Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Want some adventure games? 'Course you do!

This thread is for all things adventure. Past, present, and future.

Adventure games have been around about as long as video and computer games have. Dating back to the 1970s with titles such as Adventure, and Zork, adventure games are one of the oldest and most persistent genres out there. Despite having been declared dead a dozen times over, they're still alive and kicking today with new titles large and small being created.

In fact, some might say now's the best time to get into adventure games since the 90s. Telltale Games has been pushing an excellent crop of them out there with the Sam & Max, Tales of Monkey Island, and a little game called The Walking Dead that you might have heard of.

What makes adventure games special? They’re more about making you think and feel rather than gauging reflexes. They’re about exploring new worlds, learning new things, and solving mysteries.

Adventure games have also found a whole new market thanks to Kickstarter. Popular adventure game Kickstarters thus far have been Broken Age (from Tim Schafer), Thimbleweed Park (from Ron Gilbert), Dreamfall Chapters: The Longest Journey (from Ragnar Tørnquist), Tesla Effect: A Tex Murphy Adventure (from Chris Jones), and Broken Sword: The Serpent's Curse (from Charles Cecil.) All of which have come out to great reviews!

Good news! There's an awful lot out there to pick from. It depends on whether you want to start with the classics or jump right in with the newer stuff.

If you want the classics, then there's basically 2 companies to start with: Sierra and Lucasarts.

Sierra
Sierra was one of the early players in adventure games and pumped out a lot of good poo poo before dieing out. They had an obsession with putting "Quest" in their titles. Their games were known for having some extremely challenging and unforgiving puzzles. Be warned that you can render the game unwinnable and not realize it for several hours.
Highlights include:
King's Quest series
Quest For Glory series
Gabriel Knight series

Lucasarts
Lucasarts hit their heyday in the late 80s and early 90s. They were known for being more forgiving than Sierra titles, and tended to have more engaging characters.
Highlights include:
Monkey Island series
Sam & Max Hit The Road
Loom
Grim Fandango
Day of the Tentacle

Other Classics
There are others from this era that weren't from the big 2 companies but are easily worth a playthrough.
Recommended titles are:
Myst series
The Longest Journey / Dreamfall
Tex Murphy series
The Journeyman Project series
Broken Sword series
Zork series
The Last Express
Toonstruck
Beneath A Steel Sky
Humongous Entertainment games

Modern Adventures - PC
As I said before, adventure games are back! These are games made in the last decade that come highly recommended.
Much like the classic wave, there are a couple of go-to companies that are steadily producing adventures. These include:

Telltale Games
Sam & Max series
Tales of the Borderlands
Strong Bad’s Cool Game for Attractive People
The Walking Dead
The Wolf Among Us

Wadjet Eye Games
Blackwell series
Primordia
Technobabylon
Resonance
Shardlight
Unavowed

Other Popular Modern Adventures
Broken Age
Time Gentlemen, Please!
The Witness
Firewatch
Thimbleweed Park
Book of Unwritten Tales
Oxenfree
Her Story
Ether One
Kentucky Route Zero
Life Is Strange
The Dream Machine
The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
The Talos Principle
Fran Bow
Dropsy

Modern Adventures - Console/Mobile
Adventure games aren’t just for PCs any more! In addition to finding ports of classic titles for consoles and mobile devices, you’ll also find some great original titles!
Some examples:
Until Dawn (PS4)
Phoenix Wright series (DS, 3DS, iOS)
Professor Layton series (DS, 3DS)
Journey (PS3 & PS4)
Ghost Trick: Phantom Detective (DS, iOS)
The Room series (iOS, Android, PC)
DEVICE 6 (iOS)
80 Days (iOS, Android, PC)
Everybody's Gone To The Rapture (PS4, PC)

Other suggestions are welcome!

I have some older adventure games but they don't work on my new PC! How can I make these work?

It's a puzzle! Don't you play adventure games? OK, fine, here's a hint guide.
The most common solution is ScummVM which acts as a sort of wrapper to allow older games to work with newer systems. ScummVM works on Windows, Linux, Mac OS, Android, among others. To see if the game you're thinking about is compatible, check here.
DOSbox is also a common tool, however it's less intuitive and user-friendly than ScummVM.
If you are buying classic titles from sites such as GOG or Steam, then you shouldn't have to worry about this. The compatibility work should already be done for you!

macnbc fucked around with this message at 13:12 on Sep 25, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

epmode posted:

God I love adventure games. HOWEVER! I feel like this thread is incomplete without a recommendation for Sierra's best adventure series, Quest for Glory. (..well, it's either that or Space Quest)

Unlike most of the other games in this thread, Quest for Glory has this adventure/RPG hybrid thing going on that's unique to this day.

Added to OP!

And hybrids are OK I think. I know some people don't consider Heavy Rain or LA Noire adventure games, but they're "close enough" in my book.

Edit: To bring over some news from the old thread now that it's locked off; Cyan (makers of Myst, Riven, and their best work Cosmic Osmo) is planning a Kickstarter. It could launch as early as next month.

It's apparently a sci-fi adventure game that is a new IP rather than another Myst title, but aims to be sort of the spiritual successor stylistically. Everything else they're being cryptic about.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Oct 4, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Thanks for the suggestions everyone! OP has been updated with the bulk of them. I'm thinking I might try and convert the icons over to links to each game's store pages on GOG and Steam, but that might become a character limit issue, so we'll see.

Veotax posted:

Has there been any more word about when The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime GOG release is coming out? Last I heard, there was some problem with developmen but they haven't updated their Facebook page since June.

I have a line with one of the ex-Presto guys on Facebook and spoke with him about it about a month ago. Latest is that the person heading up the ScummVM work on it hasn't had a lot of time to work on it lately because of life stuff. As it stands right now the port as it was on Mac OS is complete, but they're still working on it to bring in features from the unreleased Playstation version of the game. (Like interactive cinematics and such.)

So no timetable at the moment, but worst case scenario is that it can be released as-is.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Awesome Welles posted:

:stare: Oh my god I had no idea this was a thing that was actually happening. Who or what is still left over from Presto Studios, anyway? I guess they still have the source code and rights to everything or did that have to get ironed out?

Presto pretty much exists only as a business entity at this point. They don't have an office and their only "employee" is their CEO who is working on other businesses.
They do retain source code and other assets in storage and IP rights to their original stuff like Journeyman, which is how 2 and 3 ended up on GOG. Honestly because they chose to close on their own terms rather than be bought out by some conglomerate, the legal status of their library is a lot simpler and straightforward than others from that era.

They provided the source code for Pegasus Prime (the JMP1 remake) to some ScummVM developers, including the unreleased PSX version and a DVD version that had higher resolution FMV. This is what they're trying to incorporate into the rerelease now.

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

ScummVM should probably be mentioned in the OP really.

I might consider this but I'm really trying to focus the OP on games and where to find them rather than tools for the games. If there's a lot of interest in this however I'll throw something together.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Oct 4, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

You can't even play most of the good adventure games without SCUMMVM. Leaving it out of the OP means newbies to the thread won't even know that the old stuff is still playable.

True if you have the original versions, but wouldn't most newbies be getting the games from GOG or Steam, where that legwork ought to be done already?

Edit: For the sake of argument I've gone ahead and added a small bit about ScummVM and DOSBox to the OP. I'll make a pretty graphic for it later. Beneath A Steel Sky also added to game list.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 4, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Whew. OP is now updated with working GOG and Steam links for all available product pages. In cases where an entire series is mentioned, I've linked to GOG playlists or Steam bundle packs listing all of them.

choobs posted:

Anybody else here use the Universal Hint System back in the day? I found it back in the early 90s as a shareware DOS program, before I even knew about Adventure Games. I think I was looking for strategies for Dune 2, the game that proved to me I was terrible at strategy games and should never play them.

Then I bought Full Throttle and got stuck as hell. My parents actually let me call the 1-900-STAR-WARS hint line once (at that god drat water tower) but I got stuck again later and found the Windows Version online. It was kind of perfect for me. I'm real quick to get frustrated when I get stuck on a puzzle and having subtle hints to point me in the right direction without having the whole puzzle spoiled was pretty much perfect for me. New game additions started slowing to a crawl in the late 2000s, to the point now that only a few games have been added since 2011, and most of them seem to be done by an obsessive Nancy Drew fan. It's really too bad, I could definitely use subtle hints for the Wadjet Eye games or the Deponia games instead of having to read a full walkthrough.

Man, talk about a first world problem....

UHS is still around and is still pretty great when you just need a push. And man, hint lines. The only time I ever used one was on Buried In Time, when I called Presto for help with a puzzle near the end. They were pretty cool about it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Boardroom Jimmy posted:

That game really deserves much more love than it gets. Al Lowe is known for Leisure Suit Larry but Freddy Pharkas was easily his funniest game. It's a shame that it's really hard to find these days. It also had one of the best copy protections of any adventure game. The Sierra list is really incomplete without it.

Added to OP.

Also after giving it a bit of thought I removed Phantasmagoria from the list. I mean, other than it having a fuckton of discs, is it really remembered fondly for anything? Deep down I really don't think it was a terribly good game.

Anyone can feel free to prove me wrong though. :colbert:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Another article discussing Rand Miller and Cyan teasing a new non-Myst Kickstarter.

I'm really psyched to see Cyan ready to make another go at it, but I do wish they'd quit teasing the drat thing and just put the Kickstarter up when they've got something substantial to talk about.

Edit:

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

Just finished The Book of Unwritten Tales. Pretty great game. Not particularly challenging put the jokes are spot on most of the time. Quite a lot of 4th wall-breakage and jokes about modern occurences, which I usually don't like, but here they worked great. It is probably the longest adventure game I've played, too. Recommended!

Added to OP! Also looking for any console or mobile-based suggestions people might have. That section's relatively thin at the moment.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 16:32 on Oct 7, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Rupert Buttermilk posted:

I would love Police and/or Space Quest on Android, holy poo poo.

I want to walk into the wrong bathroom while I'm playing the game in the bathroom.

ScummVM has an Android version, and those games are compatible with ScummVM. So go nuts.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I'm sad that they never made a second season of Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People, because I legitimately thought it was one of their best efforts.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Xander77 posted:

As to Telltale games... I just want to remind people that the first episode of The Walking Dead did not allow you to save manually and had an issue where it would arbitrarily delete your autosaves. As did every TWD episode after that one, while Telltale did absolutely nothing to address the problem (and you weren't allowed to skip any conversations or cutscenes if you were lucky enough to have the game work properly on a different computer). Telltale is the last company to deserve your money, as they care not at all about the quality of their games or the enjoyment of their customers.

I actually know someone (friend-of-a-friend) who worked at Telltale. They got fired under very shady circumstances, so that was enough for me to stop supporting them. I already owned Walking Dead at that point (and every other game they had made up to that point), but I think I'll be sitting out from Wolf Among Us.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Tunahead posted:

thinking that the Soda Poppers are lovable

I thought the Soda Poppers were deliberately grating and annoying.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Kreeblah posted:

Holy poo poo. All the Kyrandia games are available on GOG now. And there's a launch discount if you buy 'em all.

http://www.gog.com/promo/legend_of_kyrandia_series_launch_discount_101013

Looks like they're also offering Witcher 1 for free if you buy them. Man, they really want people to buy these.
I've never played the Kyrandia series. How are they?

macnbc fucked around with this message at 15:03 on Oct 10, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Weird Sandwich posted:

I bought Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People during the mid year Steam sale, and I'm just now getting around to play them all. Episode one was alright but not great, but episodes two and three are excellent. I'm almost reluctant to play the final two, because they will probably be the last opportunity to see new Homestar Runner material. :smith:

The last two are the best two, so you're still in for a good ride.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ookiimarukochan posted:

(2) Activision refused to allow a new Gabriel Knight game, only a remake to test the waters. I suspect that the Guys didn't really want to remake Space Quest 1.

That seems to be their philosophy in general in regards to their library, since that's pretty much why Al Lowe said Leisure Suit Larry Reloaded happened rather than a new game.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I just gave up on playing Gabriel Knight 3 about a third of the way through the game.

Thus far I have endured one of the worst adventure game puzzles I have ever witnessed (maple syrup cat fur mustache), one of the most tedious stealth sections ever (going hotel room to hotel room), and some of the worst 3D this side of Monkey Island 4.

What finally pushed me over the edge was when I went to enter license plate numbers from my notebook into the computer thingie, and discovered that even though I clicked on all the different license plates as I saw them, and had Gabriel read them aloud each time, find out that apparently they were supposed to generate inventory items displaying them. But didn't. Because.

I have a feeling this won't cripple my game like old school Sierra adventures, but the plot has been generally uninspired, and the voice acting hilariously bad at best (Tim Curry's drawl sounds like a parody of his GK1 version). It was the straw that broke the camel's back for me and I just can't take it any more. :bang:

Did anyone here like this game? If so, were you drunk at the time?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Xander77 posted:

Roberta Williams was right - people just loving hate thinking.

Roberta Williams also said that the decline of gaming was attributable to poor people being able to get games. So sometimes she's full of poo poo.

The problem with early point-and-clicks isn't that they made people think, it's that they would allow someone to make the game unwinnable and then let them waste their time for hours before telling them that. That was just bad design. If you're going to have a fail condition, have one, but either put up a game over soon or give the player the opportunity to recover later.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So after weeks and weeks of teasing, Cyan Inc. (Myst, Riven) has launched the Kickstarter for a new adventure game that is not a Myst title, but seeks to capture the same spirit.

Here comes Obduction.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Eulisker posted:

Are they trying to emulate the QuickTime videos of myst with their tiny video or is my iPad broken?

I think it's you. It loads fine on my laptop.
Also: $50k in under 4 hours. :stare:

macnbc fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 17, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Shine posted:

I grew up playing early Space and King's Quest games on a Tandy 1000. Does anybody know how to configure DOSBOX to emulate the sound processor from it? I think it's the same as PCjr. The quality was somewhere between Sound Blaster and PC speaker, and it's just not the same playing them without it; Space Quest 3 in particular.

It's actually in the DOSBox wiki. Looks like you can enable it under speaker settings.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Fredrik1 posted:

Seriously why are people hating on this, seems great, granted I've not played their latest games but neither myst or riven had any bullshit puzzles and where really good.

I'll send them some money for a myst-like game for sure. I just wished they'd get Robyn Miller for the soundtrack but you can't get everything i guess.

I agree with this. I'm really psyched about this one. This is the first time Cyan has essentially made their own major game without publishers dictating the budget or timetable since Riven. When Kickstarter came up I said that the three campaigns I'd automatically back if they ever happened were Dreamfall Chapters, a new game from Cyan, and a new game from Presto Studios. So far I'm 2/3 and I've been very pleased to put my money where my mouth is.

At the moment I've just pledged at the $25 level but I figure that's a baseline and I'll figure out what I can afford to do later.

In other adventure game news GOG is doing a sale on point-and-click adventures this weekend. 60% off for titles like Longest Journey, Jack Keane, 7th Guest, Book of Unwritten Tales, etc.

I don't have Richard and Alice but it looks interesting. Anyone play it?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Shine posted:

Everybody go buy The Longest Journey, and don't spend more than 30 minutes trying to figure out the rubber duck without a hint book.

Nobody buy Dreamfall unless you liked the combat in Prince of Persia 3D for some reason.

steinrokkan posted:

Nobody buy Dreamfall, period.

I disagree with you all on Dreamfall actually. There were some pretty dreadful combat/stealth sequences in it but at its core it has a good story and did a decent job following up on the characters from TLJ.

And yes it ends on a cliffhanger but thankfully Dreamfall Chapters is in production now to wrap things up.

What I WILL say for the sale is do buy 7th Guest for its awesomely cheesy FMV quality, but avoid 11th Hour at all cost. It has interactive movie syndrome and goes straight past awesomely bad and into just plain terrible in every way.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Oct 18, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

raditts posted:

While we're on the topic of cheesy 90s FMV games, how were the Tex Murphy games post-Mean Streets? I loved Mean Streets and played the poo poo out of it on my 286 as a kid, but a friend of mine had Under A Killing Moon and I couldn't get into what little I played of it. I can't remember how many sequels were after that.

There are 2 after Killing Moon: Pandora Directive and Overseer. (Well, 3 if you count Tesla Effect in production now.)
I thought Pandora Directive was best, but if you couldn't get into Killing Moon you probably won't get into Pandora Directive either.

The Tex Murphy games are probably the only legitimately good FMV games from the 90s though. All the rest didn't quite click, but since the Tex Murphy series never took itself seriously the zany cheesiness of it all worked and made for some solid games.

You might like Overseer though. It's basically a remake of Mean Streets. Fair warning though: It ends in a cliffhanger. Supposedly Tesla Effect will resolve it when it comes out next year.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So with the Obduction kickstarter going on the Kickstarter thread got kind of shanghaied into a Myst discussion thread for a bit, so I thought I'd bring it up over here instead.

I feel like my opinion tends to run against the grain when it comes to the series.. I think that Realmyst is 100% better than the original in pretty much every conceivable way. I also think Myst IV: Revelation is the best in the series. It had a stellar soundtrack, puzzle design that was better integrated into the environment than the others which were pretty much "here's a puzzle, now solve it so you can open this door or some poo poo." It also was pretty much the apex of what prerendered graphics were capable of, and did a good job of finishing the Sirrus and Achenar story threads from the first game.

I know that's a pretty uncommon opinion though, so I'm sure I'm about to get the guild of maintainers on my rear end shortly.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

RightClickSaveAs posted:

I'm thinking about picking up Riven and either RealMyst or Myst: Masterpiece Edition again. Based on what you've said and what I know about it, Realmyst sounds the most appealing. I like the idea of being able to freely look around all the environments I have vague memories of. Is there any reason to get the Masterpiece edition instead? I'd be doing this purely out of nostalgia, it's been a long time since I played either Myst or Riven and I want to see if my opinion has changed at all.

Well if it's nostalgia you're going for that's what Masterpiece will have, since it's identical to what you experienced before. I just can't go back to it after playing Realmyst. It's (literally) a night and day difference.

If you're really on the fence and not in a big hurry, it's pretty routine with every major Steam sale for there to be a discount on the Cyan Complete Pack. It's normally $30 but I've seen it go for $10-15 in past Steam sales. Not only does it have both Masterpiece Edition, Real Myst, and Riven included, but it's also the only way to obtain Cyan's pre-Myst titles that were aimed at kids (Manhole, Cosmic Osmo, and Spelunx.)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So the past few days I suddenly had the urge to pull Missing: Since January out from the back of my PC gaming cabinet.

I'm actually shocked the game still works. It's a 10 year old quasi-ARG from a little studio in France with a heavy reliance on in-game websites and e-mail accounts, but as far as I can tell they're all still up and running long after the US publisher for the game has gone defunct.

It's a quirky little thing with translation issues, bad FMV acting, and a couple of real stinkers for puzzles (basically whenever they try to do their own version of a classic arcade game), but I have a soft spot for it.

I'm actually considering doing a Let's Play of it just to sort of archive it for posterity before the websites do finally disappear.

Has anyone else played this game? It also had a sequel called Evidence: The Last Ritual.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Is that kind of in the same way that the Who Framed Roger Rabbit game now can't be beaten because you had to call a real phone number? (And probably couldn't be beaten outside the USA, either).

Kind of. While there are some puzzles that rely on real-world info you can probably get from sites outside the game, there's also ones that link to puzzle solutions only kept on in-game websites.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

RadicalR posted:

Holy crap. I remember this game. Yeah, it would be awesome to see a LP for this game before all the websites disappear. It wasn't a bad IDEA, just... well...
Some puzzles are just real stinkers as you say.

Fortunately (or unfortunately) I decided to follow through on my threat and started an LP for Missing over here.

Now I need to start a tally sheet of the number of times they say "esoteric" in this game..

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Just an FYI to Blackwell fans: Blackwell Deception (the 4th chapter) is currently free from Wadjet Eye.

Just go to buy it at their website and use promo code "BOO" at checkout.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So Daedalic Entertainment is now up on a Humble Weekly Bundle.. I actually haven't played any of their games. Is this a good pack?

How does Daedalic compare to others like Telltale or Wadjet Eye? What are their games like anyway?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Chairman Capone posted:

I remember them saying a while ago that they'd want to do a game based on it since they're fans, is there something new and more solid that came out indicating they're actually working on it?

IGN says they verified it with "multiple credible sources", for whatever that's worth.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Various news tidbits:

A new trailer for Moebius Empire Rising: A Metaphysical Adventure by Jane Jensen (yes that is the real title) is out.

Also the Presto Studios guys have come back to life, teasing the Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime release as still on for 2013, which means it would be coming awfully soon.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megazver posted:

They're releasing it in halves like Broken Age.

Also Broken Age has been suffering from some severe scope and feature creep, making it a very different game than originally intended. Broken Sword has stuck to their design spec.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Brovstin posted:

So Dark Fall: The Journal and its sequel just went up on steam. Are they any good?

I have them from GOG. They're sort of Myst-style first person games if you like that sort of game. I thought the writing and puzzles were pretty good. They've got a bit of a horror tilt to them but nothing too frightening. I got the impression people didn't like the sequel as much but I enjoyed it. Had a fun time travel aspect to it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Megazver posted:

Apparently the new Broken Sword unironically reprises the cat hair moustache puzzle from GK3.

Oh God say it isn't so. That's probably where my $25 went from the Kickstarter.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I just finished DEVICE 6 on my iPhone and was seriously impressed with it. Wish there was more out there like it! (Or more original adventure games for mobile in general. There's that, Year Walk, and The Room, but anything else?)

I've added it to the OP list. Really good production values, highly recommended.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
GOG's doing a big 70% off sale on Anuman games. I have (and enjoyed) the Syberia games.

How are the Still Life and Atlantis games?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Chinook posted:

Could I have a recommendation for an adventure game for my son, who is only 5 years old? He can read very well, but the humor of many games might be over his head, and the detailed stories of something like Broken Sword might be too confusing and potentially frightening.

I was thinking Sam & Max, and we watched a video of the newer ones, and the jokes are definitely at a higher level than he'd understand, but I still think he'd like it, as long as I played with him and "asked for his advice" whenever we had to use items. (we'll probably do this, and play through all of those together)

But can you think of a game where he'd potentially be able to play entirely on his own? I have an iPad, and the idea of clicking "open/push/pull" and even combining inventory items is within his reach, I'd say. A hint system would be nice, too, for sure.

Thanks for any suggestions. I am not getting my hopes up, though. :)

The Humongous games being re-released by Nimbus Games that were mentioned a few posts ago are a good bet. They're solid games made in part by Tim Schafer (and music by The Fat Man of 7th Guest/Wing Commander/Master of Orion fame), and they're designed for his age group.

Also if you have a PS3 then Journey would be a good choice. On the Wii/WiiU Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros Treasure would work too.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Dec 8, 2013

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Everything in the text on there screams "Jurassic Park" but it bears no resemblance to any JP game I've ever heard of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So for Journeyman Project fans: The Mac OS X version of Pegasus Prime is now accepting preorders.

The Mac version looks to be a disc-only release while the Windows version (coming probably next month) will be a digital-only release likely through GOG.com