Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

This is the Coast Guard's lounge thread. We can tell you a bit about joining and what it's like if you want, or feel free to contact myself via PM or whoever else is listed as a sponsor. It's still hard to get in due to high retention, but you can always give your local recruiter a shout and hopefully they'll tell you what you need to know.

Anyways, I figured we should probably have a new thread since it has been a loving year since the last one.

So yeah, sequestration, government shut-down, and everything else you can think of is dwelling on everyone. People say I'm in Operations as a Prevention Officer, but I don't see a whole lot of difference in day to day operations. Guys trying to do patrols on their boats probably see things a bit differently.

Countdown to transfer-about 9 months. Can't-loving-wait. Grass=always greener. Depending on where my next unit ends up being, I will look at getting out. But-who knows.

Edit: We need an update on Krispy-is he still alive or did he do what all the Chiefs predicted-die in a gutter because there is no life after the Coast Guard? This is important.

nwin fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Feb 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

~civ life owns bitch~

I hate (envy) you.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

I can't loving wait to be on land for 4 years and be a (bigger) lazy sack of poo poo. Sill eyeing San Francisco, New York, Seattle, San Diego and LA.

Oh and remember when I told you guys things where getting lovely on cutters? Turns out its getting so bad that cutters may end up doing a hell of a lot of Pier-side training.

The only good (actually bad) thing is that we are getting more pier-side time. :smithicide:

I'm sure the commandant must be thrilled that his cutters crews will simply 'discuss' how they would do man overboards and small boat ops. His whole proficiency thing is going right out the window.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

You can do mob training at the pier.

Not very effectively.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

Says you. It'd be a good morale boost to just shove someone over the side at the pier.

Too much paperwork.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

What about me?

Don't envy air soft bro.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

It's different when you get out on your own terms.

:drat:

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Bwahahaha that's loving great.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Interesting.

If I still paid attention to my Facebook account, I'm sure there are plenty of people linking that to each other.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah, I don't know what the right answer is if we don't get money to do the things we need. Prevention, as far as my job goes-has been pretty much unaffected from what I've seen. However, response and all that poo poo? No idea, but it doesn't sound good.

I wish Papp would just throw his hands up in the air and say 'Our boats are loving old guys. Here, we'll shut down the ships since most of the old ones are on their last legs, and we'll just TAD most people to sectors and small boat stations where we have newer boats and can do Rec Boat safety and some LMR all day. gently caress the drugs, gently caress JIATF, and gently caress you! I'm out!'

Edit: haha. I normally just browse the forums on my phone so I can just see the avatar pic and make out who it is. Seein em both now on a computer...that's awesome.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Yeah, Allen took over shortly after I graduated boot camp, but I was a non-rate not paying attention to anything other than the A-school wait list, and I was on a Polar Roller doing a deep freeze patrol, so I was completely unaware of funding issues during that time.

I'm just really hoping for the next COMDT to know about all of our missions and not just "CUTTERMANCUTTERMANCUTTERMANCUTTERMAN"

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

Add this to OP tia:

Wait a sec-so I CAN'T get free Golden Corral today!?!?! gently caress this, I'm getting out!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

loving awesome. Detailer called and said because due to working my rear end off and getting all these quals at my current unit, I might get re-assigned to somewhere in D8 again due to the need for said quals! Hoo boy, can't wait to tell the wife that one. Hello, geo-bachelor.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

At that point, you may as well move the wife down.

No man, I mean she'll move to North Carolina to be with her family instead of come down to D8 for another hellish 3 years. Especially if it's loving Houma or Morgan City. gently caress that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

I really hope it's Morgan City.

Ouch bro-what did I do to you?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Welp, Morgan City looks not so likely due to the quals I have just not being needed there. Port Arthur apparently has 4 billets and definitely could use me. Oh joy. The wife will be absolutely thrilled about a 2 hour move due east into an area full of refineries!

Done freaking out about it for the moment. Wife is heavily drunk at the moment so that's her way of coping for the night. Just gonna hope for the best and prep for the worst.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

No to rain on nwin bad news, but I got my orders and I got my first pick too! San Francisco here I come! :woop:
(Whoever says "go join Quarterly Prophet" first is a legit sick gently caress)

Also:
http://www.newsday.com/long-island/suffolk/coast-guard-reaches-stranded-montauk-fishing-vessel-1.6604053?firstfree=yes

Nice man-congrats! You're not raining on anyone's parade-I'm just realizing the detailer process for officers is quite a bit different then enlisted. I'll get over it.

nwin fucked around with this message at 17:27 on Dec 14, 2013

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Hey Krispy- did you know bm2 Gomez in the star?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

I think everybody knew a BM2 Gomez. I don't think then one I knew was the one who's going to jail forever though.

8 years-http://www.postandcourier.com/artic...-sex&source=RSS

Apparently I'm way out of the loop as I just heard about this today.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Sweet! 200 extra a month!

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Exemplary conflict resolution itt.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone happen to know how soon after I receive my orders I can request HHG?

My lease is up in April and the landlord doesn't want to extend me until June. Just trying to think of options that would get me out of paying to move all my poo poo to another place for three months before I pcs. If I get orders in March and can request hhg to put stuff into storage, then all is good. Otherwise I might be hosed. Just can't remember from the last time I pcsed.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

No matter what you're entitled (or were, I guess it could have changed) to 180 days storage-in-transit. It won't stop them from calling you every day asking if you're ready to have your stuff dropped off yet, but you can set up the move on the website for whenever once you have orders.

It also won't stop your wife from trying to kill you since all of your poo poo will be broken and packed up for 3 months before you can get to it.

Where are you going? Morgan City?

Haha no clue yet. Thanks for the info on HHG. Only thing me and two other coworkers have heard is we all received a solicitation for the CID in Guam.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So this was pretty awesome.

Got a message last night saying non-essential personnel was authorized to come in 2 hours late due to icing on roads.

That means I have to be in there at 9. Leave the house at 745 since the drive normally takes me 30 minutes. Get a call at 8:45 saying roads are still too hosed up-turn around if you are closer to home than work. However, by this point I'm stuck in traffic with no way out. Finally get out of standstill traffic three hours later and come home.

Just talked to a coworker that made it to work and she said there is zero point coming in at all since power keeps going out in our new building and all inspections were cancelled due to weather. Oh, and half of us just packed up our stuff yesterday so we won't even have anything at our desks until Monday.

Nothing like making decisions too late so everyone just ends up really inconvenienced.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

The M world is different.™

Pretty much this. I think I was treated with more power as an E-5.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Anyone's commands decide how they are going to implement group PT yet? Ours is in the process, but just saying we better workout 180 minutes/week on the honor system for now.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Elendil004 posted:

Group PT was fun when it was like, make sure your duty section plays some volleyball, or show up a few hours late after doing poo poo at the gym on Otis. It sucked when it was "off-going duty section go for a fun run"

Eh, we had a few sports days that we tried to do, but it always sucked because you had to have a standby duty team and the offgoing section just wanted to get the gently caress out of there, so it never really stuck.

I was surprised to see one of my friends professing his love for the COMDT when the mandatory PT announcement came out. He changed his tune a bit when he realized what was actually involved in having group PT mandatory.

Worst part was there is this new Beta for what a mandatory PT test will consist of, and so some of the MST's at the base decided to try it out and see how they fared. That worked well until one of em broke their collarbone that day.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Already called a snow day for tomorrow...in Texas.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Why do JOs have to ruin my love for plotting and prepping charts? :smith:

wtf bullshit are you speaking now?

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Do you honestly want to know? Its basically the most loving stupid thing done by an O ever that only my shop would get butt-hurt over.

Not really, no.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ElMaligno posted:

Apparently according to commandant instruction the drawn scales need to be exactly on the same place on all charts and can only be 5000 yards long. I read the instruction and out of all the things it mentions, scales are not one of them. This is the same O that wanted the bridge and CIC to draw a marine protected area that covers the entire chart and goes outside of the chart range. The solution was to write on the chart a blurb explaining this, still :ughh:.

Uh, so why not bring it up to your chief that the Officer may be incorrect by stating you read the comdt inst and it does not mention scale size anywhere and let him take it up if he wants?

You should probably read the Inst again just to be sure, though.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

You can't be trusted to lock a weapons vault . I'm surprised that they trusted your charting abilities.

Haha wait what?

Edit: nm I remember hearing that story.

nwin fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Feb 15, 2014

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Mr. Nice! posted:

You have got a pussy rear end CoC.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

So straight poo poo why you got kicked out then.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ugh-orders are incoming. Detailer is calling people all through the weekend but you never know when your time is going to come.

Hope I'm not too drunk for the call...this poo poo's worst than being enlisted waiting on orders.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

Most action ever in a CG Thread.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

genderstomper58 posted:

literally the only time the officer is the decent person in a service thread hooyah

I used to bbe a enlisted...

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

krispykremessuck posted:

yes, and OIC quals get yanked for dumb poo poo so they can be understandably jumpy about guns comsec and money

This is completely loving on-point, though. Officers In Charge have all the right in the world to sperg over crazy poo poo due to how often they get relieved. Looking back, it's absolutely insane the poo poo they have to know and are responsible for.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

genderstomper58 posted:

oh

*erases whiteboard*

Easy come, easy go!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think