Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

You can see some of the scenes from Myoe's nightmare near the end of the episode and during the OP and it really does seem that he was an orphaned kid.

Malek Deneith posted:

Speaking of Yase - anyone else took note she's called second daughter? I get the feeling that "little" Koto might end up being revealed as part of family eventually :D

Is this because of how its written or something? She's the middle child, shes going to be the second. Kurama is the oldest and Yaku is the youngest.

As for kid Koto, the plot tries to put her up as a parallel to god Koto but I'm getting this weird vibe that she might be first Myoe reincarnated or something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Allarion posted:

That episode was just pure adorableness. This show is gold.

I was expecting this series to be breakneck insanity but Im pleasantly surprised about how laid back and :unsmith: it is.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Dan7el posted:

Last year's ONA showed Yakushimaru being given the Myoue powers and henceforth being called Myoue. I don't know if he can create drawings that can be brought to life, but he can certainly kick-rear end. He may be girl-Koto's guardian simply because no one else is powerful enough.

I dont think he's the guardian just because he's strong. Kurama mentions that Myoue is the most similar to her, and its not just because he's human. So that probably factor into the decision.

I still think kid Koto is probably the original Myoue's reincarnation. Or at least a part of his reincarnation. I have no idea what to make of Inari. All I know is that the head priest in the first episode used the same mask and has the same familiar.

Mind you, I haven't watched the ONAs so they might explain some of the Inari issues.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Yeah, lots of symbolism going around in this episode.

What I take from the whole "station" thing at the start is that it kinda links to what we see the priest do with current Myoue. 1st Myoue was going to do something that betrayed his position as a priest so he hands down that position to Yakushimaru making him Myoue.

I already mentioned way back when that Koto was probably Myoue's reincarnation, and a lot of the imagery in this episode alludes to that. Myoue giving her the pomegranate felt like he was giving it back to her. Also the scene changing from dark and depressing to bright and cheerful the moment Koto pops up kinda invokes a feeling that the waiting is over. I wonder if asking Koto to kill him is part of the process. For him to stop being "Myoue" and becoming Yakushimaru again.

I really want to see how this develops. Too bad we are getting a filler next episode.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Xelkelvos posted:

Except that Koto is probably the child of Lady Koto and the first Myoue (who is now probably Inari). Inari/Myoue sent Koto to Mirror Kyoto in his stead to look for her mother/his wife and just to see Mirror Kyoto in general.

Its entirely possible thats this is also the case but I have issues with it because it would make Inari a giant jerk. Maybe he has an entirely valid reason to not go back into the mirror capital, but its not something thats been explored yet.

Time wise it doesnt make sense either. Where in the time line would Myoue and Koto1 conceive Koto2 and what would change in the short time between her birth and when we saw her that makes Myoue into Inari. Or was he Inari already at the time? Its been hundreds of years since they left the mirror capital. Was Koto2 kept in a time pocket similar to the other brothers to slow/stop her aging?

Inari is still the big question in all of this for me. Maybe he's the one thats actually Myoue's reincarnation.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Ok, I thought this episode would finally give us some closure on what the gently caress is going on with the Kotos and Myoues but nope! There is still a whole lot more going on here that meets the eye.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

One of the things Im thinking about is what the Bodhisattva said about Myoue at the start of the series and whether its relevant to whats happening right now in the Mirror Capital. Whats "skewed" about him and why he needs saving. The monks words about ones position in life probably ties into this as well.

What Koto the elder mentions, that she's not what Shrine was trying to keep out leads me to believe that it was child Koto or even Inari, or possibly both. Another odd thing is that Inari's introduction in this episode was uncommonly dark, it had the same weird vibes that the scene where Myoue resurrected Yakushimaru.

I do like what they've done with Koto's simmering rage about everyone asking her to do stuff and not really explaining anything. The disbelief in her eyes when elder Koto told her to save Myoue, it must have been heartbreaking. Her following meltdown was really well done

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I think its the other way around. A Bodhisattva is a few steps short of being an actual Buddha and the being that once was Myoue would be a god.

What Inari says at the end of the preview about "I love you, my other me" is probably confirmation about my idea that Inari and Koto together form the entirety of what used to be Myoue. So whatever "accident" that Myoue went trough split him in half and took Koto1s powers with it.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Welp

I had a feeling those dark overtones surrounding Inari weren't red herrings. What a horribly bleak episode with an amazing finish. I cant wait to see what sort of resolution they can wring from this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Anyone wondering what song plays near the end of the episode, its called The Secret of My Life by Aimee Blackschleger. What a great scene.

• Locked thread