Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Same with Idris Elba who played one of the most beloved American gangsters on prestige television yet his natural voice is the final boss in a hooligan brawl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chev
Jul 19, 2010
Switchblade Switcharoo
Also if you natively speak french, german, italian or spanish and have heard Christopher Lee speak your language nearly perfectly, you know that kind of shenanigan isn't limited to accents.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

cant cook creole bream posted:

"American accents only"
While that makes sense for this specific line of work, voice acting and maybe regular acting might be the only place that language flies anymore. Maybe call centers.

Just to be clear, I like those guys and don't take offense from that, it just reads weird. Like one of those help wanted signs with "No Irish need apply!" on it. But I guess if every person in the story is a natural born American with a white bloodline, that stipulation makes sense.

They didn't say anything about whites.

You're reading a lot into a non issue.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

They didn't say anything about whites.

You're reading a lot into a non issue.

Yeah no kidding. I'm gonna record something this weekend and send it in, I'm pretty decent at voices, love Gilbert's work, and I live in NYC so it'd be pretty easy, were I picked.

Also I'm not white. Not even remotely.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

cant cook creole bream posted:

"American accents only"
While that makes sense for this specific line of work, voice acting and maybe regular acting might be the only place that language flies anymore. Maybe call centers.

Just to be clear, I like those guys and don't take offense from that, it just reads weird. Like one of those help wanted signs with "No Irish need apply!" on it. But I guess if every person in the story is a natural born American with a white bloodline, that stipulation makes sense.

I hate to beat the point but couldn't you just change your accent if you are already a voice actor with presumably any range?

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Also speaking from experience with this sort of thing, if you don't specify that you're looking for actors who can do American accents, you will get a deluge of unusable demos from non-native speakers. Even if you say "American accents only" it's likely you'll still get a lot of those, and a fair amount of auditionees who are incorrectly convinced they can do a spot-on American accent. But when you're a fairly small studio, you kind of need to do anything you can to not spend weeks sifting through open audition demos.

And yeah, it's certainly possible for anyone to do an American accent, but it's easy to underestimate the time you have to put into practice/training to convincingly do a non-native accent. As people have pointed out, plenty of actors pull it off exceptionally well, like Hugh Laurie as House, or Hugh Jackman as any number of characters (I'm sure there are still a lot of people who don't know he's Australian). But if you're not a professional actor it's a lot harder to put in that time. If you're the only non-native voice actor in a cast of, say, a dozen Americans, you'd need to be pretty spot-on in your delivery or you'd stick out like a sore thumb. A lot of people who are new to acting in accents not their own tend to focus solely on pronunciation and vowel formation in particular, but to sell an accent you also really need to have a handle on cadence, pitch variance, inflection, those sorts of thing too.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

MockingQuantum posted:

... plenty of actors pull it off exceptionally well, like Hugh Laurie as House...

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Uhhhhhhhhhhhh.....

Well enough for uncritical American audiences, though he does slip pretty frequently, especially when singing.

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather
Fair points.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

MockingQuantum posted:

Well enough for uncritical American audiences, though he does slip pretty frequently, especially when singing.

Especially in Avenue 5 too, was all over the place there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Strom Cuzewon posted:

Especially in Avenue 5 too, was all over the place there.

That's not really fair considering his American voice being fake was a big part of his character.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...

MockingQuantum posted:

I either didn't know or forgot about it, but when it was pointed out to me that Hugh Laurie was British and doing an American accent, it occurred to me how the inflection in some of his deliveries don't sound quite right.

I am sort of curious as to whether or not he's done a Southern accent, since Brits tend to pull off Southern pretty well.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Looking for some good horror adventures for the spoopy time of year. Some stuff I have previously enjoyed:

- The Last Door, both seasons, though I think season 2 ended up tying things up a bit too neatly. Season 1 was excellent.

- Liked the Cat Lady, had issues with the other two parts of that trilogy.

- Phantasmagoria 1 and 2 I found enjoyable at the cheesier end of the spectrum.

- Gabriel Knight series I liked but I thought each entry had strengths and weaknesses. (The best possible Gabriel Knight game would include the audacious backstory of 3, the emotional resonance and tight plotting of 2, and the deep, intricate conversations, fleshed-out characterisation and evocative sense of place of 1, with puzzle design as good as Le Serpente Rouge in 3. The worst possible one would have the clumsy treatment of racially charged subject matter of 1, the crappy maze section and chickening-out of depicting LGBT+ content of 2, and the clunky control system of 3, with puzzle design based largely on the cat-moustache puzzle from 3.)

- Yahtzee's Trilby stuff I thought was very good.

- Call of Cthulhu: Shadow of the Comet and Prisoner of Ice I thought were both cute but flawed. Shadow I thought was better than Prisoner, but Shadow is a mixture of Very Bad and A Bit Good rather than ever being excellent.

- Scratches lost me at the end but I liked the early parts of it. Dark Fall and Barrow Hill I thought were pretty awful.

- Liked the first season of The Walking Dead, never started the second season and based on posts here I think they would have bugged the poo poo out of me. (In particular, AIUI Clementine's the protagonist now, and I feel like making her the character you control completely subverts the point of the first season; it'd be much more effective if she were an NPC whose behaviour is heavily dependent on your interactions with her in the first season.)

- I thought the Black Mirror trilogy was OK.

- I got bored by Still Life and gave up three quarters of the way in.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Warthur posted:

- Liked the first season of The Walking Dead, never started the second season and based on posts here I think they would have bugged the poo poo out of me. (In particular, AIUI Clementine's the protagonist now, and I feel like making her the character you control completely subverts the point of the first season; it'd be much more effective if she were an NPC whose behaviour is heavily dependent on your interactions with her in the first season.)

Season 3 actually does that with an older (mid to late teens) Clementine. The bugger problem with 2 is how silly it gets to justify Clementine making the decisions.

Have you played Fran Bow?

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

Season 3 actually does that with an older (mid to late teens) Clementine. The bugger problem with 2 is how silly it gets to justify Clementine making the decisions.
Do they do a decent job of actually depicting what the world would be like over a decade after a zombie apocalypse, or is everyone just Dawn of the Deading it around like the zombie apocalypse started a month ago or something?

quote:

Have you played Fran Bow?
No, though based on what I have heard of it I am not sure it's necessarily where my headspace is at right now. Despite liking the Cat Lady, at the moment I am less in the mood for stuff which will offer me an Important Observation About Mental Health so much as I am in the mood for something which will primarily scare the poo poo out of me, and if there's deeper themes then cool but there doesn't need to be. (If it's less deliberately worthy than the blurbs and reviews I've seen make it out to be that's great.)

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

Warthur posted:

Do they do a decent job of actually depicting what the world would be like over a decade after a zombie apocalypse, or is everyone just Dawn of the Deading it around like the zombie apocalypse started a month ago or something?

Sadly more the latter but a big part of season 4 is establishing a stable community.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Try World of Horror, the Rusty Lake games, Sanitarium, Amnesia, I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

Fun Shoe
Penumbra as well if you go that route.

Not much tops Penumbra and Amnesia (Dark Descent NOT machine for pigs) for just plain "oh poo poo" moments.

Also along those lines Alien: Isolation is great.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Mokinokaro posted:

Penumbra as well if you go that route.

Not much tops Penumbra and Amnesia (Dark Descent NOT machine for pigs) for just plain "oh poo poo" moments.

Also along those lines Alien: Isolation is great.
Enjoyed those a lot, even Machine For Pigs (though in retrospect I enjoyed the latter more for the dawning realisation of what the protagonist had actually done than for the gameplay). Will look into Alien: Isolation/Sanitarium/Rusty Lake etc.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
The Blackwell series and Unavowed have horror elements. And they are excellent adventure games.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
There's also stuff like Until Dawn (PS4) and The Dark Pictures Anthology: Man of Medan (PC). The second one in that Anthology (Little Hope) should be out late October.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Submitted my demo thing to the Wadjet Eye email. They totally suck, only time I could find this weekend without either my nanny sitting in the room or my child shrieking and making noise was tonight after she and my wife were asleep, so I had to half-whisper most of it and therefore couldn't even bother attempting one character, since he'd need a loud boomy voice.

Oh well, we'll see!

EDIT: Or not. Just got a bounceback email that their inbox is full. What a rip! :smith:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 06:15 on Oct 5, 2020

The Joe Man
Apr 7, 2007

Flirting With Apathetic Waitresses Since 1984

Fuzz posted:

Submitted my demo thing to the Wadjet Eye email. They totally suck, only time I could find this weekend without either my nanny sitting in the room or my child shrieking and making noise was tonight after she and my wife were asleep, so I had to half-whisper most of it and therefore couldn't even bother attempting one character, since he'd need a loud boomy voice.

Oh well, we'll see!

EDIT: Or not. Just got a bounceback email that their inbox is full. What a rip! :smith:
Wish I had been clued into the open auditions earlier, crap.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
https://twitter.com/WadjetEyeGames/status/1313076902199001091

https://twitter.com/WadjetEyeGames/status/1313083004391219200

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

Warthur posted:

Looking for some good horror adventures for the spoopy time of year. Some stuff I have previously enjoyed:
SOMA is great, one of my favorite horror games in general from the past several years. Same devs that did Amnesia: Dark Descent. Maybe not an adventure game traditionally, but if Alien: Isolation is being recommended here too, it definitely falls in that category.

There are a bunch more recommendations in the Horror thread to shamelessly plug that: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3648165

And that reminds me another one that was brought up there recently was What Remains of Edith Finch. A first person narrative game with some really good, creative storytelling. Pretty light horror and more mystery.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

The The Room games are not very spooky but they have great atmosphere and some nice creeping dread the further you get into each game. Will always recommend that series, it's terrific.

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

I've heard good things about Lakeview Cabin Collection, and it apparently has adventure game elements. Its currently on my backlog and I should play it at some point.

RightClickSaveAs
Mar 1, 2001

Tiny animals under glass... Smaller than sand...

IShallRiseAgain posted:

I've heard good things about Lakeview Cabin Collection, and it apparently has adventure game elements. Its currently on my backlog and I should play it at some point.
These are really fun but more like sandbox games in a lot of ways. The biggest adventure game parts are trying to figure out what you're supposed to do and in what sequence of events, and there's a lot of trial and error. I didn't get far in any of them but enjoyed them for an hour or so.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I'm kinda excited for the LSL game coming out next week. I guess I liked the new one enough or something.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

There's a new LSL?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here

John F Bennett posted:

There's a new LSL?

2 of them. 2nd comes out next week.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
There's also apparently a prequel coming for Syberia, in 2021.

I didn't play Syberia 3 yet, but a prequel makes way more sense to me.

It is up for pre-order has a page on Steam and has released a playable free prologue part.
https://store.steampowered.com/app/1410640/Syberia_The_World_Before/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZSe7gptFEGI

Edit: Pre-orders are not open yet.

AbstractNapper fucked around with this message at 17:39 on Oct 9, 2020

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Didn't play it either, but wasn't Syberia 3 a pretty big departure from the storyline of the first two games, too? Seemed like a very tenuous connection, outside of the same player character and general setting.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

New Syberia is a prequel I believe.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Waltzing Along posted:

2 of them. 2nd comes out next week.

Am I just following the wrong feeds or were they not promoted much?

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Dunno. I either saw it advertised on Steam or on adventuregamers.com. The first one, I mean. Well, the second, too.

Mr.Radar
Nov 5, 2005

You guys aren't going to believe this, but that guy is our games teacher.
In case you've missed it, Dave Gilbert of Wadjet Eye has been doing dev streams of his new game Old Skies on his Twitch channel. Here's a highlight he recently posted on his Youtube showing the original prototype he made for a game jam in Unity (the final game will be in AGS again):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4jYJSNbcPE

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

Didn't play it either, but wasn't Syberia 3 a pretty big departure from the storyline of the first two games, too? Seemed like a very tenuous connection, outside of the same player character and general setting.

I think it's both a prequel and a sequel.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

This week's episode of the podcast How Did This Get Played is on Maniac Mansion. Might interest the posters here:

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/maniac-mansion-with-kelly-nugent/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Chairman Capone posted:

This week's episode of the podcast How Did This Get Played is on Maniac Mansion. Might interest the posters here:

https://www.earwolf.com/episode/maniac-mansion-with-kelly-nugent/

Oh thanks, will give that a listen! :tipshat: