Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

Hi. I forgot your name. Whatever.
My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

BigTwofer1 (Click box art to go to post)

Latest Updates
Sleeping Dogs - Complete!

Extra: Our discussion on why Sleeping Dogs is so good compared to other GTA-style games

Bioshock Infinite - Complete!

For the last two years, my LP team has done multiple LP threads at once several times. This time it's Travis (BigTUnit1)'s turn with simultaneous LPs of Sleeping Dogs and Bioshock Infinite. But instead of managing two separate threads, we're just gonna keep them together right here. It's a BigTwofer1!

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---Game Description---
Sleeping Dogs is an open world sandbox game set in crime-riddled Hong Kong. If you've played any of these games, you probably know what to expect (for reference, the original title of the game was True Crime: Hong Kong). It's fun to play and to watch, though, as the gameplay is tight and the story and acting are all very strong. The game is also riddled with douches.

The story is such:
You are Wei Shen, a Chinese-American cop who goes undercover in Hong Kong to take down the Triad gang, the Sun On Yee. The plan is for Wei to get in good with the leader douche Winston, all the while whittling down the gang's influence. However Wei walks right into the middle of a civil war, as prince douche Dogeyes has splintered off into his own faction of the Sun On Yee, and even more of the leader douches are vying for the spot of chairman. Wei must skirt the line between his devotion to the Triads and to the police force, all the while doing reprehensible things regardless of the mission. And wearing stupid clothes.

---LP Description---
Since there's so many side missions compared to story missions, Travis will simply do whatever missions he feels like doing at the time of recording. There will be at least one story mission per video, though.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Extra: Our discussion on why Sleeping Dogs is so good compared to other GTA-style games

(By an-artist-complex)

(By Epee Em)

(By Ninjathehedgehog800, YouTube)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Aug 31, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

---Game Description---
Bioshock Infinite is a first-person shooter/adventure game set in the fictional flying city of Columbia. Gameplay follows the original Bioshocks closely: use of guns, bizarre powers (Vigors, in this case), a very brutal melee weapon. Where Infinite takes a detour is the Skyhook, one of the most exciting modes of transportation in recent gaming (which doubles as the aforementioned melee weapon), and your partner Elizabeth's...powers. More on that later.

But where the game shines on its own is the story and the presentation of the city, its inhabitants, and Elizabeth. It's an engrossing, and potentially uncomfortable, romp through themes of infinite universes, racism, spirituality, and fate.

The story is such:
You are Booker Dewitt, a private investigator who has been sent to the flying city of Columbia to find the mysterious girl, Elizabeth, to pay off his mounting debts. He enters a world ruled by patriotism-turned-religious zealotry, and he is quickly marked as a false shepherd by the inhabitants, destined to lead the future prophet astray. Thus begins a self-fulfilling prophecy of everyone attacking you, so you destroy the city and rescue Elizabeth, who is being pampered into the future prophet. Way to go, Columbians.

Does the story stay that simple? gently caress no.

---LP Description---
We intended to have two versions of each video: voice-commentated and subtitled, but we failed to actually hold onto the raw footage to do the subbed versions, so this is an all-commentated playthrough. Don't stress though; our commentary alternates just as easily from chaotic snark to serious, thoughtful discussion on the game's writing and design. If you would still prefer a quieter LP that better emphasizes Infinite's atmosphere, we recommend Sundowner's LP.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

(By an-artist-complex)

(By SilverDelta, Tumblr)

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Nov 15, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
This week, let's begin Bioshock Infinite:

Subtitle commentary coming later on Travis' solo channel, since the usual edited commentary version would be slapdash at best with this kind of game.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Frisky, indeed.

If stealing a van full of watches is "frisky".

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This week Travis gets off his medication just in time to have a rampage across the city.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I hear some suspicious LEG BREAKING in the distance!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

COP.

Some video problems early on, but they sort themselves out after the race. Travis got a new computer between recording this and us commentating it, so recording footage is a dream for him now. Bioshock Infinite returns next week as well.

I decide early on in this video that this is my new favourite LP of ours. You'll see why.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thunderfinger posted:

I'm liking the new microphone Thorn, but I think you're a little quiet, you should turn it up just a bit and it would sound a little better.
Oh yes I forgot to mention, it's the same microphone but we always record the skype call itself. However my setup got hosed when I upgraded to Windows 7, so I tried recording with Audacity, which was always treacherous with my old setup. It worked out well so we're going to try that fully later.

Also I'm quiet, not the mic. Believe me, I pushed the volume in my editor to as far as I'm willing to let it go.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Booker's got some freaking strong arms.

Reminder: the subtitle commentary will go up on Travis' channel and on his own time. But seeing as he doesn't have a lot, I can't guarantee it'll happen.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
The picture I mentioned in the last part:

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

This week we spend some quality time getting to know Elizabeth. Turns out she's about as ADD as Agro.

Also I'm out of my funk for the most part, so Majora's Mask will be coming back this weekend as well. I made a post on our Tumblr about some other goings-on with the channel.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 24, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shen: crime cop, date master, and superhero!

cool breeze - clear skies - I boned an Asian

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

bunnyofdoom posted:

Just so you know, I picked up my copy of sleeping dogs, and now everytime I do something stupid or sociopathic, I seem to loudly say "COP" out loud. drat you Travis!

That's as good a segue to this picture as any:

E: New parts coming this weekend, if the constant render issues let up.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shen: Wedding Planner

Things get even more shocking and intense this week. But first: cakes, flowers, and the return of a flu conscious Crazy Fedora Man.

Audio might be quiet during cutscenes on the edited version. Had to have Travis put the commentary into the videos due to the source vids glitching out on my end.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Bioshock Infinite update coming this weekend

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shen: Winston

Look at what I forgot to upload for two months.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Also this adorable murder:

E: Sleeping Dogs update on the previous page.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Slate? SLAAAAAAATE!

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shen: Doctor

That screencap ended up being more perfect for that than I expected.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
With the even funnier next two parts.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shen: Red Pole

We get properly initiated into the Sun On Yee, and Jackie's life goes to poo poo.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Without spoiling anything, Travis told me today that he recorded through to the end of the story for Sleeping Dogs, so we have just a handful of parts left now. But he's also doing the DLC, so we still have plenty of ridiculous forthcoming.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shen: Banana
Or Bruce Lee apparently. Someone like that.

Also this is the single funniest video we've ever done. Do watch this one uncut.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
I recently got my own copy of Sleeping Dogs. Have some Bathos.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shen: Feng Shui Expert

Alternately - Wei Shen: Feng Shui Disaster or Feng Shui Bastard

Two more parts, and we'll be done with the story. Then it's on to the DLC.

ThornBrain fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Jun 26, 2014

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Shoeless posted:

Edit: Also in part 12, the reason Wei doesn't take a boat to follow Ilyana is presumably because it would be drat suspicious if the guy took her and then you just immediately tailed him in plain sight to where he was going. Whereas going by motorbike he won't see you, and then you can get a boat to get to where his place is once he's arrived and you know its location. So that makes some sense. Now, why you didn't just go buy some fancy cell phone or something and bug it and use that as the bet instead of a person, I have no idea. Because excitement, I would bet.

With Ilyana he's more likely to go straight to where he's keeping the rest of the girls to drop her off.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shen: Sheriff

AKA John Wein

Next week we wrap up the main story.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Thus concludes the main story of Sleeping Dogs. We followed this up with a discussion on why Sleeping Dogs is so good compared to other GTA-style games.

Next time: The Zodiac Tournament

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shenpai

This is gloriously ridiculous. I recommend watching the edited version to at least hear the intro music.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

I'm thinking of dropping the subtitled version and instead having Travis re-send me the raws, then I'll just upload those. Anyone especially against this idea?

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Just because I don't expect the subtitled version to actually happen anytime soon.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shen: Ghost Detective

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Next week's DLC is much more what we were hoping for.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Wei Shen: SUPER COP!!!
Or:
Wei Shen: Detective

Disappointed by Nightmare at North Point? This will make up for it considerably.

Unless you live in/follow the events in Ferguson, then this update might seem incredibly poorly timed.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
It supposedly did finish processing before I made it public. If it hasn't caught up by tomorrow I'll re-upload it.

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.

Samizdata posted:

You guys have me busting up. All I can say is -

StrawhatYES!

(Seriously, what;s the story behind that name?)

The Mugiwara in Yoshi's username means "straw hat" in Japanese (he's a One Piece fan). He made a YouTube account with the name, but the registration page arsed up, and he had to make another one that he called MugiwaranoYoshi. We started our LP channel and couldn't think of a name, so we played around with Mugiwarano and came up with StrawhatNO. It was so nonsensical that we had to use it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThornBrain
Jan 25, 2011

My... point is...
Hi. Your head's on fire.
Don't worry guys. Our individual usernames aren't interesting either. Mine is literally just something I thought up because I wanted a weird username.

• Locked thread