Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

:sparkles: Welcome to the Precure Party! :sparkles:

Since 2004, Pretty Cure has been the magical girl show made especially for selling toys and licensed products to girls. Generally each season is a whole new show that reuses a lot of the same basic elements, similar to the tokusatsu shows that share the super hero time television block, Super Sentai Series and Kamen Rider. Each season features a team of girls who meet one or more fairies that grant them powers to turn them into the legendary warriors, Pretty Cure. They then use those powers to fight back against evil groups that threaten the Earth. Kings tend to be evil, Queens are good. There are strong themes of trust, friendship, and kindness. Along with cooking, fashion and awesome music, PreCure protect hope and love for humanity! ❤

Cure Black, Cure White, Shiny Luminous
Futari wa Pretty Cure: The one that started it all! Two girls who couldn't be more different; the sporty, outgoing Nagisa and the quiet, studious Honoko both meet fairies who turn into cellphones and give them special powers to help protect the Earth and the Queen of Light. An enjoyable show, if a little rough where the series is still finding its feet. Right from the beginning it establishes itself as different from other contemporary magical girl fare and asserts itself as its own thing. In the second season, Max Heart, Nagisa and Honoko are joined by a third girl, Hikari.

Cure Bloom, Cure Egret
Futari wa Pretty Cure Splash Star: Not seen any Splash Star. The characters look like bad knock-offs of Nagisa and Honoko, and that has put me off trying to watch it, but apparently it's really good and improves on the original! If someone else wants to write something positive up about it, I'll replace this. From the team-up movies, it looks like both girls get two Cure forms each.

Cure Dream. Cure Rouge, Cure Lemonade, Cure Mint, Cure Aqua, Milky Rose
Yes! Pretty Cure 5: I've not watched Yes! All I know is it features a sentai-esque team of five girls who become PreCure. There's a second season called GoGo! where a sixth ranger PreCure joins the team: Milky Rose!

Cure Peach, Cure Pine, Cure Berry, Cure Passion
Fresh Pretty Cure!: I've seen very little Fresh. Someone tell us about it! It looks fun.

Cure Blossom, Cure Marine, Cure Sunshine, Cure Moonlight
HeartCatch PreCure!: Probably the most recommended series for people interested in getting into the show, HeartCatch switches up the formula a little by swapping the usual personalities of the main two characters. Tsubomi is shy and looking to change her image as her family moves to a new town where she meets and befriends the outgoing and energetic Erika. They are conscripted into being PreCure by the fairies Coffre and Chypre who are trying to protect the Heart Tree from the Desert Messengers who want to wilt peoples' heart flowers and turn the Earth into a desert! Notable for stylized art that makes the characters look a bit out of place in the team-up movies.

Cure Melody , Cure Rhythm, Cure Muse, Cure Beat
Suite Pretty Cure♪: Two girls who are best friends, stop me if you heard this one before-- one is energetic and outgoing and the other more reserved and studious, Hibiki and Kanade mix things up by not always getting along. Like real friends, they often get into fights and have misunderstandings, which causes them some problem as they find themselves trying to help the cat-like fairy Hummy into finding magical notes from the Song of Happiness which have been scattered around Kanon Town when the villainous Mephisto tries to steal them to make a Song of Sorrow instead. A fun series overall and easy to recommend.

Cure Happy, Cure Sunny, Cure Peace, Cure March, Cure Beauty
Smile PreCure!: Miyuki loving loves fairytales! So much so that when the fairy Candy appears and tells Miyuki that she comes from the fairytale kingdom Marchenland, Miyuki jumps right into becoming a legendary warrior-- PreCure! Grabbing the new friends she's made at her new school, the five girls form an invincible team to take on a Big Bad Wolf, Red Oni, and Wicked Witch. This evil trio make up the Bad End Kingdom and look to cause despair in humans in order to revive their leader Emperor Pierrot and give the world a Bad End! A very enjoyable show that I highly recommend for some great characters and amazingly funny episodes.

Cure Heart, Cure Diamond, Cure Sword, Cure Rosette, Cure Ace
DokiDoki! PreCure: Mana is the student council president and spends every minute helping other people out. This worries her best friend Rikka. When Mana meets Cure Sword of the recently destroyed Trump Kingdom, the three girls along with Mana's other friend Alice fight against the Selfish Kingdom and the minions of King Selfish to find the Trump Kingdom's Queen Ange and restore the Trump Kingdom. DokiDoki had a bit of a rocky start in both the animation and storytelling department, and the swerve concerning the fifth member of the team turned some people off, but it's still had a fair share of enjoyable episodes and the characters are still great. :love:Currently Airing!:love:

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 22:31 on Oct 12, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

HeartCatch is the series that I see most often recommended to people and as you say, it's not afraid to let Cures other than Blossom finish off the monsters and the fight scenes are way more dynamic. Even late in the series the finishing attacks are used during combat or to finish off monsters after all the girls receive power ups.

Suite I feel like still had pretty good fights, if that's what you're looking for specifically, but Smile is stock attacks and Cure Happy finishing off the monsters all the way down. It's really great for everything else, though! DokiDoki starts out relying just on stock footage, but eventually lets the characters do other stuff during fights. The recent episode with Cure Rosette's father particularly stood out as being really great. But Cure Heart still has to finish everything off.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

From what I've heard of Milk's antics, she sounds like the most entertaining reason to give Yes! a go.

As for DokiDoki, at least you can take solace in the that we're in the last quarter and information on the next series should be popping up soon enough.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I wouldn't call the Doremi subs of HeartCatch agressively bad. They're better than the TV-N subs at least. And that's not even counting TV-N's horrid need to add huge graphics.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

The only thing I don't really like about Doki Doki is the aspect of the show with the baby, and all the girls taking care of the baby together. It being such a big part of it unsettles me a bit somehow.

The guy, Joe, too was pretty creepy. Calling the girls "My Sweet Heart" and the baby-- The girls bust into this strange guy's house and find a giant egg, it hatches and there's a baby-- and now the girls have to take care of it for some reason? It's easily the most :psyduck: part about DokiDoki and I'm so glad that Joe's been absent and whole deal is just sort of forgotten about.

For those who dropped the show, the baby is still around, but mostly just acts as the fairy for Cure Ace's transformation.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Justin_Brett posted:

Well, in the last few episodes there's been a thing where the girls have to keep the baby happy, or it'll cry, and make the villains stronger. And depending on how much patience you have I imagine that could become really, really tiresome, especially with the subtext it has.

I'm not sure that the crying is going to become a plot point outside of that one episode. To me it felt like just a Rikka-focused episode where the highlight was just how good at being motherly Rikka was. As Mr. Fortitude noted, Dokidoki seems to enjoy throwing out plot points and then dropping them. It's hard to say whether or not this was a one-off or part of some actual build up.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Waffleman_ posted:

Did Kobraja just give the Cures his headshot? Holy poo poo, the baddies in this series are great. :allears:

Yes, yes he did. HeartCatch is so wonderful and my only real criticism is that Professor Sabark just kind of stands around for 40-odd episodes not really doing anything important. When the plot does get to him, though, it is amazing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Tree Huffer posted:

I'm in a very small minority in that I just can't enjoy Heartcatch in any way, but I'm glad a lot of other people took enough away from it. If it gets people involved in magical girl shows, I honestly can't complain too much.

I'm glad you did take the time to complain, though! You have very valid issues with Itsuki/Sunshine's portrayal and thank you for posting them. I totally agree that her costume was really bad, especially given her personality and circumstances.

And I'd hate to think that Marine's brattyness is what your very small children in Japan took away from that character. Especially since the late season episode where she loses her Tact results in the odd message that it's okay she's a brat and doesn't clean her room and such. :psyduck:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Caithness posted:

The whole taking care of a mysterious magical baby deal doesn't really bug me. It's pretty much exactly the same situation as in the second season of Ojamajo Doremi. Anyway, this week's episode focuses on Raquel instead, which makes me happy. I was worried that his transformation was going to be completely forgotten.

It was a fun episode, though I'm not sure what the takeaway was supposed to be. Especially wirh the way Mana was so upbeat early on in stating that Raquel loves Rikka the best.

And of course fairies can't get colds. Everyone knows idiots can't get colds. :v:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

[ Spoiler for the next episode of DokiDoki. Deal with it. ]

Episode 37 of Dokidoki was pretty funny. Even though the long running plot is kind of all over the place, Dokidoki has had some fantastic single episodes. And it seems that, according to the preview, that it's picking up the what happened to Regina plot.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

There's some rumors of 'Happiness Charge' being the name of the next series, but I don't know where they come from originally. A HeartCatch or Suite -styled show would be great. Even though I did love Smile to pieces, I feel like the character relationships get a lot more focus when there are less than five cures.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Caithness posted:

Also, winged forms already? Aren't those usually reserved for the final boss? Unless that's what Regina is...

I was disappointed that this didn't come accompanied by more fabulous costumes as well.

Justin_Brett posted:

For believing someone was good deep down, you four get an upgrade...uh, and so does Ace, who didn't.

This was really, really odd. Even if she did sort of come around in the end. Ace sort of just got it by association?

It looks like next episode might possibly feature Alice's lovely pad attack she got so long ago and we were promised that it would do an exciting new thing each and every time? Isn't the point of something like that run contrary to only ever using it once? None of the attacks have been reused, but in Rosetta's case it seems even more egregious that it hasn't been used more.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Potsticker posted:

It looks like next episode might possibly feature Alice's lovely pad attack she got so long ago and we were promised that it would do an exciting new thing each and every time? Isn't the point of something like that run contrary to only ever using it once? None of the attacks have been reused, but in Rosetta's case it seems even more egregious that it hasn't been used more.

Episode 41 spoilers: Of course she doesn't use it! :psyduck: This show is so slapped together it's amazing.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm excited. Eagerly anticipating seeing what the new outfits will look like. When DokiDoki's were first revealed I thought Sword was the only one whose hair and outfit matched well.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

And it looks like 2 designs have surfaced, thanks to 3ds skins via amazon.

http://www.moetron.com/uploads/20131128_precure01.jpg
https://www.moetron.com/uploads/20131128_precure02.jpg

The designs certainly seem busy, they remind me of Smile in some ways. Hopefully this means a return to a 2-cure show.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Two to start with, then!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Those outfits don't look bad at all. This looks like it could be a lot of fun.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Cherry Flamenco

Coming off the heels of Samurai Flamenco, that form will have a lot to live up to. :v:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

What a wonderful christmas present! :sparkles:

Lisandra_brave posted:

Honey already looks like she's going to continue the tradition of yellows being best in magical girl shows.

Indeed! Ribbon's personality sounds like the exact opposite of Candy. Her tiny black ears and eyelashes makes her look kind of like a panda.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Be sure and give us a trip report! Hearing about peoples' experiences is always great.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I came to post the same video. It's okay to double post if you get new info like that! Especially with how slow this one goes.

On the topic of the VAs, Fortune is in Kyoryuger and Samumenco, right? She seems to be getting a lot of work.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Ah yes. Because only guys post on the internet. :frogout:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

^^^^That's pretty great. The ninja one cracked me up.

Spoilers for the end of Dokidoki: http://www.pixiv.net/member_illust.php?mode=medium&illust_id=41049405

This was pretty much the most amazing thing that Dokidoki has produced and I'm almost sad it didn't end right there. I couldn't stop laughing through the entire sequence that it made it hard to hear what the characters were saying.

Davi: ビームダビ!
All: じゃない!

That being said I'm so ready for Happiness Charge. Only one more episode of Dokidoki left!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Yeah, that excludes Cures Echo, Flower, Gorilla, Candy, and any obscure, single episode or otherwise non-main Cure. It will certainly be the 33 Cures in the OP. It's odd that the article calls out Echo specifically.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I'm glad you're enjoying it so much! Heartcatch is a great ride, and you're just getting started. It's the most-recommended entry show to PreCure for a reason.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Last episode of DokiDoki just aired. Ahhhhh, so bad. Mana just beats the crap out of the badguy. No love here. And she reverses her heart getting taken over with selfish energy-- just because. A commercial break was all it took. Not the love of her family, friends, and neighbors who have gathered. Nope. Mana is just the best forever. How fitting that she did a Tendou Souji-style Rider Kick. Last week's episode was funny and had a lot of redeeming features, but not today.

Next week: Happiness Charge!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Overall I'd say that while most of the individual episodes were entertaining, it was the big picture plot that was troubled. It felt like they were flying without a real plan most of the time, and things would change suddenly for no reason at all.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

So, my first thoughts is that Happiness Charge is really, really Heartcatch. From the Saiark to the Fairies there's a whole lot that left me feeling that the show was copying left and right. This isn't a condemnation, necessarily. The episode was still fun and interesting, but I just didn't expect that so many elements would be re-used.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

I like that the transformation sequences have a sort of salon feel to them, with the giant glowing frock they wear until the outfit is done, then gets thrown off in the end. All it's missing is Ribbon with some scissors styling their hair. :sparkles:

aers posted:

Doremi are pretty bad but so far they're the only group who are picking up HaCha.

Could be worse! Could be TV-N!

Potsticker fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Feb 2, 2014

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lisandra_brave posted:

There aren't any subs yet, so we have no idea.

Anyway, being very Heartcatch isn't a bad thing. Not for nothing is Heartcatch recommended for new watchers.
Did anyone else notice that parts of the real world were converted to whatever kind of terrain the bad guys wanted? Does this mean that the cures (other than princess, who already has) might fail from time to time?
What if this turns into Gaim Precure? Or better, Decade Precure, with form change cards.

I thought Decade Precure was a certainty since the cards were revealed! It's interesting that the show starts with both the PreCure and badguys being common knowledge and part of everyday life rather than just appearing from another world in the first episode. It feels like a natural progression from Heartcatch giving the PreCure in its series a lineage and history.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

dordreff posted:

Just watched the first episode with subtitles, man this is great. Excellent designs and fun characters. Hope it doesn't mess it up like Dokidoki did. I also really hope another group picks it up, "Terribad" is really annoying me.

Terribad is modern childish slang, I think it fits pretty good. At the very least it annoys me less than some of the localization decisions made in a certain tokusatsu show.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Lisandra_brave posted:

What, Ryouma Wärring isn't to your liking?

I love that he did that, actually. It's so absurd that it floated into hilariousness.

As far as PreCure goes, what are the points of contention? I haven't watched the subs yet, but I can't imagine there being anything to create any problems. Or is it just personal drama between people working on them?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

dordreff posted:

It bothers me a lot more, probably just because it's repeated more often. Also it doesn't lend itself to anything as funny as "Ryoma Wärring".

When I think about it, it's weird that I thought it was dumb that Griton was changed to Ornac given that I had no qualms about Majolina's localization in Smile. I guess it really depends on how much of the show you're watching you're listening to-- and how much you expect to be discussing it with either term.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

The secrets of the Happiness Charge transformation, revealed!

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Two episodes in and the pink Cure still hasn't defeated a monster! This is right up there with HeartCatch for turning the Pink/Blue dynamic on its ear. Hime is also giving Tsubomi a run for her money as the Worst PreCure in history. :v:

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

wateyad posted:

Nah, the character dynamic is basically as normal. Pink is the heart of the team and Blue provides contrast. What they DO seem to be doing, that it's really, really dumb that Pretty Cure hasn't properly done before, is actually for real having two equal focus main characters.

What Heartcatch did was actually a lot more clever than just flipping a relationship around. It left what the colours meant alone while seeing how far away from the norm it could get the characters while still having them fill those roles. It did the same thing with Yellow (the extra cutesy one) too.

You're right, looking it from that perspective Pink is still the heart and Blue provides contrast, but rarely is that contrast a more negative one. I hope we get to see Princess grow to be less bratty and self-centered, though given Erika's lack of any real development in that area I'm not exactly getting my hopes up.

wateyad posted:

Worst Precure Rankings
  1. Berry
  2. Princess
  3. Blossom
:colbert:

I haven't seen Fresh, so I'll bite. What was so bad about Berry?

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Episode 4:
Ninja PreCard was hilarious. Smokebomb de gozaru! And Lovely was pretty brutal holding those Choiark by their collars and slamming their faces into the Saiark. It's still really fun. Though the form changes continue to be dissapointing. I guess they're just going to be used to take out masses of Choiark? I don't get why the CG is being used at all.

As for the OP: Cure Moonlight! Or at least, just her face. She was oddly close to the camera for her whole intro. Black, Dream, Passion and Moonlight is the order so far. So odd.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

aers posted:

Ugh this is a really good PreCure and I hope the ratings pick up after falling off hard last week.

Say it isn't so! Hapuri has had a good four episodes now, and it's been fun so far, so I'd hate to think it wasn't doing well ratings-wise. I wonder what is turning viewers off about the show, or if it's just the same ratings slide that PreCure has been suffering.

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

aers posted:

HaCha 1 - 5.8
HaCha 2 - 5.4
HaCha 3 - didn't rank in top 10; cutoff was a 4.6 so its below that

You're right that ratings are just down in general (its not just PreCure, ratings have been trending down for the majority of anime for the past 10+ years at least). Historical PreCure data can be found here.

Oh, I see that chart posted from time to time, but not since DokiDoki ended. It looks like it doesn't have 48 for some reason. That one was pretty great and a good finale for the show.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Potsticker
Jan 14, 2006

Twelve by Pies posted:

isn't just so Hime can constantly go "Oh no I must avoid Seiji because I can't fall in love!"

Given Hime's personality, I can't ever see this being a thing.

• Locked thread