Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
Unless original assets exist, please don't remake Curse of Monkey Island.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

choobs posted:

Actually, some of the folks involved in the ScummVM released ResidualVM. It's to the point now that the game is fully playable with only minor graphical issues. Supposedly anyway, I haven't had a chance to play it yet. Would be interested in a trip report for anyone who has played it.

A friend of mine streamed the entire game very shortly after Grim was declared beatable in Residual and that's exactly what we saw. Worked great, some weird color problems near the end of the game that sorted themselves out. That was over 2 years ago and before their "stable" release.

Go play Grim Fandango!

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Mr Underhill posted:

Yeah, I never understood why they just wouldn't cater to this nostalgia market, as niche as it might seem. My guess is they're only focusing on what the 18s in 18-35 want, even though the 35s play and buy more. Let's hope we can remember 2012-2014 and forth as the adventure revival period. And thank God for Tim Schafer taking to Kickstarter! He single handedly brought back mainstream attention to the genre.

35 year olds buy lovely Star Wars games too.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

GrandpaPants posted:

There is some shared DNA between Pirates and Monkey Island.

Source: http://grumpygamer.com/on_stranger_tides

Reminder that the fourth Pirates movie was subtitled "On Stranger Tides" as well, so it's not by coincidence that there are similarities beyond pirates.

I had no idea there was a fourth Pirates movie.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

mateo360 posted:

I don't think they changed it since the GOG versions come with star charts, which is going to be hilarious by tomorrow when the steam discussion page for the games is over run with people going "Where do I go?" or "Why do I keep running in to Klingons and Romulans?" since steam tends not to include the extras like, oh say a manual.(or not since I think you can easily find a star chart online)

The only review up on Steam right now for 25th complains that the manual wasn't included.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

OK, that makes sense. And then they made the background the same resolution (are they?) to keep it consistent?

I think in one of the Blackwell commentaries he mentions getting some higher res backgrounds back from an artist and it looked bad mixed up.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Mr Underhill posted:

I think I'm the only one on these forums at least who wasn't head over heels in love with Primordia. I can't even remeber if I finished it or not, so chances are I didn't. I liked the atmosphere and Moebius-like vibe and graphics, but a lot of the puzzles seemed needlessly obtuse to me (like the guy hiding in the mirrors or monitors one, remember that one?). Plus, I love comic relief sidekicks, they're one of my favorite tropes, but that little robot guy was neither relief nor comical.

I think I didn't understand the monitors puzzle, I just kept breaking the monitors the guy was in so he couldn't move anymore, and I think that was an achievement and not the default way of beating it.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Tiggum posted:

I liked Primordia, I think it's one of the better point-and-click adventure games, but unfortunately that's a genre that sets up some pretty low expectations. It's not a game I'm really interested in playing again, even though I know there are alternate endings. It's still the best thing Wadjet Eye have put out other than the Blackwell series (and possibly Technobabylon, which I haven't played yet).

That's one of the puzzles you can solve in two different ways. If you smash the actual monitor he's in, he dies and you can't reactivate the giant robot and need to find another way to get what it would have given you. The other way is to smash monitors he's not in until he's trapped. I can't remember what you get for it or what the other solution is, but I do know that that was one section I reloaded because I wanted to see the dialogue with the giant robot.

I guess I was breaking the monitors he wasn't in without understanding what I was actually doing.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I like goofy puzzles.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Hakkesshu posted:

His games have been advancing at a similar rate to adventure games in the 80s/90s and now he's up to around '94/'95, that looks great!

Let's hope he never gets interested in 3D.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I'm a puzfreak. Just love puzzles.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I'm a puzz freak.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Is it fascism yet posted:

Is this also the thread for text adventures/IF? I played Lost Pig recently and had a blast.

There is a text adventure thread if you want to use that. http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3762899

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Day of the Tentacle is my absolute favorite of the Lucasarts adventures.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Tales impressed me at the time in that it wasn't a complete trainwreck like Escape.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Mr Underhill posted:

Nah, I don't think you really qualify as gamedev until after you've released something, so we're good.

So, are you allowed to read your posts?

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

The Abomination of Nature was a really good gag and also the only good gag.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Xander77 posted:

RPS pointed out that none of the people trying to cash in on old glories have played adventure games in decades, old or new. True when when the big kickstarter wave hit, still true now.

It really annoyed me how often I'd hear something like "We're gonna bring adventure games back"

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

https://store.steampowered.com/app/37260/Emerald_City_Confidential/

It's from before he started self-publishing.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I think he laughed about it happening too much in one of the commentaries. He probably thinks it's a fun running gag by now.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Poker Night 2 is already no longer for sale on Steam.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

al-azad posted:

e: The hundreds of thousands of people still buying Sierra games expected rear end in a top hat design and the market definitely frown on Lowe trying to move towards a cinematic, family friendly approach. I think it was LSL 4 where you can't lose and in the design document for Pharkas that Lowe went on a rant about how no one cared or appreciated it so it's back to assholery!

LSL5 is weird. They swung hard in that direction and didn't really figure it out yet, if you play it today you realize there's like 3 actual puzzles in the entire game. It's great looking though. 6 and 7 are both great.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Fuzz posted:

Incorrect.

Deus Ex and SotN killed the genre because people finally realized that hey, you can do all the same poo poo as an adventure game with puzzles, story, etc, while actually having action-y gameplay. The best of both worlds, why settle for straight point and click?

Cuz it's chill

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

MockingQuantum posted:

This is another one of those weird pop culture things that existed for a while and definitely was a joke I'd heard when I was a kid. I think I even saw it in some cartoon, which is probably how I figured it out when I first played DOTT. It's definitely an example of a certain kind of designer bias (which I'm sure has a name but I have no idea what it would be) where a writer or designer, or group of them, think what is otherwise an extremely esoteric reference is much more common and shared than it is. I can't think of another good example of this in adventure games, but I know I've run into other instances of it. I've never thought about it before but it's a problem that's probably largely unique to a certain generation of adventure games pre-internet ubiquity.

The one everyone points to is the "monkey wrench" in MI2, as that's not a term widely used outside of America. But I think it's weird even as a joke I understand.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I like Yoda Stories.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Veotax posted:

I didn't play Full Throttle until something like the mid-2000's where I found a random budget re-release that I guess was only in the UK or something? It was using SCUMMVM and had some awful smoothing turned on by default that I couldn't turn off so I just took the game files from the disc and put them into my own SCUMMVM install.

I don't care that much for Full Throttle, I don't dislike it but it didn't grab me and since I didn't play it when I was a kid like most of the Lucas Arts adventures I don't have any nostalgia for it.
Didn't even bother picking up the remaster, like I did DoTT and Grim Fandango.

That far back, it's possible SCUMMVM wasn't even running the minigame sections (maybe a good thing?)

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Entorwellian posted:

A 90's metal band made a Myst adventure game!?!?!

check this poo poo out

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7GnCnOPMrU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Much of the humor of Escape is just repeating jokes from the previous games multiple times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I really like Normality.