Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

SelenicMartian posted:

The main problem is I can't hear the airbrakes being open. So I can spend a minute accelerating, and then realise I've burned a ton of fuel, because the brake was out all that time.
I was gonna say "Why not just look over to see if they're open", but while the Meteor might have a nice enough cockpit to do that, most jets won't, especially as that stuff starts shifting further and further towards the back of the plane as designers figure out how to make better jets. :downs:

By the way, I notice you love using padlock view and rarely use "freelooks" aside from fixed camera views. Does the game not have a button/mode where you can use the mouse to freely look around the cockpit (not that such a feature is too useful when you're using a stick and in the middle of a fight). I've always found padlock view really disorienting for keeping tabs on where my plane is facing, but I suppose that isn't as much of an issue when you're at a good altitude.

quote:

There's Nesher vs. Mirage 5 in the 70s Middle East. Same plane, basically.
As a big fan of them (and their parents), I love the origin behind Israel's Nesher and Kfir fighters, but I'll save that for later in case you want to mention it down the road.

quote:

They have cannons.
They're also a MUCH better turn fighter than the Mustang (a B&Z fighter in WWII), and you said the AI doesn't boom and zoom, it just turn fights. A Mustang trying to turn fight a Spitfire is a dead Mustang.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I was gonna say "Why not just look over to see if they're open"
I could also use the third-person camera to check, but I really don't like it.

I can use the mouse to look around. If I had a third hand I'd be using that all the time. I could bind the view to the POV hat on the stick, but that would make it even more awkward, like using arrow keys to look in an FPS.
The games support TrackIR, but my unit is at least 5 years old, and the room layout is far from perfect. When I plugged it in before starting the LP, it made my pilot headbutt and headbang at the same time. Had to ditch the idea of actually scanning the skies.

Nesher's origin story - yeah, that's something :jewish::ninja:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

I wish they'd do a MiG/Soviet expansion for this game, because hacking/modding in playable MiGs just doesn't cut it for some of the reasons you mentioned.

I mean, just the basic -15, -17, -19 and -21 would go a long way in making the other side playable in most of the campaigns. -23 and -29/Su-27 for later stuff and presto.

But seeing how they've spent around a decade and never gotten around to it (Mustangs and Spitfires are apparently more important), :saddowns:

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Galaga Galaxian posted:

They're also a MUCH better turn fighter than the Mustang (a B&Z fighter in WWII), and you said the AI doesn't boom and zoom, it just turn fights. A Mustang trying to turn fight a Spitfire is a dead Mustang.

This is kinda oversimplifying things. A Mustang was a good diver, with great acceleration and top speed (characteristics of a classic energy fighter), but once it burned the fuel in its central tanks it was alo quite agile. The general fuel strategy for a Mustang pilot was to use up at least half of the large fuel tank behind the pilot first, because the added weight so negatively affected the handling characteristics. Once that ballast was gone, it was quite nimble, especially so over 15,000ft. AGL. According to these accounts with Mustang aces, the most effective defensive maneuver was to simply out-turn a German pursuer, a strategy which would be suicidal in a true energy fighter like a P-47 or P-38.

In the case of a hypothetical engagement between a Mustang and a Spitfire, especially a late model with clipped wings, the real deciding factor would probably come down to starting altitude, fuel state, and training.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Oh, I wanted to mention that in the previous campaign. I don't think, the Mustang in SF2 drains its rear tank first. So, unless you lose some fuel at the loadout screen, you won't see it become nimble.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
What was that sound at about 9:40 that sounded like someone trying to blow their nose? Air rushing through something?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Glazius posted:

What was that sound at about 9:40 that sounded like someone trying to blow their nose? Air rushing through something?
Pilot grunting. Happens every time under g load.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S02E02: 1956.10.29 (Twists of F8)
Strike Fighters: Project 1 was released eleven years ago, on the 27th of October 2002. The initial release was a bad start, as what hit the shelves was still a beta. Still, the series took off somehow.

We're resupplied back to 6 planes. The ground counters blocking the enemy in the east have less than 10 tanks each, so they can get overrun rather quickly.
Our mission is to intercept a Meteor flight coming in to bomb a neighbouring airfield. Perhaps, they were the ones who hit us, too. I assemble the 3+ kill team.
Also, in SF2 the closer the target is, the more of a clusterfuck the waypoints are.

The mission video

In which our flight almost gets a double-digit kill count

2 planes lost, one decent pilot wounded. One AI pilot becomes an ace with 7 kills total :black101:

Lesson of the day: a few half-arsed bursts in the first seconds of the fight can backfire massively ten minutes later.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 22, 2014

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Grats on a pretty nice mission. I'm getting really tempted to pick up Strike Fighters, does Third Wire ever do major sales? The prices of each individual game/expansion are terrible ($25-30) but they're also pretty piecemeal. Too bad they're not on :steam:. If you were only to get one or two, which would you recommend? SF2: Israel+Expansion?

That said for the longest time I've had a huge hesitation to play Flight Sims again ever since I learned about the existence of TrackIR. The thing just seems so cool and useful. You do pretty well without it though (albeit with extensive (ab)use of the target button).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

The latest reference to a major SF2 sale I could find dates back to May 2012, and it ran for one day only. As for pick "one or two", I'll quote myself

SelenicMartian posted:

The base SF2 is rather empty. Vietnam is limited - you'll never see any ground war there. Europe and Israel are the best choices, because even without the expansions each has a ton of different flyable and enemy planes. Europe probably has the greatest variety: from Hunter to Harrier to F-15.
Israel + XP takes you from P-51D to F-16, but you'll see a lot of Mirage derivatives in between.
North Atlantic is an arse. The water is pretty, the F-14A is pretty, but the sea battles don't really work, and the ground war involves tanks driving up cliffs.

TrackIR is even more awesome if you try it in something like ArmA2. You can keep your gun aimed in one direction, while looking around for other threats.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S02E03: 1956.10.29 (Alarm!)

Previously we intercepted a strike flight coming for our neighbours. This time we get a scramble mission, because the bombers are heading for us.
Also, as you see, the front line is moving. Regardless of your successes in dogfights, the ground combat is what determines the course of a war. When we did CAS missions, we could directly affect the outcome of battles. Now we can only kill things, that may or may not attack our tanks or our CAS flights. "Fighter pilots make movies; attack pilots make history."

The mission video

In which we have extreme difficulties hitting slow targets flying in a straight line

I don't like this squadron's performance one bit. Well, I liked that one bit in the previous mission, but it seems to be a fluke.

Ace, huh.

:ughh:

P.S. I'll be switching to rapid progression mode now: 1 episode per 6-7 missions. The idea is to have two more episodes with the Meteor, and then get to the first vote.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 17:18 on Aug 22, 2014

Strabo
Feb 25, 2011
It's weird that all aircraft in this game seem to go down after taking only very few hits. But then again, I'm used to Il-2 Sturmovik, where all the planes are notoriously hard to kill.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Strabo posted:

It's weird that all aircraft in this game seem to go down after taking only very few hits. But then again, I'm used to Il-2 Sturmovik, where all the planes are notoriously hard to kill.
There was a bizarre accident in 1956, which demonstrated that flying into just four falling inert (no explosive charge) 20mm rounds can cost a jet the windshield and the engine. I'll get to it in more detail once we make it to Mach 1.

The really weird thing happened, when TW released WWI-themed First Eagles, that used the SF engine. In the early builds one 7.62mm bullet could break a wing off. That, and flak gunners had pinpoint accuracy, so unless you went under 200m they'd blast you with the first shot. The times were zany over the trenches, until the patches started rolling in.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Strabo posted:

I've found that a judicious burst from cannons in that sim kill roughly as quickly as they do in Strike Fighters, so I think you must be thinking of the more heavily armoured aircraft. The eponymous IL-2 takes forever to kill if you're restricted to machine guns, at least if my memory isn't failing me. To steer things more on topic, are there any aircraft in Strike Fighters 2 that just won't die?

SelenicMartian posted:

There was a bizarre accident in 1956, which demonstrated that flying into just four falling inert (no explosive charge) 20mm rounds can cost a jet the windshield and the engine. I'll get to it in more detail once we make it to Mach 1.

I'm looking forward to it; it sounds like one of the more interesting episodes in military aviation.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I didn't say using padlock a lot is a BAD thing. I do it too when I play flight sims. Its pretty useful when you don't have TrackIR or Oculus Rift.

Strabo
Feb 25, 2011

Soup Inspector posted:

I've found that a judicious burst from cannons in that sim kill roughly as quickly as they do in Strike Fighters, so I think you must be thinking of the more heavily armoured aircraft. The eponymous IL-2 takes forever to kill if you're restricted to machine guns, at least if my memory isn't failing me.
I think it has more to do with how much the rounds disperse in Il-2 and how much they don't in this game. I don't think you could pull off the long-range shots that SelenicMartian keeps doing in many other sims.
Another possibility is that he's just that good :downs:

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

SelenicMartian posted:

Was it the F-11 Tiger that managed to shoot itself down? :downs:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Pimpmust posted:

Was it the F-11 Tiger that managed to shoot itself down? :downs:
Oh, yeah. But no more about that until we get to F-100A, since I'll need to talk about something to avoid cussing at the plane.

The most horrifying thing in a Meteor is to get your four planes to the intercept area, only to see 16 Mysteres as bombers and 4 Meteors as cover. Then you shoot down one Mystere, and the rest say "I fart in your general direction", jettison their bombs and engage you as fighters. There won't be a video of that: it will happen again, and I'd rather watch this from something that is less outdated and more suited for running away.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

SelenicMartian posted:

I could also use the third-person camera to check, but I really don't like it.

I can use the mouse to look around. If I had a third hand I'd be using that all the time. I could bind the view to the POV hat on the stick, but that would make it even more awkward, like using arrow keys to look in an FPS.
The games support TrackIR, but my unit is at least 5 years old, and the room layout is far from perfect. When I plugged it in before starting the LP, it made my pilot headbutt and headbang at the same time. Had to ditch the idea of actually scanning the skies.

Nesher's origin story - yeah, that's something :jewish::ninja:

The game has snap views, so it's not like you'd have to thumb-stick a turret around.

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
I'm really enjoying the LP. If you want more pilot names, I'll mesh with your time-based shenanigans during the Mustang run and submit Jack "Goldfish" Harkness .

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S02E04: 1956.10.31 (Falling Stars)
Don't you love gun jams, mid air collisions, missing vital components, and dead stick landings? Spooky, right? :spooky:
So, here are six commented videos of various length and a somewhat escalating WTF factor.

A 1956.10.29

Israeli Meteors cross the waters to deliver us some free bombs. We negotiate for an early release and the termination of service, with all five planes at our disposal.

Going to town

Another 9-kill run. No losses. The squadron has a brand new ace pilot!

B 1956.10.30 05:59

Fighter Sweep over a battlefield is the closest a pure fighter gets to supporting ground war. We're not that pure, but for now it's the best chance we have. The front line is crawling closer.

Mopping up

Got promoted to Flying Officer, whatever that means.

One plane lost.

:ughh: :ughh:

However, another pilot got enough kills for ace status!

C 1956.10.30 11:20

The enemy is pushed back. We sweep again.

Kill reel

Not completely worthless, but I had to abort and go back before I got the "Mission complete" message.

Two planes lost...

:ughh: :ughh: :ughh:

D 1956.10.30 13:08

Another intercept, but squadron strength has dropped to 4. No aces remain, except for our hero. That doesn't bode well.

Kill reel

Three of our planes went down the drain. Not a single scratch on normal pilots, but Karim spends the rest of the day in the hospital. This ace thing isn't working out...

E 1956.10.31 05:51

Squadron strength is down to 3. CAP with two planes might work, if our wreckage burns brightly enough to warn about the enemies' approach.

Kill reel, extended

NA kills are the stuff of legends: "- Did you use guns? Missiles? - Naah!"

F 1956.10.31 Morning-ish.
I'm not sure, what lets Egypt attack now. Perhaps, we shot down so many pilots, the squadrons are empty and can't provide CAS.

Speaking of CAS, we get a close air support assignment. Taking both of our remaining planes is risky, so I'll just quickly do it alone.

The mission video (A mission video?)

In which I start to miss HVAR

No need for stats. Debrief mentioned 11 targets destroyed, but I only wrecked one. The tank crews called me in merely for some moral support.:argh:

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Aug 22, 2014

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010
Hey, give the tank guys some credit. Maybe they called you in to make the enemy think that they must have been really desperate, thereby making them overconfident?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SelenicMartian posted:

The tank crews called me in merely for some moral support.:argh:

They just like to have you on in the background making dry witty comments while they fight for their lives/play minecraft in another window

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

They called me in, because they made bets, either on how many minutes I can stay in the area, before I get shot down, or on how far I miss.

Schenck v. U.S.
Sep 8, 2010
This LP is neat from an alternate history perspective. I think Karim Ibrahan is already the greatest post-WWII ace by a substantial margin. He's probably a legend to Egyptians and a boogeyman to the IAF.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

S02E05: 1956.11.02 (The Other End)
I'll use small map-only shots for the skipped missions. Dat front line!

---

1956.10.31 12:27 - A solo sweep over a battlefield area. 2 Mustangs down, then I got the gently caress out, because Mysteres arrived.

---

1956.10.31 14:34 - A solo intercept - some idiot sent in two Mustangs with no cover. Got them both.
Promoted to Flight Lieutenant

---

1956.11.01 06:11 - A solo fighter sweep over a battle for Kuntilla. Another two Mustangs down.

Well, good for them, I guess. After Kuntilla our brave tanks spend the rest of the day trying to get a hold of Beersheva. :cheers: Seriously.

---

1956.11.01 10:05 - A strike against a strategically vital fuel(?) tank on an empty Beersheva airfield. Good mission: I just dive in, fire a burst and get out.

---

1956.11.01 11:40 - An even better mission, a recon flight. Not armed recon, just recon, i.e. you complete the objective by simply arriving at the waypoint. There are no cameras or whatever in SF2, which puts it a step below Sid Meier's F-19 Stealth Fighter. From 1989.

:clint: - What did you see there?
:downs: - I reckon, it's an airfield, and someone hit it with guns.
:clint: - How could you tell?
:downs: - A hunch. Something to do with the fact, that the airfield is in the exact same location, as the one I attacked a couple of hours ago.
:clint: - Oh...

No video, but I spotted something fresh

Both the Spitfire and the F-84F squadrons appeared only in November.

---

1956.11.01 14:03 - Another intercept, this time they sent two Mysteres with no cover. I took a 3-kill wingman with me in hope of some training, but in the end toasted both targets, before he got his aim straight.
That flight I also found the airbrake lever in the cockpit, and it's a huge red handle right under the throttle. As I suspected, it's impossible not be aware of its position, unless you deliberately try to.

Good news, the tower at the home base has been rebuilt!

---

1956.11.01 16:10 - The only reason I agreed to fly CAP was the proximity to home. I took the same pilot with me, then we ran into a couple of Mysteres...

Kill reel

Another KIA in the squadron. The title of this campaign should've been "Kiss your ace goodbye"

---
1956.11.02 08:03

A fighter sweep over an enemy base? I suppose, they want me to get rid of some fighters. Frankly, I'd rather just bomb it.

The mission video

In which ignoring orders is the only sane thing to do

The final roster. There could've been more casualties, if we had more planes to bury them in.

After a day of Kuntilla and Beersheva taking the enemy's second largest city is the only way for the party to get wilder. I'd love to post the campaign ending screen, but it's exactly the same as the one we got in the P-51 campaign. So, here's something I did in Paint in 10 minutes.

P.S. Bonus video, in which we experience an engine fire and GUI perils.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 17:21 on Aug 22, 2014

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

"It doesn't go that well. I am an idiot."

I died laughing.

Where is your accent from? I still can't place it.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Leif. posted:

Where is your accent from? I still can't place it.

I'm going to put the voting post up in about five hours. How long should it run to give anyone interested a chance to check in?

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester
If you want to give everyone a chance, at least 48 hours.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

:siren: VOTING POINT #1 :siren:
For the 1956 Red Tide campaign
A brief summary of options is provided in the supplied informational video.

Again, the winner will get a 5-episode season, while the losers will get one episode each.

You're choosing a plane to fight the Evil Soviet invasion! :france: :911: :britain:
Vote for one in BOLD: Mystère IV A, F-100A, or Hunter F.4.

I'll leave it open for about 48 hours. Maybe more - we'll see, if there's any competition.

-------------
RESULTS
pre:
Mystère ======
F-100   =======
Hunter  ============
The crowd chose the Hunter, partially because they like big guns, but mostly because it's so sexy.

This means, I'll be a tease, and show the Mystère and the F-100A first, assisted by the most fitting test pilot imaginable.

SelenicMartian fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Nov 3, 2013

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Voting :france: because I've loved French fighters (and French derived fighters :jewish:) since the Nieuport 11.

1956 is the introduction of the AIM-9B Sidewinder! However IIRC it didn't actually fly in combat till '58. That said this is alt-history, so can the Super Sabre carry them? If so I change my vote to :911: because there are better French jets in the future and I want everyone to see how amazing America's new weapon is.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

1956 is the introduction of the AIM-9B Sidewinder!
No Sidewinders this time. There is a squadron or two armed with them on this map, but I won't be introducing the guided missiles until the next campaign.

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

I'm going have to go for the... F-100A Super Sabre. :911:

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
I'm voting for the Hunter F.4: more cannons than the Mystère, more agile than the F-100A and equipped with a radar-ranging gunsight sounds like it will be fun to see in action. :britain:

VKing
Apr 22, 2008
Hunter F.4 :britain:

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I would vote the Hunter, but I want to see the BAC Lightning in action later, and I suspect when it goes up for voting everyone will just say "oh well, we already did a British fighter earlier."

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

I would vote the Hunter, but I want to see the BAC Lightning in action later, and I suspect when it goes up for voting everyone will just say "oh well, we already did a British fighter earlier."
Lightning has other perks aside from being British. It's British in heavy metal and punk sort of way.

Pimpmust
Oct 1, 2008

The early missiles are pretty garbage, so no loss there.

F-100A, Knight Sabre gotta fly man

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

I just love its potbelly and over-wing drop-tanks. :allears:

And "Red Top" is a cooler name for a missile than Sidewinder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SSJ Reeko
Nov 4, 2009
Mystère IV A

4 30mm cannons sounds fantastic, especially if it has enhanced accuracy.

• Locked thread