Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

mls posted:

Just picked up 2 pork butts from Costco since they have the $5 off deal going on right now. Was considering doing Kenji’s sous vide carnitas recipe. I’ve read some of the comments that say 165 can come out dry. Does anyone have any experience cooking it at 160?

I stopped doing this particular recipe sous vide and started with the pressure cooker. Much better for some reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

mls posted:

Just picked up 2 pork butts from Costco since they have the $5 off deal going on right now. Was considering doing Kenji’s sous vide carnitas recipe. I’ve read some of the comments that say 165 can come out dry. Does anyone have any experience cooking it at 160?

This might not be helpful because I have never done this carnitas recipe, however, I have done several Costco pork butts sous vide at 165F for 20-24hrs and then finished on the smoker for 2 hours for BBQ pulled pork and it comes out amazing every time. The citrus and ingredients in the carnitas might affect that though.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Ultimate Mango posted:

I stopped doing this particular recipe sous vide and started with the pressure cooker. Much better for some reason.
I also have historically done pulled pork in the instant pot, which comes out great, but am thinking of trying SV next time.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Nthing sous vide pulled pork, couple hours in the smoker and my wife is always asking me to do it. It’s been a big hit with family and friends since I started doing it.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
Duck legs!

36 hours at 155 F, at which point it looks extremely gross when you blorp them out of the vac bags and scrape off all of the fat that has rendered out. But then they crisp up real nice under the broiler and you can use the fat to roast potatoes in.

Paracaidas
Sep 24, 2016
Consistently Tedious!

mls posted:

I'm a couple days late on this but for other thread readers I strongly recommend adding at least cumin to Kenji's recipe. It's one of the few of his that I think comes out a bit bland otherwise.

It's also a great one to go multipurpose in the water bath on if you're going for the texture at the higher temps--which makes it a favorite showoff dish for sousvide curious friends. Pop over the night before, and start the bath at a lower temp at 7-8pm with the pork and a couple steaks. Once your steaks are done, sear those up and eat them to show off the juicy, low maintenance, and edge to edge cooking and kick up the water bath temp. Before you go home, bag and butter carrots for your friends to toss in the next morning and show back up around noon to finish and shred the pork and marvel at the unprecedentedly carroty carrots!

bizwank
Oct 4, 2002

mls posted:

I just made this (165F for ~22hrs) with the same butts and it was plenty moist even after crisping under the broiler, though it's easy to dry it out if crisping too long so maybe that's the source of the comments you're seeing? I'm probably doing 145 next time cause I generally prefer chunks to shredded.

Paracaidas posted:

I'm a couple days late on this but for other thread readers I strongly recommend adding at least cumin to Kenji's recipe. It's one of the few of his that I think comes out a bit bland otherwise.
Yeah it was a little bland right out of the bath, but I attributed that to under-salting, and adding a little more after shredding really perked it up. I got another 4lbs of shoulder in the freezer though so I might add some cumin next time. And remember to salt more liberally.

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

I ordered some takeout earlier this week (Tuesday), including a half pound of smoked pork shoulder, ready to pull. I've kept it in the fridge all this time. If I want to sous vide it this afternoon, what temp should I shoot for - 145? 165? 203?

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

TITTIEKISSER69 posted:

I ordered some takeout earlier this week (Tuesday), including a half pound of smoked pork shoulder, ready to pull. I've kept it in the fridge all this time. If I want to sous vide it this afternoon, what temp should I shoot for - 145? 165? 203?

145 should be fine to re-heat it.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
i am always cautious of adding too much salt when sous viding pork shoulder, at what point does it get hammy?

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy
cause a little soy sauce in kenjis carnitas would be good

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

The Walrus posted:

i am always cautious of adding too much salt when sous viding pork shoulder, at what point does it get hammy?

It won’t get hammy unless you add pink salt.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

If I'm vacuuming something, do I season the meat prior to it going into the freezer? Or after it's been cooked and I hit the pan?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Definitely before it goes in the freezer. The vacuum sealing process can actually help to force the flavor of the seasoning into the meat.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

The Walrus posted:

Might wanna check me on this, but I think the rule of thumb is 1/2 tsp salt to 1 lb meat. If bone-in, subtract weight of bone.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

If you got a scale that does it, or if you’ve a fetish for mental math I encourage trying to salt meats by % weight.

.6% salt for a standard meal, .8% for a meal I want to have more impact, and 1.0% for restaurant-level flavor.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Definitely before it goes in the freezer. The vacuum sealing process can actually help to force the flavor of the seasoning into the meat.

Do you have to worry about salt in this case?

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

life is killing me posted:

Might wanna check me on this, but I think the rule of thumb is 1/2 tsp salt to 1 lb meat. If bone-in, subtract weight of bone.
I think it depends on whether that is ground salt, sea salt, or kosher salt

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I think it depends on whether that is ground salt, sea salt, or kosher salt

True, going by weight is probably the way to go honestly

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Well it seems like my polyscience sous vide is not able to heat my water bath properly

Rip, it's been used occasionally for 9 years.

Is there anything I can do to fix it or should I just get an Anova

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

BraveUlysses posted:

Well it seems like my polyscience sous vide is not able to heat my water bath properly

Rip, it's been used occasionally for 9 years.

Is there anything I can do to fix it or should I just get an Anova

There’s probably lots of things that could be broken or repaired, but unless you know how to do that already it’s probably not going to be worth the time and frustration trying to get it working again.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Joule is superior imho. It heats up much quicker and needs much less water. Having to use your phone to control it sucks, but is worth it.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah I'm not going to spend that kind of money and not get real loving buttons

I dug around on Google and it looks like corrosion can build up on a certain wire so I I'll open it up and look before trying to replace it

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

The Anova has an app but I never use it. In fact the wifi lost its setting and I've never bothered to fix it.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Yeah the anova app never seems to work right. Honestly, every time I have to use my parents' anova, it's just a drag compared to the Joule, even with the buttons.

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I'll vouch again for the InstaPot sous vide STICK that I've used for 2 years now and it has buttons and no phone app :clint:. I use it in a med-large tub thingie with a cover.
It has nothing to do with their InstaPot, really although it would fit nice in there for a smaller bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Slim...859&sr=8-3&th=1

I have the original but it looks like there is a newer one now (still with buttons).

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 22:40 on Mar 29, 2022

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Yeah the anova app never seems to work right. Honestly, every time I have to use my parents' anova, it's just a drag compared to the Joule, even with the buttons.

Very strange. And it can’t control two machines at once still.

Extra strange since the APO app is pretty great.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

Yup same problem a few others on Reddit had posted about. My dad likes fixing this kind of stuff so I’ll have him take care of it

Sportman
May 12, 2003

PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS...
PILLS!!!
Fun Shoe

Keyser_Soze posted:

I'll vouch again for the InstaPot sous vide STICK that I've used for 2 years now and it has buttons and no phone app :clint:. I use it in a med-large tub thingie with a cover.
It has nothing to do with their InstaPot, really although it would fit nice in there for a smaller bag.

https://www.amazon.com/Instant-Slim...859&sr=8-3&th=1

I have the original but it looks like there is a newer one now (still with buttons).

My original Anova died and I replaced it with this one - it's great. I'd definitely reccomend it.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

What's the best way to finish off something that's been puddled in a marinade that is prone to burning? I'm thinking I'd like to put some chicken breasts with Nando's marinade in vacuum bags to end up with something that's nowhere near as dry as they do it in the restaurants, but haven't really done any stuff with marinade sous vide before.

Also, how long is too long with such a marinade? I was sure I'd seen a Serious Eats article on the subject of marinading chicken in citrus but haven't been able to find it upon looking just now. I seem to recall it starts to break it down a bit too much past a point.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012
Did you mean this article? https://www.seriouseats.com/the-science-of-yogurt-marinades

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I think I might be conflating that article and something I've seen someone say in a video in that case. It doesn't sound like there'd be a problem anyway, so I'll go ahead and do my usual bag/seal/freeze and I'm sure it will turn out well.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

What's the best way to finish off something that's been puddled in a marinade that is prone to burning?

Just spitballing, since I haven't really tried anything like that yet myself, but to me that sounds like an ideal case for broiling on the middle rack (or the rack below middle if your broiler is super aggressive).

In theory you could also do a grill as well if that's more convenient than broiling.

To me, it just sounds like something prone to burning is a bad candidate for "a cast-iron pan heated to a temperature approximating the surface of the sun", and something more indirect/radiant would be the play there.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Zarin posted:

Just spitballing, since I haven't really tried anything like that yet myself, but to me that sounds like an ideal case for broiling on the middle rack (or the rack below middle if your broiler is super aggressive).

In theory you could also do a grill as well if that's more convenient than broiling.

To me, it just sounds like something prone to burning is a bad candidate for "a cast-iron pan heated to a temperature approximating the surface of the sun", and something more indirect/radiant would be the play there.

I now want to experiment with my pizza oven. I did steaks and both sides seared equally (top and bottom) and carry over from 850F was insane.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Joule is superior imho. It heats up much quicker and needs much less water. Having to use your phone to control it sucks, but is worth it.

In some respect it may suck, but being able to control it remotely and monitor it is pretty nice. My wife can chuck something in the puddle from the freezer, and I can control and watch it from work. If you have a sous vide but cannot be bothered to have a smart phone or tablet, I dunno what to say. It's like complaining that you have to change the channel on your TV with a remote rather than a physical knob.

Joule superiority.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Or, you know, IoT devices are a massive mistake to bring into your house from a security, privacy, and self-service perspective.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Hasselblad posted:

I can control and watch it from work

In what scenarios is this actually useful? Controlling and watching a sous vide seems largely pointless compared to something like meat and pit temperatures on a smoker.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Do they still turn off when their connections get reset? That was a big reason I went for analogue controls. Hate ruining dinner, especially on long cooks. That and subscriptions can’t be a thing on analogue.

It’s like entrusting your fridge to the control of a middle manager. No reason to make extra steps in the control.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

My Anova has both but I haven't used the app in years I just don't really see the point, it's quicker to just dial it in with the dial on the unit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Or, you know, IoT devices are a massive mistake to bring into your house from a security, privacy, and self-service perspective.

:what: