Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

choobs posted:

Benoit Sokal made Syberia and Syberia 2 which were great and good respectively. I played his next game Paradise which was kind of a disaster and I haven't heard much good about anything else he's done, though I believe Syberia 3 is supposed to come out next year, and I'm hoping for a return to form.

Edit: Syberia 1/2 came out 11 and 9 years ago respectively, so i guess they don't really qualify as "Modern" anymore...

I really liked the first Syberia but the only thing about Syberia 2 that kept me playing was wanting to see the end. The first one had a really nice structure to it, you had a string of small and unique locations that were mostly self-contained in regards to items and puzzles, all the 'chunks' of the game were just the right size. You didn't find yourself wandering over 100s of different screens looking for items you might have missed. Syberia 2 was a lot worse in that regard and is a large part of why I consider it to be a worse game, it felt like everything was padding. The Yukol village for example was far far bigger than it had to be, confusing to navigate and it seems like a lot of items were purposefully hidden or interaction spots obscured to make the game longer. Particularly annoying examples were the icicles you had to use the catapault on, the shrine out in the snow and the hidden parts of the stone circle at the last location.

There were other annoying things about it too such as the antagonists being cartoon villians. I don't mean just being cartoonishly villianous either, there's a big dumb guy who isn't really bad and a short guy with an annoying voice who exploits him. It was really stereotypical and lazy.

A game than hasn't been mentioned yet that I also like and conincidentally has a similar structure to the first Syberia is Sanitarium. It's a horror point and click thats divided into chapters each with their own mini-story thats actually part of and a obscured retelling of a larger overall story. You wake up in an asylum with amnesia and you have to piece together who you are and why you're there and the chapters alternate between being in the asylum itself and hallucinations which are all like little horror stories of their own and have a good variety of different and unrelated settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Dreylad posted:

I only played Gobliiins 1 & 2 on the Amiga way back when, but they were great games. A mixture of Lost Vikings-type 3 person team (which may have changed to 4 in the second game? Can't remember) with point and click adventure and a bit of timing. Good stuff.

They went in a sort of reverse order, 3 goblins in the first, 2 in goblins 2 and 1 on Goblins 3. Goblins 2 is the best one, got rid of the stupid life bar and the puzzles made a bit more sense so its the best one to start with. Gobliiins itself is pretty good so if anyone is going to play them start with 2 then try 1 if you like it. Goblins 3 is crap though, there's pretty much no logic and sense to any of the 'puzzles' at all, its just using random objects on random things.

ScummVM supports them now so you can play them on pretty much anything.

Baby Sathanas posted:

Stay far away from Discworld 1. It breaks every adventure game rule about having good puzzles or not being able to permanently screw yourself over. It's full of bugs, isn't even that funny and is just a terrible game all-in-all.

Discworld Noir is widely regarded as a "good game" though. It at least has atmosphere in spades. Is worth trying out.

Discworld 1 isn't that bad, it's definately worth playing if you like the books at least. I never noticed any bugs and I can only think of one way you might be able to screw yourself over but thats more of a minor design oversight. It's not like a Sierra game, there's no instant deaths because you cannot die and there's no 'oops you forgot obscure item from hours ago, game over' sorts of stupidity. There are some really really stupid puzzles though, but you can always use a walkthrough if you get stuck. 2 and Noir are definately much better games though.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013
ScummVM should probably be mentioned in the OP really.

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Ugly In The Morning posted:

You aren't the only one. I used to love that game and the sequel when they both came out. I'm reluctant to go back, though, I get the feeling that they've aged incredibly poorly. Or it'll be a victim to my higher standards now that I'm not in elementary school.

I got the first one free with an IBM PC I got some time in the mid 90s. If you take the rail shooter parts out the game is barely an hour long. The shooting parts are all smoke and mirrors as well. You've got a shields/damage bar but you don't actually take damage there are just certain enemies you definitely have to shoot otherwise its instant game over: full shields and you miss a single tiny helicopter that shoots at you for about 2 seconds and couldn't possibly do enough damage and its instant game over. Like, there could be 5 enemies on the other side of the screen shooting at you for far longer but you don't even have to shoot them to proceeed.

Hakkesshu posted:

Well, in the spirit of the month, how about we recommend some horror adventure games?

Harvester Games have released two titles: Downfall and The Cat Lady. Both are available on Desura, and they are some of the scariest/most disturbing horror games ever made by my estimation. Downfall is a bit shakier, production-wise, and being a more traditional point and click game, it has its share of nonsensical puzzles, but it's one of the few games where I'll excuse it because it aids the surreal atmosphere.

The Cat Lady is just excellent all-around. The voice acting is spotty, but structurally it's really unique and it doesn't feel like any other adventure game out there. It has a really consistent vision and goal, and deals with themes like depression and death in really honest ways, which I've never seen before in a game. Highly recommended; here's a post I made ages ago describing one of its early pivotal moments:

Someone else write a thing about the Chzo games!

I really enjoyed The Cat Lady but I'd be lying if I didn't say that some parts are really really cringeworthy. There's just certain parts of the game where bad dialog and bad voice acting combine into something thats embarassing. Overall though its really good.

quote:

I might consider this but I'm really trying to focus the OP on games and where to find them rather than tools for the games. If there's a lot of interest in this however I'll throw something together.

I was thinking more just a link and a tiny icon like the steam/GOG ones for people who already have a copy of a supported game but might have trouble getting it to run on a modern PC, it just came to mind when I was talking about Gobliiins.

Jimbo Jaggins fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Oct 4, 2013

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Machinarium is there as well, and it's OK, but more puzzle than adventure game and gets a bit repetitive for me.

Yeah, my main problem with Machinarium is that the puzzles seem too divorced from the gameworld. To be hyperbolic, it's a collection of full screen puzzle minigames that you walk between for no discernable reason, as of the game designer handed you a bag witha rubix cube, lights out, mastermind and a book of pretty pictures and told you that you could only turn the page after you've solved one of the puzzles.