Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

OneSizeFitsAll
Sep 13, 2010

Du bist mein Sofa
I skiped Deponia in the end based on the opinions in this thread. I've so much to play it wasn't that hard a decision.

I'm now playing King's Quest 2005. Still on the first, free chapter and having fun - the humour is decent and the game, while sometimes looking like the textures could be upgraded a bit, does generally look pretty beautiful, with some great art direction.

It's annoying that you can't skip repeated dialogue/cut scenes. I can't think why this function would not be included in a game. I'd also have preferred point and click controls to the WASD system they put in. Can't really see what this adds, and indeed if you're going back and forth between places trying to work stuff out, WASD makes it more onerous, especially compared to games which allow you to double click on a screen exit to immediately load the next screen.

Still, I'm having fun with it so far.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I have started on The Longest Journey, having found a way to wrangle it to work nicely. (Needed to use ScummVM to make it start, and Sizer to set the window at a nice size without horribly stretching out the graphics because TLJ doesn't cooperate nicely with ScummVM's graphic modes.) Not far in but am impressed so far - the writing is remarkably better than what much of the rest of the field was doing and the characters seem to have more depth to them than was typical in the era.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Warthur posted:

I have started on The Longest Journey, having found a way to wrangle it to work nicely. (Needed to use ScummVM to make it start, and Sizer to set the window at a nice size without horribly stretching out the graphics because TLJ doesn't cooperate nicely with ScummVM's graphic modes.) Not far in but am impressed so far - the writing is remarkably better than what much of the rest of the field was doing and the characters seem to have more depth to them than was typical in the era.

Yeah, TLJ was a hallmark of its era for a reason. There's a couple of very moon logic puzzles, but it's great. The voice acting especially. I honestly get the people who got twisted up in it (and were a little disappointed by Dreamfall Chapters).

moosferatu
Jan 29, 2020
I'm going through boxes at my parents and found a copy of Prima's Official Strategy Guide for Grim Fandango

[Edit] Oh wow, and The King's Quest Companion Third Edition. And all of my old video game manuals. Those were the days...

moosferatu fucked around with this message at 01:05 on Nov 25, 2022

Kashwashwa
Jul 11, 2006
You'll do fine no matter what. That's my motto.

Warthur posted:

This is also a good option to playing TLJ on modern systems.

https://tljhd.github.io/

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

https://twitter.com/SamAndMax/status/1595927911843840000

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Sam's mom has some serious tattoos.

Max brought in his extended family, including Elinor's dad from PBS Elinor Wonders Why.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Saoshyant posted:

Sam's mom has some serious tattoos.

Max brought in his extended family, including Elinor's dad from PBS Elinor Wonders Why.
That’s Sam’s grandma. She was featured in the Christmas episode of the show.

AbstractNapper
Jun 5, 2011

I can help
That dog on the right should NOT eat those chocolate cookies in his/her plate.

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

davidspackage posted:

Are there some shining examples of text adventures people can recommend? I haven't played many, and the ones I've played, I didn't get far in - the Lurking Horror, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. I remember playing one where you'd have a little guy with you who'd be doing stuff, but I can't recall the name. Like:

You are standing in the central square. There's a market full of people.
There is a box here.
Dennis* scratches his back.

*it wasn't Dennis, but some generic name, like Dave, or Kevin.

That sounds a lot like Jacaranda Jim by Graham Cluley. The name of your companion is Alan.

Probably the first text adventure I ever played, I loved it. The programmer made one other text adventure called Humbug, which is even better. Both have big worlds to explore, lots of life in them. Freely available online.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

John F Bennett posted:

That sounds a lot like Jacaranda Jim by Graham Cluley. The name of your companion is Alan.

Probably the first text adventure I ever played, I loved it. The programmer made one other text adventure called Humbug, which is even better. Both have big worlds to explore, lots of life in them. Freely available online.

Oh cool, I think that's it! The intro reads as very monkeycheese, but I look forward to giving it another go. Thanks!

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

AbstractNapper posted:

That dog on the right should NOT eat those chocolate cookies in his/her plate.

It's Oreos, they feature no chocolate whatsoever. Much like American "cheese", there's very little to none cheese in there.

Casimir Radon posted:

That’s Sam’s grandma. She was featured in the Christmas episode of the show.

Also, I misremembered this from whatever decade I watched those from. It's been... a while.

busalover
Sep 12, 2020
Finally got around to buying Disco Elysium. I thought it would be a point-and-click with leftist attitudes. Not sure what this is. Feels like the best written Infocom game with pictures. Haven't even left the first area, and already feel like I read a small novel. Also that first dialogue with the woman made me feel uncomfortable, but ten minutes later I was a feminist? Ok.

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
yeah there's a bunch of tips to give to someone who comes in fresh to Disco Elysium, but the main one is probably "hope you like reading lol"

check the DE Thread when you have the time, the OP has some useful advice for the early game, and folks there always love new players reporting their blow-by-blow impressions

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I was going to talk about how you might want to know a bit more about the general nature of the Disco Elysium world but then I remembered that you're supposed to have total amnesia anyway

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Isn't it fully voiced now?

Gorilla Radio
May 10, 2007
On behalf of the Serbs, we're very sorry for the Hillary Clinton sniper incident. Next time, we'll aim better.
Started Syberia 1. Beautiful pre-rendered backgrounds.

Lots of hotpoints that result in a "I don't want to go down there". Do these points ever become relevant or are they red herrings?

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
Just an FYI. If you're planning on playing the Broken Sword series you're better off getting them from GOG rather than from Steam.

I've just completed a playthrough of Broken Sword: Angel Of Death and its an unoptimised mess. The performance was laggy from the beginning and got worse as the game went on. By the end the game slowed to a snails pace with desynched cutscenes and also suffering with audio clipping.

I was told to try the GOG version and it works like a charm. It's also been patched and optimised to work with newer systems.

This isn't the first game that I've played that is absolute dogshit to run on Steam but fine everywhere else.

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Normally I don't make aesthetic criticisms in other peoples' homes, but that rug looks like a beaver exploded. If meat is murder, then that rug is at least a severe beating.
I've recorded the intro video using the same settings on both games. The GOG version is first, the Steam version starts at the 3:33 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GYob82a-EK4

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Looked into Adventures of the Black Hawk, a retro Lucasarts-style game currently fundraising on Kickstarter, and immediately decided not to back it because the English language text on the Kickstarter page is on the level of a bad machine translation.

Sure, getting a proper translation is labour up front and probably not free... But the same is true of any other part of your Kickstarter pitch. And if you are going to half-rear end the English-language promotional material, why should I trust that you will whole-rear end the English in the game itself?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Here's some fun stuff, poking around through the old Secret of Monkey Island source material:

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1598083793218568195

https://gamehistory.org/monkeyisland/

Rocket Baby Dolls
Mar 3, 2006

Captain Hygiene posted:

Here's some fun stuff, poking around through the old Secret of Monkey Island source material:

https://twitter.com/frankcifaldi/status/1598083793218568195

https://gamehistory.org/monkeyisland/

This was very interesting to read. Thank you for sharing!

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Has there been any word at all about the remaster for TTG's season 3 of Sam and Max?

Nobody Interesting
Mar 29, 2013

One way, dead end... Street signs are such fitting metaphors for the human condition.

RBA Starblade posted:

Has there been any word at all about the remaster for TTG's season 3 of Sam and Max?

Not beyond the fact that it has been announced. Timeline of the previous two remasters would imply we'll hear about it in the next few weeks.

Fumblemouse
Mar 21, 2013

STANDARD
DEVIANT
Grimey Drawer
Had a very good time with a couple of games recently, one old, one new, and I suspect for pretty much the same reasons.

Aura: Fate of Ages I really wasn't expecting much from. I've been revisiting early Myst-likes and had a bad experience with Schizm: Mysterious Journey (tedious math puzzles...so much backtracking) so was super wary about this one, but it turned out to be a delight. Self contained ages, nicely pitched puzzles. I did have to look up a walkthrough at one point because I was certain I'd done everything, and sure enough, I merely hadn't looked down in the right spot to find an item. I was never a great fan of node based, scrolling fishbowl 'panarama' screens as they just make pixel hunting even more of a chore, but in this case, to be fair, once I actually looked in the right place the object was pretty darned obvious. The cut scene acting was phenomenally bad, possibly some of the worst I've ever seen, but that just gave it a kind of '90s charm (I was around in the nineties, everybody talked in a really stilted fashion, cf Beverly Hills 90210, so this was totes authentical). The pixelly graphics and rendered scenes were of the moment, but did gel in an environmental sense, becoming much more immersive than the attempts at plot exposition, and having a very neat rube-goldbergian sense to their various machines.

Call of the Sea is a much more modern 3d offering, but a similarly smooth experience to play, with 6 self contained chapters and puzzles that were pleasingly logical and just on the side of unconvoluted enough that you probably wouldn't need notepaper. With the possible exception of a 'hidden object' per chapter (thankfully not required for any puzzlesolving, merely for teh cheevo fans) it just kept getting more interesting plot and environment-wise. Although billed as 'lovecraftian', the immediate plot was a) able to guessed by anyone who had ever heard of a lovecraft story and b) as scary as pudding - but it wasn't really trying for a horror vibe at all. As the plot developed it became clear this wasn't going to the same well as most Lovecraft type stories would, focussing on character rather than alienation. The main protagonist was very well voice-acted and, without spoiling things, conveyed well the surprising joy she felt at certain events - not a sentence you would expect to use to describe something in the Cthulhoid genre. Also - graphically quite lovely, but simply stylised a la World'o'Warcraft so I suspect it would run OK on less than capable 3d cards.

Both games used the handy dandy notebook approach to record-keeping, scribbling in notes and diagrams so you don't have to. While purists might complain about this being tanatamount to spoilers, knowing what was relevent enough to be noted gave a certain focus that kept the puzzle solving on track, and stopped excessing faffing about with the irrelevant. This did make the playtimes perhaps a little on the short side, but with both games it was puzzle-based enjoyment all the way.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Why did no one tell me a new game from the makers of The Cat Lady was released today? Burnhouse Lane

Chubby Henparty
Aug 13, 2007

Started up a few games on a plane trip: The Terrible Old Man really works as a bite size adventure, it would be cool if there was a constant stream of well made ten-minute experiences.

Blood Nova is a neat Snatcher/Manhunter? first person thing, they've got the Blood Music aesthetic thing down well.

The Hand Of Glory feels like a Spanish counterpart to Romania's Gibbous with detectives maybe getting into cthulhu, except the main vibe I'm getting from this game is the devs are Capital G Creepy Gamers. Feels like Gibbous had to do the weird derail about why ladies (and cats) are people too, to distance itself from the pretty-but-icky Euro trend.

Personal Rocket seems good, I've got as far as assembling a working pc from old ones scattered around the house while having paranoid delusions, which I'm sure we can all relate to.

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Blood Nova I played the demo of and quite liked, but I haven't gotten the full version yet.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

Slowly progressing through The Longest Journey.

Are there more puzzles as ridiculous as the inflatable duck/clamp/clothesline/key puzzle? That was some cat-moustache level nonsense and it seemed totally tonally inappropriate for what the game is going for.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Warthur posted:

Slowly progressing through The Longest Journey.

Are there more puzzles as ridiculous as the inflatable duck/clamp/clothesline/key puzzle? That was some cat-moustache level nonsense and it seemed totally tonally inappropriate for what the game is going for.

That's the worst puzzle in the game. I think it can even lock you from progressing if you do things out of order, but I dunno if patches fixed that.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
I played through Maniac Mansion (the VGA version) for the first time in ages. Hell, I don't know if I ever finished it before, the ending wasn't familiar at all. It's such a... weird game. It sticks out as something that obviously lays the groundwork for all of the further LucasArts games that follow and pretty much adventure games as a whole eventually but it's also a really unique beast that doesn't really seem like anything that followed. It's such a cool game with a neat as hell style. I just love the look of Green Tentacle's room, for example:

The really clean way the world is divided up into rooms is really pleasant too. It makes it so much easier to navigate versus the Sierra stuff of the era. The puzzles are pretty hard though. A lot of them are pretty nonsensical, as standard of the time, but there's a logic to them, mostly, I guess. There's a lot of trial-and-error involved if you play it blind. Lots of places where you can get trapped and a bunch of walking dead states, which sucks for modern playthroughs. It still has a lot of charm regardless though, and it's pretty easy to tell why it struck a chord back in 1987.

EDIT: changed a part about a puzzle that didn't exist because I'm an idiot.

FrumpleOrz fucked around with this message at 02:32 on Dec 4, 2022

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

FrumpleOrz posted:

I played through Maniac Mansion (the VGA version) for the first time in ages. Hell, I don't know if I ever finished it before, the ending wasn't familiar at all. It's such a... weird game. It sticks out as something that obviously lays the groundwork for all of the further LucasArts games that follow and pretty much adventure games as a whole eventually but it's also a really unique beast that doesn't really seem like anything that followed. It's such a cool game with a neat as hell style. I just love the look of Green Tentacle's room, for example:

The really clean way the world is divided up into rooms is really pleasant too. It makes it so much easier to navigate versus the Sierra stuff of the era. The puzzles are pretty hard though. A lot of them are pretty nonsensical, as standard of the time, but there's a logic to them, mostly, I guess. There's a lot of trial-and-error involved if you play it blind. Lots of places where you can get trapped and a bunch of walking dead states, which sucks for modern playthroughs. I still don't really understand why the jar of water in the microwave turns the nickel into a quarter in that package, for example. It still has a lot of charm regardless though, and it's pretty easy to tell why it struck a chord back in 1987.

I played MM first on the NES and it's so watered down in style from the PC version. I think they even censored some things (but oddly still let you put the hamster in the microwave). Even so I was a nut for Maniac Mansion and had the poster of the house that came in Nintendo Power up on my wall for ages.

Duderclese
Aug 30, 2003
I'm the gay younger brother of UnkleBoB and Buddha Stalin

FrumpleOrz posted:

The really clean way the world is divided up into rooms is really pleasant too. It makes it so much easier to navigate versus the Sierra stuff of the era. The puzzles are pretty hard though. A lot of them are pretty nonsensical, as standard of the time, but there's a logic to them, mostly, I guess. There's a lot of trial-and-error involved if you play it blind. Lots of places where you can get trapped and a bunch of walking dead states, which sucks for modern playthroughs. I still don't really understand why the jar of water in the microwave turns the nickel into a quarter in that package, for example. It still has a lot of charm regardless though, and it's pretty easy to tell why it struck a chord back in 1987.

I'd be super interested if anyone is aware why the nickel turns into a quarter.

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.

Duderclese posted:

I'd be super interested if anyone is aware why the nickel turns into a quarter.

You know what? I think I misremembered that part. I opened the package early and thought the item that came out was a nickel but it must be a quarter. I think I'm just dumb. The steam from the water being heated just opens the package so it can be reused.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

I gave Maniac Mansion a bit of a try a year or so back, and decided it wasn't for me. I could definitely see that charm, but it was tough for me to get into, especially constantly worrying about falling into unwinnable situations. So, I can appreciate it as an early precursor to the design philosophy of the classic LucasArts era, but actually playing through didn't end up being my thing.

zzMisc
Jun 26, 2002

I give MM a playthrough every once in a while and I'm curious - what can you actually do to make that game unwinnable? The kids can die but you really have to go out of your way to make that happen, and other than that I'm not aware of any way to lock yourself out of finishing it, but I could be forgetting something.

Unlike, say, Zak McKracken, where throwing your useless items into a fire to clean out your inventory makes your game unwinnable for the dumbest reason and with no indication.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

zzMisc posted:

I give MM a playthrough every once in a while and I'm curious - what can you actually do to make that game unwinnable? The kids can die but you really have to go out of your way to make that happen, and other than that I'm not aware of any way to lock yourself out of finishing it, but I could be forgetting something.

Unlike, say, Zak McKracken, where throwing your useless items into a fire to clean out your inventory makes your game unwinnable for the dumbest reason and with no indication.

I believe there's one combination where it's actually basically impossible to beat the game. I can't remember which pairing it is, specifically, I just remember it involved Jeff.

bobservo
Jul 24, 2003

zzMisc posted:

I give MM a playthrough every once in a while and I'm curious - what can you actually do to make that game unwinnable?

You can easily destroy/misuse a handful of essential items that can put you into a fail state.

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Fuzz posted:

I believe there's one combination where it's actually basically impossible to beat the game. I can't remember which pairing it is, specifically, I just remember it involved Jeff.

Nah, you can beat the game with any combination. The big secret is that the unique skills the kids have are all just different ways to get past purple tentacle; everyone except Dave and Jeff have a different way of going about it, but since you have 3 kids it doesn't really matter who you pick. Now, you can easily run into problems if you get a kid killed before you use their special skill, but honestly if you get a kid killed you probably should've reloaded anyways. IIRC Bernard also has a unique problem where he needs somebody else to actually confront the tentacles because he's too scared to do it, but again, that's only a problem if you start killing kids.

Overall I feel like most of the unwinnable states in Maniac Mansion are pretty immediately obvious that you messed up. They're stuff like, you messed up developing the photo, or didn't grab the big obvious package you got a cutscene for, or made a character angry because you bothered them too many times with false alarms. The subtlest ones probably being like, running out of money, or messing up the envelope.

Arzaac fucked around with this message at 10:15 on Dec 4, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I only ever played Maniac Mansion from within Day of the Tentacle