I can't steal a plane from Zancudo yet? Odd because I can do the Top Fun mission.
Hardware access is just a way of showing what you own. You can enter anything if you can find it.

I had boats listed on mine because I bought a Seashark out of curiosity.

• Locked thread