Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jerome Louis
Nov 5, 2002
p
College Slice
The commercial bargain generic food saver bags off Amazon. I've used them a lot with no issues. I should clarify the smell was more like an old blood and rubber thing, not so much plastic like the vacuum bags. My put them in the water bath starting when they were frozen, maybe they just sat around the danger zone for too long

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer

Norns posted:

I had fantastic results from the same temp and time.

Same

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Not specifically a Sous-Vide question, but one I think might be best served here...

Do you guys think ChefSteps Premium is worth it? I like their presentation, their info and breakdowns... I guess there are more recipes, classes and videos for 39 a year. Anyone have a sub? How do you feel about it?

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf

Feenix posted:

Not specifically a Sous-Vide question, but one I think might be best served here...

Do you guys think ChefSteps Premium is worth it? I like their presentation, their info and breakdowns... I guess there are more recipes, classes and videos for 39 a year. Anyone have a sub? How do you feel about it?

I do not have a subscription and personally would not buy one but I'm curious what you saw that got you interested, if it's anything beyond the facts you listed. Like a specific recipe behind a paywall or something. If you don't mind sharing.

Mikey Purp
Sep 30, 2008

I realized it's gotten out of control. I realize I'm out of control.
I bought premium when it went on sale for $19 for lifetime access. It's....fine. So far the premium classes and whatnot are not really the deep, "next-level" things that they advertise them to be, and one thing that was disappointing was that some of the classes are just an assembling of already free recipe vids plus one or two additional premium ones. But I like Chefsteps content in general and am fine with paying :20bux: to support them if nothing else.

Mikey Purp fucked around with this message at 22:53 on May 12, 2017

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

theres a will theres moe posted:

I do not have a subscription and personally would not buy one but I'm curious what you saw that got you interested, if it's anything beyond the facts you listed. Like a specific recipe behind a paywall or something. If you don't mind sharing.

I just like the cut of their jib and wanted more access.

Mikey Purp posted:

I bought premium when it went on sale for $19 for lifetime access. It's....fine. So far the premium classes and whatnot are not really the deep, "next-level" things that they advertise them to be, and one thing that was disappointing was that some of the classes are just an assembling of already free recipe vids plus one or two additional premium ones. But I like Chefsteps content in general and am fine with paying :20bux: to support them if nothing else.

Right on. Man if they ever have a sale... I need to be on that. 20 bucks LIfetime... SO much more palatable.

RFX
Nov 23, 2007
I wanted to make ribs and I'll likely be using Kenji's recipe. However, the recipe is for St Louis ribs and we prefer baby back. Is there any adjustment I would need to make for that, like lower temperature or different time?

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
I'm surprised there isn't a list of containers in the OP. I looked elsewhere and see a lot of the 3gal plastic containers. I see my Anova works up to 5gal. Do the 3gal fit a big thing like a pork shoulder, rack of ribs, or brisket? I live in an apartment now that doesn't allow grills/smokers.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I will fix that oversight later today

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Steve Yun posted:

I will fix that oversight later today

The Joule should probably be included as well at some point.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Just an udate for anyone who may not already be fully aware of this, I tried the ChefSteps Devilled egg recipe (it was good) topped with their quick-pickled onion (I did shallots, but it was good!) and their methodology for perfect HB eggs was.... great!

Perfect outside, perfect yolk, very easy to peel... etc

[edforContent]

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/the-best-deviled-eggs-are-sous-vide-deviled-eggs

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
:siren: Anova dropped to $109 for the last week, who knows if it will stay there for long:siren:

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
Memorial day is coming up and I'm celebrating my birthday on it, so I think I might do a batch of smoker ribs and a batch of the chef steps pink salt ribs and do a group taste test.

lavaca
Jun 11, 2010
I am a pretentious motherfucker so Mother's Day brunch was sous vide egg bites with sauteed ramps alongside asparagus and prosciutto. The Anova behaved itself when I put the jars in but had a very hard time maintaining temperature after that. It would fluctuate between about 183 and 186, beeping every time it climbed past 184.7. This didn't seem to affect the cooking but was definitely a little disconcerting given that it usually has no trouble holding the exact temperature (also, the beeping sound is annoying when you hear it every few minutes). Is this a common experience when cooking with mason jars or should I be worried? My local market sent me a coupon for a free dry-aged top sirloin, so I need it to hold out at least a little while longer.

(The ChefSteps egg bites recipe worked pretty well. For the dairy I used 100% cottage cheese based on the Facebook video and it worked very well. Nobody else in my family has actually eaten the OG egg bites so I've probably ruined their expectations for when they finally do.)

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
Did A++ amazing fajitas Sunday

- Flank steak, 6 hours 136 degrees. Finish on Grill
- Pounded chicken breast 40 minutes 160 degrees. Finish on Grill

Plus my patented fajita seasoning
(enter the temple of secrets, if you dare) and some chili powder from my friend's special, homemade batch.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
That seems really high for chicken. I go in the 140s.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

That seems really high for chicken. I go in the 140s.

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Plus it's pounded and finished on the grill. I'm not sure why you'd need to vizzle it at all.

blarzgh
Apr 14, 2009

SNITCHIN' RANDY
Grimey Drawer
I needed it done quick (30 minutes, instead of an hour), and I wanted to see how it came out.

Verdict: excellent. better than sending it straight to the grill. It firmed up the meat and made it soft enough to cut through with a butter knife.

Randyslawterhouse
Oct 11, 2012

lavaca posted:

...The Anova behaved itself when I put the jars in but had a very hard time maintaining temperature after that. It would fluctuate between about 183 and 186, beeping every time it climbed past 184.7...

My Anova drops about 4 degrees when the jars go in, but once it gets back to temp it holds within .1 degree of 185. Hopefully yours isn't about to go pop, but Anova seem to have pretty good customer service (at least if you're in the US).

I vizzled again this weekend - egg bites for the week (smoked salmon and dill, which I can heartily recommend); and two f'ing massive bone-in ribeyes, the eating of which was an almost religious experience.

Incidentally, any U.K. Goons looking for short ribs, get to Waitrose, quick. Their butchers don't know poo poo, but they've got them knocked down to £5/kilo. My frozen 'meat library' now includes short ribs, ox tail and ox cheek, all waiting for their turn in the puddle.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
So I have an Anova. It's great.

Invariably when I SV some meat or something it maintains temp... within half a degree of very occasional flux.

I just put 7 eggs in a pot with it and turned it to 203 (well I put the eggs in when it hit 203 target.

The eggs are/were cold but it's been like 10 min and the thing is struggling with temp.

198. 199. 202...

197 just now.
That's 6 degrees off the mark...

Is this normal? Is this a top end temp that's hard to hit for the Anova??

[Edit] 204.7. It's all over the place. Back to 200. Keeps occasionally beeping too. (Like it's hit its target temp...)

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
How big is the pot? Is it covered?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

How big is the pot? Is it covered?

Stock pot sized. Only 7 eggs.

Not covered but it was a 15 minute cook so I didn't worry much about evap.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
If it's the anova hitting its limit, it's because every factor is against the anova's advantage. Relatively large vessel, uncovered, metal, attempting to hit a high temp. If you took away one or two of those factors maybe it would do better?

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

I had issues with my Anova till I started cleaning it after every use. My water is hard as gently caress and I get buildup on the temperature probe on longer hot cooks.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

It's astonishing to me that the official anova app can't do a delayed start :stare:

I tried doing poached eggs at 143 F for 45min and it seemed like not enough of the whites had set. Not sure why that was the recommended temperature / time. I'm thinking 145 or 146 next time, or just giving more time perhaps.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Steve Yun posted:

If it's the anova hitting its limit, it's because every factor is against the anova's advantage. Relatively large vessel, uncovered, metal, attempting to hit a high temp. If you took away one or two of those factors maybe it would do better?

You know... could be the metal pot. Only the second time I've ever used it (I use a plastic bin usually).

Or it could be I need to clean it. I don't think we have hard water, but who knows...

rockcity
Jan 16, 2004

nuru posted:

It's astonishing to me that the official anova app can't do a delayed start :stare:

I tried doing poached eggs at 143 F for 45min and it seemed like not enough of the whites had set. Not sure why that was the recommended temperature / time. I'm thinking 145 or 146 next time, or just giving more time perhaps.

146 for 50 min is my go to for sous vide eggs.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

rockcity posted:

12.5 minutes at 167 for large eggs for poaching. I cook them at least twice a week for breakfast.

nuru
Oct 10, 2012

rockcity posted:

Looking up techniques, I think the problem is also probably that I didn't pop the de-shelled egg into a simmer to strengthen the wall a bit? Kenji does it in http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/10/sous-vide-101-all-about-eggs.html

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Megabound posted:

12.5 minutes at 167 for large eggs for poaching. I cook them at least twice a week for breakfast.

Runny yellow? No snot?

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
4 minutes in previously boiling water, splash of vinegar. Why bother with SV, there's no difference.

Megabound
Oct 20, 2012

Feenix posted:

Runny yellow? No snot?

I posted an image a couple pages back.

This first time I did at 13 minutes, and the egg on the left was in about a minute longer, so I dropped down to 12.5 and get them out at the same time and they're perfect.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...
Sous vide halibut, asparagus and spinach risotto:

It has been awhile since I have used sous vide for fish and I forgot how easy and delicious it is. The only part that is a little difficult is getting the fish in and out of the pan to sear without it falling apart.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Got a quick recipe for the asparagus? I actually have never put a vegetable in the bath and have about 5 lbs of asparagus to use up.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

85C at 15 minutes. Liberal use of butter recommended.

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Thanks. I'll give it it a shot tonight

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Norns posted:

Got a quick recipe for the asparagus? I actually have never put a vegetable in the bath and have about 5 lbs of asparagus to use up.

Butter, salt, pepper. 190F for 12m.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
I can google (and I'm sure the recipes I'll get will be just fine) but for the sake of discussion, I'll ask here...

Never done SV chicken before. Got some boneless beasts today at the store.

Best temp, duration, simple but delicious preparation?

Nothing fancy needed, just wanted to SV something new today... (and then eat it...) :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Feenix posted:

Best temp, duration, simple but delicious

140F for an hour, wrap in prosciutto and pan-sear.

Phanatic fucked around with this message at 20:50 on May 21, 2017