Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.
This ties KLK as best show of the season for me, and definitely one of the best of the year.

Quick question: I didn't really follow what was going on with the discussion between Lady Koto and Inari at the beginning of the episode. Anyone care to spell it out for me? Perhaps some Fangz would help?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!

roobots posted:

This ties KLK as best show of the season for me, and definitely one of the best of the year.

Quick question: I didn't really follow what was going on with the discussion between Lady Koto and Inari at the beginning of the episode. Anyone care to spell it out for me? Perhaps some Fangz would help?
Well, Koto is pissed because from her perspective (remember how she got knocked out?), Inari has just stabbed Koto, rejected his family, the world is ending, everything is going to poo poo. However, Inari professes that he in fact still loves her, and the rest of his family, confusing her. Inari explains that the reason he is doing everything is not because he doesn't love Koto et al, but rather he hates his existence and wishes for it to end.

Lady Koto cottons on to what I posted earlier. Inari does not wish to destroy everything, only so that one way or another, his children will inherit his power and so he would die. Lady Koto says, that you know, if you are so depressed you could just *talk* to people and try to work it out somehow. At least your children deserve to hear what the hell is going on. Inari plays the big baby and says none of them would understand. Lady Koto tries to talk him out of it, saying that dude, they are your kids. Lady Koto adds that trusting the kids to figure everything out themselves is kinda too big a thing to risk the multiverse on. Inari assures her at worst, only he will be destroyed, and he isn't going to risk millions of years of jerkassitude now. He does his last words.

Then Koto beats Inari the gently caress up.

(Personally I don't get what the flower symbolises, though. The illusionary place that is the moon starting to break down?)

roobots
Dec 4, 2006

You can only think of Halloween until you die.

Fangz posted:

Perfectly concise explanation.

Yesssss thanks Fangz.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Best new anime punch.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

This show had its problems in the back half, but in the end I'm willing to forgive them because they stuck the landing. Probably AOTY for me.

Doesn't hurt that the OST is utterly perfect and above reproach, either.

Admoon
Oct 29, 2009

I can't remember the last time I enjoyed a show so much throughout every episode. What a delight this was. Probably AOTY for me too, edging out Shin Sekai Yori.

Rody One Half
Feb 18, 2011

By far the best show of the year, 10/10, you have no flaws Kyousagiga.

It also wins the award for the most :black101: main character. Koto's the coolest!

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
I got suckered in to watching this when someone described it as like FLCL in the AOTY thread. It wasn't really like FLCL outside the first episode but man this show loving owned, glad I watched it

MadRhetoric
Feb 18, 2011

I POSSESS QUESTIONABLE TASTE IN TOUHOU GAMES

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

I got suckered in to watching this when someone described it as like FLCL in the AOTY thread. It wasn't really like FLCL outside the first episode but man this show loving owned, glad I watched it

It's a gonzo, breakneck stylized magical realism show about growing up and family. It's close enough to FLCL. v:v:v

The last episode made me tear up, it was so sweet. The best kinds of magical realism stories are the ones that use the magic to get across the wonder of mundane living and this show does it in spades. It's also got an exciting world that I'd love to see more of.

Koto is the best daughter a suicidal, avoidant dad can have.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
This was a good show. Pretty Cure staff please do not stop making good shows like this

Prince of Failure
Mar 3, 2008
Jezus. Anime of the year for me. Came out of nowhere. The history of an impossibly selfish man and his impossibly selfish (and ambitious) plan turned out to be a real winner. Cried my way through the last episode and was totally satisfied. I wish other anime could offer so much in just 10 eps. Extra points for a total lack of fanservice and moe (kyoukai no kanata almost ruined anime for me this year)

Adelheid
Mar 29, 2010

I wasn't going to pay any attention to this show, mostly because of assumptions based on seeing the title of this thread and thinking "Ahhh, I'm really tired of alice-themed stuff." But a friend got to watch through it recently, and... I ended up really quite liking it. Wasn't what I was expecting at all, and was instead pretty great.

ToiletDuckie
Feb 18, 2006
I watched this yesterday and it's definitely the best show I've seen in a long time.

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit
Finally finished watching it.

A few observations:

Yakushimaru emerging from the cave is so incredibly Christian, as are generations of family inheriting divinity.

They also crib the gently caress out of Sandman, except it's much more optimistic.

Edit: vvv Pfft haha you're completely right, I'm dumb as gently caress.

Phobophilia fucked around with this message at 08:10 on Jan 13, 2014

Kaja Rainbow
Oct 17, 2012

~Adorable horror~

Phobophilia posted:

Finally finished watching it.

A few observations:

Yakushimaru emerging from the cave is so incredibly Christian, as are generations of family inheriting divinity.

They also crib the gently caress out of Sandman, except it's much more optimistic.

Um, you're doing the common thing of finding Christian themes in anime that're actually based on Buddhism or Japanese mythology. I mean, when I think of "emerging from a cave" in an anime, particularly if it's after sulking, I think Amaterasu. Likewise, divine families're found in mythologies worldwide, including Japanese mythology. And this one also has very obvious Alice in Wonderland influences.

Can't anything about the Sandman stuff since you didn't specify and it's been a while since I read that, but Sandman does crib the gently caress out of mythology in general.

mechacop
May 12, 2014

Add me on SNES Live

roobots posted:

Kyousougiga was everything I WANTED KLK to be. Great art style, stellar character development, and characters I got really invested in.
I loved how it had zero female fanservice really and was just a wholesome, beautiful, captivating tale. Sans Evangelion, no other anime has really touched me like Kyousougiga.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Please watch Kyousougiga.

• Locked thread