Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Show us what you got, what you got

Parkingtigers posted:

Also, something hilarious about the strip club. No bouncers, so you can touch the dancer as much as you like. The flirting is no longer a button though, you have to talk into your microphone to flirt. Rockstar are being glorious trolls here, someone somewhere is going to embarrass themselves over mic and I only hope I am there to witness it. :allears:

Do private dances or the strip club have any benefit in GTA:O?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Can we add to the OP that no one is actually setting world records?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

For those who got past the tutorials, is it still tough to get into GTAO or was the primary bottleneck? Assuming your character wasn't deleted of course.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Just had my first jets vs dirtbikes. We replayed it five times. I honestly don't know which side was more fun.

fake edit: I think the Sentinel XS is available as a first car and that's one of the good ones

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Robawesome posted:

My rank 15 guy seems totally gone now, online character select isn't even showing the proper cash balance anymore. Should I wait this out, or is it safe to start a second character in the second "slot"?

No one really knows for sure. Characters exist in the cloud and sometimes your game won't find them like it won't get stock prices. It doesn't mean the game ate your dude, the cloud servers have been flickering off for days now.

I'd think a new character slot would be safe but no one can really say.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

MrLonghair posted:

People are still, as in within the hour, losing characters.

I had my character in slot 1 come back. Alternate character slots and hope for the best, the servers are still getting hit hard. It's like if PayPal was getting a DDoS and you blame them for losing your account when you try to log on and get a 404 error.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Obsurveyor posted:

Long term goals are fine but it's gated by some pretty poor requirements, encouraging grinding over gameplay because the grinding is easier, faster and more successful.

This is pretty much every MMO ever, the community will find the most efficient way to do something and grind it forever.

El Hefe posted:

Just found out that NPCs can put a bounty on your head, I stole a car from an NPC and immediately I got a text telling me I was a fucker and was going to pay for it and right after I got a $5k bounty.

I don't know if trains exist but I think hopping in a train under cover would be a good way to ride out a day with a bounty for that achievement. And also make everyone cry while chasing you down.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Croccers posted:

If even just two players are semi-organized, one grabs a chopper, the other sits gunner in the side.
Two mates and I were placing $1000 bounties on people then hunting them down from the chopper. We ended up with quite a lot of angry players and bounties on our own heads and only buggered off when the cops damaged our chopper too much, then we shot each other to collect the bounties on our heads.

What's the point of putting bounties on people and killing them yourselves? Isn't it your own money?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Shonuff posted:

I like the Karin Futo as a widely available starter car. It's the boxy-looking 2-door with the decal on the doors. Pretty drat fast and agile.

It's a little squirrely with low driving skill but once you get a few points in the skill to control it a tad better it's pretty awesome. Like a fast Blista Compact from previous games.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Meatsicle posted:

Pretty dumb that blowing up someone's personal car gives you Bad Sport rating.

You don't mess with a man's car. It is kind of a dick move, sure if they're doing a drive-by it shouldn't really count against you, but randomly blowing up everyones cars is kind of bad-sport material.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Really wanted to join other clan members but the tags aren't loading. Guess the servers are getting hit hard!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

I took one of those giant dump trucks from the quarry into the city. It took forever as it goes 10 mph and even less up an incline, and I had no idea what I'd do with it when I got there, but it was fun regardless. Eventually I happen to drive by a group of three pubbies on the docks, they had assembled a collection of trucks and helicopters, I assume to take photos with for their clan page or whatever. I proceeded to drive this giant rear end truck in there and pushed all their vehicles into the ocean.

I have no idea why they didn't shoot me during this. I left and they followed me (slowly) for a while and then just kind of drove off. Periodically they'd try to pass me and I'd run over them, crippling their cars. It was more than I could've hoped for.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Feenix posted:

gently caress! Too bad. Any muscle cars (other than the modern Bravado (Franklin's) Allow for some cool poo poo?)

Some of the older muscle cars have some cool poo poo. I just need level 80 to get one of those engines that sticks out of the hood. :v:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Turtle Dad 420 posted:

Would it be possible to cargobob a tank out of the military base?

It sounds like you'd need 15 goons to do it. And then one unsuspecting pubbie.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Thanks for the duct grinding STRS crew, I had to bounce when MY GF got home. Think I made double my previous net worth in that hour alone.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

marktheando posted:

I don't understand why anyone is grinding anything right now when your character could disappear at any moment!

Money doesn't disappear. Also I'd bet most of us haven't lost characters.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Ziploc posted:

I'm pretty sure the fuzz gets on you the minute you enter airspace soooo...

No, not really. Maybe if you come in low over a watch tower, but you can drop in and land just fine usually.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

marktheando posted:

Yes it does, I lost $30k on my first character. And surely most people have lost characters, there are enough posts in this thread about it. If there are people who haven't lost any I'd love to know what they are doing right that I'm not. I've followed all the tips posted by Rockstar, not pressing retry, exiting to single player every time, etc.

People who lose characters are posting about it, yes, but that doesn't mean those are the only people playing. Everyone who got online fine and have been playing without problems aren't going to check in and post about it each day. I doubt there is some magic formula to not lose characters, you can minimize risk by exiting to singleplayer and not brute forcing your way into multiplayer but basically it all comes down to the sporadic cloud. I'd be willing to bet the majority of players haven't lost any character though.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Finally ended up in a free roam with a bunch of Stairs Inc dudes and it's the one time I'm showing my newb friend the ropes. Sorry to the goon with a bounty on him I was shooting at in a chopper, I don't think bounty targets get the crew outline on the minimap. Or the pink outline doesn't show up well with the red bounty dot.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Frankston posted:

gently caress that. Some guy thought he was funny running me over so I lobbed a sticky onto his car and blew it up as he drove off. That's entertainment.

There's nothing wrong with singular occurences like that. It is dickish to stand outside the insurance company blowing up everyone's cars however. I think there could be middle ground, like:

-blowing up a car with someone in it = legit
-blowing up an empty car = bad sport point

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Intrepid00 posted:

Goon loving a crew member is a real dick move that should get you kicked from the crew :colbert: Crew is suppose to be the people you roll with, not against.

How do you tell if a bounty target is part of a goon crew? I ran into this last night and the poor guy in the chopper I was shooting at had to text me he was a goon. Also how do you tell how much a bounty is worth?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Slim Killington posted:

You can't, and you also can't tell if you have an active bounty on you at any given time. Your bounty persists if you log out and back in, but sometimes you don't get the repeated "You have a bounty" message and you really should be able to check.

Edit: You can't tell how much a bounty is worth, that is. You can tell crew members on the minimap because their clips have a crew-colored outline.

Ahh gotcha. Stairs Inc crew is pink which works great on the normal white dots but I couldn't tell on the red bounty dots at all.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

RCarr posted:

I've been booted for idling too long, so there definitely is.

There is in free roam, but I haven't seen it in lobbies yet. I made a lobby so I could afk and go make dinner, and a good 15 minutes later I hear voices and it turns out my lobby had filled up. I had matchmaking open accidentally but never invited anyone.

SectumSempra posted:

or collect cars and sell them every FORTY minutes(why is it forty minutes?)

in-game day

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

SteelFusion posted:

Rooftop Rumble at level 9, holy gently caress :stare:

treesin and friends, you rule.

I got in this earlier and went from level 21 to 49 in about an hour and now have 2 million dollars :v:

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

How many sticky bombs does it take to blow up a tank? I ate about ten deaths in downtown LS trying to stop a pubbie in a tank but apparently the tank shells ignore your cover. I hit him with about six sticky bombs for sure, possibly more (I had ten total). I guess next time I'll just try my luck with passive mode, there was no escaping him.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

T1g4h posted:

Don't mind me, just chilling with my sweet rear end Buccaneer up here :smug:

Aww I don't have a pic of my Buccaneer but wanted to say what up Buccaneer bro :smug::hf::smug: I was debating my first car for a good 20 minutes but once I saw that thing I knew that was it.

bear is driving! posted:

The fact that they are knowingly killing viable ways to make money so they can sell cash cards is kinda gross.

You have to admit making 2 million in an hour is pretty broken.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Robawesome posted:

Uhh, no, again you're wrong. Getting in meant nothing, you could complete the Lamar races and be stuck in skycam oblivion two seconds later. Maybe you could reload and get back in but there was a 95% chance you'd get stuck loading a job. I really don't know where you got the idea that people that were able to connect once had no problems, that does not reflect reality at all.

Once you got through all the tutorials it was smooth-sailing for the majority of people with connecting. Then the issue was character wipes but even those people were a minority.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

El Hefe posted:

What do you mean I can't pick up a cargobob with a cargobob? Rockstar :arghfist:

This would create a paradox and crash the universe.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Anyone in Stairs Inc want to do the prison race with me in a little bit and swap a bunch of wins?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

coyo7e posted:

Yes. Very much so! :D

I'll try to find you Saturday for some quick races. We had three people and 3k for a 30 sec race isn't bad at all.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Someguy posted:

This is dumb though, you shouldn't be at the mercy of some ultra sperg just because they grinded to level 100 already or whatever.

No one's really at anyone's mercy, high levels just have more revenge options. Like calling in mercenaries or airstrikes.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

What happens with the mercenaries calldown? I've used it on randoms for no good reason and they do their job remarkably well, I'll have to do it and watch on TV sometime.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Icedude posted:

Just caught some sneaky fucker with a bounty hiding on top of an apartment building to try and trick people into thinking he was sitting inside an apartment. Clever, very clever.

Didn't save him from chopper missiles though :v:

I like doing this with some of the downtown stores, the big ones where people can't generally see your helicopter on the roof. Pubbies will gather and kill each other trying to get my sweet, sweet delicious bounty. My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard.

I was also just thinking recently, you know how in singleplayer when you light a gas trail with exhaust flames you don't get a wanted level? Does it avoid bad sports points to do the same thing with player's cars? Or driving/dropping into the ocean, etc?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Croccers posted:

Dammit Rockstar. What the gently caress am I meant to do with a vehicle I don't want anymore that sells for over $50k? That's a nice money-sink for when they relaunch the cash-cards :v:
Here, buy some expensive cars with money you paid :10bux: for. Don't want that car anymore? WHOOPS hahahahaha.

*spends a ton of money on a car*

*can't get full price when selling it*

ROCKSTAR IS loving US AGAIN

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Harmonica posted:

If the environment sets a car on fire it doesn't always count as being a player's fault, from what I can tell. So if you light up the place with fuel and/or an explosion, and someone's car just happens to catch fire from the spreading flames, it might not be your fault.

The only reason I know this is because someone set the pier on fire by blowing their car up and the fire spread to my car which exploded. They didn't pay me any money for it.

I think I'll have to do some experimenting tonight. And by experimenting I mean straight up lighting dudes cars on fire. Will report back.

There has to be some way it can be cheesed. Parking a dude's car at the gas station and then blowing up the pumps, etc.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Holy Calamity! posted:

I'm really disappointed they removed restarting missions (which is just a mindbogglingly retarded decision), because unlike some people in this thread I was dreaming big. One apartment doesn't cut it, nor does a single maxed out ride. A property on every corner stacked to the brim with sickass hot pink rides, that's the life for me.

Removing restart was retarded because there's hardly any high level content available so people are just going to be doing the same missions anyway. All removing restart does is force players to sit through even more loading screens (!!) If they wanted people to buy their cashcards or whatever it would've been more prudent to lower the payouts from the quick high paying mission.

Removing restarts prevented the entire playerbase eventually making $2 million/hour, which would invalidate the entire economy and job progression.

I don't regret grinding for an hour but I am sad I never got to see Cargo bobs. I went straight to Buzzards. :(

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Harold Cooplowski posted:

They had the clan outline on the minimap. I didn't think to write the name down :(

Generally if the same person kills me 5 times in a row I tend to remember without having to write it down. Maybe they'll show up as your archenemy on your social club page?

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

beanieson posted:

Yea, I don't even worry about jets. Has anyone ever seen the jet team win in top fun?

Yes but only when I'm on the jet team. :smug:

Buzzards are super-unwieldy as well, but I suppose if it wasn't it'd be a nightmare to deal with in free roam. Also sorry to the goon in the heli I fired a missile at, I was bounty hunting and shot without realizing it locked on to you. :v: At least you evaded it.

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

bow chicka wow wow posted:

What do you mean I can't have my own personal ambulance, Rock$tar? :mad:

I stumbled upon a limo in free roam and was very disappointed I couldn't save it. :(

SectumSempra posted:

The chrome car unlock is lame as hell then.

That's a terrible idea.
I can barely get people to stay in lobbies for 5 races consecutively, let alone winning them, all in the same class.

Host a prison race, and then invite goon crew. Set it to three laps, get a handful of goons, and everyone should end up winning every now and then. Set the laps to personal so you get good RP boosts too. Alcohol helps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeRabsitch
Aug 23, 2004

Macrame_God posted:

This. You gotta be brutal to survive GTA Online. After coming in 2nd in a friendly game of golf my competitors and I spawned at the entrance to the club. After noticing one of my competitors had a bounty, I immediately hit him with a sticky bomb and got $3000. Unfortunately I got a Bad Sport notice because I accidentally killed the other competitor and destroyed his car in the process. The owner of the car then challenged me to an impromptu deathmatch where I won 5-to-1 by nailing him with more sticky bombs. I'm sure the money I got from the bounty was completely offset by all the sticky bombs I used, but you can't put a price on being OG. :c00l:

Can someone explain how car bombs work. Does your car still have the bomb equipped when you get it back from the insurance company? I'm just asking because it sounds like a great way to troll. Get a popular car to pawn off for cash (say a Lampadati Felon GT), paint it an eye catching color, fit it with an ignition bomb, leave it inconspicuously parked in a high traffic area like outside a mod shop, then wait for a sucker to try and take it. Instant gratification.

I haven't done it yet but I'm always tempted to immediately gun down my former pubbie teammates when we finish a well-paying mission and spawn in free mode together. I'm not sure how much money they'd drop but they would have over $5000 cash. I'm also surprised I haven't been gunned down either.

As for car bombs, sticky bombs are like 1/10 the price but I suppose you then have to watch the vehicle in question. I like taking heli's, find some bounty hiding in their apartment and land the helicopter outside with a sticky bomb on it. Some other pubbie usually swings by to check out the bounty at some point and there is no way they're passing up an empty heli in the street. :getin:

• Locked thread