Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

BitBasher posted:

Wait, did this change with a patch or something? I swear the Comet is all wheel drive and fast as all get out, but I haven't driven one online.

I was planning to buy one online.

It’s a mere shell of its GTA IV self.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
I bought a tank because I wanted to humiliate a griefer and Rooftop Rumble proceeds were burning a hole in my pocket. I haven’t seen any reports from tank owners, so here’s my short summary.

When you want to drive it, you call up Pegasus and they deliver it somewhere nearby for a $1000 fee. There isn’t one set spawn location, thank god. I can’t say how good their coverage is in rural areas, though.

The tank goes through cars like a hot knife through butter, and that’s without firing the gun. It can take a decent amount of punishment, but it will eventually start to smoke, then beep, then explode. The main issue is police. It’s easy to rack up a high wanted level, but difficult to get rid of it in such a slow and clumsy vehicle. The sheer volume of fire the police can put on the tank can easily destroy it.

The good news is that when the tank is destroyed, you can call up Pegasus and have a replacement delivered for only $1000.

I suspect that it follows personal vehicle access rules, i.e. restricted, crew/friends only, or free‐for‐all, but I haven’t tested this. It’s next on my list. There is no gunner’s seat, unfortunately.

It’s really easy to unintentionally destroy personal vehicles in the tank. I also had many cop cars explode when they rear‐ended me. That suggests a griefing tactic—repeatedly kamikaze a personal vehicle into the tank to give the driver bad sport points.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK posted:

Is the drop point just around the corner from you so you don't see it spawn in or are there a few locations in game that it alternates between depending on how close you are?

There are set locations. One of them is the police station in Vespucci Beach, another is the Walk of Fame, where the tour bus would normally be. There’s no location in‐between, based on where I was when I called, to give you an idea of the spread.

I really wish I could drive the Rhino out of my garage to give bounty hunters a shock.

Your mechanic will move your personal vehicle around if it’s parked far away, but Pegasus refuses to deliver another tank unless you change sessions or destroy the one you have, which is kind of a pain. Maybe I’ll session‐hop and make a map of the spawn locations.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Harmburger posted:

Side note: Where is it in singleplayer?

There’s a quarry east of the Senora Highway. It’s just northeast of the wind farm.

Platystemon fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Oct 11, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Retarded_Clown_ posted:

Where does the buzzard spawn? I need some camera-guided missle action.

It spawns everywhere, but only above a certain rank, somewhere in the thirties or forties.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

robotsinmyhead posted:

So at Level 50, LD lets you call Muggers onto people in free roam. $1000 well spent for those shitbags that camp outside LD Customs downtown and shoot you when you drive out. Called them 3x, worked every time.

I'm mad at video games.

I tried the mugger on some guy who killed me for a bounty, figuring he had money on him and wouldn’t be able to deposit it immediately, but he killed the mugger.

Lamar doesn’t give refunds like Merryweather does.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

ElwoodCuse posted:

The current tantrum is "they shouldn't give everyone money it's not fair to people like us who poopsocked for our money".

The poors still won’t be able to afford a tank. That’s all that matters.

I mean that both in a smug way and because the prospect of every pubbie having a tank is terrifying.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Knightmare posted:

*spends a ton of money on a car*

*can't get full price when selling it*

ROCKSTAR IS loving US AGAIN

No, you can’t get anything at all for selling it, even the 10% you get from selling stolen cars.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

El Hefe posted:

And there's option 3. The ones like me who climb the nearby crane and snipe you back. :)

If you climbed the crane to snipe me, I wouldn’t even be mad. It takes nign forever to climb that thing.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

El Hefe posted:

I just take a heli to the top of the building and walk carefully on the beam connecting the crane to the building an from there it's only like 3 flights of stairs.

Well that’s just not the same. :colbert:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The $223 k apartment is clearly in the best location of the high‐end apartments. Well, okay, the $217 k one is in the same spot, but all it can see is the neighbouring buildings.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
The Sultan and Oracle are my favourite four‐doors, and you can steal both.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dinotron posted:

Where exactly are people finding the Sultan online? I saw managed to get one when I was really low level, but had no way of saving at the time. Now I have a garage and can't find the drat thing anywhere.

I found mine in Paleto Bay and helped a friend find one there later, too. Since then I’ve seen Sultans around the Senora Desert.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lunethex posted:

What is the general consensus on the Vacca? Good, bad, get something better?

In my limited experience, it’s the worst of the supercars in races. It looks pretty cool, though, and it’s just fine for speeding around in free roam.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Party Plane Jones posted:

No, but from what I recall the biggest garage and the most expensive apartment should have given you the achievement.

Only if you buy the property from the real estate website. Buying it in‐person from the sign doesn’t count for some reason.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

konsum posted:

Nope, just says stinger. The picture on the website showed it without a hardtop, so I was thinking there had to be a way to get it off.

If it’s like the Coil Voltic, the style you get is random (in the Voltic’s case, topless, metal top, or carbon fibre top) and if you really wanted a certain style, you’d have to reorder and hope you get lucky.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

OptimusMatrix posted:

What's the fastest car you can get online without los santos customs saying its hot or whatever.

Probably the Ocelot F620.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

The Annihilator is a Blackhawk, like the Raindance from GTA:SA. I miss some of the older attack helicopters/planes actually, there used to be one called a Sea Sparrow which was a two sweater with floats and a tracking machine gun. There was also a P-51/P-40 with machine guns to dogfight in.

That’s something GTA V sorely lacks: seaplanes and amphibious helicopters. There isn’t a single one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Many pages ago someone wanted to know if the Dune Buggy could be found online.

I can report that they can be found in the rank 70 mission “Chopper Tail” from Trevor. I did not attempt to take it to my garage or end up in the driver’s seat at the end of the mission. Personally, I’m happy with my BF Injection, but next time I get the mission I’ll see if I can keep a buggy at the end.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

MailboxFullOfBombs posted:

I think the insurance system is bugged entirely. I've had several personal cars destroyed by other players that I've had to pay to replace.

My theory is that others’ insurance premiums are paid out‐of‐pocket. Since everyone deposits their money now and drives modded cars with high premiums, it’s rare for the other guy to have enough cash on hand to pay the premium, and the game doesn’t draw from their bank account to make up the difference.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Slim Killington posted:

Gonna have to be single player only because there are none in multiplayer that aren't the perma-parked ones. They don't spawn and taxi on the runways, and there are never any just flying around in the sky. Airports and skies are empty except for players.

There a plenty of parked 747s in singleplayer, though. There’s no need to jack a taxiing one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Four pubbies climbed the crane at the construction site in an effort to kill me for a measly $3000 bounty. :allears:

Three separate chopper crew of 2–4 pubbies each attempted to take me out, too. I just hopped in the Buzzard I used to get up there and locked on to them. :getin:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Spoon Man posted:

I assume the BF Dune Buggy doesn't exist in GTA Online or it is, at the very least, the rarest vehicle. I can't even get a single search result hit of someone referencing it outside of single player or stock choices in an offroad race.

The point was calculating the max return on selling cars legitimately without glitching involved. I had a modded car unexplainedly duped in my garage and sold the extra one for just under 90k too. In fact, it's happened 2 or three times. I want my garage in order, damnit! (the bonus money doesn't hurt)

The rank 70 Trevor mission “Chopper Tail” features dune buggies.

You can usually go to your garage mid‐mission, so if the buggy can be stored in a garage at all, you should be able to get one from the mission.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Reo posted:

A while back someone posted the best 4 person stealable car. Anyone remember which one it was? I've been searching the thread with no luck.

It wasn't the Ocelot Jackal, and it was some luxury brand, not a muscle car.

Edit: I don't think it was the Ubermacht Oracle either, but hell, maybe it was.

I like the Oracle and the Sultan better, but on paper the best is the Felon.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

TescoBag posted:

I just sniped an rear end in a top hat out of a tank from a mile away with the heavy sniper. Feels amazing.

Wait, you can do this? I know where the driver’s hatch is, but I’ve never been successful shooting at it. From almost directly above, but that may be my problem.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fooley posted:

Now that I think about it, I got the naughty warning when I managed to blow someone's car up during a mission. Does that actually count? It seems silly since that's an instanced version of the car, and its fine when you go back to free roam.

Is it? I usually call the insurance company while I’m still in the mission. I’ve never thought to ignore it and see if it shows up in my garage.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
↑ I’ll have to try that ↑

Sinking Feeling comes around 50/55/60, actually. You drive into the subway tunnels and steal Grangers full of explosives for Lester.

Oh, that mission? It’s interesting to do once, but the payout is bad for the time/effort.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Lunethex posted:

Word of warning: never take or do the mission "Teaser Trailer" from Lester. Sub-par payout and they expect you to hunt down a Semi to take a trailer. They don't provide this so you have to find it, drive it to the trailer, then back to Lester's warehouse.

There are several semi trucks in the adjacent lot.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Reo posted:

But how do you tell who's even talking? In freeroam at least there's no indicator.

I think there’s an indicator on the list in the mute menu.

J2DK posted:

Maybe there is one, but I don't remember getting the warning. I distinctly remember calling the Mechanic, seeing the same menu as usual, and then pressing X only one time. Oh well, I found the car. I just need to earn the money to modify it again.

I did the same thing. I know there’s a warning if you try to drive a car out of your garage, but I think they forgot to put in a warning when you call the mechanic.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
If I put a $1000 bounty on someone, does that mean I can blow up them and their car with impunity? :unsmigghh:

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Harmonica posted:

There's tons of locations where its clear they've left open the chance to add content (like white water kayaking, hunting or pool), and I have to hope for more than just instanced games.

A friend and I were fleeing the cops when he drove our convertible into a river. Right next to some jet skis, on which we made our white‐water escape. It was every bit as :black101: as it sounds.

You could just buy an airport shuttle for $30k, it carries the same # of people.

I think it performs better, too.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Someguy posted:

There are a bunch of easy strats for Base Invaders, you can land at the farthest plane, plant a sticky on it, run up to the others, snipe the pilots and sticky them, then detonate them all at the same time reducing the time you spend running around with the base alarm going off. Or you can just jump in the jet that spawns in the middle of the base and crush everything with your guns.

It's probably one of the easier missions to solo even on hard.

My favourite is the start the mission in LS and call Lester for a helicopter, which is always a Buzzard if you’re above a certain rank. Take the Buzzard to the air base and use it to destroy the Lazers and soldiers with lock‐on.

frontlineKHAAAN! posted:

10. Colour code the text message pop-ups so you know if the invite is from a crew mate or a pubbie. I shouldn't have to memorise the 299 other members of my crew, especially if they aren't in the same session as me.

Invites from crew members just say “Invite to MISSION” on the list on your phone instead of giving the details. You can also disallow invites from pubbies in the options menu.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Intrepid00 posted:

Some pubbie running around in a tank thinking he is baller? Just run your car into the back or front of his tank with your personal car. The tank will crush it and give him bad sport.

I just shoot them through the driver’s port. You can in fact do that.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Intrepid00 posted:

That doesn't send them to bad sport hell though.

This is true. I wonder who would be responsible if a Cargobob were to bombard the tank with personal vehicles.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Yardbomb posted:

I'm partial to Cockstar, at least you can have an admittedly stupid giggle at it.

I came up with “Rockstore”.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Good Lord Fisher! posted:

Holy guacamole, I just realised that installing a stunt cage on my Sabre Turbo stops me from taking any damage when I crash into poo poo. My car is death proof :getin:

It’s an unlisted bonus of roll cages, and it’s great. The ability to fit a cage is a choice feature.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Elliptical Dick posted:

FWIW, you only spend 245 GTAbux on dying now.

If that’s true, I’ll take it. As much as I love sticky bombs, deaths cost me far more. I’m already rich as Crœsus from pre‐nerf Rooftop Rumble, so it’s not like I need the mission income. I only do missions to break up free mode shenanigans.

My condolences to new players.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

HiriseSoftware posted:

Seems you can't garage cars during a mission anymore. I tried to garage the Felon GT from Out of Court Settlement but I couldn't. Is there a way to guarantee getting this car after the mission?

At least the loading after a mission is quicker now.

It’s a good thing I already stole an Ocelot Jackal from Water the Vineyard. That’s the only time I’ve ever seen one.

SplitSoul posted:

Yeah, except you always respawn close to where you died and are visible on the minimap. Players with RPGs or Buzzards would just lock down others with ease, and it'd be even harder to escape if two or more were cooperating. The Bad Sport system needs some refinement for sure, but there needs to be something to prevent endless griefing.

Buzzards lock on to NPCs but can only lock on to players who are in aircraft. RPGs don’t lock on at all.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Feenix posted:

Here's what I don't understand about destroying cars and bad sport hell...

If destroying a player's car is such a griefous (yes that's an intentional
misspelling) then why allow it at all.
I'm not saying *I* want it gone, I'm saying, if R* thinks it's such an evil that deserves banishment with cheaters and hackers, WHY is it a gameplay mechanic in freeroam at all?

Right??

If you ask me, car deliver/replacement should abstracted. Just let players spawn any owned car in front of them with the phone. The mechanic and insurance company are cute the first time you call them, but it’s skeumorphism taken too far at the expense of gameplay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Dangerous Person posted:

Sorry if it's been asked a lot, this thread moves really fast. I was under the impression that you could use sticky bombs to open safes in stores you rob. Was I mistaken?

Yes.

• Locked thread