Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BiggerJ posted:

On their Facebook page, they're asking people to vote for Pegasus Prime on GOG.com's Wishlist page. I wasn't aware it was that much like Steam Greenlight. I though it was just for convincing GOG.com to pursue various existing games. Wouldn't Pegasus Prime be a shoe-in because Journeyman Project 2 and 3 are already there? If they reject it due to lack of interest, that'd be really lovely.

Yeah, it's not like Greenlight at all. It's just a show of support.

Also I'm pretty sure it's a done deal already. In fact they seem to say so in the comments for one of their Facebook posts.

I wouldn't read too much into the wishlist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

A Proper Uppercut posted:

So I was part of that Double Fine kickstarter, and I just downloaded Broken Age. Played it for a few hours and it's really, really good. Looks gorgeous in motion and the voice acting so far is some of the best I've heard.

Glad to hear the positive buzz on it. I'm not adding it to the recommended list just yet since it's not technically released for another couple weeks. How's it compare to Schafer's earlier stuff?

In other adventure news Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime is due on GOG next month. I'm in the Windows beta for it and it's working pretty drat well. I'm really primed (:haw:) for this!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So anyone who hasn't played Wallace & Gromit's Grand Adventures from Telltale and wanted to someday... well.. there's always eBay.

Telltale's licensing agreement with Aardman has expired and the game has been pulled from sale on all digital storefronts.

They currently have no intention of renewing it, so it looks like this one's off the market for good.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

precision posted:

Gabriel Knight 3 is amazing, despite having an infamously bullshit puzzle. The "90s 3D" isn't nearly as bad as it could be. At least, I didn't really mind it.
Don't listen to this guy. GK3 is a horrible, horrible game that falls prey to the absolute worst habits in adventure games.

I gave up on it 2/3s through and I consider myself VERY stubborn in trying to see things to the end.

Waldorf Sixpence posted:

Cat hair moustache? Is that the one?
Yes, yes it is.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I've finally gotten around to starting some of the games I got as part of the Daedalic humble bundle a month or so ago. I started with the Whispered World and as much as I really want to get into the game, I just can't.

The voice acting is complete poo poo, with the main character sounding like someone making obnoxious baby voices the whole time. The English translation is.. not good, with some jokes centering around words that I had to dig deep in Webster's dictionary to find. (Unsurprisingly they were listed as "archaic.") On top of all that the protagonist is almost impossible to like. He's like Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh but minus the humor and charm.

I'll give it points for art style (which reminds me vaguely of Studio Ghibli stuff), and for trying to be original in its story, but I gave up a couple hours in.

Are all of Daedalic's games like this or does it only get better from here?

macnbc fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Feb 10, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I think it really depends on the studio. Like I'm decidedly "meh" on Revolution's stuff, and so far I don't like Daedalic's stuff at all. But on the other hand I consider The Longest Journey one of my top 3 favorite adventure games of all time, and I liked the Syberia series as well, both of which came from European studios.

Likewise on mobile platforms I think there's some fantastic adventure games coming out from Euro studios like The Room (from UK-based Fireproof Studios) and DEVICE6 (from Sweden's Simogo.)

It's difficult to just say "European adventure games = bad, American ones = good." There's plenty of good and bad stuff from both continents.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Chairman Capone posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of the first episode but I think each one was an improvement, and by the end I think it was extremely solid. Maybe not as good as MI 1-3, true, but then again that's a really high standard. I still think it's the best non-Walking Dead/Fables game that Telltale has done.

I actually maintain that Strong Bad's Cool Game for Attractive People is Telltale's most underrated game.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Tunahead posted:

The worst part of Tales was the twist.

Wow. Your hate for the game is impressive. Nice :godwin: at the end too!

This weekend I've played The Room 2, and I have to say I wish all mobile games were this good. Stylistically it shares a lot with the Myst games, but the puzzles are way more intuitive. I didn't have to check a walkthrough at all where most Myst games I'm lost without one.

It really shows the potential of the platform, though. The touch controls work pretty well, and the graphics are superb. There is a story hidden away around the edges, but it feels like a bit of an afterthought.

If you haven't played these games (they're on both iOS and Android), then I highly recommend them. They're short but they're under $5 each and definitely worth the buy.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
People following this thread might be interested in the new Humble Weekly Sale that went live today, courtesy of Adventure Company.

quote:

Contains: Dead Reefs, Mystery Series: A Vampire Tale, Safecracker: The Ultimate Puzzle Adventure, and Aura: Fate of the Ages
Pay $6 or more to get: Dark Fall: The Journal, Dark Fall 2: Lights Out, The Book of Unwritten Tales Digital Deluxe Edition, The Book of Unwritten Tales: The Critter Chronicles Collectors Edition, Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within, Deponia, and Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
Pay $15 or more to get: The Raven: Legacy of a Master Thief Digital Deluxe Edition

The only ones here I've played are the Dark Fall series, which I rather liked. Any other recommendations/warnings to stay away from this set?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Claimed, thank you!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BiggerJ posted:

macnbc: Is Pegasus Prime still on track for February or maybe March?

Honestly you know as much as I do right now. The beta has been pretty quiet lately. I haven't had any new bugs to report but I haven't gotten any new builds either. My understanding is that the master's in GOG's hands at this point and subject to the whims of their release calendar, which they don't make public.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Update on Pegasus Prime since some have asked about it: Apparently a couple more bugs were discovered during GOG's vetting of it, pushing release back a few more weeks. Presto hasn't given a new ETA yet. :sigh:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

shymog posted:

I still wonder if they're going to release a downloadable OSX version, if only because I'm cheap and don't want to buy an external drive for literally one game.

I haven't heard any plans for that, but GOG does support OSX games, so never say never...

In other news, GOG is having a weekend sale on adventure games.

70% off on all Tex Murphy, Broken Sword, Simon the Sorcerer, Little Big Adventure, Atlantis, Still Life, Post Mortem, and Syberia titles.

Plenty of good ones in the mix!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Conduit for Sale! posted:

Any suggestions for iOS games? I got Lost Echo because Adventure Gamers gave it a good review but I dunno beyond that one.

It's not like I put a whole section in the OP about it or anything... :raise:

For games I've personally played I'd highly recommend DEVICE 6, The Room 1 and 2, and Year Walk. I also haven't played the Phoenix Wright on iOS but I played it on DS where it was pretty good and I hear it's a faithful port.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Mar 12, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Nobody Interesting posted:

Contrary to popular belief, it only has 3 entries. Two of them never happened. :colbert:

Out of curiosity, which 2? (I haven't played 4 or 5 yet.)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Dragonrah posted:

I liked 3 and thought 4 was decent enough. 3's problem was the lovely block pushing, but other than that was great. I have to admit I don't remember 4 that well, but I don't remember it being offensively bad. Perhaps that was it's problem. It was forgettable.

I'll go ahead and say it. I personally didn't care for the second one. :shrug:

I'm playing through 4 right now. Honestly I feel that pretty much the entire Broken Sword series is forgettable compared to other adventure games. I mean, they're competently made and the 2D ones are very pretty but inevitably before I start a new game I have to look up a plot summary of the previous one and who all the characters making cameos are because I never remember them. I don't seem to have that problem with other series.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Xander77 posted:

Yes, but you should never be reduced to buying something off GOG if you can buy on steam instead.

"Reduced"? I choose DRM free GOG over DRM Steam whenever possible.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Xander77 posted:

I've never bought an old game on steam only to notice that a number of features just don't work.

On the other hand, that's what happened every single goddamn time I bought a game on GOG

Have you tried putting in support tickets? In my experience GOG support actually responds to those where Steam basically tells you you're on your own. GOG also has a 30-day money back guarantee if a game doesn't work right and they can't fix it. Steam offers no such promise.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

I was actually a little excited this morning to revise the OP today to remove the note about no version of the first Journeyman Project game being in print, because Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime is now available on GOG!

For those who haven't heard about this release, this is the first time the game has ever been available on Windows or Mac OS X. It is a totally new port made using ScummVM that incorporates higher-resolution video and interactive gameplay that was only available on an unreleased Playstation version.

This is the absolute best version of Journeyman Project that has ever seen the light of day and I can't recommend it highly enough.

To put my money where my mouth is, I offered on the GOG thread and will extend the offer here that the 5th person who PMs me what their favorite time travel story (game/movie/TV show/book/whatever) and why will get a code.
Claimed by radicalr! (Who's a Quantum Leap fan)

Just to throw in a bonus over here, I'll add that the first person who PMs me the answer to this question: "What year does the first Journeyman Project game take place in?" will get a code for the sequel Buried in Time.
Chairman Capone won that one! (The answer was 2318)

If you don't have PMs you can email me. My username at gmail.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 16:40 on Apr 10, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

your evil twin posted:

Your Let's Play of Pegasus Prime was one of the things that got me into Let's Plays in general. (I'm currently Lping two games about time travel... and one of the viewers of my thread said the same thing about your LP!) I am buying that GOG version of Pegaus Prime right this second.

Ever considered doing a Let's Play of Buried in Time?

I'm also excited about the new Tex Murphy game. Hmmm, GOG or Steam... I happen to have enough money sitting in my Steam wallet. And I already own the previous games on GOG. But I kinda feel like supporting GOG, y'know?

Wow! I didn't realize anyone remembered I did that LP like 4 years ago. I'll be sure to check yours out!

And yes I've considered doing BIT. I've heard rumors that Presto is working on a ScummVM remaster of that now that Pegasus Prime is done though, so I'd want to wait for that version before attempting it.. it's a lot less linear than Pegasus so it's a more difficult game to LP. Not to mention that I promised a follow-up to the Missing Since January LP I did first..

I hear you on Tex Murphy too. And I'm only mildly ashamed to admit I got the GOG version in this case purely because then I have an entire virtual shelf on my account with nothing but Tex Murphy games now.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Veotax posted:

I just played the new GOG version of Pegasus Prime and while it's awesome having a version I don't have to fight with to get it running on PC any more (also it's kinda cool that they brought back Ares' voice acting from the original) I really don't care for the new QTE sequences. Most of them seem too much trial and error, there isn't enough warning ahead of time which paths will kill you.

There's ways to make some of them easier, if you're not into that sort of thing.

On the Mars mineshaft sequence: So long as you go left at the first intersection, you'll make it to the end regardless of what your following choices are.
On the Mars canyon chase: Hold down the "E" key when entering the shuttle. This will replace the interactive sequence with a sped up video while the music from the original JMP chase plays.

Also that trick for the canyon chase? Also unlocks some other easter eggs in the game if you play around with it in different places. :ssh:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

I think I'm convinced. They're downloading now.

I do notice that the third instalment is a hideous brand of 90s 3D, though. Does it suffer from the transition at all?

Just to provide a different POV to others in the thread: I thought GK1 was great, GK2 was awesomely bad because of the cheesy FMV acting, and GK3 was just awful. I felt the 3D transition was poorly executed, the interface cumbersome, and the puzzle design deplorable. In fact the cat hair mustache puzzle from GK3 has become the classic example of "adventure game logic", which it earned for good reason. I have a pretty high tolerance for that sort of thing but even after having to resort to a guide on a couple of occasions I still ended up rage quitting and watching the rest from an LP. Which, it turns out I didn't miss much.

Personally I feel that Jensen is highly overrated as a "master storyteller" (which she calls herself), and that there's better stuff out there. Just my two cents though.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So has anyone played part 2 of Broken Sword 5 yet? I've held off on playing Part 1 until it came out. How'd the whole thing turn out?

In other news, if you liked the music of Broken Age, or DEVICE6, then they're included as part of Game Music Bundle 7

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

RadicalR posted:

.... Am I going to get shamed for playing games that are apparently far below me age group?

These are games designed by Tim Schafer (Monkey Island, Psychonauts) with music by The Fat Man (Wing Commander, 7th Guest, Master of Orion, Loom).

Nothing to be ashamed of there.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Sure about that? I'm pretty sure they were Ron Gilbert.

God dammit you're right. That's what I get for forgetting to check Wikipedia first. :suicide:

macnbc fucked around with this message at 12:39 on Apr 18, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Rollersnake posted:

Well with part 2 out and it becoming increasingly clear that I'm never going to finish BS4, I guess it's finally time to redeem my backer code!

I finished BS4 last night. Don't bother. There's an inescapable bug that occurs 95% of the way through the game where George gets stuck in geometry after a cutscene. It took me a half hour of Googling to find how to work around that. Totally killed it for me.

The game also is really lacking a proper ending. You solve the great mystery at the end and.. that's it. Roll credits. No final moments with the characters or anything. Just cut to black and really cheesy credits music.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Rollersnake posted:

I feel like Charles Cecil just needs to start over with a new cast of characters rather than continuing to milk a franchise out of Broken Sword.

Probably. But BS5 was a Kickstarter game, and Kickstarter has proven that existing IPs tend to get more money than new ones.

(Exception goes if their creator has extremely high name recognition, which I'd say Cecil anywhere close to Tim Schafer on that front still.)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
For anyone who was excited about the new Tex Murphy game coming out today. It's not. It's been delayed 2 weeks.

I'm in favor of delays for quality, but waiting to within 24 hours of scheduled release to say so is kinda bullshit.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

your evil twin posted:

The good news it it gives me a chance to catch up on all the previous Tex Murphy games!

I've found that a couple of people on youtube have LPd them. Starting right from the beginning with Mean Streets!

There's no way I'd have time to play through the whole franchise in a fortnight, but it should be doable with Let's Plays. The secret: watch them at 1.5x or 2x speed.

The HTML5 version of youtube has those speed options, but since the HTML5 player doesn't do 1080p I still use ordinary youtube. So for my super-fast video-watching I use youtube downloader to download the video files, then watch them using VLC at 1.5x or 2x speed. I love being able to speed up or slow down several times with the touch of a button.

I think you can just skip over Mean Streets. The most recent game released (Overseer) is a re-telling of it but with the FMV that's become the series hallmark.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So for anyone who's picked up Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime since it came out...

There's a really big easter egg added to the new version of the game that I was sworn to secrecy about when I beta tested it for the Presto guys.
If you've played any of the other Journeyman games you'll probably be a fan of this.

The cat's out of the bag now though, so here it is!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

your evil twin posted:

Haha, wow that is amazing. So is it a combination of new lines recorded by the voice actor specially, along with some clips from the other games? Or is it all newly recorded?

I think all of the audio is from the other games just cleverly spliced together.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I'm finally getting around to playing the Blackwell games and the beginning of Blackwell Legacy makes me think I'd enjoy an adventure game where the main character just goes about their normal business and deals with everyday challenges (that are solved in puzzley adventure game fashion, of course) instead of nazis trying to get an alien power source or tentacles trying to take over the world or whatever.

I think I just described The Sims, except for the puzzles.

I can see the walkthrough now.

"...and then in chapter 3, Bob the Protagonist went to start his car to go to work. Unfortunately he locked his key in the car so he must fashion a new one out of a paper clip, a toothpick, and a hairpin. Unfortunately to get the hairpin he must go to the local Starbucks and cause a distraction so he can steal it from the barista when she's occupied and has her head turned. To do this he must convince another patron (who will optionally tell Bob his entire life story via dialogue options) to order the Double Chocolaty Chip Frap with extra creme...."

Actually that's starting to sound like a Broken Sword 4 puzzle.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So Tex Murphy Tesla Effect came out today.

I haven't had the chance to fire up my preordered copy yet. Anyone playing it yet?

Also I've been doing some housekeeping on the GOG/Steam links in the OP.. does anyone know of a way to group Steam games together under a single link? Like I use the GOGMix feature on GOG's site for linking to entire game series rather than littering the OP with a dozen links for some series, but I can't figure out a way to do that for Steam.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 02:38 on May 8, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Xander77 posted:

I'm getting all kinds of schadenfreude out of bad adventure game fans finally getting the sequels they were clamoring for, only for them to turn out to be terrible (see Broken sword, reviewed by the same guy)

How about you actually play the games yourself and develop your own opinion instead of getting schadenfreude out of finding bad reviews then?

I haven't played Tesla Effect yet but I finished Broken Sword 5 a week ago and it's far from terrible.

Is it the best Broken Sword game ever? No. Is it leaps and bounds better than BS4? Absolutely. I'd rank it third in the series, and possibly even second (BS2 didn't appeal to me as much as some others.)

macnbc fucked around with this message at 13:45 on May 17, 2014

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
The Runaway series is going for 70% off the whole set at GOG right now

I haven't played these. Anyone got an opinion on them?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Rollersnake posted:

Edit: Time Gentlemen, Please! + Ben There, Dan That are on sale as well. Are they as obnoxious and terrible as they look, or should I actually trust the mysteriously consistently good reviews?

BaconPigbutt posted:

Its been a while since I played them, but I absolutely loved it. The puzzles can be a little out there sometimes, but the game is absolutely hilarious in a sort of british humor meets beavis and butthead kind of way.

I'd agree with that. Ben There, Dan That is clearly a no-budget thrown together effort, but Time Gentlemen, Please is a fun play.

Think of it as a love letter to Lucasarts adventures, because the characters will mention them several times anyway. But it's done in the right spirit. The writing holds up well and the gameplay, while not particularly polished, keeps you engaged.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Just beat Tesla Effect the other day.

I'm still not quite sure how I feel about it overall.

On the one hand: I LOVED seeing an FMV game presented in full glorious HD. It's totally different than the blocky highly compressed visuals from the 90s. I also appreciated the sheer volume of conversation options and paths available.

On the other hand: The 3D sections of the game were really bad. I know Unity doesn't quite push the pixels like, say, Unreal 4 or Cryengine does, but calling them Deus Ex 1-era would be generous.

Also the first half of the game was notably more polished and coherent than the second half, where plot points started becoming rushed, jumbled, and jumped out of nowhere. It felt like big chunks of game went missing somewhere along the line.

Overall though, it still felt like a Tex Murphy game from the 1990s. That has all of the good and the bad traits that accompany it.
The tech has improved considerably, but the design has not.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So I wasn't expecting big adventure game news out of the E3 press conferences, but here's a bomb drop:

Grim Fandango is being re-released by Double Fine for PS4 and PS Vita

Commence :supaburn:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Dragonrah posted:

Where da PC at?

Tim Schafer says on Twitter that additional platforms will be announced soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I posted on the Red Thread forum about it, but I'm in the "Hopeful but wary" bunch about the Dreamfall Chapters news.

On the surface I support the idea of a delay for quality, but Tornquist's track record on promises vs. delivery has me concerned.

Like in the Kickstarter there was a question on whether any of the digital rewards (like short stories and such that were included in several pledge tiers) would come out before the game did. They promised that some would come out well beforehand, even though none of them have thus far.

Also not to mention I got sold hook line and sinker when Tornquist promised an aggressive content schedule and monthly updates on The Secret World when that launched. Then he bailed like a month after launch, Funcom liquidated, and there's been a solid year of a barren wasteland of updates. Some of the features Tornquist promised STILL haven't been put in the game. I really don't like how he's tossing around some of the same language with Dreamfall now.

I'm also concerned about how they talk about getting book 1 out there as a way to bring in more funding for the rest.. what if it doesn't sell as well as they hope? Does Dreamfall Chapters get back-burnered so they can focus on that Draugen game they're working on or something?

I was a lot less skeptical when Double Fine and Revolution announced their plans to break things in two for their own Kickstarted games.. they're both established studios with proven track records. Red Thread might have industry vets in it but they're still a new studio with no past experience to point to and go "It's OK, just trust us on this."