Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Yea... I think I'm gonna go watch the original to confirm what just happened.

But holy poo poo that was fantastic. You're right, this is up there right alongside KLK. And once we get the first actual episode, it's probably going to outdo this recap.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Watching this normally paced episode after the breakneck pace of the recap was kind of unsettling, but also expected. The wacky art and directing is still great, but now we get more time to experience each individual scene.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Dan7el posted:

I had already identified the three children (that wasn't difficult) but the eldest to youngest seemed reverse. In the scenes, we see Yakushimaru/Myoue arrive first and his siblings laters. Yet, Kurama is the eldest? Also, are they the natural born children of Koto and Myoue or just their idea-drawing-created children. I'm guessing the latter, but it's not crystal clear to me.

We still don't really know how or why the girl-Koto and her brothers are in Mirror Kyoto. I get the distinct impression their arrival has at least one purpose -- to shake things up and destroy the stagnant status-quo.

Also, it appears the original Myoue wasn't completely human himself. Did I read that incorrectly? That may answer a few questions. It does answer how he had the power of turning his drawings into reality. The first part of this episode spoke of a "head priest" a lot. I didn't catch any specific meaning behind it though. It seemed a bit ominous. I wonder if that will come into play later?

It's the latter. There was a scene were Karuma asks Myoe and Koto to erase their pictures so they won't exist.

She does say she came looking for the black rabbit, which is also a premise of the show. However, she also talked about planes of existence as if there were multiple and that she was familiar with traversing them. I'm confused about this because I thought she unintentionally stumbled into Mirror Kyoto but it seems like she intentionally hopped in. Makes me curious about what exactly she is, and it also makes me curious about what the original Myoe has been up to. Are the other planes his creations, just like Mirror Kyoto? What connection does he have with little Koto and her "brothers"?

I'm not sure about him either. At the very least, it's obvious he has a pretty crazy ability. I want to assume the other high ranking priests are also magical in some way, and Myoe's abilities are looked down upon, but I have no idea if that's true.

e:

Autonomous Monster posted:

Yase and Kurama are drawn, Yakushimaru is a human. It's not clear if he's their child or just an orphan they took in; I think probably the latter.

Is he really? It's pretty clear that Yase and Karuma are drawings, but it wasn't all that clear about Yakushimaru. I thought he was also a drawing.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Pizza companies do the strangest things outside of the US. Remember eating Dominoes with Hatsune Miku and having Pizza Hut while you watched Code Geass characters have Pizza Hut?

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I probably would have loved this episode a lot more if I hadn't seen the latest episode of KLK hours ago. Pretty awesome episode though, and I especially enjoyed watching that army of bumbling agents chase after the controller.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
Fantastic news. This show deserves the attention. Also I still feel a bit weird about fansubs.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Widdiful posted:

Episode 4 is on CR and it's as charming as ever. Yase's relationship with mum Koto is really heartwarming. There's just something about this show that just makes it so nice to watch and the only gripe I have with it is that all the colours make it harder to stream with my slow download speeds.

e: Also, is there any reason why CR is a day late on this? As far as I know every other show is up at the same time as it is in Japan.

It happens with some shows. I don't know the reasons behind it though

That was a wonderful episode. I really like how each episode has been more like a series of short stories from which we can puzzle out the larger plot.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
This episode was kind of strange. It didn't really make sense until the very end, but it didn't hit the same way as it did with Yase. Still a great episode, just not as good as usual.

But why does Myoue the 2nd want to be killed once mom Koto is found? drat cliffhangers :argh:

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Yeah, lots of symbolism going around in this episode.

What I take from the whole "station" thing at the start is that it kinda links to what we see the priest do with current Myoue. 1st Myoue was going to do something that betrayed his position as a priest so he hands down that position to Yakushimaru making him Myoue.

I already mentioned way back when that Koto was probably Myoue's reincarnation, and a lot of the imagery in this episode alludes to that. Myoue giving her the pomegranate felt like he was giving it back to her. Also the scene changing from dark and depressing to bright and cheerful the moment Koto pops up kinda invokes a feeling that the waiting is over. I wonder if asking Koto to kill him is part of the process. For him to stop being "Myoue" and becoming Yakushimaru again.

I really want to see how this develops. Too bad we are getting a filler next episode.

Put those two parts together and it's easy to see that Myoue is the dog forever waiting on a dead master. At one point when talking with Yase about the dog, Karuma speculates that maybe the dog intended to die along with its master. Considering that Myoue's request for Koto to kill him came after he realized that Koto's appearence did, in some sense, fulfill the promise the first Myoue made to him, we can only assume that he is as Karuma speculated.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I was fascinating to see all of the shows inspirations, especially since they're all beautiful, scenic mountain/forest shrines. I love the fact that the Myoue's dog it the grown up version of that puppy statue.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Rodyle posted:

Well then you're getting into the question of assisted suicide/euthanasia.... So I don't expect we're going to dwell on that question a whole lot, since this is a kids show. At least I think it is, given the staff? I don't know what timeslot the TV show airs.

I think this show might be just a bit too batshit insane for children to understand.

Oh, we also had 2 episodes with a kid committing suicide, so I doubt kids are the intended audience.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
It reminds me of the connection these bros have:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UU1q5VY-rGc

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I have no idea what is going on anymore. I did until the end of last episode, and this one just confused me more.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
I love you Fangz.

I saw most of the bits and pieces of the puzzle but I couldn't figure out it all fit together. Thanks for the explanation, it was most helpful.

Also, Inari is indeed an arse. BTW, what did he do to his brother, the head priest? When he did the same to Koto Jr., it allowed him to, I assume, superficially take control of her and have her destroy Mirror Kyoto. Did he just want to disable him so he couldn't interfere?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012
And so it ends. This is certainly a classic.

• Locked thread