Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Reposting from the old thread because it bears repeating:

GTA Online Checklist

• Helicopters still spawn at hospital and can be stolen - CHECK
  • Fighter jets still spawn at military base and you can parachute from the heli into the hangar and steal them - CHECK
  • Can lock on and shoot down other players in helicopters (and not be a Bad Sport) - CHECK
  • Can buzz bomb players on the highway and make them poo poo their pants - CHECK CHECK CHECK

Gentlemen I think GTA Online is already a success.

And new content:

I was able to get in on launch day probably mostly due to luck... but you too can try what I did if you're getting stuck waiting for players on the intro mission. Go into singleplayer first, then Pause - Online - Start Solo Session. This doesn't guarantee that the race won't still break, but if you get as far as where "waiting for players" WOULD be, it should just load up and have you racing Lamar.

Once I got past that I've had very few problems with GTA Online.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Stiggs posted:

^^ I wonder if the attack chopper still spawns at the NOOSE Compound. I'll have to go check it out.
Just checked for you... looks like a negative Goon sir.

vvvvv

Problem is you look just like me. And I look like everyone else.

theBeaz fucked around with this message at 16:51 on Oct 3, 2013

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

GTA Online errors are the best errors.

Success!

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Ha. The way playing online messes with your singleplayer stuff is mindboggling. I've already beaten the game, have all guns on all characters, $70mil each, customized cars etc. I switched to Trevor and he's completely unarmed. Surely it's just a bug and Ammunation will know I have all the guns already... NOPE! Have to re-buy everything.

At least my truck was still modded.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Hey sperg lords - chill out and just don't play the game for a few days. Most of you likely have no idea how load balancing and stress testing works so stop assuming you know what Rockstar did or didn't do right. They were seriously damned if they do/don't with this release.

They SHOULD have done regional rollouts. That's the only way they could have truly stress tested the system and made fixes before introducing hundreds of thousand of more players. There is no way to accurately "simulate ~2 million connections". Things like this will always fail at first especially when a company who has never hosted an MMO gives it their first shot.

And stop comparing it to SimCity! You can play the single player in this game JUST FINE! Hours and hours of the same GTA we've enjoyed for almost 20 years. SimCity I paid $60 for and could not play by myself for over a week. Get a grip, goons!

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Why are you guys buying expensive apartments and such when there are 20 pages of people screaming that they lost their investment? Just wait! Yes it sucks but it's not like you can't see their cloud servers are still on fire. Come on.

Also to everyone upset about proper economy balance and grind: GTA Online is about fun. It's not about WoW raid tiers and who gets the coolest loot. It's playing co-op/adversarial missions and eventually a mission editor with limitless options and permutations on mission structure. If you need GTA$ to participate in that awesome sandbox of a world then you have the option to BUY it (and support R* keeping servers up) instead of HAVING to grind.

This is all pretty easy to understand when you stop raging and just think.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Aurain posted:

But fun is an entirely subjective principle and if being able to buy the car, house and clothing you want is your definition of fun in GTAO, the economy being flawed is counter-productive to that. In no way should a game encourage you to spend more of your money, it can be an option to players who would like it. There's no way to opt out of that economy and if dying costs more than you make from regular gameplay, that's a problem. You can't assume grinding is normal behaviour, and a player shouldn't have to feel as though they have to to achieve their goal. Considering people have said that after being corpse camped, they've managed to destroy the car of the person camping them and then be hit with the bill for that too, it's an issue.

tl;dr: What's fun for you and fun for another is different, so saying GTA Online is about fun, not spending money isn't really valid as reasoning for anything.
I think I misrepresented myself on some of that. I, personally, am just playing freeroam and missions as normal. I'm not grinding. I'm making some cash, upgrading things, etc. I'm not obsessing over a $400k virtual apartment because even in the singleplayer game I had to wait quite a while for the real money to start rolling in. I feel like I'm progressing and having fun and will eventually have the cash to "earn" my apartment. Without grinding I can afford things as they unlock without trying.

I was more or less speaking to those that are mad about people being able to buy millions of cash while they "had to" grind a level 15 mission over and over again to get their 400k apartment RIGHT NOW (and then lose it to a cloud save bug).

So right, I understand "fun for one, not for another" - I was speaking to the people that feel cheated. You get PLENTY of income from just playing. The game doesn't make you log out when you run out of cash.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Comrade Flynn posted:

These laser aiming NPCs one shotting you is loving insane. Is Rockstar fixing this?

This is why I ignore those whining about my hosted games having assisted aim on. Might as well even the odds a bit. The combat is still deadly even with it.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

CVagts posted:

I finally got into the game and managed to get past the tutorial and wow, am I not really enjoying this so far. I just love losing $600 from my bank account when trying to rob stores, then losing another $500 from my bank account when I try to steal my own car back.

Are you sure you're playing GTA Online?

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Add me to the list of 360 players whose character is missing this morning. Unlike everyone else (it seems), I love normal GTA as we'll so I'll just play singleplayer until it's back up.

I can't imagine the stress of the dev and infrastructure teams. I hope, for their sanity's sake, that they squash a bunch of major bugs soon.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Zedicus Mann posted:

Just disable autosave and you should be okay.

Not necessary. The newest patch disabled auto-save when launching GTAO.

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Oh my god. Why would rockstar allow comments on the loss of characters support page... It emails me every time some jackass comments. I only want R* updates!

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

Some of you Goon Street (360) goons needs to add me as a friend on XBL. Half the time I join up with goons I can't tell if they don't have mics or if they are in a party. Invite me to the party! You especially Obsurveyor!

Also - if you are non-obnoxious goon please feel free to add me. Would love to have more folks to do co-op missions and other shenanigans with.

GT: Beaz

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theBeaz
Jul 11, 2006

AaronB posted:

drat. Rest in peace Dukechin. That Buzzard is a harlot leading players to the gates of Bad Sportsville.
I really don't understand the purpose of armed Buzzards and Rhinos in freeroam. They let you have them but you practically have to be a bad sport in order to use them (or only shoot people on foot/pray they are in a stolen car). SURELY they will tweak the bad sport system at some point.

Also - why the hell do they let you enter passive mode when you have a bounty on your head? That's horseshit. Thanks to this thread I knew I could park on them and kill them. Seriously, a $7k bounty and they could just sit there and laugh? Not on my watch.

• Locked thread