Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«245 »
Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!

SubG posted:

I'm just saying all of this because I think that using sodium citrate is one of the few modernist/molecular techniques that absolutely should be in every home cook's repertoire. And it's really dead simple and I wouldn't want anyone to be scared off because they think it's super complicated.

It won't be common until it has a non-scary name like "sauce powder", ala baking powder. This is actually the first I've heard of it, is there a good beginner place to check out or just hit google?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Sentient Data posted:

It won't be common until it has a non-scary name like "sauce powder", ala baking powder. This is actually the first I've heard of it, is there a good beginner place to check out or just hit google?
What kind of information are you looking for? Specific recipes, science poo poo, or what? Because in terms of the basic method (liquid + sodium citrate + cheese + heat = cheese sauce) there's not a lot else to talk about.

The most common application that's used to introduce the method is probably mac & cheese. So looking up modernist mac and cheese on seriouseats or whatever will get you to a specific recipe and probably a little blurb about sodium citrate (more likely than not to incorrectly call it an emulsifier, which it is not, but whatever). Here's Myhrvold's version if that helps.

You can get a bag of sodium citrate off amazon, any of a number of places that specialize in modernist poo poo, and nowdays sometimes in snootier grocery stores.

poop dood
May 31, 2011

$#$%^&@@*!!!

Put some sodium citrate in your hollandaise and you could boil that poo poo and it wouldn't break. It's insane.

sterster
Jun 18, 2006
nothing

Hauki posted:

So my parents decided they want a circulator for Christmas - Iíve got a ton of more in-depth cookbooks like MC etc. but does anyone have recommendations for ah, more approachable sv books? Theyíre fairly competent cooks, but Iím looking for some other gift options and I donít think they would get a ton of use out of any of the books I have on my shelf currently.

I have this book my wife purchased for me and I really like it. https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Ho...DSPF0FS6ME9EWQE

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

She's a sharkmouth clam
beware
she is

Just finished seven bags of 72 hour clod for tamales (in two cookers, both 145.5F). Had my first instance of lactobacillus in one of them. The bag was inflated like a balloon, and had no leaks at all.

Opened the bag and had that signature cheesy smell - like the best aged Parmesan or funky Bleu. A little reading told me that it was probably safe to eat, but the wife insisted that we dump it to be safe (she found the smell to be more vomit than cheese).

Anyone else have this happen? Is there anything I could have done to avoid it?

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

WELCOME, YOUNG MISTRESS.
HAVE YOU COME TO BUY?
OR PERHAPS TO SELL?

Grimey Drawer

Ultimate Mango posted:

Just finished seven bags of 72 hour clod for tamales (in two cookers, both 145.5F). Had my first instance of lactobacillus in one of them. The bag was inflated like a balloon, and had no leaks at all.

Opened the bag and had that signature cheesy smell - like the best aged Parmesan or funky Bleu. A little reading told me that it was probably safe to eat, but the wife insisted that we dump it to be safe (she found the smell to be more vomit than cheese).

Anyone else have this happen? Is there anything I could have done to avoid it?

huh, what were you cooking? if it was sufficiently massive/cold when you put it in a 145ļ bath it could have taken a while to get to temp and stop/inhibit reproduction.

For relatively long/low cooks you can try presearing or blanching to kill or at least massively reduce surface contamination (which is usually the issue when dealing with whole muscle cuts of meat).

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

She's a sharkmouth clam
beware
she is

Oneiros posted:

huh, what were you cooking? if it was sufficiently massive/cold when you put it in a 145ļ bath it could have taken a while to get to temp and stop/inhibit reproduction.

For relatively long/low cooks you can try presearing or blanching to kill or at least massively reduce surface contamination (which is usually the issue when dealing with whole muscle cuts of meat).

Beef clod. It was actually in a good spot in the bath, plenty of circulation, etc. it wasnít more than 4Ē thick, but it was one of the thicker pieces. I could swear it didnít start floating or inflating until like 52 hours in or more. It was two odd shaped pieces so maybe that left a spot or gap for air and growth.

I may boil each bag for a few seconds next time before starting to cook.

I kind of regret not having a taste...

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

I like my Mapp torch but Iíve been wanting to try a heat gun. Is there a ďthe oneĒ I want to try and get?

[Ed] follow up question: is sodium hexametaphosphate the same as citrate? Do I use the same quantity in the same way for the same recipe?

Feenix fucked around with this message at Dec 15, 2018 around 03:57

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

In other news Iím doing 6 Maine lobster tails in the puddle for Xmas eve dinner. poo poo cost a pretty penny out here in Seattle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Is there a good sous vide black garlic recipe or should I just bust out the slow cooker?

«245 »