Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.

Bill Decker posted:

The Simon the Sorcerer Origins developers have managed to get Chris Barrie back to voice Simon again: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=88mR2bEUUyk

I was on the fence about a prequel happening but this has swung it for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I played a couple hours of Harold Halibut this evening. The visuals are truly incredible. I'm really enjoying it so far. It plays exactly liked I'd assumed from the trailer -- low interactivity, few puzzles, and primarily narrative. While, I prefer more puzzley, interactive games, I'm certainly not going to fault the game for it here.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

Played and finished The Excavation of Hob's Barrow recently and really enjoyed it. For a game that leans pretty heavy into crafting a narrative and an atmosphere, I think the puzzle difficulty felt just about right. The only thing that stumped me for a while was the horse because I overlooked that the sugar cubes on the table in the The Plough & Furrow were interactable. I could see the apple puzzle being a bit of a sticking point I suppose, but in my playthrough I'd kind of lucked into all the necessary pieces just because as a veteran adventure game player I pick up everything not nailed down and combine stuff pretty frequently. I loved the deliberate grotesqueness of some of the art, particularly Herbert the cat, and the little moments of uncomfortable weirdness like the vicar throwing up and demanding to be bled, or Arthur staring into the forest completely unresponsive, and just the general burgeoning sense that something is wrong. I saw a few people on the Steam discussion forums (yes, yes, I know...) really disliked the ending, which seems weird to me because the game wears its inspirations on its sleeve pretty drat hard and the ending being what it is feels very much in line with both the rest of the game and the horror genre it's drawing from.

All in all, a very good time and an easy recommend.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I don't know what the specific complaint about the ending is on the Steam discussion forums, but mine is that she continued on even though she knew she was being set up. Like even a line saying that she needed to do it for her dad would have been something, but willfully ignoring the poo poo she's been told without comment just seemed a bit sloppy.

I liked where it went, but question how it got there.

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't know what the specific complaint about the ending is on the Steam discussion forums, but mine is that she continued on even though she knew she was being set up. Like even a line saying that she needed to do it for her dad would have been something, but willfully ignoring the poo poo she's been told without comment just seemed a bit sloppy.

I liked where it went, but question how it got there.

If you're talking about the conversation with Arthur in the alley, we see the flashback that she's being explicitly set up, but I don't think that Arthur actually manages to tell her that because they get interrupted by Panswyck who threatens him off and she doesn't acknowledge/respond to the contents of that flashback at all.

That said by the time of the day of the excavation, my read was that that Thomasina is pretty much already under Abraxas' influence at that point. Saxnot mentions that Abraxas has an inexorable corrupting influence, and Thomasina has been experiencing repeated psychic dreams about the barrow since arriving in Bewley. I think by the time she actually enters it, the outcome is already a foregone conclusion.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
Hey there! As I've recently played through the rerelease of Blade Runner on Steam, I've regained the itch for a classic investigation/adventure games. I've been out of the loop for a long time, however the main thing I remember from the classic P&Cs is that so many of them involved focusing on pixel-hunting for tiny items and backtracking endlessly, due to finding key #42 which unlocks a door near the start, giving you safe combination #12 towards the end, which has a false back revealing a secret compartment that also has a false back (requiring a walkthrough to notice) which contains the handle to a broken lever in some other section of the game, etc. etc.

SO! What I'm wondering is, are there any suggestions for either modern adventure games, or classics that hold up/are playable? (Preferably on Steam, to make things easy) Ideally something that involves talking/investigating something, but I'm open to other recommendations too. I've played LA Noire already of course, which although it doesn't fall into this category exactly, it does scratch a similar itch to Blade Runner - seeing as it's about finding/examining evidence, talking to people, etc. Apologies if this is already covered BTW - I didn't see Blade Runner in one of the OP's categories, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask

bee
Dec 17, 2008

Do you often sing or whistle just for fun?
The first Gabriel Knight was really good, with interesting characters and a plot that pulls you into the game.

boofhead
Feb 18, 2021

You could also check out:

Beyond a Steel Sky
The Blackwell series
Call of the Sea
The Darkside Detective
The longest journey / dreamfall series
The Monkey Island series
Gemini Rue
The Journey Down series
Kathy Rain
Lacuna
Sam & Max series
Shardlight
Technobabylon
Unavowed

e: oh i didnt realise the OP was so comprehensive, my bad. a lot of (maybe all?) of those games will already be listed there, so i guess just consider them as +1's from me, who hates pixel hunting and inconceivable adventure game logic. if i get stuck for too long or start getting bored i just whip out a walkthrough til i reach a point i feel like i have new ideas for how to proceed

boofhead fucked around with this message at 08:25 on Apr 22, 2024

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

Hey there! As I've recently played through the rerelease of Blade Runner on Steam, I've regained the itch for a classic investigation/adventure games. I've been out of the loop for a long time, however the main thing I remember from the classic P&Cs is that so many of them involved focusing on pixel-hunting for tiny items and backtracking endlessly, due to finding key #42 which unlocks a door near the start, giving you safe combination #12 towards the end, which has a false back revealing a secret compartment that also has a false back (requiring a walkthrough to notice) which contains the handle to a broken lever in some other section of the game, etc. etc.

SO! What I'm wondering is, are there any suggestions for either modern adventure games, or classics that hold up/are playable? (Preferably on Steam, to make things easy) Ideally something that involves talking/investigating something, but I'm open to other recommendations too. I've played LA Noire already of course, which although it doesn't fall into this category exactly, it does scratch a similar itch to Blade Runner - seeing as it's about finding/examining evidence, talking to people, etc. Apologies if this is already covered BTW - I didn't see Blade Runner in one of the OP's categories, so I figured it couldn't hurt to ask

PENTIMENT!

PENTIMENT!

PENTIMENT!

A Space For The Unbound

Whispers in The West

Detective Grimoire and Tangle Tower

Make It Good

Blacksad

The Painscreek Killings and Scene Investigators

Knee Deep

Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective

Between Horizons

Paradise Killer

Lucifer Within Us

Sherlock Holmes: Crimes and Punishments

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
I need to get back into Pentiment, it seems quite vast though and I don't know if my middle aged attention span can handle it.

Are the Frog Detective games worth a punt?

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011
I've taken a look at a bunch of your suggestions all, and they look great so far - thanks for that! (Also, no worries boofhead - I had no idea where to start looking in there anyway, so thanks! :D )

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

keep punching joe posted:

Are the Frog Detective games worth a punt?

The first one was very quick and childishly easy, but so hilarious I bought the other two as well, though I haven't played them yet.

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Major Isoor posted:

I've taken a look at a bunch of your suggestions all, and they look great so far - thanks for that! (Also, no worries boofhead - I had no idea where to start looking in there anyway, so thanks! :D )

There's also the Mystery games thread:
https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=4030786

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

oooh, good call! Thanks - I can't say I've seen that thread until now

Mode 7
Jul 28, 2007

fez_machine posted:

PENTIMENT!

PENTIMENT!

PENTIMENT!

PENTIMENT

(many good suggestions here but yeah, play Pentiment, Major!]

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.
^^
Pentiment kicks rear end.

Mode 7 posted:

Played and finished The Excavation of Hob's Barrow recently and really enjoyed it.

One of my favorite recent Wadjets, and I think maybe the best voice cast they've had on any of their games (which is generally pretty good). I loved the graphics, the eerie atmosphere, and the puzzles were generally just right (I was less into the end game puzzles, but they were fine enough).

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.
Two other 'investigative' adventure games I really enjoyed are "Whispers of a Machine" and "Unforeseen Incidents".

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Kashwashwa posted:

Two other 'investigative' adventure games I really enjoyed are "Whispers of a Machine" and "Unforeseen Incidents".

Whispers of a Machine is okay, but as an investigative game it accidentally gives away what its ending's structure will be by the first big plot beat. It's not a BAD game, but I wouldn't quite recommend it if they're looking to sink their teeth into an evolving mystery to tackle.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Clouseau posted:

One of my favorite recent Wadjets, and I think maybe the best voice cast they've had on any of their games (which is generally pretty good). I loved the graphics, the eerie atmosphere, and the puzzles were generally just right (I was less into the end game puzzles, but they were fine enough).

My only quibble about Hob's Barrow is that the song partway through sounds like modern acoustic indie rock and not much like the sort of British folk music which would have suited the atmosphere way better and would have been way less anachronistic.

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

Any soundfont opinions here? I'm about to re-play Monkey Island 2 for the 10,000th time and just want it to sound as good as possible

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joe Chill
Mar 21, 2013

"What's this dance called?"

"'Radioactive Flesh.' It's the latest - and the last!"

Nobody Interesting posted:

Any soundfont opinions here? I'm about to re-play Monkey Island 2 for the 10,000th time and just want it to sound as good as possible

You're better off playing the remastered version if you want better music. The original MI2 only supported FM or MT32. You can force general midi with Scummvm or Dosbox and use a soundfont but it might sound wonky.