Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Has there been any more word about when The Journeyman Project: Pegasus Prime GOG release is coming out? Last I heard, there was some problem with developmen but they haven't updated their Facebook page since June.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Awesome Welles posted:

Presto was legit loving cool back in the day. I remember when I emailed their support about my copy of Buried in Time that came in the Trilogy box - I'm trying to remember what it was exactly, but I think for some copies the second CD for BiT was just a copy of the first CD or some weird problem.

They not only sent me an email back thanking me for playing it, but also sent me a replacement CD and a bunch of stickers and other things at no extra charge. I think I was maybe 11 at the time so that was pretty awesome. :3:

Ha! Had the exact same thing happen to me. Still have the replacement disc and stickers on my shelf. I was sent two Deep Time Unit stickers.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Tunahead posted:

Was the Walking Dead script even produced in-house? I doubt it, because it was pretty good.

It was, with the help of screenwriter Garry Whitta, but the two main guys behind the first season recently left Telltale and started their own company. So I have doubts about the continuing quality about the series.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I just played the new GOG version of Pegasus Prime and while it's awesome having a version I don't have to fight with to get it running on PC any more (also it's kinda cool that they brought back Ares' voice acting from the original) I really don't care for the new QTE sequences. Most of them seem too much trial and error, there isn't enough warning ahead of time which paths will kill you.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Yeah, the minecart wasn't bad. They give you a map of it right before you get in the thing.

The NORAD sub sequence was bullshit though. It takes ages and there isn't a hint of what will kill you, why does turning right at the mines kill me while turning left doesn't. The rest of it is ok in retrospect, stay on the line an turn away from the bases. But gently caress the mines.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I wouldn't mind the remake dropping the pre-rendered backgrounds/cutscenes and going with realtime graphics.

Grim Fandango is probably my all time favourite game and I never loving want to see a sequel. But I could go for a good, faithful remake.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

John Murdoch posted:

I'd also point to the fact that they were trying to do what was essentially a niche casual MMO in an era where A) MMOs weren't quite mainstream yet (URU came about roughly a year before WoW showed up) and B) neither F2P nor casual markets had really developed yet either. Hell, URU launched before broadband was even fully saturated, which the game basically required.

And that's before you get into the other logistical nightmares it presented. Like how to keep players invested (and subscribed) when every piece of content can only really be played and completed once, probably over a long weekend at most, while also having a huge art and design cost for everything. Aside from the incredibly lukewarm live events (which the engine couldn't facilitate either) and some hints of user made "content" (marker quests, The Wall, I think Jalak or whatever it was called?), there wasn't much else. They were only just starting to experiment with actual cooperative puzzles right before things shut down.

It didn't help that when Ubisoft decided the game needed a singleplayer component Cyan converted pretty much all the content they had into a singleplayer game. So what little multiplayer only content the game had was little more than a glorified chat room.

And the chat sucked in that game.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's straight up a retcon. They retconned the prison books out of existence in URU and Myst 4 follows that change.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

arcsig posted:

Did they? How was that established? I honestly don't remember too much about the plot or details of Uru, I just remember it having really pretty ages and really frustrating puzzles.

I don't think it was ever in game, but Cyan's 'story guy' apparently constantly posted stuff about the lore. One of the things was that the prison books didn't exist and were 'artistic licence' (the Myst games and books were apparently dramatisations and what happened in URU is what really happened) and instead Atrus just used some Linking Books that lead to some Ages without a way back out.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

That shelf in the back looks familiar...

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I have to say I really don't care for the updated art in DoTT:R, I know it's redrawn but it just looks like one of those lovely smoothing filters you get in SNES emulators and ScummVM.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Mr Underhill posted:

At least one of those is a backer portrait, though (or it looks incredibly similar to a dude that's a serial adventure game backer).

I love a good round of spot the backer!

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Curse is my favourite of the franchise, but seeing as it's the first one I played that may be nostalgia speaking.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Why Myst 3? I thought that ran fine of modern systems, I've never had any trouble with it.

Or is it just a case of why not?

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I believe that EA only has the Star Wars license.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The worst Money Island game is now on GoG.

So I guess all the Money Island games are now available digitally finally. I was stoked when Curse finally went up on Steam, I'm in no hurry to buy Escape.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Something about Myst IV just screams 'low production values' to me. I know that's probably silly and completely wrong, but something about the look of the CG just doesn't feel as good as Riven or Exile and the thing that really rubs me the wrong way is that the transitions between gameplay and FMV are rarely seamless. With Riven and Exile whenever the game moved from an image (or node in Exiles' case) to a video there was no change to the scene other than video compression. With Revelations there could me massive changes to lighting mostly and even geometry in some rare case and sometimes the camera even shifted positions slightly in the transition.

Also in some scenes the positioning and keying of the actors seemed off. There is one scene towards the end of the game where one character is shackled to a chair and their arms aren't actually on the chair or in the shackles properly. In that scene you're in front of a control panel and another character gets way too close to you but stays on the other side of the panel making it look tiny and loving up the scale of the whole scene.

Also there are small but noticeable load times between each node, transitions between nodes are pretty much instant in Exile, in Revelations it can take like half a second or something.

There are just a lot of small things about Revelations that don't really work for me. I'm the kind of weirdo who replays games constantly, I've played every other game in the Myst series numerous times (even EoA and Uru), I've probably only played Revelations two or three times.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Rollersnake posted:

Thanks, I picked it up.

I haven't played a new Myst game since Exile on the PS2 (which I never finished), and I'd rather play something completely new to me than replaying one of the earlier ones. Is it easy to just jump back into the series with Myst IV?

In my opinion Myst IV is the worst of the series (though I'm sure some would argue that's Myst V). Myst IV is kind of the last hurrah for pre-rendered adventure games, not that it was the last one but it's probably the one with the highest budget and with tons of effort put into it.

It has tons of videos and realtime effects put into every node which makes the world feel alive and animated in a way you don't really see in pre-rendered games, but all those effects lead to loading times. Where moving from node-to-node in Exile is instant it takes like a second to move in IV, which really drags down the pace of the game.

The the transitions from gameplay to full-screen video are rough as gently caress. Where in Riven and Exile it's seamless (other than there suddenly being more compression artifacts) while in IV there will be a ton of jarring changes. The camera will shift, lighting will change and geometry will be different. Also the green-screening seems poor at times, characters don't look like they're in the environment or line up poorly with elements they're supposed to be interacting with (this is especially bad during the game's climactic events).

I also think the puzzles and story kinda suck.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I like the character stuff, that's a good point. Just don't care much for the main plot.

I certainly had a problem with the loading times in the original release, I was hoping that the re-release would solve that but no dice.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I think they brought the rights to the series and the games they made themselves from Ubisoft for the ill-fated Uru Live revival with GameTap, but only recently have they managed to get the rights to Mysts III and IV which they didn't make.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's fully playable in singleplayer, mostly down to Ubisoft inheriting the game from Red Orb when they brought the Myst license and making Cyan turn it into a singleplayer game. When Uru released almost all of the content was retro-fitted into a singleplayer adventure and the multiplayer only stuff was basically a chatroom with nothing to do.
Then Ubisoft cancelled the multiplayer side entirely, so Cyan put out a free expansion which was the chatroom stuff with a small amount of gameplay shoved in to make it singleplayer. Then they put out a paid expansion consisting of the levels they they were planning to put out for the multiplayer (converted to singleplayer) that was close to completion and the stuff that wasn't so close was used for Myst V to close out the story they were trying to tell.

Some of the puzzles aren't so elegantly converted, one solution in the paid expansion is literally stand in one spot for ten minutes.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

You can just click Give and click an item and then another character's icon on the bar to transfer items. No need to go back to the time machine.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's a VR thing. Maybe it'll be good, but it's by a studio who does a bunch or AR stuff and hasn't done any games before I think?

https://happygiant.com/

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Proof, no. But Sam gave Max a VR headset. That's enough to convince me.

Also, it's being made by a studio that does AR stuff, which is adjacent.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's VR

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I didn't care much for Myst 4. It supposed to be a 'last hurrah' or what ever for prerendered Myst, it has a bunch of videos and particle effects in every node to make the world feel more alive, but that makes every time you move have a load for about half a second rather than being instant.
Also transitions to full screen video are jarring, the camera position and lighting and stuff often changes.
The whole thing feels like it has low production values to me, even though they clearly put a bunch of money into it.

Myst 5 is a sequel to Uru, made out of stuff that was supposed to be used in the MMO before it got cancelled. It was supposed to be the last Myst game after Ubisoft decided they couldn't make the series successful.
It definitely has a lower budget, but I have a bit of a soft spot for it. A lot of the game is about drawing on a tablet and making creatures do things for you. It can be a bit hard to use sometimes and the first time I played I accidentally skipped half of an age when it misinterpreted something I drew and it unlocked the end of the age.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

I forget the name, but I skipped half the age with the awesome space sky box because I drew a symbol that looked like Pac Man and it somehow confused it for the end symbol.

The kicker is that the symbol I drew wasn't even something you were supposed to draw at all, it was representing something else entirely.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 13:25 on Sep 16, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Huh, on the subject of Myst, who's ready for a fifth version of Myst?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IJs2GcbzgP4

No idea if it's a conversion of RealMyst: Masterpiece Edition or an entirely new version.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

There is a Steam page up and screen shots look loving good. It's all new.

Also not Quest/Oculus exclusive. Nice.

EDIT: Oh it's not even VR exclusive. Ok, wasn't expecting that.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 19:33 on Sep 16, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Chev posted:

Well, hopefully that finally leads to them remaking Riven in a real time engine.

There is a fan project to remake Riven in realtime, they announced last year that they're working with Cyan officially. No idea if that means that it's been upgraded to a commercial project or not though. Or if it'll even get finished.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Looks like a bunch of ex-Telltale devs got the rights to the Sam & Max games and are remastering them. Season 1 comes out on December 2nd

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIajN-DDmIk

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1440440/Sam__Max_Save_the_World/

Looking forward to being able to play these again, but in widescreen and with better sound. The original games were super compressed to under like 200 megs so the sound was atrocious.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

It's been a while since I played them, but from what I remember Season 2 has less asset reuse. It still reuses plenty, but it doesn't rely on the gimmick of "what are Sybil and Bosco up to this week?" I think.
Season 3 is more like later Telltale where each episode is pretty unique with less reuse and it's more of one story told over six episodes rather than six stories that tie-together at the end.

I think more or less all of Telltale's stuff got removed from various stores when Telltale went under, with some stuff coming back when the different rights-holders sorted it out.
I'm guessing Skunkape didn't see the point in getting the old busted ones back up if they were in the process of remastering them.

EDIT: Never mind, looks like they've put seasons 2 & 3 up on Steam. Don't see season 1, which makes sense.

Veotax fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Nov 9, 2020

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The Sam & Max season 1 remaster is out, I've played the first episode and I really like what's been done. The new lighting is beautiful and I love that Skunkape isn't being too faithful to the original game to make good use of the lighting. During the opening scene when you're interrogating the rat the lights in the room turn off and the lamp comes on giving it that cliché interrogation scene lighting and once you reach the home for former child stars the game transistions to night which really fits for the final act.

Also the audio not being compressed to all hell is a massive improvement.
The new Bosco takes a little getting used to, but it didn't take me long.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

bobservo posted:

Did they re-record the dialogue for this remaster?

His original voice actor was a white guy putting on a black voice, or however you would describe it. They got a black guy to replace him in this.

They also took the opportunity to tweak a few of Bosco's jokes since they were re-recording him, so the Steam forums are exploding with whining about censorship. Which is hilarious.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Stuff like this apparently:

quote:

Old: Take our complimentary goggles designed for special-needs children so that the little ones can play along.

New: Take our complimentary wide-fit goggles designed for playing while bicycling or enjoying full-contact sports!

Old: It's 'cause everyone on the internet has to pick an avatar, like a dwarf or an orc or an hot young fifteen-year- old girl curious about the adult world and willing to experiment.

New: It's cause everyone on the internet has to pick an avatar, like a dwarf or an orc or a troll... But we've got enough trolls.

According to the list that some idiot on those forums seems to paste in every thread.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Doesn't seem like it's a studio, just a brand to put on Lucasfilm games they've licenced out. The just announced an Indiana Jones game made by Machine Games, the studio behind the recent Wolfenstien games and that has the Lucasfilm Games logo even though it's being published by Bathesda.

I'd link it, but phone posting.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

The PC version of the new Myst remake finally has a release date! 26th August, this Thursday!

I'm hyped, been looking forward to this.

Has DLSS and RTX support, apparently.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Myst is out, I'm just going to paste in my post from the Steam thread:

Veotax posted:

There's a new remake of Myst out!

This is the fifth distinct version of Myst and the second remake.
Myst (1993) the original game
Myst Masterpiece Edition (1999) a remaster of the original game
realMyst (2000) a remake of the original game in realtime 3D. Mostly made as a test for the engine Cyan used for Uru, the Myst MMO. It's a bitch to get working on modern machines and has an awful-non standard controls scheme.
realMyst Masterpiece Edition (2014) a remaster of realMyst ported to Unity. Features improved graphics and a modernised WASD control scheme.

And now Myst (2021). Made in Unreal 4 and fully re-built from the ground up with no assets remaining from realMyst, as far as I know. It looks real pretty:

They've gone with 3D models for the characters this time, rather than trying to work FMV in. The results...aren't great I think, but I've seen worse.

The game has an option to randomise puzzle solutions, which I love. I've played Myst a ton so I remember most of the solutions, so this gives me a good reason to actually go and get the solutions rather than sight seeing, without randomised solutions the game can be completed in under a minute probably, if you know what you're doing.

Also has RTX support for Raytraced reflections and DLSS.
Haven't had a chance to play much, just walked around the island while waiting for dinner to be delivered. But it's Myst, if you've played it you know if you like it. Just here's a new, really pretty version.

Oh, it has VR support too. Think you can also toggle on a "classic" mode which takes away WASD controls and makes you move around by clicking like the old slideshow versions.

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Good news; Within a few hours of launch someone made a mod replacing the renders with the original FMV files.

It was apparently surprisingly easy too, just ripping and renaming the mp4 versions from realMyst.

This won't work for when you get face-to-face with Atrus at the end, apparently he's an animated realtime 3D model in that scene so a file replacement won't work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veotax
May 16, 2006

Holy poo poo, you can pick up both red and blue pages in at the same time in an age! No more need to go back in to grab the other if you want to get all of them!

No more having to do the maze twice in Selenitic!