Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«232 »
Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT HOW I GHOULISHLY CELEBRATE THE DEATH OF CHILDREN TO TEACH THEIR PARENTS "A LESSON"

There've been trip reports of Kenji's shoulder SV > Smoke where the smoke step really did overcook it though. I think you'll need to check how your connective tissue is post bath and judge from there. An ice bath pre smoke changes things as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

I can probably get my smoker to hold 180F, which should minimize the overlook I hope.

Thanks, all very helpful!

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

METAL GEAR!?

Subjunctive posted:

There was a thing earlier in the thread where the SV Everything folks testes different treatments of frozen food, and cook-to-temp-from-frozen came out worst.

Sous vide oysters, eh?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

careful now

Cybernetic Crumb

Dewgy posted:

Sous vide oysters, eh?

Hmm.

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

We are having a Fourth of Korea party next week and we'll be making Korean-style galbi on the grill, using Maangchi's marinade recipe. I've been thinking about puddling the short ribs for a few hours to make them more tender rather than chewy, and I have a few questions...

Since the ribs will be cut laterally, there's a higher risk of them just falling apart when I go to take them out of the bag. Should I use temp/time guidelines for regular short ribs, or go for a lower temp or time? And, should I puddle them with the marinade, or maybe puddle the day before sans marinade, then marinade in the fridge overnight?

Or...is puddling overkill? I've never made or even tasted proper galbi so maybe the chewiness of short ribs is desirable in this recipe.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Someone earlier asked about patting dry and I also want to know. I just use a bunch of paper towels typically but it never feels as bone dry as I'd like. Is there a secret or better way to do it?

Also what oil does everyone use for pan searing. I was thinking about trying out avocado oil since it has such a high smoke point I can get it ripping hot.

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

I use refined safflower oil.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!

Grimey Drawer

Canola works for me. With a last second addition of of butter to enhance crust building for steaks.

«232 »