Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triple A
Jul 14, 2010

Your sword, sahib.
1. F-15, 2. Harrier GR.3, 3. F4F. Gotta check out what Luftwaffe is doing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ObMeiste
Oct 7, 2003

The Boss doesn't like you. Get out now or you'll have some real trouble.

1:A-10A
2:F-15A
3:Harrier GR.3

A great selection, I couldn't be happier with them :allears:

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

1. F-15A Eagle
2. A-10A Hog
3. Harrier GR.3

Stumbling Block
Nov 6, 2009
Why are we all thinking alike?

F-15A
A-10A
Harrier

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011
Thanks for letting us choose 3 planes for this vote: it's time to get ugly, dominate the skies and harry our foes.

A-10A
F-15A
Harrier GR.3

Patrocclesiastes
Apr 30, 2009

F-15, A-10, and Harrier GR.3

Awww yeah, I love Harriers, so useless.

Rogue Norwegian
Apr 6, 2011
F-15, A-10, Mirage

No offense to the harrier, but it has the same mission profile according to the first page sheet as the A-10. So I pick the other fighter with "Insane" difficulty that isn't an F-4.

StarFyter
Oct 10, 2012

I'll go with F-15, A-10 and Mirage as well.

And I suppose it is to be expected from Third Wire, that a major part of the design of A-10 isn't really any different to a regular gun... ah well, at least it carries a decent number of mavericks.

Stago Lego
Sep 3, 2011
A-10A
F-15A
Harrier GR.3

These are planes we haven't seen yet.

Behotti
Apr 30, 2008
Fun Shoe

Gothsheep posted:

No surprise here:

1:F-15A
2:A-10A
3:Harrier GR.3

I agree with this:
F-15A
A-10A
Harrier GR.3

Bip Roberts
Mar 29, 2005

Stumbling Block posted:

Why are we all thinking alike?

We have three brand new jets and all of them are interesting in their own ways. We've seen the other 4 before.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
F15, A-10, F4F

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Dusseldorf posted:

We have three brand new jets and all of them are interesting in their own ways. We've seen the other 4 before.

It's not too surprising. The F-15 is one of the finest combat aircraft ever made. The A-10 is the quintessential 'ground attack' aircraft, and the Harrier has a unique and interesting gimmick. Considering all the other choices also lack decent missile defense, and this campaign seems like it's all about trying not to get your rear end blown off by SAMs, the other choices don't seem that great in comparison.

Leif.
Mar 27, 2005

Son of the Defender
Formerly Diplomaticus/SWATJester

Dusseldorf posted:

F-15, A-10, and Harrier GR.3. I'm voting for nice things, nice toys and some spice, respectively.

This. I'm ready to move on from the planes we've been seeing, I'm curious to see how the A-10 handles this tank-saviour Jesus AA you're referring to, the F-15 is something everyone salivates over and I've never figured out why (maybe because I grew up in love with the F-16) so I'd like to hear SelenicMartian's thoughts as well as the inevitable infodump from someone; and finally the Harrier GR.3 because they are my favorite gimmick in Wargame: ALB.

-e- I do hope there is a runners up video with the Lightning or Mirage though, just for a comedy option.

brozozo
Apr 27, 2007

Conclusion: Dinosaurs.
A-10A
F-15A
Harrier GR.3

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

F-4M, A-10A, GR.3

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

I actually wrote that yeeeeears ago for my Fallout LP. You will not be remembered, Smith.

A-10, f-15, Harrier

Armadillo Tank
Mar 26, 2010

A10, F15, harrier

Everyone else is say this to. Just want to make sure we don't get a random lighting or something.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

RESULTS
pre:
F-4M          =
Lightning F.6 =
F-15A         ====================
Mirage 5BA    ==
A-10A         ====================
Harrier GR.3  =================
F-4F          ==
Everyone loves the new toys. Ok, the plan is:
The F-15, then the Lightning and the F-4M shorts, then the A-10, then the F-4F and the Mirage shorts, and then we die on a Harrier.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
Is it bad that I'm finding myself more excited by the prospect of the Harrier than the A-10? I had expected the opposite to be true.

Then again I have consumed a fair amount of Falklands War related content semi-recently (yes I know it was the Sea Harrier in that case), so perhaps that's to blame. :v:

Not to knock the A-10, though - it's :black101: in perhaps its purest aerodynamic form. I wonder if Third Wire bothered to record unique engine sounds for the A-10?

Cooked Auto
Aug 4, 2007

If you will not serve in combat, you will serve on the firing line!

Soup Inspector posted:

Not to knock the A-10, though - it's :black101: in perhaps its purest aerodynamic form. I wonder if Third Wire bothered to record unique engine sounds for the A-10?

It's Third Wire we are talking about here so probably not.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Season 13. Red Lightning - An Office On the Top Floor (F-15A Eagle)

The previous German campaigns were tied to historical events. This one offers a spontaneous combustion.

S13E01: 1979.09.26-27 (Flyswatter)

Some tanks are coming. We're to decimate their air support, using...

A2A upgrades all around, but, when it comes to A2G, the Eagle is a simple bomber.

Our Gorillas with some free kills

The mission video

In which the enemy is rapidly running out of planes

Estes scores 6 kills in one mission :black101:

The ground war is stopped for the day, but I still fly.

The mission video

In which we see their final form

Two missions in, and we have three aces, including our hero.

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Was there any real advantage in real life to using the radar in RWS mode as opposed to Track while scan? I know from playing Flaming Cliffs that TWS slows down your scan pattern, but the TWS mode (at least for the F-15) didn't really lose locks more because of reduced radar power. Was that more of a factor in real life?

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Mostly the quicker scan pattern and increased range. In a BVR combat world finding and tracking a target well outside its effective engagement range is a huge advantage.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
We have chosen wisely, it seems. I'm not surprised that the F-15 has thus far proved to be murderously effective - wasn't its remit to be an air superiority aircraft?

Triggerhappypilot posted:

Was there any real advantage in real life to using the radar in RWS mode as opposed to Track while scan? I know from playing Flaming Cliffs that TWS slows down your scan pattern, but the TWS mode (at least for the F-15) didn't really lose locks more because of reduced radar power. Was that more of a factor in real life?

Admittedly I'm extrapolating from the Falcon 4.0 Allied Force manual (so I might be hilariously wrong), but RWS apparently makes the radar less likely to lose a target than in TWS. Another factor in RWS's favour is that it's very flexible. TWS might also be a little more inaccurate than RWS due to approximating data between pings.

Hope that helps! :spergin:

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Ha, I guessed right on the Flogger question! I feel like such a smarty pants. As for another dumb thing made of steel, wasn't the super scary Mig-25 made of zipties and pig iron?

Makrond
Aug 8, 2009

Now that I have all the animes, I can finally
become Emperor of Japan!
Range While Scan mode also doesn't interrogate IFF receivers like TWS mode. This literally means nothing in Strike Fighters 2, however.

VVV: Oh, I must not have noticed. I don't fly the F-15 much because that's what DCS is for :v:

Makrond fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 5, 2014

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Makrond posted:

This literally means nothing in Strike Fighters 2, however.
I'll keep trying to get friendly and enemy contacts on the screen, because they do get different markers in SF2.

Africanus
Mar 13, 2007
The Barcid Slayer

SelenicMartian posted:

I'll keep trying to get friendly and enemy contacts on the screen, because they do get different markers in SF2.

The Eagle turns better if you go to max AB and get your nose down to maintain corner airspeed, its a heavy aircraft, yes, but the advantages are readily apparent from your videos in that it carries a ridiculous payload while carrying extra fuel and hauling rear end.

If you use your excess altitude to increase your turn performance and get to the deck before the enemy you'll gain angles on him. even if threat aircraft have better turn performance it just means their aircraft are more forgiving of BFM errors, the AI is kind of stupid and it doesn't look like they utilize energy properly.

One thing you didn't mention about the F-15 is that it was one of the first aircraft to have a digital flight control system which is probably transparent to the game. Landing anything with digital flight control is anything but difficult compared to what pilots would have flown in training.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Suspect Bucket posted:

Ha, I guessed right on the Flogger question! I feel like such a smarty pants. As for another dumb thing made of steel, wasn't the super scary Mig-25 made of zipties and pig iron?

I believe so! And just like the Flogger, the West initially thought it was made of titanium.

As for the "eight-ball of death", am I right in thinking it's the SA-8 Gecko?

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

F-15As with ground weapons? What happened to "Not a pound of air to ground"? :v:

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Christ, those missiles! :stare: You weren't kidding about the new toys.

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Soup Inspector posted:

I believe so! And just like the Flogger, the West initially thought it was made of titanium.

Ah, the days when we thought the Soviets had a GDP 6 times what it actually was.

VKing
Apr 22, 2008

Galaga Galaxian posted:

F-15As with ground weapons? What happened to "Not a pound of air to ground"? :v:
I thought that was weird. I mean I knew it had rudimentary CCIP, at least, but I don't think they had the avionics necessary for dropping LGBs. (Well, guiding LGBs, at least).

RWS and TWS :eng101::
(Range While Search and Track While Scan)

As others have mentioned, there are different advantages to both.
TWS acquires contacts much slower because it has to track the target for several sweeps in order to calculate it's vector and build a "track file" on it before it's displayed on the screen. In some radars (didn't notice if SF2 did it or not), TWS shows regular RWS blips until the track file has the vector data for the contact.

Once the track file for the contact is in the system the radar updates its vector with every sweep, but in between sweeps the speed and vector is extrapolated from the target's earlier motion. So if the target makes a very sudden movement just after it's been swept, the track will either suddenly be in a completely different place and aspect on the scope, or the track will be lost completely and a new one created for the "new" target.

Where TWS really shines, though, is with AMRAAMs and other active-seeker AAMs.
(Are AMRAAMs a thing in this game? If so I'll wait with doing a :spergin: post on the subject.)

As for the RWS vs TWS debate, being an avid Falcon BMS player, I can tell you that in that game I use RWS much much more often than I use TWS. RWS is faster, shows more contacts, and has a wider field of view (technically TWS can have the same FoV, but only while searching). Though it helps that, in Falcon, RWS shows rate of closure on all the blips, so that sortof get some of the vector information in that mode as well.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

VKing posted:

Are AMRAAMs a thing in this game?
The furthest we get is the Phoenix. And yes, you can lock onto multiple contacts flying the F-14.

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Third Wire happened, presumably.

wiegieman posted:

Ah, the days when we thought the Soviets had a GDP 6 times what it actually was.

It's always amusing seeing what Western intelligence agencies were going :supaburn: about and comparing it to the reality of the aircraft in question. It was a simpler, more innocent time.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Yes, the Cold War: a simpler, more innocent time in which militaries and intelligence agencies never manipulated information for cynical purposes, and did not have ulterior motives in steering defense appropriations.

Arglebargle III fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Apr 6, 2014

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013
That's the joke. Admittedly not a very funny joke, but a joke nonetheless. Sorry! :(

Anyway, I forgot to mention this earlier but I'm semi-surprised that the Fishbed is such a long lived design. Is there any particular reason for that?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Soup Inspector posted:

Is there any particular reason for that?
I keep running into claims, that a Fishbed was cheaper to make than this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Casualty
Sep 29, 2006
Security Clearance: Pop Secret

Whiny baby

Soup Inspector posted:

That's the joke. Admittedly not a very funny joke, but a joke nonetheless. Sorry! :(

Anyway, I forgot to mention this earlier but I'm semi-surprised that the Fishbed is such a long lived design. Is there any particular reason for that?

The Fishbed is the Kalashnikov of fighter jets. Rugged, cheap, simple to maintain and easy to use. It's also proven very receptive to engine and avionic upgrades over time. Better systems have come and gone but the MiG-21 will fill the inventories of third-world air forces for as long as airframes and spare parts exist. You don't need an exceptionally good fighter to deploy rocket pods onto militias or shoot down the occasional helicopter, and if some western power comes in and clowns your entire air force in an afternoon, at least they're easily replaced!

• Locked thread