Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

S15E03: 1979.09.22-23 (Bloody Miracles)

While I wasn't looking the Soviets managed breakthroughs in three points of the map. I've never seen that in the debriefs.

The mission video

In which they throw their best at us

But their best wasn't good enough.

We're sticking our long nose where it doesn't belong.

The mission video

In which our thrust-to-weight ratio is awesome

Unusually painless for a mission with no cover. This doesn't go unrecognised

P.S.
Africanus being awesome about the Harrier's hovering

Africanus posted:

Hovering in early model Harriers is where most of the fatal mishaps happened for a reason.

If you remember nothing else remember this:

SIDESLIP X AOA X AIRSPEED = The Death Equation.

A combination of AOA, sideslip and airspeed will create a rolling moment about the Harrier's longitudinal axis. This becomes fatal during a hover. If the rolling moment reaches a critical strength THE RCS LACKS THE CONTROL AUTHORITY TO CORRECT AIRCRAFT ATTITUDE.

The number one easiest way to survive a hover?

POINT YOUR NOSE DIRECTLY INTO THE WIND AT ALL TIMES.

This helps zero out sideslip.

There are ways to accomplish crosswind VLs(Vertical Landings) in the Harrier. It's kind of difficult to explain, I've never done it and only understand it in theory so I don't feel comfortable trying to teach it yet.

Rule number two?

KEEP YOUR WINGS LEVEL.

This also eliminates sideslip.

To enter a hover from wingborne(like a plane) flight is called a Decelerating Transition or DECEL. Normally we accomplish this from our normal landing pattern so teaching it here is going to be a bit different. We don't fly air speeds in the Harrier, we fly a combination of nozzle angle and power that gives us 8-10 units AOA. The Harrier cockpit and HUD setup gives us this info in a fairly convenient manner, SF 2 does not.

For a straight-in approach to a hover try this:

SETUP: 1000ft altitude(all I know is Imperial, work with me). 250 Knots and 5 miles from the airfield.

1. Reduce power to decelerate below 250 Knots(gear speed).

2. Lower Gear, Extend Flaps and Speedbrake.

3. Select Nozzles at 25 Degrees.

4. Add enough power to maintain control authority (as your wings lose lift the RCS takes over...but ONLY IF THE THROTTLE IS SET HIGH ENOUGH TO SUPPLY ENOUGH DUCT PRESSURE TO GIVE YOU CONTROL AUTHORITY) while you descend to, I dunno, 500ft? (Put the velocity vector a few hundred ft past your intended point of landing).

5. Around 3500ft from your landing point (about 5 degrees down in the HUD, good luck because SF 2, set Nozzles at 80 degrees (straight down, by now you've figured out that the nozzles go past straight down into the braking stop. You will slowly decelerate and come to a hover. Use the stick and throttle to maintain level flight AOA and level out about 100ft.

6. If you miss your intended point of landing and come to hover a few hundred feet away, no big deal. With your nose pointed into the wind, dip a wing, nose or tail toward the landing point briefly, and drift on over, reversing the process to come to a stop over the landing point.

7. Reduce power very slightly, hold the brakes as you touch down and immediately select idle to prevent bouncing.

This is very basic. Sorry I haven't been around much, Harrier ground school is kicking my rear end. Next time ill try to explain CCIP and how to make it work better(too late?)

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 18:33 on Jun 11, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Africanus
Mar 13, 2007
The Barcid Slayer

SelenicMartian posted:

Say, Africanus, is it common for Harriers to uncontrollably barrel rollspin while moving forward in hover mode? Repeatedly?

In a word, no.

BUT...

Hovering in early model Harriers is where most of the fatal mishaps happened for a reason.

If you remember nothing else remember this:

A combination of AOA, sideslip and airspeed will create a rolling moment about the Harrier's longitudinal axis. This becomes fatal during a hover. If the rolling moment reaches a critical strength THE RCS LACKS THE CONTROL AUTHORITY TO CORRECT AIRCRAFT ATTITUDE.

The number one easiest way to survive a hover?

POINT YOUR NOSE DIRECTLY INTO THE WIND AT ALL TIMES.

This helps zero out sideslip.

There are ways to accomplish crosswind VLs(Vertical Landings) in the Harrier. It's kind of difficult to explain, I've never done it and only understand it in theory so I don't feel comfortable trying to teach it yet.

Rule number two?

KEEP YOUR WINGS LEVEL.

This also eliminates sideslip.

To enter a hover from wingborne(like a plane) flight is called a Decelerating Transition or DECEL. Normally we accomplish this from our normal landing pattern so teaching it here is going to be a bit different. We don't fly air speeds in the Harrier, we fly a combination of nozzle angle and power that gives us 8-10 units AOA. The Harrier cockpit and HUD setup gives us this info in a fairly convenient manner, SF 2 does not.

For a straight-in approach to a hover try this:

SETUP: 1000ft altitude(all I know is Imperial, work with me). 250 Knots and 5 miles from the airfield.

1. Reduce power to decelerate below 250 Knots(gear speed).

2. Lower Gear, Extend Flaps and Speedbrake.

3. Select Nozzles at 25 Degrees.

4. Add enough power to maintain control authority (as your wings lose lift the RCS takes over...but ONLY IF THE THROTTLE IS SET HIGH ENOUGH TO SUPPLY ENOUGH DUCT PRESSURE TO GIVE YOU CONTROL AUTHORITY) while you descend to, I dunno, 500ft? (Put the velocity vector a few hundred ft past your intended point of landing).

5. Around 3500ft from your landing point (about 5 degrees down in the HUD, good luck because SF 2, set Nozzles at 80 degrees (straight down, by now you've figured out that the nozzles go past straight down into the braking stop. You will slowly decelerate and come to a hover. Use the stick and throttle to maintain level flight AOA and level out about 100ft.

6. If you miss your intended point of landing and come to hover a few hundred feet away, no big deal. With your nose pointed into the wind, dip a wing, nose or tail toward the landing point briefly, and drift on over, reversing the process to come to a stop over the landing point.

7. Reduce power very slightly, hold the brakes as you touch down and immediately select idle to prevent bouncing.

This is very basic. Sorry I haven't been around much, Harrier ground school is kicking my rear end. Next time ill try to explain CCIP and how to make it work better(too late?)

If anyone has specific questions about the Harrier just ask, I'll try to go back and answer some that have already been asked.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Nothing like a scenic harriercoptor flight through the inmaterial buildings of Germany. Really gives you a sense of the place.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
Hey, guess what just arrived on steam. :v:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Triple A posted:

Wow they really know how to make a game about being a fighter pilot blowing poo poo out of the sky look EXTRAORDINARILY boring.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Triple A posted:

Published by Strategy First. They been selling this one for years on GamersGate without paying a cent to the developer.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

Wow they really know how to make a game about being a fighter pilot blowing poo poo out of the sky look EXTRAORDINARILY boring.

....wow. How do you mess up that hard? There's even bits of other pilots saying that they're firing and stuff, meanwhile the view is of this other guy just flying straight and doing nothing. That is just really, really good example of how not to do a trailer for your game.

Also, just started watching this LP, on the third video. It's quite good so far, your commentary is well done and to the point, and educational to boot so thank you SelenicMartian!

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SelenicMartian posted:

Published by Strategy First. They been selling this one for years on GamersGate without paying a cent to the developer.

Meaning we're unlikely to see Strike Fighters 2 on steam any time soon? :v:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Meaning we're unlikely to see Strike Fighters 2 on steam any time soon? :v:

But that would mean they'd have to fix stuff if more people discover it, and we can't have that.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.

Cooked Auto posted:

But that would mean they'd have to fix stuff if more people discover it, and we can't have that.

I would not be surprised by this, considering how money/critique averse grog-game devs can be.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Okay, I laughed pretty hard when you eluded one plane just to run right into another.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Africanus posted:

I wasn't aware of this, though it makes sense - I imagine the Harrier's RCS isn't particularly strong (though I'm thinking more of the puffer jets than the main nozzles).

Who said LPs weren't educational? :v:

Glazius posted:

Okay, I laughed pretty hard when you eluded one plane just to run right into another.

I wasn't expecting it to happen... what, three times in a row? I'm surprised that when Selenic pulled into that climb he didn't get slapped with a missile.

Triple A posted:

I would not be surprised by this, considering how money/critique averse grog-game devs can be.

Critique averse I can understand, but money averse (unless you're implying that by being critique averse they're being money averse, in which case never mind)?

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

I think he was alluding more to sim-devs putting their view of modern/medieval/spppaacceeee combat ahead of game design and marketability. They want all the dumb/unfun features in possible while still having enough money to not starve and die in a gutter.

Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
There's also that they sell their games at 80 bux and wonder why only 13 people bought this hex-based micro-management disaster with interface from 1993. Combine this with some companies snubbing an opportunity to be on steam because they want to sell their game at a lower price-point.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

You know where you are? You're in the suburbs, baby. You're gonna drive.

Triple A posted:

There's also that they sell their games at 80 bux and wonder why only 13 people bought this hex-based micro-management disaster with interface from 1993. Combine this with some companies snubbing an opportunity to be on steam because they want to sell their game at a lower price-point.

honestly, Thirdwire snubs steam because they don't want any DRM attached to the game.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S15E04: 1979.09.24-25 (Coming From Behind)

The front is quiet, but there's something strange in the neighbourhood.

The mission video

In which we blast through their fighters

Not a bad haul overall, and the casualties stay at nil.

I ignore the resuming battles, and the game picks eight of us for a patrol.

The mission video

In which we keep blasting

No, Red Crown, you suck. :colbert:

P.S. Africanus unveils the mysteries of CCIP

Africanus posted:

This is me watching Selenic dogfight:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JQORXWmGMGk

Also a little about CCIP/Manual bombing etc:

CCIP or Constantly Computed Impact Point, is almost exactly as it describes itself.

Almost exactly?

Yes, ALMOST, the system isn't magic and has some limitations. Basically it uses your barometric altitude, airspeed, radar altimeter, pitot-static system, target or waypoint elevation etc. to place a spot on the ground where the selected ordnance is likely to fall if dropped right this instant. Considering the number of systems giving their input, there are quite a few variables that are constantly changing and the computer can't always keep up.

Another way to describe it is imagine a computer taking all this input and spitting out a solution(a pipper on the ground). If you fly in a straight line, at constant airspeed with your wings level the variables remain relatively stable, the calculations become simpler and your CCIP pipper remains relatively accurate. As you put more accelerations on the aircraft by say, diving in a turn with the power at the mil stop and accelerating, the amount of input to our poor computer increases and it begins struggling to keep up. As this continues your CCIP pipper becomes more and more inaccurate.

The most accurate way to employ CCIP:
-Spot your target several miles away(good luck, it's easier in real life, in sims it's ridiculous)
-Pick an altitude where you'll get AT LEAST a 30 degree dive angle on your bombing run. Try 8000ft to start.
-Fly offset from the target(IE not headings straight at it) so you can maintain visual contact until you roll in, otherwise it will disappear under the nose.
-Ensure your system is set up, ordnance and CCIP selected.
-When the target is approximately 30 degrees depressed from the horizon, overbank and pull your nose straight to the target or slightly above it(toward the horizon).
-Quickly roll wings level and place your flight path marker at 30 degrees nose low(if you have a pitch ladder this is easy, if not just place it on some piece of terrain a few degrees above the target and hold it there.
-If you need to make lateral adjustments, make them quickly and then return to wings level.
-As the CCIP pipper crosses the target(usually about 3000ft if you've done it right), pickle a bomb, pull up and initiate a climbing left turn back to 8000ft and extend away from the target at the reciprocal of your run in heading for another run. Check your hit and adjust for the next run. This works equally well fro forward firing ordnance(guns/rockets etc.)

The three patterns most used in training are:
High pattern (8000ft/30 deg) What I've just described.
Mid Pattern(5000ft/20 deg)
Low Pattern (3000ft/10 deg) Might be better for Selenic in this campaign since the fight ends up at low altitude anyway.

Manual bombing is a little different and a lot more difficult.

We saw manual bombing pippers in the early campaign. This takes the form of a fixed pipper in the gunsight.

For bombing the pipper is depressed from the nose a certain number of mils, or milliradians. There are different mil settings for the three different bombing patterns I've described above. For manual bombing you fly the same pattern as CCIP but here's the kicker, there's no computer doing the calculations for you, you need to fly the aircraft to the correct release altitude, at the correct dive angle and airspeed for the pipper to be valid.

Let me reiterate: The manual bombing pipper, specific to the mil setting is only accurate for a certain dive angle, airspeed and release altitude.

This article explains it better, even though it's for SFP1: http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055a.html

The last thing is air to air gunnery with an LCOS or Lead Computing Optical Sight. These can be enhanced with a radar lock or not. Either way they are very useful.

Interesting anecdote: In Lomac/DCS, the F-15 LCOS gunsight, with a radar lock, not only solves for range, but also target aspect. This means that it doesn't just change the size of the pipper or the pipper's vertical location on the gunsight to solve for range, it physically moves the pipper to the place on the HUD where you'll get hits, even for snap shots. Literally all you have to do is put the pipper on the target, squeeze off a burst and you'll likely get a hit. Having never flown the F-15 I don't know if it's realistically that way or not but if you haven't tried DCS it's pretty fun and makes aerial gunnery stupid-easy.

This article goes into a fair bit of involved detail about air to air gunnery. For a discussion specific to LCOS, skip forward to page 10: http://www.simhq.com/_air9/air_269a.html
The whole article is excellent if you're new to sims or wanted to know the WHY of aerial gunnery.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 18:35 on Jun 11, 2014

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

SelenicMartian, what are the exact difficulty settings you use?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Kilonum posted:

SelenicMartian, what are the exact difficulty settings you use?
All of the sim settings on Hard, AI and campaign on Normal, supply on Limited.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

SelenicMartian posted:

All of the sim settings on Hard, AI and campaign on Normal, supply on Limited.

When I do that it makes the speed/altitude/heading info in the lower left disappear.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Kilonum posted:

When I do that it makes the speed/altitude/heading info in the lower left disappear.
Ah, I start every mission with hitting Alt+D to bring the HUD up.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I laughed when those Floggers nearly ran you over. Maybe they don't hear so good.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Triple A posted:

Hexes are a realistic representation of war, right? Right.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Shoeless posted:

Hexes are a realistic representation of war, right? Right.

It's only a couple 'a billion over budget and seven years late. But it's the most accurate, advanced and technical thing on the market! Why's nobody buying it?

Ow ow I just got beaten by natives with spears

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Are those things still randomly having their internal structure fracture and failing flight tests that were rigged to make them pass?

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.

Armadillo Tank posted:

Are those things still randomly having their internal structure fracture and failing flight tests that were rigged to make them pass?
I've heard a lot about the utter uselessness of the F-35, but that's a new one that I'd love to hear more about, because it sounds hilarious.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Armadillo Tank posted:

That almost seems like a thing LockMart would do by now honestly.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's only a couple 'a billion over budget and seven years late. But it's the most accurate, advanced and technical thing on the market! Why's nobody buying it?

Ow ow I just got beaten by natives with spears

Well, at least the sim/grognard games aren't usually that expensive. But that's about the size of it. Numbers on paper don't translate to a good product. Especially if your product has issues with internal heating of wires that causes the insulation to melt, releasing toxic fumes into the cockpit... While I've yet to see a flight sim or other niche micromanagement game that manages that, I'm sure that they'll work hard to find a way. For historical accuracy and realism, nothing's too good for their players!

Shoeless fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Jun 8, 2014

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

Shoeless posted:

Well, at least the sim/grognard games aren't usually that expensive. But that's about the size of it. Numbers on paper don't translate to a good product. Especially if your product has issues with internal heating of wires that causes the insulation to melt, releasing toxic fumes into the cockpit... While I've yet to see a flight sim or other niche micromanagement game that manages that, I'm sure that they'll work hard to find a way. For historical accuracy and realism, nothing's too good for their players!

Fatures new to version 1.0Xa: When flying the F35 game will overheat videocard/motherboard/etc to create toxic fumes that will kill the player IRL if they fly to long*

*Note: Time to die depends on room ventilation and size. Play game in a small poorly ventilated box for the best F35 experience.

I misspelled features, but when I saw what I wrote I decided to leave it uncorrected.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

Although was that poisoning the pilot more a thing that the F22 did instead of the F35?

I mean if you were going to do an accurate F35 simulator you would have to include attempting to do vertical landings had a chance of melting the runway strip underneath you and such.

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

F22 had a problem with air filters or something in their masks. It spat up black particles(i think it was from some manner of carbon based filter) that caused lung problems. I think it also randomly cut/deprived/put out to little oxygen?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Oh no what have I done. I have invited the f-35 discussion vampire into my home and now he wont leave.

In other news, I had been a little confused about why the flight paths for landing had those tight looking turns before aproch. I stumbled upon this video explaining why wide flight patterns are for chumps, and even though I know nothing about planes besides 'ooh go fast', I got a kick out of it. Dude's hillarious, even the MS paint visuals are funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6q2VKsvQEQ

edit: Oh man he just keeps putting more and more stripes on his shirt as the film goes on

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

Suspect Bucket posted:

Oh no what have I done. I have invited the f-35 discussion vampire into my home and now he wont leave.

In other news, I had been a little confused about why the flight paths for landing had those tight looking turns before aproch. I stumbled upon this video explaining why wide flight patterns are for chumps, and even though I know nothing about planes besides 'ooh go fast', I got a kick out of it. Dude's hillarious, even the MS paint visuals are funny.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6q2VKsvQEQ

edit: Oh man he just keeps putting more and more stripes on his shirt as the film goes on

and my FSX response to it last night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8teEIfWHO1A

EDIT: and to get this thread back on track to Strike Fighters 2, a dogfight I had about a year ago on the Operation Kadesh campaign (albeit with an easier difficulty level than SelenicMartian runs), Dassault Mystere vs MiG-15s, de Havilland Vampires and Gloster Meteors:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmy4A5a1vPA

Kilonum fucked around with this message at 04:55 on Jun 8, 2014

Africanus
Mar 13, 2007
The Barcid Slayer

Armadillo Tank posted:

F22 had a problem with air filters or something in their masks. It spat up black particles(i think it was from some manner of carbon based filter) that caused lung problems. I think it also randomly cut/deprived/put out to little oxygen?

The F-22 has a system called OBOGS, or On Board Oxygen Generator System. It takes engine bleed air, filters it and concentrates the oxygen in it and feeds it to the pilot. OBOGS is a marvelous system and works perfectly....EXCEPT when you put it on an aircraft that regularly flies around 50,000 feet. Who would have guessed that making oxygen from the thin air at higher altitudes would be a problem? It's more complicated than that and my critique is speculative but whatever.

OBOGS is standard on most modern combat aircraft, having replaced LOX(or Liquid OXygen) bottles as the standard means of generating breathable oxygen for the pilot. The Harrier has an OBOGS which almost never has issues but we generally fly lower.

Also a little about CCIP/Manual bombing etc:

CCIP or Constantly Computed Impact Point, is almost exactly as it describes itself.

Almost exactly?

Yes, ALMOST, the system isn't magic and has some limitations. Basically it uses your barometric altitude, airspeed, radar altimeter, pitot-static system, target or waypoint elevation etc. to place a spot on the ground where the selected ordnance is likely to fall if dropped right this instant. Considering the number of systems giving their input, there are quite a few variables that are constantly changing and the computer can't always keep up.

Another way to describe it is imagine a computer taking all this input and spitting out a solution(a pipper on the ground). If you fly in a straight line, at constant airspeed with your wings level the variables remain relatively stable, the calculations become simpler and your CCIP pipper remains relatively accurate. As you put more accelerations on the aircraft by say, diving in a turn with the power at the mil stop and accelerating, the amount of input to our poor computer increases and it begins struggling to keep up. As this continues your CCIP pipper becomes more and more inaccurate.

The most accurate way to employ CCIP:
-Spot your target several miles away(good luck, it's easier in real life, in sims it's ridiculous)
-Pick an altitude where you'll get AT LEAST a 30 degree dive angle on your bombing run. Try 8000ft to start.
-Fly offset from the target(IE not headings straight at it) so you can maintain visual contact until you roll in, otherwise it will disappear under the nose.
-Ensure your system is set up, ordnance and CCIP selected.
-When the target is approximately 30 degrees depressed from the horizon, overbank and pull your nose straight to the target or slightly above it(toward the horizon).
-Quickly roll wings level and place your flight path marker at 30 degrees nose low(if you have a pitch ladder this is easy, if not just place it on some piece of terrain a few degrees above the target and hold it there.
-If you need to make lateral adjustments, make them quickly and then return to wings level.
-As the CCIP pipper crosses the target(usually about 3000ft if you've done it right), pickle a bomb, pull up and initiate a climbing left turn back to 8000ft and extend away from the target at the reciprocal of your run in heading for another run. Check your hit and adjust for the next run. This works equally well fro forward firing ordnance(guns/rockets etc.)

The three patterns most used in training are:
High pattern (8000ft/30 deg) What I've just described.
Mid Pattern(5000ft/20 deg)
Low Pattern (3000ft/10 deg) Might be better for Selenic in this campaign since the fight ends up at low altitude anyway.

Manual bombing is a little different and a lot more difficult.

We saw manual bombing pippers in the early campaign. This takes the form of a fixed pipper in the gunsight.

For bombing the pipper is depressed from the nose a certain number of mils, or milliradians. There are different mil settings for the three different bombing patterns I've described above. For manual bombing you fly the same pattern as CCIP but here's the kicker, there's no computer doing the calculations for you, you need to fly the aircraft to the correct release altitude, at the correct dive angle and airspeed for the pipper to be valid.

Let me reiterate: The manual bombing pipper, specific to the mil setting is only accurate for a certain dive angle, airspeed and release altitude.

This article explains it better, even though it's for SFP1: http://www.simhq.com/_air/air_055a.html

The last thing is air to air gunnery with an LCOS or Lead Computing Optical Sight. These can be enhanced with a radar lock or not. Either way they are very useful.

Interesting anecdote: In Lomac/DCS, the F-15 LCOS gunsight, with a radar lock, not only solves for range, but also target aspect. This means that it doesn't just change the size of the pipper or the pipper's vertical location on the gunsight to solve for range, it physically moves the pipper to the place on the HUD where you'll get hits, even for snap shots. Literally all you have to do is put the pipper on the target, squeeze off a burst and you'll likely get a hit. Having never flown the F-15 I don't know if it's realistically that way or not but if you haven't tried DCS it's pretty fun and makes aerial gunnery stupid-easy.

This article goes into a fair bit of involved detail about air to air gunnery. For a discussion specific to LCOS, skip forward to page 10: http://www.simhq.com/_air9/air_269a.html
The whole article is excellent if you're new to sims or wanted to know the WHY of aerial gunnery.

Kilonum
Sep 30, 2002

SelenicMartian, I have added a link to this thread into the OP of the Flight Sim Megathread in games

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Africanus posted:

Awesome stuff

That's really interesting, thanks!

Since you're the guy in the know, could you help me figure out which part of the Harrier's pipper is meant to represent where the rounds will land? The little caret underneath the horizontal line keeps throwing me off, and it's been bugging me for a while now. I must know the secrets of an obscure flight simulator! :spergin:

Africanus
Mar 13, 2007
The Barcid Slayer

Soup Inspector posted:

That's really interesting, thanks!

Since you're the guy in the know, could you help me figure out which part of the Harrier's pipper is meant to represent where the rounds will land? The little caret underneath the horizontal line keeps throwing me off, and it's been bugging me for a while now. I must know the secrets of an obscure flight simulator! :spergin:

It should be the apex of the triangle, or rather, the center where all of those lines meet. I've never seen a pipper like that. Ours looks like a couple rings with a dot in it or a cross.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Africanus posted:

What exactly is going on? I'm figuring it's dogfight practice, prolly t-38's?. What's that funky line in the top middle of the HUD?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Suspect Bucket posted:

What exactly is going on? I'm figuring it's dogfight practice, prolly t-38's?. What's that funky line in the top middle of the HUD?

If you mean that funnel looking thing. That is a sight that when the lines are lined up perfectly with the wingtips of the plane selected, then your cannon rounds should hit it.

Basically it's better than a traditional fixed sight, but not as good as a radar pipper.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Africanus posted:

It should be the apex of the triangle, or rather, the center where all of those lines meet. I've never seen a pipper like that. Ours looks like a couple rings with a dot in it or a cross.

Oh, right. I figured as such, but since it seemed like no matter what Selenic tried it didn't result in accurate shots it really messed with my mind.

As for why it doesn't resemble your pipper, I'm guessing it's British aircraft design being peculiar and doing something quirky with the pipper just because.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S15E05: 1979.09.26-27 (Deutsche Welle)

We get reinforcements: four new pilots join the squadron. Too bad, we stopped killing them off.

What better way to send off the Harrier, than a CAS mission?

The mission video

In which our aim is crap

Really crap. In our defence, the tanks were moving and armoured. We're not used to that at all.

What better way to send off Germany, than with our favourite mission type?

The mission video

In which we unleash our rage

Snakeyes are lovely.

That's our final roster with the four new arrivals at the bottom, next to the corpse of Mickey Hogg who still shows up for roll calls.

And so Barbie retires and sets off to find her Pegasus sister, who accidentally got replaced during engine maintenance.

P.S. I recorded the footage for the first update of the Iceland campaign. This game has not run out of zany yet.

• Locked thread