Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Looks like the Kathy Rain devs heard everybody talking about it here. It's free on Steam for the next 24 hours.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Neddy Seagoon posted:

So you're saying you have in no way changed at all since you were a child/teenager who didn't know better?

:piss:

Gotta agree with this. There’s a pretty stark difference between “politically incorrect” and “pretty loving racist.”

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Entorwellian posted:

It's like watching a lovely version of Two and a Half Men: The Video Game.

Nomination for new thread title?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
For anyone who wants a last chance at picking up Telltale Games stuff (at least for now), GOG reports that they will be delisting all remaining titles from their catalog on Monday 5/27. It would not surprise me if other storefronts follow suit.

Apparently there won't be a final discount or giveaway because there's nobody left on the Telltale side to authorize it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

MockingQuantum posted:

Telltale went into assignment, which is like bankruptcy but not exactly. I'm not sure of the precise difference but it basically means that there's some company that took ownership of its assets and would distribute sales profits to Telltale's creditors, whoever that might be at this point. Unfortunately it's deeply unlikely any profit from sales would go to the couple hundred employees they basically kicked to the curb with no warning.

Assignment is basically bankruptcy by proxy. Instead of having a bankruptcy trustee who guides the company through liquidation, in assignment you essentially just hand the keys over to a 3rd party who owns the company at that point and is charged with selling off its assets (including IP) in order to repay creditors.

So Telltale as an entity still exists and there's some third party that owns it, so all revenue is going to them for purposes of repaying the studio's creditors, but they aren't actually still a going concern.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Captain Hygiene posted:

Beat Curse of Monkey Island after three or four sessions and plenty of wandering around between half-remembered puzzles. It's still about as funny, charming, and atmospheric as I remembered, although a handful of the puzzles seemed aggravatingly obtuse and the sloooow walking really grated on me at times (even with the ability to instantly jump to clickable exits in areas).

Also it really sticks out now where the budget ran out - two really long sections with tons of locations and puzzles, then the whole climax of the game is basically a conversation with LeChuck and two five-minute acts. It's not terrible, because the ideas are great and the presentation is really awesome - the rollercoaster scenes are awesome references and the best use of the adaptive music system, and there's also the best piece of score I can think of in a game: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XzK-SpnokdQ

It's just kinda aggravating because the rushed ending just feels jarring after a long and largely satisfying chunk of game. It's not enough to wreck it, as a whole, it still pretty much fits in with my memories of it as a high watermark in the genre, so I'm glad I went back to replay it.

If there's anything that the Monkey Island series is damned consistent about, it's rushed endings.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
My understanding is that Cyan’s always owned the IP, they just didn’t hold all the publishing rights until recently.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Veotax posted:

It's fully playable in singleplayer, mostly down to Ubisoft inheriting the game from Red Orb when they brought the Myst license and making Cyan turn it into a singleplayer game. When Uru released almost all of the content was retro-fitted into a singleplayer adventure and the multiplayer only stuff was basically a chatroom with nothing to do.
Then Ubisoft cancelled the multiplayer side entirely, so Cyan put out a free expansion which was the chatroom stuff with a small amount of gameplay shoved in to make it singleplayer. Then they put out a paid expansion consisting of the levels they they were planning to put out for the multiplayer (converted to singleplayer) that was close to completion and the stuff that wasn't so close was used for Myst V to close out the story they were trying to tell.

Some of the puzzles aren't so elegantly converted, one solution in the paid expansion is literally stand in one spot for ten minutes.

Just for the record the multiplayer version of the game is fully available for free at http://www.mystonline.com/ and those puzzles were reimplemented back into their multiplayer-intended forms.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I've said for ages that David Cage is a great game director but an awful writer.

Like there is a clear evolution of gameplay and presentation from Fahrenheit -> Heavy Rain -> Beyond Two Souls -> Detroit Become Human and it gets better every iteration.

The writing has only improved marginally though. It remains cliched at best and hackneyed more often than not.

One of my biggest wishes in gaming is to see a Quantic Dream game directed by Cage but written by literally anybody else.

It's healthy to acknowledge one's own limitations.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
It’s also available on Apple Arcade if anyone subs to that.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Mokinokaro posted:

One thing I appreciated about Gibbous was that the icon changed when there was no further info to be gleaned from looking at something.

It's a small thing, but it helps.

There was a game I played a while back, it might've been Dreamfall Chapters but I can't remember exactly, where I realized like halfway through it that on dialogue trees you could repeatedly hit the same prompt and it would give more information on that topic, and when it was finally exhausted the option was grayed out.

NOWHERE did it indicate this or that you should try multiple times. There was probably a novel's worth of dialogue I had missed out on because of lovely UI design.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Strom Cuzewon posted:

What are some good Myst-like games? Not necessarily first person, but the kind that drop you in a weird unknown world, and the puzzles are about figuring out what the hell is going on and how things work.

Also cool trippy visuals are a bonus.

Oh you just entered my wheelhouse.

Some good examples that aren't actually in the Myst series (ranked in sort of my personal preference order) :

VVVVVV- I forgot The Room games! Megazver is right. Though there’s actually 4 of them now. They’re on iOS.

macnbc fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Oct 20, 2019

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

al-azad posted:

I tell everyone if you're playing adventure games pre-2000 just have Universal Hint System opened in a separate tab, even if it's a game I know well like Sam and Max there'll be something I forgot and there's just no point banging your head against the wall.

I wish UHS wasn't effectively dead. (They haven't done any new ones since 2015.) It's a style that isn't really used these days when you just need a nudge.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I've been diligently holding off on KRZ until all acts are out. Are the interludes presented in game proper or do I need to go hunt them down somewhere?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I personally wouldn’t call GK2 “great”, but it’s fun in an MST3K kinda way.

Also the CG wolves are utterly laughable in the best way.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hakkesshu posted:

I'll also shout out the Journeyman Project games as quality FMV adventures. Black Dahlia is neat too and should really be on GOG.

Really I'd say only JP3 is a true FMV adventure. JP1 and 2 have live actors but they're not cutscene-y in the way FMV games are. (Though as my avatar would suggest, I do love all of them and recommend them without reservation)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I actually think Buried in Time (JP2) is the series peak. The puzzles were significantly dumbed down in 3 (reportedly due to the publisher complaining about low game completion rates due to difficulty.) The soundtrack for 2 is also :woop:

I also didn’t like how what had always been a first-person game series suddenly introduced cutscenes that weren’t. (And it’s not like the guy they had playing the protagonist was all that great either.)

The version of JP1 that’s released right now is actually a full remake that was made after 2. The bones of the original are there in it but they jettisoned a lot of the cyberpunk rock craziness for something a little more mellow. I still love it to pieces though.

I know the team that ported said remake are now working on a remaster of 2, but that’s been languishing in limbo for years so I don’t know if it’ll ever be done.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Casimir Radon posted:

I'm of the Lucasarts school that says you shouldn't off the player for a simple mistake. So I like that JP3 doesn't do that.

That I agree with. Pegasus Prime (the JP1 remake) put in a good compromise feature of adding a "Continue" function which if you do something dumb to off yourself just resets it back to just beforehand.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Best rewind function in an adventure game still belongs to The Last Express, since it’s such an integral component of making that game work.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

John F Bennett posted:

What are some adventure games that have a complex, multi-layered mystery to uncover with lots of plot twists along the way and grand story-telling.

I’d say the Broken Sword series kinda sorta fits this description. Even if the mystery ultimately boils down to templars are evil lol.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Sorbocules posted:

For the person looking for an adventure game for 10ish year olds, I remember when I was that age really loving a game called "The Manhole". I think it's on steam now in the myst bundle.

Although I will admit even against thread title, if you want edutainment, I would recommend more in the puzzle game genre, rather than adventure game- something like zoombinis, if it's still around.

The Manhole was Cyan’s (maker of Myst) first game and it shows. You can actually see a lot of early ideas for Myst (like the wrecked sailing ship) get reused again. Like you mentioned it is definitely more exploratory than puzzling though. I think 10 is overshooting it on age though. 5-6 is probably more appropriate. The other pre-Myst games like Cosmic Osmo and Spelunx also hold up will for that age set.

Also yes, Zoombinis are still around. There’s a remastered version on Steam and on the App Store and it remains as charming as ever.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ErrEff posted:

Disney has developed a severe allergy to video games. They're sitting on a bunch of games stuff (not just LucasArts) but they're never gonna do anything with it so it'll just rot away in a vault. This is what happens when media ownership gets consolidated to an absurd degree.

You say that, but Disney has been very good at getting the old library content re-released in a way that just wasn't really done pre-LucasArts acquisition.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

AbstractNapper posted:

URU does the lazy/ bad feedback in certain puzzles, too, and that one is designed by Cyan (Myst IV is not).

In fairness to Cyan, while I enjoyed Myst 4, Uru’s puzzle issues aren’t entirely their fault since many of them were designed for a multiplayer environment and then had to be jury-rigged to work on single player.

Except for the loving firefly puzzle in the garden ages. That one was a clusterfuck and probably the worst puzzle in the whole Myst series.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
One other change that I’ve seen written about but not listed here for the Sam and Max remaster is they’ve re-cast Bosco’s voice actor. The original was a white actor playing a black character and that decision didn’t age too well for 2020.

Bosco was excellent before though so I hope New Guy channels that same energy.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

BiggerJ posted:

Five new tracks, including a new title theme! Plus the existing music is getting its instruments replaced with better samples.

I’m bummed about the title theme replacement. I liked how it tried really hard to be the Hit the Road theme (without actually getting Telltale sued.)

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Glare Seethe posted:

Some neat stuff in there. I added Chinatown Detective Agency to my wishlist. There's a playable prologue available but I didn't actually try it. It looks cool though and namedrops Carmen Sandiego as inspiration so that's at least a little interesting.

Apropos of nothing in particular, I recently remembered two old games I played back in the day: Wrath of the Gods, and The Arrival. The first is an FMV Greek mythology edutainment title that I don't think I ever beat because I didn't know anything about Greek mythology at the time but was simultaneously reluctant to use the in-game hint system (Oracle) because it took points off your score. The second was some sci-fi thing and apparently tied to some movie I've never heard about. I barely remember anything about it except that you start in a jail cell after being kidnapped by aliens.

I don't actually have anything interesting to say about them, though. :) Mostly curious if anyone else here played them.

I played Wrath of the Gods when I was younger and rather liked it. It made Greek myth “stick” with me better than my school stuff did. I also remember it being the game that convinced my Dad to upgrade from a double speed to a quad speed CD-ROM drive because the load times were deplorable on it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Casimir Radon posted:

Anyone ever play Hidden Evil? It’s TNG based and made by Presto so I’m kind of intrigued.

I did. As a huge fan of Presto, I have to say Hidden Evil was as bland and boring as the Star Trek Insurrection movie that preceded it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Veotax posted:

I've now finished a run through of the new Myst and I really like this new version. Gameplay wise there isn't much to say, it's just Myst. The option to randomise puzzles is great for me and gives me a reason to actually do the puzzles rather than working on memory or looking at old notes.

Graphically it's great and I like they haven't been too precious with the world design and have reworked some things here and there rather than just making everything identical to the old game.
Myst has always had a more magical feeling to how some things in the world worked, while the later games made everything more mechanical. They've changed some things to have buttons or switches in this version where in the original you would have clicked the object itself, this also makes it easier for players to see that something is interactable. For example, the paintings in the library: in the previous versions you had to click the paintings to open/close the doors, in this version there are bars below the paintings you tug on. Less pixel hunting, which would be worse in 3D. Feels like the game fits a bit more into how the Myst universe developed later.

Some examples of stylistic changes: the Myst book in Stoneship doesn't just 'unmelt' from the table but instead emerges from a hidden panel. Selenitic has an actual book now, instead of clicking on a video screen when you solve the puzzle, the 'screen' rotates to reveal an actual book. The chest in Stoneship's light house looks weird, there are a bunch of changes throughout the game to eliminate the need for crouching in VR so stuff is brought up to at least waist height.

I've only played as far as the main island and Selenitic, but some of the stylistic changes I like, others I get kinda nitpicky about.
Like for instance the imager on the dock. In the original games it was a cool effect that it looked like just an ordinary pool but you pressed the button to reveal it as an imager, but they've made it so it's blatantly obvious that it's a hologram at first appearance.. kinda ruins the effect.
I also didn't turn on the context clues in the accessibility settings, but I feel like the game should've done more about the Selenitic door puzzle so that people who are hard of hearing wouldn't be at a disadvantage. It's 2021.

Being able to carry both red and blue pages at once is such a freaking Godsend though.

My take thus far comes down to this: This release makes a lot of sense if you're playing in VR. It makes very little sense if you're not. The puzzle randomization is nice, but I don't think Myst is a game that people really want to replay obsessively just for the sake of the puzzles.
RealMyst Masterpiece isn't all that old and still looks good. There's nothing about this release that really screams "I am the definitive and necessary version of the game!"
The changes are overall pretty minor, the FMV removal is questionable, and it's lacking the Rime age from RealMyst altogether.

I wish Cyan put their effort into the Starry Night/RealRiven project, because Riven is a game far more in need of updates at this point than Myst needed a 3rd(!) 3D remaster.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

cant cook creole bream posted:

This seems like it wants to evoke a sense of nostalgia from two cycles ago. Are there even still people around who lived in the 70s, let alone remember them?

I'm surprised they want to release a new game and run the risk that the poors might be able to see it.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Hakkesshu posted:

Could be cool if it goes in a somewhat Journeyman Project-like direction

DID SOMEBODY SAY JOURNEYMAN PROJECT?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Chairman Capone posted:

I never played Pegasus Prime but I’m curious about what it changes to the original. I haven’t played the original (well, technically Turbo) in probably 20 years and I’m sure it doesn’t hold up but, like Loom, I have a lot of fond memories of it as basically something I could play through in an hour or two once I got used to it.

As someone who did an LP of Pegasus Prime before it got GOG/Steam updates, it is essentially a full-on redo of the first game.

All the “bones” of the original game are there of course. The story is the same, you go to the same time zones which faithfully adhere to the style of the original, it uses the music and voices from the original.. but that’s about where the similarities stop.

Every single time zone in the game is expanded from the original. I’ll use the prehistoric time zone as an example: in the Journeyman Project you just turn around, walk down a canyon, open up a little door, grab the disc you came for, and leave. That’s it.
In Pegasus Prime you land on a clifftop surrounded by a jungle where you have to locate the site for the disc, and then solve a puzzle to figure out how to get to it. Oh and there’s a ton of ways you can die along the way. (They added a “continue” button to death screens that just backs you up a couple steps prior to your doom so death in the game is relatively harmless.)

Everywhere there was a puzzle in the original game? They’re still there, but many of them are more elaborate than before. The Steam version of Pegasus takes it even a notch further by making what were previously idle FMVs to watch (like the Mars canyon chase) and making them interactive gameplay elements with fail states.

Obviously I love the game to pieces but I can’t recommend it enough. If you played JMP 30 years ago Pegasus Prime will probably meet your nostalgia needs better than the original would at this point.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Veotax posted:

Yeah, there's kinda two continuities for Myst. Mysts 1-4 (sorta) and the books, and Uru and Myst 5.

They basically treat Uru as the 'real' events and the Myst games and books as things that exist in universe that are based on a 'true story', but with a bunch of creative license. Like D'ni is said to be in the middle east in the books to hide that it's real and where it is.

Then there's stuff like the trap books from Myst and Riven straight up don't exist in the Uru continuity, you can't trap someone between worlds. So the 'real' versions of Myst and Riven happened differently, with the Stranger never meeting the brothers and I guess convincing Gehn to use the fake D'ni book without using it themself. Myst 4 is apparently based on the 'no trap books' version of events, because the brothers don't recognise the player and Achenar doesn't even realise he's trapped for some time.

Oh boy, get ready for my rabid fan overly-thought-out head-canon on this one that helps iron out the inconsistencies here.

So in the Myst universe there's 2 types of books that lead to other worlds/ages: the Descriptive Book, which is the original book that someone wrote and creates the initial link, and Linking Books, which are the things you often find lieing around, which are basically shorthand versions of the Descriptive Book that link back to it. Changes made to the Descriptive Book are reflected in the Linking Books automagically.

What I think happens with the "trap books" is that Atrus found a way to make changes to the Linking Books that make them appear to still function but actually breaks the link. Whomever uses the book ends up caught in a sort of limbo between worlds that is sometimes in the games/books called The Void. The prison ages shown in Myst 4 he wrote for the brothers were actual worlds, but the brothers when you see them in the original Myst game are stuck in the Void. At the end of the first game when Atrus burned the books, he burned the Linking Books, but not the original Descriptive Books, which are the ones shown locked up in Myst 4. Either before he burned the books, or perhaps simply by the books being destroyed, the brothers were kicked out of the Void and the link completed.

How the brothers don't actually remember the player for the first game or realize at first that they're in prison ages could be explained that someone in the Void is more-or-less in a coma. They're suspended in time and space. Anything that they see or hear while in there would be like a dream that they forget about after waking up.

So when they eventually get kicked out of the Void and to the Prison Ages for them it's like no time has passed since they first used the books. They don't remember the Void or asking a weird dude for pages. They don't realize months or years have passed so they go about their business until they figure out there's no way out of the ages they're in, and a little after that is where Myst 4 picks up.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Today's the 30th anniversary of Myst!

QUICK! Everyone bring me the blue/red pages!

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
This is how you know they are the true return of Telltale Games.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
So GOG is doing a pretty deep discount on Microids titles.

Any hidden gems half-way decent playable stuff in there for a buck or 2?

I like Myst-style first person games and never played the Atlantis or Return to Mysterious Island games so don’t know if they’re any good. Likewise I’ve played Syberia 1 and 2 but not 3.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

ja2ke posted:

People will probably be mad at this as some newfound form of censoring the game, but with the Sam & Max remasters we’ve been trying to reduce the Adventure Game Wait Time as much as we can without it intruding on the experience - making UI transitions quicker, or have them overlap game moments instead of queue up after them, not have enter and exit animations BOTH show the door open and close, that sort of thing.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

macnbc fucked around with this message at 00:13 on Feb 21, 2024

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Season 1 was also produced on a strict 1 episode per month release schedule.

It looks like everybody learned from lessons from that because Telltale backed away from that kind of release schedule afterward.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
I always recommend using MUNT to emulate MT32 sound. It’s a standardized sound so you’re hearing it as the composer intended, and MT32 was usually the best sounding option available at the time.