Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Seven Hundred Bee
Nov 1, 2006

yea the difference between mix maxing searing with a chimeny vs just using a pan is a 1mm difference, if that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Hopper posted:

I can't tell whether you are joking or not. 1/4" (6mm) is far too much. The most grey a sous vide steaks should have is 1-2 mm and 2 is being generous. Otherwise there is a flaw in the technique somewhere.

Yeah if it's 1/4" thick grey on each side on an 1" thick steak, that means half of the steak is grey.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Hopper posted:

I can't tell whether you are joking or not. 1/4" (6mm) is far too much. The most grey a sous vide steaks should have is 1-2 mm and 2 is being generous. Otherwise there is a flaw in the technique somewhere.

I wasn’t joking, but upon reflection it was the wrong number (posting on the go). You’re right.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.
So I guess I don't quite understand ghee. When I use oil, I put my cast iron in the stove and turn the heat to the highest and as soon as the oil starts smoking I throw a dallop of butter and the steak into the pan.

Does ghee replace the oil or the butter? If the former do I do the same thing with ghee, heat on highest heat and as soon as it starts smoking throw the steak in there?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
Ghee functions like oil and tastes like butter, so you don't have to use two things, just one. It replaces both.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Anne Whateley posted:

That's a ton of ghee to go through. I have Indian grocery stores not far from me, so I just buy a jar, and it'll last me a year or more. It probably is cheaper to make your own, especially if you do something with the whey, but it's not that pricey either.

oh yeah lol - I only mean that butter is very cheap, sold everywhere, and it's a simple process that both makes it taste better and extends the shelf life by months.

BeastOfExmoor
Aug 19, 2003

I will be gone, but not forever.

Anne Whateley posted:

Ghee functions like oil and tastes like butter, so you don't have to use two things, just one. It replaces both.

And it had a higher smoke point than most cooking oils.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Does it still retain the effect of the milk proteins in the butter that enhaces the crust though? My guess is no, as those proteins are removed in making Ghee right?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Ghee has a slightly buttery taste but really it has its own distinct nutty flavor. You should try it sometime. I cook eggs in it all the time it's good.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Trader Joe's regularly has jars of ghee for cheap as well if anyone is looking for a place to buy it.

Knifegrab
Jul 30, 2014

Gadzooks! I'm terrified of this little child who is going to stab me with a knife. I must wrest the knife away from his control and therefore gain the upperhand.

Hopper posted:

Does it still retain the effect of the milk proteins in the butter that enhaces the crust though? My guess is no, as those proteins are removed in making Ghee right?

This was my thought as well, I'd still drop a bit of butter in the pan just before the steak even using ghee

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

Subjunctive posted:

I’d have thought a brisket too thick to SV safely. That’s why I don’t do whole pork shoulders. I wonder if I’ve been denying myself for nothing.

I regularly SV whole brisket @ 155F for 24 hours. Biggest one I've done was 20 pounds, and there was never a problem getting the whole thing to temperature. I salt and pepper, then vacuum seal in the Food Saver pleated bags. Finish in a smoker for 2-3 hours with cherry. Always delicious!

Boneless whole pork shoulder gets rubbed down and vacuum sealed, then cooked at 165F for 18-24 hours. Finish for 1 hour in the smoker and serve.

I really think the "nothing over 4"" rule is for shorter cooks.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The Hambulance posted:

I regularly SV whole brisket @ 155F for 24 hours.

same, never had a problem with big cuts in the SV. I've seen some giant cooler setups for doing huge briskets and they turn out just as good.

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Curious what you all are using for containers for long sessions? I have a large cambro, does that usually suffice or is a cooler much efficient if we are going for a couple of days? And if so, is there a recommended cooler that works well that I can slap on my amazon wishlist?

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

couldcareless posted:

Curious what you all are using for containers for long sessions? I have a large cambro, does that usually suffice or is a cooler much efficient if we are going for a couple of days? And if so, is there a recommended cooler that works well that I can slap on my amazon wishlist?

Can always wrap a cambro with a couple layers bubble wrap.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

couldcareless posted:

I have a large gastro standard polycarbonate tub thats similar to a cambro. The gastro standard also has fitting styrofoam insulation boxes. For large long cooks I use the container with a lid that I dremeled a hole into inside the styrofoam box and slide the styrofoam lid on as far as it will go, which leaves on a hand wide open slit at the side where the Anova sits. That way I lose not even 2 mm of water level in a 36 hour cook.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

couldcareless posted:

This is my build. It's been pretty amazing for long cooks. I don't have to worry about evaporation. It holds temps rock solid for days. Has enough space for large cooks and the Anova just sits right in the hole you make.

Note: These pictures were stolen from amazon and I didn't cut my lid in half. Simply put a hole in one of the corners and slide it in (gigity). Also, check different colors for the cooler as they sometimes run different prices.

sterster posted:

Just purchased 25q Party Stacker Colamn cooler and other poo poo to use. Going to make one of these.

Here are other people images.

Parts list for the blue cooler build.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002BMCLMU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000X2ILXS/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

sterster fucked around with this message at 23:46 on Jun 27, 2018

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

I use a cooler for everything - a small one for small stuff and a larger one for pork shoulder or brisket. I will never understand why anyone uses anything else as a container: it’s just wasting electricity.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

a foolish pianist posted:

I use a cooler for everything - a small one for small stuff and a larger one for pork shoulder or brisket. I will never understand why anyone uses anything else as a container: it’s just wasting electricity.
I doubt many people running s-v setups are budgeting things tightly enough that it's worth worrying about the literally pennies' worth of difference.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

I doubt many people running s-v setups are budgeting things tightly enough that it's worth worrying about the literally pennies' worth of difference.

It was a reason why I got a cooler besides many other reasons. Here is a link to an article where they do a cost analysis on electrical usage. I mean we aren't talking hundreds of $$$. But for 24 hour cook it could cost you 1.10$ vs .30$ @.15$kwh (npr in 2011 reported .11$kwh national avg).
So far I've SV best guess for just bbq stuff.
brisket x 4 @ 36hr
pork butt x 3 @ 24hr
ribs x 4 @ 12 hr
Totaling : 264hrs
Costing me: $3.30 in a cooler vs open lid cambro containers $12.06
Note this doesn't include my weekly meal prep cooks, steaks, lemon curd, poached eggs, creme brulee and on and on.

I know this may seem like I'm trying to browbeat you or what ever. I was genuinely curious because I did think about efficiency when purchasing my container so I ran the numbers. So yeah here are my numbers.
https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/how-much-energy-does-sous-vide-use

sterster fucked around with this message at 03:34 on Jun 28, 2018

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I also use a cooler. I don't do long cooks so I don't even minmax about the electricity, for me it was just

Do I buy the thing that's cheaper, works better, and has more uses between cooks?

Or do I buy the thing that's pricier, doesn't work as well, and can't really be used for anything else?

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

What I don’t understand is why there’s a three minute difference (about 40%!) in hot water startup time. That just doesn’t make any sense.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

sterster posted:

brisket x 4 @ 36hr
pork butt x 3 @ 24hr
ribs x 4 @ 12 hr
Totaling : 264hrs
Costing me: $3.30 in a cooler vs open lid cambro containers $12.06
...or versus US$6.20 if you used a lid. Which makes your savings a whopping US$2.93 averaged over what looks like, conservatively, US$300 worth of food. And that's assuming electrical costs 30% higher than the national average. Use the average and you drop the difference to just over two bucks. Again, averaged over several hundred dollars worth of food.

I mean I'm not saying don't use a cooler for a s-v container. By all means do. But. you're probably changing your bottom line more by how you're trimming those briskets than whether or not you're running your puddle machine in a cooler.

Night Shade
Jan 13, 2013

Old School
I use a cooler for long cooks so I don't have to worry about topping it up. Otherwise I just use a tall Ikea stock pot.

Found one with a nicely hinged lid, too:

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

SubG posted:

...or versus

You're right. I was just taking the data from that site because it was easy. Turns out my cost is 13.09c (US avg 12.89c)https://www.eia.gov/electricity/monthly/epm_table_grapher.php?t=epmt_5_06_a. I was not trying to inflate the numbers artifically but prior to the cooler I was cooking in a metal pot with no lid so...

I do have a question why you are averaging the cost over value of food. Thought we were simply looking at cost savings of a cooler and how quickly you'd recoup your cost doing sv in said container. After you recoup your cost that's money you can spend on delicious meats that you'd presumably be cooking anyway.

sterster fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Jun 28, 2018

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Meh.com has a refurbished FoodSaver V3230 vacuum sealer on sale for $35 if anyone needs a cheap replacement or wants a second sealer.

qutius
Apr 2, 2003
NO PARTIES
I use an extra circulator so that I can put my sous vide setup inside a sous vide :science:

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
¿Que?

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007

sterster posted:

I do have a question why you are averaging the cost over value of food. Thought we were simply looking at cost savings of a cooler and how quickly you'd recoup your cost doing sv in said container. After you recoup your cost that's money you can spend on delicious meats that you'd presumably be cooking anyway.
It's not even recouping your cost for a cooler vs. cambro, coolers are cheaper to start with. This is my cooler, $15.50. It's 16 quarts, which feels like a ton, and it's rectangular, which works well for ribs. I haven't seen cambros of comparable size, or even the regular size, that cheap. Aren't they like $20-30?

asciidic
Aug 19, 2005

lord of the valves

I went with the cambro + insulating wrap and lid because I already had a 12 qt cambro. But drilling a hole in a cooler would still have been cheaper and I feel dumb. :(

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
My cambro eqivalent is larger than any cooler I've seen here, but I suspect coolers come in larger sizes in the US.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Hopper posted:

but I suspect coolers come in larger sizes in the US.

we have idiots that pay $1,299 for these

OUTSIDE 24 3/4” × 23 1/4” × 63 1/2”
INSIDE 16 3/4” × 17 3/4” × 54 5/8”
EMPTY WEIGHT 89 LBS

CANS OF BEER

POUNDS OF ICE (ONLY)

Yeah people are crazy about coolers

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
We use reasonably big cambros in the Red Cross which use clear liners.

This led to an unfortunate news story a few years back about food being delivered to one church in "trash bags".

:sigh:

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

We use reasonably big cambros in the Red Cross which use clear liners.

This led to an unfortunate news story a few years back about food being delivered to one church in "trash bags".

:sigh:

I didn't think the blood of christ needed to be cool

The Hambulance
Apr 19, 2011

:20bux:

ASK ME ABOUT MY AWESOME STARTUP IDEA

Pillbug

couldcareless posted:

I have a 100 quart cooler that I use for briskets, ribs, and pulled pork. My Anova wouldn't handle that much water, so I made my own SV setup with a 5-gallon bucket heater and an Inkbird temperature controller. I circulate the water with a little $10 pump I got off amazon that can handle continuous duty and the heat of the water. I can move this whole setup to my 150 quart cooler if I have to cook more than 2 briskets at a time, but that's only happened once :v:

Also, gently caress those Yeti coolers. Anyone that would pay that much for a cooler is retarded.

100 Quart cooler: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000G64FJK/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

150 Quart cooler: https://www.amazon.com/Igloo-Quick-...8NJ450SPDCS5BFW

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

sterster posted:

You're considering an optimisation. And assuming low on the cost of food and high on the cost of energy you're still looking at, realistically, less than 1%. If you're living somewhere with cheaper electricity and/or more expensive meat then it's going to be even less than that. Factor in all the other costs of your food prep process, and it gets even smaller.

Point is unless you happen to be a multinational fast food chain or something, that poo poo doesn't matter. Because your process isn't already finely-tuned enough that fractions of a percent optimisation are actually meaningful. Let's go to the store and both pick out a stack of 4 briskets. If both of our stacks end up weighing the same to within 1%, that's a miracle. Okay, say we have that miracle. Now let's trim the briskets. If we trim them and end up with the same net weight to within 1%, that's a second event of theological significance. But let's say that happens. Now we cook the things. Check to see if the cooked briskets weigh the same as each other to within 1% for further evidence of divine intervention. Now plate that poo poo and send it out in precisely identical portions (note: miraculous event beyond the scope of our current investigation). Measure the difference between weight out and amount of waste/scraps. If those all agree to within 1%, sing more hosannahs. And then we move on to everything else beside the briskets.

Again, not saying you shouldn't use a cooler. Use a cooler. But the efficiency argument is one of those sciency-sounding things that just happens to not be that big of a deal in the real world of most peoples' kitchens.

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Use less electricity when you can, jeez. Not every decision has be purely about savings.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

a foolish pianist posted:

Use less electricity when you can, jeez. Not every decision has be purely about savings.
I think most people have a better intuitive understanding of what a dollar is than what a kilowatt-hour is. But okay.

The difference (per the single trial posted by sternster earlier), over a three-day cook, is 0.14 kWh. The average US home uses about 900 kWh a month, or about 30 a day. You're talking about a fraction of a percent of the average daily household energy budget.

I mean save more energy, yeah. But that's not really a good argument here. You'd literally save more energy by re-organising your fridge to shave a couple seconds off the time you have the door open when you're getting something out.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
It just occurred to me that you could use bubble wrap to top the water in a circulator setup. It should float on its own, insulate a little tiny bit, prevent evaporation, and it's hella easy to cut into whatever weird shape you need. Also it's cheap.

I just bought a roll the other day. Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

ping pong balls too