Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lockmart Lawndart
Oct 12, 2005
Just chiming in to say I'm loving this LP. I know you weren't planning on doing it but I'd love to see some of the mods out for this game. I often wondered if the community has fixed some of third wires retardacity. A quick google doesn't yield much as far as AI fixes and whatnot.

A little more TLC from the devs and SF Vietnam would be my go to game so long as someone doesn't make DCS:Vietnam. Its the perfect era of air combat right before computers come in and ruin things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

For the mods, this is the abyss you suggest looking into http://combatace.com/files/category/388-strike-fighters-2-series-by-thirdwire/

The AI fixes are less relevant now. People used to tweak the odds of rolls, verticals and firing distance in the days when the AI barely knew a gun from a missile. Then First Eagles came out and TW had to patch it to make the enemies at least a bit threatening. Then some of those fixes along with the common mod changes were rolled into the SF series, and the MiGs you see now are a step forward compared to the first few releases in the series. And very little can be done to make them better.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Season 11. Linebacker II - Goons For Hire, Thugs For Rent (F-8J Crusader et al.)

S11E01: 1972.12.18 (The Other Side)

The campaign intro, and the pre-mission mercenary preparations are shown in a one-time-only menu video

The menu video

Now, that that's done...

The hosed up mission video

In which we walk a mile in NVAF shoes

The proper mission video

In which everything goes slightly better

The post-mission menu video

Errata: a success is worth 1000 points or 10 000 in money.

I'll be going out with two other planes for support. We have a choice of flying coffins to buy for the wingmen. I'll stay on the Crusader, but what should I get them from that list?
No, I can't put the AI into the AI-only planes, as that was too much of an effort to code.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

That is a pitiful amount of money it gave you, and I thought the prices in Area 88 were silly. Given how effective they seemed, I guess its a good thing the Russian planes typically don't get flares and stuff. That or you were buying your missiles from this guy, given how much those missiles cost you.

Anyways, Mercenary mode is looking (unsurprisingly) disappointing so far. Then again that seems to be the theme of SF2 as I watch your videos.

As for what planes to take as wingmen, I'd say whatever is the most effective.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 07:24 on Feb 25, 2014

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Clearly your wingmen need to be using Harrier GR.1. You never know when you need one to become a makeshift SAM site, afterall.

...Oh, right, this isn't Area88, sorry about that. You being mercenaries had me confused (jk).

Still, I'm curious how they modeled the Harriers in this game, and you playing the merc mode would be like getting an early preview for when the GR.3 is on vote.

I may also be slightly biased as I assembled a Harrier scale model kit when I was little... (And a USS Enterprise with cute little harriers to be placed on deck :v:)

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S11E02: 1972.12.19-20 (Contrast Shower)

Last time we hunted some B-52s, that were passing by. Today we actually have them as the target.

I grabbed an F-4D, because it can use up the USAF Sidewinders, and an F-4J. I had to pay only for the F-4D, because for some reason the game had deposited one F-4J into our storage. I know, I bought one for the previous mission, but it was trashed. Where did the new one come from?

The mission video

In which the Phantoms are surprisingly agile

Where is my gun kill, you piece of lovely code? :argh:
Two is KIA, but Three ejected without a scratch.

Finally, this is what happens, if you lose different variants of the same type.

Still better, than dealing with F-4D and F4D.

They want me to fly recon over an American base? Fine... All things considered, anywhere outside of North Vietnam is probably safer, than on our home runway.

We have another freebie F-4J in our hangar :psyduck:
Che puts "Haunted!" signs around it and orders something different.

The mission video

In which we feel the blues

For our heroic deeds we get an "Outstanding Success" and $20,000.

If I get another mission like that, I might take a less armed and more useless wingman. Something, like the Harrier GR.1, which can't carry any Sidewinders and in air combat is on par with the Hunter.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S11E03: 1972.12.20-21 (Money, And How Not To Do It)

We're back to patrolling hell.

The mission video

In which I remember another thing not in SF2

The outtake video

Yes, it was too early to ditch the guns.

For this we got paid $4,500. You might be puzzled, why the reward for taking out two random A-7s is higher, than the reward for three random B-52s in the first episode. How to put it... when it comes to scores and being paid just for kills, SF2 counts only the things you kill personally. The reward for the first mission was the payment for the one B-52 I gunned down. The other two, shot down by the late wingmen? No payment for those. But I still have to fork out dosh for all planes and ordnance.

Shortly before dawn Che hurried to the hangar, nervously unwrapping his cigar. A new ethereal F-4J did not appear. The curse was lifted. With a sigh of relief Che turned around, lit up, and was about to leave, when he noticed, that the second French F-8E, lost on the previous day, was back in its parking space. Free. Blue. Smug. Ready to go. Looking at his shaking hands and the cigar, smouldering on his polished boot, Che decided, that a combat mission on that morning was absolutely out of the question.

More recon. It's time to take the most useless planes with me.

The mission video

In which absolutely nothing happens, and we get paid for it

Another $20,000. The merc mode hates the player, and offers the best pay for the least fun.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Are there any mods that rebalance the merc mod economy?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Most of the merc logic is hardcoded, so mods can't help it.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

That is really a shame, because like I said earlier, merc mode is the one thing that really attracted me to Strike Fighters 2. Oh well.

Wish more flight sims would do something like that, I mean we see it plenty in space sims, why not flight sims? I guess I should get around to playing Strike Commander.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

Well that's just sad. I suppose a mercenary mode in a realistic(?) simulator type game doesn't work so well, especially with the abysmal payouts per mission and wingmen only adding to the costs.

And no AI Thrust vectoring either... dang, I was hoping to see how the game handled that with AI, maybe moving them on rails like a UFO, but nothing...

What joystick/combo do you use that has that many axes(axis? axises?)? The joysticks I've had had the usual 4, pitch, roll, yaw and throttle, and I've never been that into playing simulators to get a HOTAS controller alongside as well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

StarFyter posted:

What joystick/combo do you use that has that many axes(axis? axises?)? The joysticks I've had had the usual 4, pitch, roll, yaw and throttle, and I've never been that into playing simulators to get a HOTAS controller alongside as well.
I'm recording with an older model of the same design as this. I think, it's the cheapest stick with a dual throttle, and I use one of the levers for the TV.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
An update on Strike Fighter's Android game, I've hit the wall. Not a paywall, but a level wall. I'm currently level 8, but you have to be level 20 and 40 to get the last two generations of fighter planes. Or you can buy the planes. Pitty. Still, it's not bad for killing a few minutes at the dentist.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S11E04: 1972.12.21-22 (Flight of the Kiwis)

The mission objectives still sound more like friendly suggestions from a guy with a very sick sense of humour.

The mission video

In which we go back to the AIM-9D

$3,000 reward. We're down to three AI pilots in the unit.

If you think, the map looks more dynamic, when you fly the proper side, you think wrong. The most exciting thing, that can happen, is a complete wipe of all NVAF squadrons, which forces you into eternal recon, strike and SEAD.

The mission video?

In which the AIM-9D still rocks

After waking up to the same nightmare three times in one night, Che looked at the clock, and gave it the finger. The clock responded with a perfectly timed alarm. Che told everyone to have a day off, flung himself into the cockpit and fell asleep.

So, yeah, I skipped the mission in the "real" campaign. $0 reward? Well, gently caress you too, game: taking a fully fuelled F-8 with loaded guns to the runway costs me nothing. I can sleep through the entire war and SF2 mercenary mode has no means of stopping me.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Hey at least it doesn't come with the $5000 Penalty Area 88's pilots have to pay to skip a mission.

Also, yay, you did get around to showing off the Lightning's somewhat unique drop tanks! :3:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
"As long as my vertical speed is okay, what's the worst that could happen?"

Ah, optimism.

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Confusingly, the Lightning F.2A was the last and most modern variant of the Lightning, newer than the Lightning F.3A (a revised and greatly improved version of the Lightning F.3) and the F.6.

Also, sorry I missed a writeup on the development of semi-active radar homing, but it turns out that even decent secondary sources on its early development are difficult to dig up, so I really don't have as much information as I thought I could get. v:shobon:v

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I'm not sure whether it's amusing or annoying, that your landings are actually getting worse with every campaign :v:

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Makrond posted:

Confusingly, the Lightning F.2A was the last and most modern variant of the Lightning, newer than the Lightning F.3A (a revised and greatly improved version of the Lightning F.3) and the F.6.

...How does that work? :psyduck: Did someone's pen slip, or were they just distracted when it came time to give the type a designation?

e:

I like to imagine his landings are getting worse due to the accumulated stress of having to deal with all of the nonsense Third Wire keeps including.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Had known, what I discover at the end of the final video of this campaign, I would have skipped the landings and ejected every single time. :saddowns:

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!

Soup Inspector posted:

...How does that work? :psyduck: Did someone's pen slip, or were they just distracted when it came time to give the type a designation?

Well the Lightning F.3A was built off the F.3, with slightly redesigned wings and a ventral fuel tank which doubled its internal fuel load, while the F.6 built an ADEN cannon into this ventral fuel tank and added the ability to carry over-wing fuel tanks. The F.2A took the improvements of the F.3A and retrofitted them onto the earlier F.2s which still had the nose cannons and so didn't need the cannon in the ventral tank.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S11E05: 1972.12.23 (Nevermore)

Che carefully peeked into the hangar.

The mystery of the quiet nightly squeaking heard across the base was solved.
The planes were breeding.
Che pondered the possible solutions to the problem, as he headed for the briefing room for some free coffee and meaningless orders.

Whatever, game.

The mission video

In which we leave

Excellent, but not the good news I wanted.

That is what I wanted. This is what happens, if you lose too many people.

With our defeat the NV forces roll into Saigon, while the text tells us about the so-called victory.

Che looked at the departing B-52s from the deck chair at his aircraft ranch. The business was going splendidly, as young Harriers were selling very well. Even the Neshers saw some success, despite their lineage being very unclear; and the Crusaders sold once in a while, appealing to the most hot-headed seekers of the unusual. Che fell asleep, seriously considering expanding his operation into MiGs.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I can't help but wonder if they're locking and tracking because you've got your throttle set to 100%, even if the engine is off.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

:siren: VOTING POINT #4 :siren:
For the 1973 Yom Kippur War campaign

This campaign has a bit of a historical gimmick. Egypt deploys a brand new Soviet SAM system.
a) It has a radar, that can easily track you at treetop level, and sometimes lower.
b) It carries more missiles than SA-2.
c) Its missiles tend to guide, and have home-on-jam.
d) At the start of the war your RWR has no info about the new radar. So, you get a tracking warning, but no launch warning.
e) Most Israeli planes don't even have any RWR installed until the mid-war upgrades.

The brief summary of options is provided in the supplied informational video.

The winner will get a 5(ish)-episode season, while the losers will get one episode each.

You're choosing a plane to fight an Evil Arab invasion!

Vote in BOLD: A-4H, Nesher, or F-4E.

I'll leave it open for about 48 hours.

RESULTS
pre:
A-4H   =========
Nesher ======
F-4E   ==
The Skyhawk wins, thank gently caress. You got me scared there with mass voting for the Nesher initially.

So, I'll start with the PhantomKurnass, then show the Fall of the House of Nesher, and then get on with the chosen one.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 07:03 on Mar 9, 2014

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
Nesher. It's only appropriate. Also I'm getting bored with Phantoms.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Nesher. More Mirages!

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
The Phantom sounds too good to use. I vote Nesher.

Veloxyll
May 3, 2011

Fuck you say?!

Nesher

Because we need something other than the F/A series planes.

Nuramor
Dec 13, 2012

Most Amewsing Prinny Ever!
I'm voting F-4/E. It might be Yet Another F-Series, but I'd rather see SelenicMartian be effective and have more toys to play with than not.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
Nesher
It's a new toy.
Though I do hope Selenic shows the f4 with the 3 gunpods, just for the WTF factor.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
A-4H, since no-one else will vote for it.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

F-4/E. Vulcan supremacy!

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby
I was initially excited to see the Nesher, but I didn't realize it wasn't all that advanced. I'd rather see the A-4H because A-4s are fun and this one has some interesting toys.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Nesher, because Phantoms with internal guns is just wrong, somehow.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
The A-4: it's the Scooter, so I have to vote for it.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Let's go with the A-4.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
A-4H for hotness.

Rogue Norwegian
Apr 6, 2011
A-4H.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
A-4H

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sunburstbasser
Dec 19, 2010
A-4.

We've had enough big, heavy planes. Let's fly a small one again.

• Locked thread