Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Ultimate Mango posted:

I put a loaf of sourdough in there right after it came out of the (Anova precision) oven. Impossibly crackly skin with amazing soft interior.

Trip report on the precision oven? I want one

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah I am really tempted by that thing too but don't understand the benefits over traditional puddling + an oven.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Ultimate Mango posted:

I put a loaf of sourdough in there right after it came out of the (Anova precision) oven. Impossibly crackly skin with amazing soft interior.

You put the bread in the chamber vac?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

sparkle and shine

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Yeah I am really tempted by that thing too but don't understand the benefits over traditional puddling + an oven.

First: steam. Keep things (fish, proofing or baking bread, etc) perfectly moist while cooking them, and then switch to the broiler to crisp without having to break the salmon into pieces getting it out of the bag. Also, just throwing vegetables on a tray at 220F/100% steam for 10ish minutes, no messing with steamer baskets or a pot.

Heats up faster than a full-sized oven and holds temp quite precisely. I think it generates and exhausts steam to “spend” heat if it goes over temp, even.

Mine is very much a one-dot-oh product and really doesn’t connect to the app, but with that and the water tank cracking fixed it’s a great appliance. We hardly use our main (Thermador) oven at all, and lament its slow heating and inaccuracy when we do.

We cross-shopped against various convection toaster ovens of roughly the same size, and I’m glad that we went with this one, even with its rough edges.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Subjunctive posted:

We cross-shopped against various convection toaster ovens of roughly the same size, and I’m glad that we went with this one, even with its rough edges.

If one is in the market for a convection toaster oven, do you think it's worth the extra cost to step up to the Anova? I love the idea of getting rid of the waste associated with traditional sous vide and the worry over my lovely vac sealer. Giving away/selling the small air fryer, the sous vide stick + accessories, and paring down to just one device sounds appealing.

I wish they were for sale via Amazon, as I've got a bunch of points + gift certs to cash in on, tho

qutius fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Apr 9, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

qutius posted:

Trip report on the precision oven? I want one

It’s awesome. Get it. I’ve used my “real” oven once since getting the APO

Zarin posted:

You put the bread in the chamber vac?

Yes. Straight from the oven.

Subjunctive posted:

First: steam. Keep things (fish, proofing or baking bread, etc) perfectly moist while cooking them, and then switch to the broiler to crisp without having to break the salmon into pieces getting it out of the bag. Also, just throwing vegetables on a tray at 220F/100% steam for 10ish minutes, no messing with steamer baskets or a pot.

Heats up faster than a full-sized oven and holds temp quite precisely. I think it generates and exhausts steam to “spend” heat if it goes over temp, even.

Mine is very much a one-dot-oh product and really doesn’t connect to the app, but with that and the water tank cracking fixed it’s a great appliance. We hardly use our main (Thermador) oven at all, and lament its slow heating and inaccuracy when we do.

This is a good post

qutius posted:

If one is in the market for a convection toaster oven, do you think it's worth the extra cost to step up to the Anova? I love the idea of getting rid of the waste associated with traditional sous vide and the worry over my lovely vac sealer. Giving away/selling the small air fryer, the sous vide stick + accessories, and paring down to just one device sounds appealing.

I wish they were for sale via Amazon, as I've got a bunch of points + gift certs to cash in on, tho

Get the APO. Get rid of the “air fryer” since the APO does that. Keep the sous vide and vacuum sealer, since I have had two puddles and the APO going all at once.