Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

toplitzin posted:

Yes, you're incorrect about SV mode. The steak and the oven will eventually reach equilibrium, just like a normal SV cook.
Use the probe and the SV setting to your preferred temp -a couple of degrees to allow for searing unless your steaks are super thicc. If so, right to target temp.

Great to know, thank you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Zarin posted:

I usually aim for somewhere between medium rare and medium, though like you said could SV lower and let the sear do some work too.

I think I used to aim slightly higher on temp for ribeye in order to try and help the fat render a bit more. Unknown if a couple degrees in the 131-137 range would actually impact that at all though, now that I think about it. Have been doing smoking for a bit, it seems like all the fat rendering temps for those sorts of meats (brisket, pork, etc.) are all closer to 200.

I like 137 a lot for ribeyes.

And you are able to cook sous vide at a higher temp and pull the steak when the probe alerts you to the proper temp. As mentioned, you can also do sous vide mode and just let it chill at 137 for two hours like you would with a water bath.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Zarin posted:

Alright! Overnight best? Or just a few hours in the fridge ahead of the steam chamber?
Doesn't actually matter. If what you're worried about is getting the salt into the meat, you're not going to see any measurable difference between salting the night before versus salting immediately before putting the meat in s-v.

If you were going for more of a cured thing (and so where applying salt over many days/weeks) or if you were adding salt for koshering then the salting earlier will make a difference. For just normal seasoning it doesn't.

Zarin
Nov 11, 2008

I SEE YOU

SubG posted:

Doesn't actually matter. If what you're worried about is getting the salt into the meat, you're not going to see any measurable difference between salting the night before versus salting immediately before putting the meat in s-v.

If you were going for more of a cured thing (and so where applying salt over many days/weeks) or if you were adding salt for koshering then the salting earlier will make a difference. For just normal seasoning it doesn't.

Yeah, just looking for seasoning. My struggles with salt have been along the lines of:
• Putting the salt in the bag with the meat and freezing it gave it a weird texture
• Following a recipe and having something be too salty
• Following a recipe and not noticing the salt at all
• Trying to brine something and not really noticing the difference

To the point where I've almost given up and been like "gently caress it, salt it at the table to taste". But I know that getting salt right during the prep stages can really pay dividends! I've just apparently really sucked at it all this time haha.

I'll do some research on salt per pound for steaks and try applying it when I'm getting things prepped for the steam box.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

Zarin posted:

Yeah, just looking for seasoning. My struggles with salt have been along the lines of:
• Putting the salt in the bag with the meat and freezing it gave it a weird texture
• Following a recipe and having something be too salty
• Following a recipe and not noticing the salt at all
• Trying to brine something and not really noticing the difference

To the point where I've almost given up and been like "gently caress it, salt it at the table to taste". But I know that getting salt right during the prep stages can really pay dividends! I've just apparently really sucked at it all this time haha.

I'll do some research on salt per pound for steaks and try applying it when I'm getting things prepped for the steam box.
Yeah, then you don't really have to sweat it in terms of when you're adding the salt.

Salting the night before works as a sort of poor man's dry aging (koshering the meat slightly, making it drier and therefore purportedly the flavours are more intense) but that's based on the assumption that you're going to be cooking in a dry environment like a hot pan over the course of a couple minutes, which is not the kind of environment you're cooking in when you do s-v. Pretty much any hunk of animal protein done in s-v will retain more of its original weight of water than an identical hunk of protein done in a pan.

And as far as the diffusion of the salt into the meat, that's a function of time and temperature and so (unless you're curing the meat over a very long timeframe) almost all the movement it's eventually going to do is going to happen while the meat's cooking. And particularly with s-v cooking (with much longer cook times) the difference between the penetration of salt applied 12-24 hours before cooking and salt applied immediately before cooking is going to be negligible.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Cooking some filets sous vide and finishing in a cast iron.

I know for steaks normally I want to salt them and let them rest for ~30 minutes as the salt penetrates and seasons the meat. Should I do this with sous vide too? Or if I salt them and bag them and drop them in is it good enough?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Kwolok posted:

Cooking some filets sous vide and finishing in a cast iron.

I know for steaks normally I want to salt them and let them rest for ~30 minutes as the salt penetrates and seasons the meat. Should I do this with sous vide too? Or if I salt them and bag them and drop them in is it good enough?

Salting them just before you put them in the bag should be fine. The sv will help the salt penetrate. Then just make sure you dry them off really well before you sear.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine
I tried overnight dry brining once before cooking a ribeye SV and somehow basically made Akauishi ribeye ham. Oversalted maybe? Easily a top 10 dinner fuckup. Not spectacular but the disappointment was intense.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Discussion Quorum posted:

I tried overnight dry brining once before cooking a ribeye SV and somehow basically made Akauishi ribeye ham. Oversalted maybe? Easily a top 10 dinner fuckup. Not spectacular but the disappointment was intense.

I have successfully dry brined several steaks before going into the sous vide so maybe it was over-salted or in there too long. I did it with a wagyu petite filet/teres major last week and it was great. Salted and dry brined overnight and then ~2 hours @ 130F before finishing in a cast iron with butter, garlic and thyme.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Isn't dry brining just what you call it when you put salt on it a day before cooking? Shouldn't cause issues unless you use way too much salt.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

No Wave posted:

Isn't dry brining just what you call it when you put salt on it a day before cooking? Shouldn't cause issues unless you use way too much salt.

Yup

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Had a bison tenderloin steak, nice and thick. I sous vide'd it at 125 for 1.5 hrs. Then seared it in a cast iron.

The flavor was great, everything came out amazing except it was pretty darn tough. Want advice to get it more tender in the future?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

What temperature did you use?

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
125F for 1.5 hours

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Oh, you said that already and I read right over it.. :downs: my bad.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know

Kwolok posted:

125F for 1.5 hours

Even for beef that's a little on the low side. I rarely go below 129 for beef. Also, you might try going a little longer. I have read for cow ribeyes you can go up to 4 hours before a change in texture becomes notable, so maybe try doubling your time?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Kwolok posted:

Want advice to get it more tender in the future?

I've been slowly experimenting with 'dry aging' for minimum of couple hours up to 24hrs in the fridge with salt before SV. So far I can't say if it's made a big impact or if it's just "I got a good cut this time" kind of thing.

My real issue is fridge space but from what I've gathered this can be an easy way to bring tenderness to your steaks. Anyone else have anecdotal evidence on how it effect tenderness care to corroborate?

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Had an issue I haven't run into before pop up. I am doing a 24 hour cook on a pork shoulder, I used a vacuum sealer and got it packed nicely, and then doubke sealed it. The vacuum was solid and no leaks. I dropped it into the puddle and it sank and started the cook. A few hours later the top of the bag was blown up like a balloon. The bag is sealed still and holding it under water no air escapes, but its enough air to make it float and have like a inch of the shoulder above the water line. What gives? How to I fix?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

swickles posted:

Had an issue I haven't run into before pop up. I am doing a 24 hour cook on a pork shoulder, I used a vacuum sealer and got it packed nicely, and then doubke sealed it. The vacuum was solid and no leaks. I dropped it into the puddle and it sank and started the cook. A few hours later the top of the bag was blown up like a balloon. The bag is sealed still and holding it under water no air escapes, but its enough air to make it float and have like a inch of the shoulder above the water line. What gives? How to I fix?

Does it happen to be a boneless pork shoulder? Maybe it had an air pocket inside.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Does it happen to be a boneless pork shoulder? Maybe it had an air pocket inside.

No, bone in. I was thinking air pocket too, but never had one before and also not sure how it develops in a bone-in cut.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I got a bunch of fancy frozen fish as a gift. Weird gift but bear with me.

I'd like to puddle it but my favorite recipes require curing. I assume that means I should defrost the stuff first...or can I just cure it and SV from frozen?

e: here's what I got, definitely open to recipe ideas!

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

You can absolutely s-v from frozen, but I dunno how you're planning on curing frozen fish. Unless you're expecting to do that in the puddle machine, in which case yeah that would work. Theoretically add like 15 minutes to the puddle time, but I'm guessing if you're curing it's going to be a long enough cook time that you don't have to sweat the extra minutes.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
What is it about some meats just put out absolute poo poo tons of gas as they first heat up. I've done really fatty stuff in the past like pork belly that hasn't done it, and done lean meat obviously, so it's not as simple as fat percentage. But I'm trying to do some spare ribs for a sous vide & smoke recipe, but they just blew the gently caress up within an hour of putting them in. So I tried to rebag them which was a loving mess, since that's virtually impossible without a chamber vac, had to re-seal it like 6 times, and there was still probably at least half the air still trapped inside because I couldn't get a real vacuum on it while wet.

I mean some air inside is no big deal, but when I can't even keep the bag down with multiple weights, and the air pocket is insulating a good chunk of the surface of the meat within an hour of putting it in, that seems like a pretty big problem. Seems like it'd be better off leaving the top of a ziplock out of the water and open than using a vacuum sealer at this point. Only thing I hate about that scheme is being sure any germs on the plastic outside the water get killed.

EDIT: The bones, maybe?

Rescue Toaster fucked around with this message at 16:17 on Oct 15, 2022

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

The meat isn't giving off gas, either it's just a weird shape and so you're trapping some air when you seal the bag and it's expanding as it heats, or you've got surface bacteria that you're incubating. If the bag's puffing out within an hour, it's almost certainly the former.

If it's a small amount it's no big deal, but if it's enough to float the bag in the water bath then you might try using thinner/more flexible bag material. If it's a super weird shape you can also try extreme measures, like putting together some braising/basting liquid, putting the weirdly-shaped protein in it, freezing it all together, and then bagging the frozen block.

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003
Yeah it happened right as it first heated up (within the first hour) and after rebagging it hasn't expanded further even though it's been in there for hours now. Just a small bit more air, that's it. So I agree it's not some runaway bacterial decomposition of anything. I've also adjusted it so the air bubble rises off to the loose end of the bag so the meat stays in contact with the water, so it's been going fine since then.

I was just genuinely surprised how much air puffed out of it at first. Even if there's pockets inside the meat or whatnot the vacuum should pull the air out so there shouldn't actually be much air to expand though, right? Like how a chamber vac looks like nothing is happening at first and the bag still has lots of space, until suddenly the external pressure is released and it collapses. But yeah, with meats I seem to get much, much, much better vacuums when I freeze first.

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus
Is there a source people would recommend for buying this sort of sous vide bag, the ones with a seal for a hand pump?

I've finally used up the ones that came with my sous vide stuff, but Amazon is full of no brand knockoffs and the first set of replacements I bought all started leaking through the seal overnight.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Look for vacuume closet organizer bags

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
People have talked about it here before, but I want to reiterate how good Anova's support is. I have an original unit and an original bluetooth unit from the first batches for each and they are still going strong years later, however, the clamp on my BT unit cracked recently. I emailed asking if they sold that part separately and got a very quick response asking for shipping information and then another quick response letting me know the replacement was shipped free of charge. I doubt it's an expensive part, but I was thinking there was a good chance I'd be buying a complete replacement or maybe even a Joule. This kind of service makes me want to stick with Anova for awhile...

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

Random Hero posted:

People have talked about it here before, but I want to reiterate how good Anova's support is. I have an original unit and an original bluetooth unit from the first batches for each and they are still going strong years later, however, the clamp on my BT unit cracked recently. I emailed asking if they sold that part separately and got a very quick response asking for shipping information and then another quick response letting me know the replacement was shipped free of charge. I doubt it's an expensive part, but I was thinking there was a good chance I'd be buying a complete replacement or maybe even a Joule. This kind of service makes me want to stick with Anova for awhile...

Joule has been awesome as well as far as customer support and warranty.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004

Hasselblad posted:

Joule has been awesome as well as far as customer support and warranty.

Good to know. I don't mind the app-only part, and the size of the Joule is pretty drat nice.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

Does it matter when I season my steaks before or after the bath? I typically do salt, pepper and garlic powder and freezer the suckers until I'm ready. Or is it better to bathe them naked, then season before I hit the cast iron?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Pepper can get a little funky in the bag, but I like salting beforehand because you get some movement into the meat during cooking instead of it just being on the surface if you do it after cooking.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Random Hero posted:

Good to know. I don't mind the app-only part, and the size of the Joule is pretty drat nice.
I probably sound like a broken record about this but the Joule also heats a lot faster and needs much less water.

They should really make a wireless hardware widget for controlling it tho.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

obi_ant posted:

Does it matter when I season my steaks before or after the bath? I typically do salt, pepper and garlic powder and freezer the suckers until I'm ready. Or is it better to bathe them naked, then season before I hit the cast iron?

Season with salt as soon as you can, although I’m not sure what happens if you salt heavily before freezing it so YMMV if you try that. I wouldn’t add pepper until after the sear because it burns easily otherwise. Garlic powder might not have that problem, but I’ve not tried it. Might be kinda weird if you just season a finished steak with garlic powder.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Hmm. I haven't been salting my steaks before puddling after reading some stuff online that says it makes them "hammy." But maybe it's time to start doing that.

Hasselblad
Dec 13, 2017

My dumbass opinions are only outweighed by my racism.

No one forgot that I exist to defend violent cops, champion chaining down immigrants, and have trash opinions on cooking.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

Hmm. I haven't been salting my steaks before puddling after reading some stuff online that says it makes them "hammy." But maybe it's time to start doing that.

Never noticed anything ham-like, when I salt and pepper heavily and allow to dry on a rack in the fridge for a week before puddling then searing.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I salt before going in every time and the only time I've had anything I might call ham-like is by going too long in the sous vide, especially on already tender cuts. For example, you don't want to do a filet for 8 hours or it just turns to mush.

Sir Sidney Poitier
Aug 14, 2006

My favourite actor

I'm intending to sous vide a beef roast for the first time and I'm undecided on what cut. I don't want to spend rib eye or fillet money so I may go for brisket. Might sound like a silly question but do I sear it after cooking? Because I presume brisket will have lost a degree of structural integrity by that point.

Lawnie posted:

although I’m not sure what happens if you salt heavily before freezing it so YMMV if you try that

I do this with chicken breasts and it's been fine, no difference to just before, and it was so much more convenient. No problems caused and the flavour is a lot better than salting after cooking. It meant I could have my chicken breasts ready to drop in from frozen, with salt, pepper, rosemary and thyme sprigs.

Sir Sidney Poitier fucked around with this message at 19:46 on Nov 9, 2022

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

I'm intending to sous vide a beef roast for the first time and I'm undecided on what cut. I don't want to spend rib eye or fillet money so I may go for brisket. Might sound like a silly question but do I sear it after cooking? Because I presume brisket will have lost a degree of structural integrity by that point.

I'd go chuck roast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Sir Sidney Poitier posted:

Depends on your temperature. You can cook all sorts of ways including at low temperatures for 3 days+ to make it still firm enough to sear. I've done this with beef cheek and it's pretty amazin. Choosing the temperature+time you want to cook the brisket at is an important decision so you might want to research what you want the output to look like.