Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SaltyJesus
Jun 2, 2011

Arf!

Pr0phecy posted:

The part that is turning me off from this game is that according to SteamStats, there are more people playing Zynga's Solstice Arena than Magicka: Wizard Wars. It's not picking up and that's kinda worrying.

Well, it's supposed to be free2play when it comes out and there is only a very limited number of free beta slots so I think a lot of people are just waiting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Liberatore
Nov 16, 2010

Would you like
to know more?

When (that's no) moon hits this guy like a big Twi'lek guy: Liberatore!
I was sent two keys and can't even play the game due to connection issues; It seemingly finds a match then drops me out. So I'm giving it some time to see if that gets fixed.

Moog
Sep 14, 2013
I'm really interested in this take on the whole spellmixing thing. Considering getting in on the beta.

But the F2P and "Ingame currency" stuff makes me wary. Anyone know what it's about?

chairbender
Sep 11, 2011

Moog posted:

I'm really interested in this take on the whole spellmixing thing. Considering getting in on the beta.

But the F2P and "Ingame currency" stuff makes me wary. Anyone know what it's about?

Don't be wary about this. The devs have said over and over that it's not going to be "pay to win", it's just going to be "pay to get things faster". And the things that you can get are intended to be balanced so that they only offer you more strategic/playstyle options and don't offer you an advantage over people who have bought less stuff.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Any of you in the beta now know of a way to force the game into training mode?
I'd love nothing more than to drop into that map again and have a good long while exploring what the spell effects do - there's enough changed here from the original that I feel like a refresher, hell, a practice dummy, would be mightily useful.

That said - we should get a steam group going for this. Anyone else in?

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Oct 20, 2013

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

Definitely in. This game is ridiculously fun.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Just had the best error message:

Connection to the server has been lost and the match has ended prematurely.
If you know what I mean.

Shall I throw together a steam group for this beauty? Yes I think so.

EDIT: Here we are!
Message me on Steam for an invite - let's get everyone in on this ASAP!

Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wussenterprises

My Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/ameatpopsicle/

DarkDobe fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Oct 20, 2013

Moog
Sep 14, 2013

chairbender posted:

Don't be wary about this. The devs have said over and over that it's not going to be "pay to win", it's just going to be "pay to get things faster". And the things that you can get are intended to be balanced so that they only offer you more strategic/playstyle options and don't offer you an advantage over people who have bought less stuff.

Still, that worries me. There'll always been tiny imbalances if players have different stats, no matter how carefully the designers try to balance it. I'm the kind of rear end in a top hat who argues that vanilla TF2 was best TF2.

I guess it's unavoidable if they want to make money with f2p, though. drat f2p games.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

chairbender posted:

Yeah, but the only people who think that's even possible and not a contradiction in terms are people who don't understand how competetive gaming works. Versatility is a huge advantage, doubly so if the game has anything resembling picking/counter-picking.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Yeah, but the only people who think that's even possible and not a contradiction in terms are people who don't understand how competetive gaming works. Versatility is a huge advantage, doubly so if the game has anything resembling picking/counter-picking.

I'm very wary of a MOBA that doesn't limit itself to only selling cosmetic options. I'll wait for this to go into open beta before I make any judgements though.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Fixed my problem by switching the game to windowed and the resolution to 1600x900. Wonderful.

edit: This game is loving fantastic

TwingeCrag fucked around with this message at 23:36 on Oct 20, 2013

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Message me on Steam or PM here for invites to the Steam group.
Let's get this wagon properly loaded!

Organized teams make this game absolutely fantastic, I've found.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
The +fire -ice (or whatever) items in Wizard Wars aren't actually as no-brainer powerful as you'd think, because your affinity for an element determines both your damage with that element and your resistance to it. Someone who dumps all their cold to max out their fire becomes really easy to freeze to death, and you can immunize yourself to fire with a single spell.

The server/party framework for this game is still kind of spotty, but I've been having a blast with it.

chairbender
Sep 11, 2011

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

That's a good point. At the moment, the game is very skill-dependent, but I wouldn't be surprised to see it changing as the player base gets more skilled. Still, the only choices you get to make right now is what gear you equip, but you do that before you even queue up for the match.

This game is ridiculously fun, especially with a team of four. Some stuff is hilariously broken, though, like the revive Magick

Diet Lime
Aug 11, 2013

by toby
How could you play Magicka and walk away wishing for a "more competitive" game?

There's no semblance of balance in Magicka, and it's unadulterated fun. I realize that only really works for a PvE coop mode, but I wish they would have just made a more expanded experience in line with that of the original, instead of trying to turn it into... well what everybody else is doing. I would have liked original Magicka campaign + extended itemization and character customization.

I'm sure it's a blast, though! In one regard, they are addressing an issue with the original - that the VS mode isn't balanced enough to be very fun. Lots of instant death.

chairbender
Sep 11, 2011

Diet Lime posted:

There's no semblance of balance in Magicka, and it's unadulterated fun. I realize that only really works for a PvE coop mode, but I wish they would have just made a more expanded experience in line with that of the original, instead of trying to turn it into... well what everybody else is doing. I would have liked original Magicka campaign + extended itemization and character customization.

I'm sure it's a blast, though! In one regard, they are addressing an issue with the original - that the VS mode isn't balanced enough to be very fun. Lots of instant death.

Because it's a really fun sort of competition! It's like how a duel between wizards really should be - you're constantly changing defences, trying different elements, physically moving to dodge attacks, and outhinking your opponent via your mastery of the complex magic system. Original Magicka actually did have a hardcore competitive scene, but it was very small and the poor netcode and UI made it very unapproachable. They even had a tournament (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4d18rNrxx3w)! Players from that group who decided to pick up Wizard Wars are quite good, in my experience (Maelstrom plays on US West).

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Diet Lime posted:

I kind of don't, which is what makes this game so out of left field. But if that's what the devs want to do I'd prefer them to do it right than get tripped up by some horrible persistent-unlock system like LoL's or the one that was inflicted on Bloodline Champions after beta.

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

I'm not really familiar with how game companies and publishers work but I did notice that this isn't being made by Arrowhead? Maybe that's why the competitive pvp seems weird compared to the rest of the Magicka franchise.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
My understanding is that they want the game to be more competitive/balanced in the sense that every unique spell combination actually does something interesting and arguably useful, which is part of the reason maximum elements have been brought down from five to three in the first place. For instance, I think they recently nerfed the damage that a QQF or QFF steam spray did since it was rendering water and fire completely pointless, and on their home forums they're inviting people to brainstorm ways to differentiate ice armor from rock armor.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
If anyone's up for some games, they should add me on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TCrag/

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

TwingeCrag posted:

If anyone's up for some games, they should add me on Steam:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/TCrag/

Twinge is now a member/mod of the steam group - message him or myself for an invite! More good wizards needed always.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Just had some awesome games with my BEAM BRO.

Protip of the day: Triple-death AOE will dispel any of the barriers around you, as well as having pretty solid damage. So next time you see a homie with double lightning resist sitting in a cloud of healing, fix that.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

TwingeCrag posted:

Just had some awesome games with my BEAM BRO.

Protip of the day: Triple-death AOE will dispel any of the barriers around you, as well as having pretty solid damage. So next time you see a homie with double lightning resist sitting in a cloud of healing, fix that.

BEAMBRO'S UNITE
Wizz all over the enemy.
QQS from one dude, RRS from the other - waterbeam + icebeam = one frozen wizard. Toss a rock at them for the sweet sweet instakill.

Other useful combinations:
QQE dropped at a distance makes a 'wall' of spouting water which knocks down any wizard silly enough to enter. GREAT detterent where landmines or even walls might not do the trick, as they can be destroyed with relative ease.

Q+ R + Q/R makes for an ice-shotgun. Not entirely certain on the difference between the QRR and the QQR variant - knockback vs damage speculated. If you want something nasty, try QRS for a multi-shot death-ice-blast. Very deadly up close!

The classic fireball DFF, or DFD, can be very handily replaced with iceballs - less damage, but can make a nice difference when you want to catch someone by surprise and slow them, if temporarily.

Practice dropping rock walls/landmines while fleeing. Very often enemies will blunder right into the latter, or waste precious time trying to bust down your barriers while giving chase. It can buy precious seconds when you are trying to heal.

Moog
Sep 14, 2013

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

As far as I'm concerned, anything that involves strategic picks shouldn't involve exclusivity, through cash shop or XP system, or whatever.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
After playing more games, I've determined that triple water spraying people out of spawnpoints so that I can capture them alone is probably my favorite thing, and let my team win a game where we only had three total kills.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

DarkDobe posted:

Twinge is now a member/mod of the steam group - message him or myself for an invite! More good wizards needed always.

It would help if you'd link the group page and maybe just hang out in chat and invite people who join.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

treat posted:

It would help if you'd link the group page and maybe just hang out in chat and invite people who join.

It's in the OP but I'll put it here again:

STEAM GROUP: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/wussenterprises

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Oh man, I didn't realize a thread for this had already been made. I've been playing this game on and off over the weekend. This game is so weird with deliberate PvP! One of the best things to do is to just sit and charge up to Meteors, then walk over to the enemy's last spawn point and just drop it there. I never seem to make it out alive, but neither do they!

chairbender
Sep 11, 2011

DarkDobe posted:

BEAMBRO'S UNITE
Wizz all over the enemy.
QQS from one dude, RRS from the other - waterbeam + icebeam = one frozen wizard. Toss a rock at them for the sweet sweet instakill.

Other useful combinations:
QQE dropped at a distance makes a 'wall' of spouting water which knocks down any wizard silly enough to enter. GREAT detterent where landmines or even walls might not do the trick, as they can be destroyed with relative ease.

That's a good combo! Me and my friends have found that, if you're interested in freezing somebody who isn't warding against it, it's actually faster to shoot a QSD (get them wet), followed by a few SDRs. SD + (element) gives you basically an exploding element ball with a very quick charge time (its range increases with charge as well). You can spam SD + (element) shots very rapidly, since you can queue up the next shot's elements while you are charging your current shot. If you're close enough to the enemy you hardly even need to charge the shot. Plus, if they're warded against cold, you can resort to spamming SDF.

If you are playing against competent players, your beam strats just aren't going to work. All it takes is throwing up an E shield and then you get knocked on your rear end and are vulnerable to some sort of retaliation. But QSD and SDR goes through that shield.

I think SDF is actually more like a "classic fireball". It's usually a better option than DFF or DDF, since I believe it does more damage (since you're mixing death into it, and death is typically the highest-damage element) yet has an AOE explosion on impact.

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
All going well, I'll be streaming some games on

http://www.twitch.tv/twingecrag

:D

edit: hopefully

double edit: maybe not

TwingeCrag fucked around with this message at 00:24 on Oct 23, 2013

Xun
Apr 25, 2010

Classic magicka! Or are the steam servers down too

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery
Actually I am in fact streaming now!

http://www.twitch.tv/twingecrag

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
New update! Copying relevant bits from the Paradox forum

quote:

Key Changes
* Connectivity fixes
* Matchmaking fixes
* Various Crash and Bugfixes
* "Crowns" wipe.

Shiny New Stuff!
* 4 New Magicks for your testing pleasure!

Teleport - Immediately teleport 10 meters in the direction you're facing. Best used when your destination doesn't contain fiery death.
Stone Prison - Raises an impenetrable barrier around its target. Useful for locking down enemies for a few moments of peace and quiet. "I'm in a stone case of emotion" (Escher respect-points for guessing the reference)
Tactical Dragon Strike - Tactical Dragon Strike - Placable 'napalm' strike. Smells, sounds AND tastes like victory!
Thunderstorm - Rain with Thunderbolts in a large area. Skillfully modeled on today's weather in Stockholm, but with added Thunderbolts!

Really don't like Stone Prison, Teleport seems weaker than Haste. The movement just isn't enough. But Tactical Dragon Strike and Thunderstorm are niiiiice.

Also, Shield-2xLightning will not save you from Thunderstorm. I learned this the hard fun way.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 16:09 on Oct 23, 2013

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

Krysmphoenix posted:

New update! Copying relevant bits from the Paradox forum

Really don't like Stone Prison, Teleport seems weaker than Haste. The movement just isn't enough. But Tactical Dragon Strike and Thunderstorm are niiiiice.

Also, Shield-2xLightning will not save you from Thunderstorm. I learned this the hard fun way.

Stone prison I can agree is nigh-worthless, especially coupled with Teleport as is.

However, I find Teleport to be amazing in the right situation - yes, Haste is more applicable in a lot of situations, but teleport lets you get in and out of stupid situations - like thunderstorms and napalm, or even across parts of the map. If you teleport to a point closer to the far 'lane' than your starting spot, you'll go the full distance. This lets you hop across the U shaped paths south of the main points, for example.

One downside of teleport is that it clears your currently queued spell - so you'll have to get good at quickly comboing up if using the spell offensively.

That said - I can only imagine people with MMO mice with programmable keys must be laughing it up. Pre-macroing the most popular spell combinations would be insanely useful at times, especially the simpler ones that you WANT to get out quickly like a rock barrier, ice lightning wall, etc.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

If you mouse over thunderstorm, it says lightning targets the tallest player. I feel like I've seen some wizards visibly bigger than others... does the game actually grow your character model in proportion to your score or am I just deaf to a joke?

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Krysmphoenix posted:

The patch notes mention rain as well. Try water shield? Does becoming wet significantly increase your chance of getting struck, or just total damage received?

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

These are the sorts of questions we'd be able to answer if the game let us make custom games/use training mode at will.

I'm growing super fond of teleport now, especially since it does such an amazing job getting you out of the two giant AOE killstreak magicks being tested, especially the aforementioned thunderstorm.

Aside - I think my favourite combo has to be QQQ waterjet, pin a dude in a corner, and drop some ice-lightning barrier ontop of them (AER).
The result is a rapidly-frozen and soon dead mage, and has the benefit of completely hosing (punny!) their own spellcasting in the meantime - especially if you remember to que up AER while you're water jetting them along.
Bonus points if you work this with a team-mate! It's a super fast way to dispatch the enemy if you can get them caught up in the stream, with little to no chance of recovery on their part.

Krysmphoenix
Jul 29, 2010
Well, it's really more Shield-2xLightning didn't completely null the damage, so Thunderstorm is not 100% Lightning damage. I think I was taking like 500 damage hits with that shield on. The enemies got like gibbed in one, maybe two hits I wasn't looking close enough.

EDIT: ^^^^
Yeah, shield spells are surprisingly lethal when used offensively and dropped straight on a wizard like that. I need to get in the practice of doing that, got my rear end handed me to today with a Death variant of that.

Krysmphoenix fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Oct 24, 2013

TwingeCrag
Feb 6, 2007

I got a Phd in Badassery

Ferrinus posted:

If you mouse over thunderstorm, it says lightning targets the tallest player. I feel like I've seen some wizards visibly bigger than others... does the game actually grow your character model in proportion to your score or am I just deaf to a joke?

It's possible to knock someone up in the air with a geyser or mines or a water spray, so you're only half misreading it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

TwingeCrag posted:

It's possible to knock someone up in the air with a geyser or mines or a water spray, so you're only half misreading it.

Except ungrounded wizards are far less likely to be struck by lightning than grounded wizards. :wotwot:

• Locked thread