Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Thanks for such a comprehensive LP.

...hate to keep asking questions like this, but what was with that purple instrument panel on the night mission? Just an effect of the filter, or did the plane really look like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

Glazius posted:

Thanks for such a comprehensive LP.

...hate to keep asking questions like this, but what was with that purple instrument panel on the night mission? Just an effect of the filter, or did the plane really look like that?

If I'm interpreting the question correctly, the odd colour was a result of the cockpit lighting (red).

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

Glazius posted:

but what was with that purple instrument panel on the night mission?
Some orange magical ambient glow keeps the grey pit slightly illuminated.

Night doesn't really work in this game. Day-only planes spawn at night, the AI sees at night perfectly, the cockpits don't have and don't support any night lights on the instruments, the carriers stay dark, the EO seekers work in the dark. Castlevania 2 had more impact from the time of day, than SF2.
What a terrible night to fly a CAS.

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

While we're still waiting for archives Third Wire went full bananas https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thirdwire.star_vector :psylon:

Soup Inspector
Jun 5, 2013

SelenicMartian posted:

While we're still waiting for archives Third Wire went full bananas https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.thirdwire.star_vector :psylon:

Never change, Third Wire. :allears: It's a bit like watching an adorable three legged puppy trying to catch a ball or frisbee.

HerpicleOmnicron5
May 31, 2013

How did this smug dummkopf ever make general?

It's their X-Com Interceptor expertise coming through.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

SelenicMartian posted:

Aww, it's not bad. Bit of mindless turney fun. Pew pew lasers!

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

Also, I think the "overweight missile delivery gadget with a bitchin' radar" was a great doctrinal choice and I think it only died because the Navy never actually needed to use it for anything. If there had been a hot war the Tomcat would have been a zillion times better flying CAP over a carrier group than anything before or since. How else are you going to shoot down Russian naval bombers armed with cruise missiles before they reach launch range?

Finally catching up on the thread. I realize this was a while ago, but I wanted to ask- don't cruise missiles have really long range? And naval ships don't seem like they're anywhere near as maneuverable as a fighter, or even a tank, making them easy (comparatively) targets. Would that not allow the theoretical bombers to launch their payloads before the Tomcats could engage/get in range with their Sparrows/Phoenixes?

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Shoeless posted:

Finally catching up on the thread. I realize this was a while ago, but I wanted to ask- don't cruise missiles have really long range? And naval ships don't seem like they're anywhere near as maneuverable as a fighter, or even a tank, making them easy (comparatively) targets. Would that not allow the theoretical bombers to launch their payloads before the Tomcats could engage/get in range with their Sparrows/Phoenixes?

I think they deal with this in the real world by having carriers set up Combat Air Patrols around carrier groups, so they have the Tomcats already in the air and providing a buffer zone for the ships. No matter how long the range of the missile is, you can't hit a target you can't see, so they create a bubble where the enemy has no radar coverage to pinpoint the exact location of the targets, and then engage anything trying to get in close.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

I think they deal with this in the real world by having carriers set up Combat Air Patrols around carrier groups, so they have the Tomcats already in the air and providing a buffer zone for the ships. No matter how long the range of the missile is, you can't hit a target you can't see, so they create a bubble where the enemy has no radar coverage to pinpoint the exact location of the targets, and then engage anything trying to get in close.

But... you can hit targets you can't see. Is that not the entire point of beyond visual range combat? Or do you mean 'see' including radar/sonar/etc? Could not an enemy attack flight include an EWACS aircraft specifically to give more detailed, longer range radar confirmation of target to the other aircraft?

Or even better, simply launch a satellite with advanced sensors into space to defeat the capitalist pigdog's Star Wars program and use that. And then when you need to, you can just decommission it and let it fall on an enemy tank military base to boot!

Ahem, sorry, been playing Red Alert 3.

Gothsheep
Apr 22, 2010

Shoeless posted:

But... you can hit targets you can't see. Is that not the entire point of beyond visual range combat? Or do you mean 'see' including radar/sonar/etc? Could not an enemy attack flight include an EWACS aircraft specifically to give more detailed, longer range radar confirmation of target to the other aircraft?

By 'see' in this context I mean 'have accurate information about the location of.'

EDIT: As far as using modern satellites to target, now you're getting into the fun questions of modern military budgets!

"Hey, new technology means our carrier groups are vulnerable. Maybe we should develop a new system that can intercept cruise incoming cruise missiles."

"Or we could take that billion dollars and invest it in schools instead."

"But if there's a war, all our carriers could be sunk."

"And if there's not, all our children can get good educations."

Being a military superpower kind of sucks. Being allied with them is way better. Then you can spend most of your budget on civil projects and let the superpowers worry about the big military spendings.

Gothsheep fucked around with this message at 05:50 on Sep 19, 2014

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Shoeless posted:

That's why the Tomcat has to fly out there and intercept them even with a 100 mile missile range.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

Gothsheep posted:

By 'see' in this context I mean 'have accurate information about the location of.'

EDIT: As far as using modern satellites to target, now you're getting into the fun questions of modern military budgets!

"Hey, new technology means our carrier groups are vulnerable. Maybe we should develop a new system that can intercept cruise incoming cruise missiles."

"Or we could take that billion dollars and invest it in schools instead."

"But if there's a war, all our carriers could be sunk."

"And if there's not, all our children can get good educations."

Being a military superpower kind of sucks. Being allied with them is way better. Then you can spend most of your budget on civil projects and let the superpowers worry about the big military spendings.

Could we not do a thing where our friends provide aid/teachers for schools so that we benefit from their budget priorities in a similar way to how they benefit from ours? Symbiosis is fun!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crigit
Sep 6, 2011

I'll show you my naval if you show me yours.
Let's get naut'y.

Shoeless posted:

Could we not do a thing where our friends provide aid/teachers for schools so that we benefit from their budget priorities in a similar way to how they benefit from ours? Symbiosis is fun!

In a country less xenophobic than America, maybe. As it stands accepting help of that kind would force us to admit that we might not be the best at everything forever :911:

Edit: Not in this lifetime option- The rest of NATO could actually meet their military spending obligations to take some of the pressure off us.

Crigit fucked around with this message at 20:31 on Sep 19, 2014

• Locked thread