Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Argue posted:

Out of curiosity: I understand that the consistency of the yolk is affected by the time spent in the bath. For a large egg like this, would the amount of time for your desired consistency need to be multiplied based on the ratio of an ostrich egg to a regular egg, or would you just need to add a flat 33 minutes to it?
I'm just getting my times off this chart:

It suggests just straight addition - but like you and Submarine Sandpaper said, that would probably affect the consistency of the yolk. If you can get a few eggs, why not test it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hauki
May 11, 2010

having eaten ostrich eggs before, i’m with lakeith on this one

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
Why do my SV burgers never come out really good? They're certainly edible, and nice and pink on the inside, but they have a weird spongy consistency/texture that is kind of gross. They aren't juicy or flavorful at all.

Am I packing them too tightly? Searing them for too long? Making them too big?

And before anyone says "why are you bothering with SV for burgers", I like to buy the ground beef in bulk, make the patties and freeze them two to a bag, and then be able to get home from work and just pop a bag into the bath for a couple hours.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

IMHO deep fry SV burgers.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

OldSenileGuy posted:

Why do my SV burgers never come out really good? They're certainly edible, and nice and pink on the inside, but they have a weird spongy consistency/texture that is kind of gross. They aren't juicy or flavorful at all.

And before anyone says "why are you bothering with SV for burgers", I like to buy the ground beef in bulk, make the patties and freeze them two to a bag, and then be able to get home from work and just pop a bag into the bath for a couple hours.
are you vacuum sealing them?

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

OldSenileGuy posted:

Are you salting the meat before you form the patties? That can gently caress up the texture.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
I throught you are not supposed to SV things above 4" diameter due to bacterial growth during the slow temp rise. If that's not a big deal I'll try it.
However, a single egg is about 20€. So yeah not gonna do more than 1 or 2. Maybe one SV
one normal.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

SVing an egg changes texture as a function of not only temp but also time (in much shorter intervals than anything except maybe fish).

I think you'd have to do it two stage, a temp that'll only effect yolk, then a higher temp or even boil for a short time for the white. Experiment with ice baths between the two

i bet if you didn't care about the white, an ostrich egg is huge enough you could just sous vide the yolk alone

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

OldSenileGuy posted:

What are you doing that is different from the Serious Eats recommendation for a sous vide burger?

In particular, look at the water displacement versus vacuum sealer recommendation.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-burger.html

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Hopper posted:

I throught you are not supposed to SV things above 4" diameter due to bacterial growth during the slow temp rise. If that's not a big deal I'll try it.
However, a single egg is about 20€. So yeah not gonna do more than 1 or 2. Maybe one SV
one normal.

From my understanding if you have a bacteria problem it's usually on the surface of the product or near surface. I don't know if there is a difference for eggs though. If your getting it sourced from a known location too you're probably fine.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
That's why i soak a knife in alcohol, slice off the edges, then eat everything tartare

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

sterster posted:

From my understanding if you have a bacteria problem it's usually on the surface of the product or near surface. I don't know if there is a difference for eggs though. If your getting it sourced from a known location too you're probably fine.

I don't appreciate you judging me for eating eggs from the stormdrain

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

ulmont posted:

What are you doing that is different from the Serious Eats recommendation for a sous vide burger?

In particular, look at the water displacement versus vacuum sealer recommendation.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/08/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-burger.html

I never would have thought to sous vide a burger, is it remotely worth the effort?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Nephzinho posted:

I never would have thought to sous vide a burger, is it remotely worth the effort?

Having made several SV burgers, I don't think so. They're good burgers, but not as good as conventional techniques. SV has strengths, and burgers aren't one of them. You need to deal with the compression issue that was mentioned, and still sear it after, so you might as well have started out with searing it and made a (far superior) smash burger. The benefits of precision cooking aren't realized when the meat is ground and thin.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Someone recently posted in the thread about a 48-hour lamb thing. I’ve had a request for lamb, so I’d like to learn more! (Can’t make search work.)

Carillon
May 9, 2014

Subjunctive posted:

Someone recently posted in the thread about a 48-hour lamb thing. I’ve had a request for lamb, so I’d like to learn more! (Can’t make search work.)

I made this for easter one year and it was a huuuuge hit. Even my partner who doesn't thinks she likes lamb loved it. I seasoned the lamb with salt, cooked it to 130 for 4-5 hours, then rubbed it down and finished it in a blistering hot over. It's fantastic.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

Subjunctive posted:

That was me.

I've done 24 hour lamb chops a few times - probably like once a month since April? Throw some butter and fresh rosemary and a very small amount of garlic powder in the bag, maybe some long pepper or tasmanian pepper berries if you're batshit like me and just collect spices, set to around 135 and leave it. The lamb gets a totally different texture, almost mushy/cottony but in a good way? Take it out, sear it, eat it.

By mushy/cottony, I mean it looks and feels like a steak when you've got it in the pan or on the plate, but once it gets in your mouth it's almost like eating pulled meat in that it just falls apart into fibers really easily. Sorta like a good white bread, in some ways, too. It's probably not for everyone but if I'm doing SV instead of cooking something regular, I'm usually tryna gently caress with textures and get something I can't get in a pan/on an oven.

Doing 48 hours was more of an experiment and every part of it was a failure and I wouldn't recommend it ever again. Kenji Lopez-Alt says there's basically three breakdown points; 4 hours gives you something 'steaky,' 8 hours gives you something that pulls apart, and 24 hours gives you something he thinks is terrible but I really don't. 48 hours was like eating a sponge that I'd overseasoned with too much dried rosemary and regretted like crazy.

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling
I want to SV a pork chop and then deep fry it into a tonkatsu dish

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Whalley posted:

That was me.

Awesome, thanks. I’ll definitely try the 24-hour chop for myself, it sounds cool.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

SHOAH NUFF posted:

I want to SV a pork chop and then deep fry it into a tonkatsu dish

If you look in my post history I tried it, it's surprisingly finicky wrt getting the breading to stick tbh

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Carillon posted:

I made this for easter one year and it was a huuuuge hit. Even my partner who doesn't thinks she likes lamb loved it. I seasoned the lamb with salt, cooked it to 130 for 4-5 hours, then rubbed it down and finished it in a blistering hot over. It's fantastic.

I think that might be a little spicy for my audience, but I am pretty loving interested in it for myself.

I found some frozen shanks for sale, so I think I'll do that this time. Just some lemon-rosemary-garlic in there and then let 'em go.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Puddling this 4lb Picanha this weekend for friends. Should be fun.

I’m not necessarily soliciting advice, but I won’t ignore any good tips. :)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Feenix posted:

Puddling this 4lb Picanha this weekend for friends. Should be fun.

I’m not necessarily soliciting advice, but I won’t ignore any good tips. :)

I have one in the freezer so if what you do works out well please share.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Phanatic posted:

I have one in the freezer so if what you do works out well please share.

Did you get yours from Porter Road, too? :)

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.
I got mine from a Brazilian market way the heck up in northeast Philly.

But I will check Porter Road out. Never heard of it until now.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

Phanatic posted:

I got mine from a Brazilian market way the heck up in northeast Philly.

But I will check Porter Road out. Never heard of it until now.

They sell out of sought after cuts but then are really good about email notifications.

I’m gonna make a nice chimichurri and serve it on a board (that I actually just made for it!) with some
Caipirinhas!

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
I noticed that my grocery is selling ostrich meat. Unsurprisingly the internet has very little info on sous viding it and I'm not inclined to trust the result I found where the guy did it at 125. Anyone have experience with this?

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Argue posted:

I noticed that my grocery is selling ostrich meat. Unsurprisingly the internet has very little info on sous viding it and I'm not inclined to trust the result I found where the guy did it at 125. Anyone have experience with this?

I've had it once (not SV), it was like veal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Ah poo poo. I just realized that I put some fresh garlic in with the shanks I’m cooking for 48 hours. Am I about to kill people?

E: They’ve been in about 18, I’ll rinse and repack them and then figure out if I need a whole new meal for Saturday.

E2: actually, reading stuff like https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/is-it-safe-to-use-raw-garlic-in-sous-vide makes me feel better. I’m cooking at 143F, and the water was hot when stuff went in.

still, :ohdear:

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 14, 2018

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy

Subjunctive posted:

Ah poo poo. I just realized that I put some fresh garlic in with the shanks I’m cooking for 48 hours. Am I about to kill people?

E: They’ve been in about 18, I’ll rinse and repack them and then figure out if I need a whole new meal for Saturday.

E2: actually, reading stuff like https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/is-it-safe-to-use-raw-garlic-in-sous-vide makes me feel better. I’m cooking at 143F, and the water was hot when stuff went in.

still, :ohdear:

You'll be fine, everything says botulism dies at 121 for 3 minutes or so. I do wonder why garlic is more of a concern than onions or other similar vegetables though? Can't anything have botulism?

xtal
Jan 9, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
More importantly, I'm curious if the garlic cooked well and tastes good. I tried making onion soup in SV once. Do not recommend.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xtal posted:

More importantly, I'm curious if the garlic cooked well and tastes good. I tried making onion soup in SV once. Do not recommend.

I share your curiosity. It's blendered into the paste I used to marinade, so we'll see.

Wungus
Mar 5, 2004

xtal posted:

I do wonder why garlic is more of a concern than onions or other similar vegetables though? Can't anything have botulism?
It's because people commonly store raw garlic in oil, which creates a really good anaerobic environment for the bacteria to grow, so a bunch of people wound up contracting botulism because of the garlic and blamed garlic for being special. There's no other reason - you're just as likely to get the bacteria in onions, carrots, turnips, basically any vegetable that grows in the ground.

It's worth being concerned about, but not overly, and not any more so than other dirt-encrusted vegetables. Garlic just had bad PR.

AnonSpore
Jan 19, 2012

"I didn't see the part where he develops as a character so I guess he never developed as a character"

xtal posted:

everything says botulism dies at 121 for 3 minutes or so

If this is true why were people so spooked about botulism with sous vide for years up till now

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Because it's called sous vide and not Freedom Cooking

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

AnonSpore posted:

If this is true why were people so spooked about botulism with sous vide for years up till now

Sporessss

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I'm pretty sure garlic (in non-powdered form) mostly just tastes like garbage when you sous vide it. It's not any more suceptible to botulism than any other vegetable stored and cooked in the same way.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines

Argue posted:

It was just okay. 131 F for 3 hours, just salt and pepper. Closest thing I've had in the past is lamb, but I haven't had veal before. Was definitely surprised at how much closer it was to beef than poultry though.

Bum the Sad
Aug 25, 2002
Hell Gem

Argue posted:

It was just okay. 131 F for 3 hours, just salt and pepper. Closest thing I've had in the past is lamb, but I haven't had veal before. Was definitely surprised at how much closer it was to beef than poultry though.

Try it at 98.6 for 12 hours... put it in your butt

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

xtal posted:

Shanks were good, not overly or weirdly garlicky!