Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Relentless posted:

I've been using my Anova to make black garlic.

I would love to read a write up and taste test. Hopefully with photos.

Take us on a black garlic journey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Sentient Data posted:

If it's all well insulated it probably didn't consume much power at all

It's a cambro I wrapped in some styrofoam. Its also in the garage with an ambient temp of 80-100+ lately. I'm also doing a couple dozen bulbs, and only at 140.

Black Garlic runs 20 bucks a pound on Amazon. I can't be doing that bad, and my mom loves that I'm making her something 'by hand'.

NPR Journalizard
Feb 14, 2008

CaptainCrunch posted:

seconding this

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
SVE just did a video of a one week steak, and that looked pretty awesome.

I've debated getting one of those stupid black garlic maker thingies before, so I'm real interested to see how it comes out SV. :allears:

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Relentless posted:

It's a cambro I wrapped in some styrofoam. Its also in the garage with an ambient temp of 80-100+ lately. I'm also doing a couple dozen bulbs, and only at 140.

Black Garlic runs 20 bucks a pound on Amazon. I can't be doing that bad, and my mom loves that I'm making her something 'by hand'.
I was doing 700W x 24 hours x 21 days = 352 kWh, which would run ~$150 where I live. But if it's well insulated, it might only use 10-20% of that.

But if it was good, let us goons know, the stuff on Amazon is very hit or miss

RoastBeef
Jul 11, 2008

Subjunctive posted:

I have been secretly hoping that my Anovas die so I can justify a Polyscience, but they keep on trucking after 5 and 3 years respectively.

I have a Polyscience that's died twice in 4 years. Also apparently (some part of?) ChefSteps got bought by Breville.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Infinite Karma posted:

I was doing 700W x 24 hours x 21 days = 352 kWh, which would run ~$150 where I live. But if it's well insulated, it might only use 10-20% of that.

But if it was good, let us goons know, the stuff on Amazon is very hit or miss

Power here is about 5.5 cents per kwh, so about 20 bucks for that.

Also the 3 week batch was pretty good. Very caramely. I just got a shitload of garlic from the cash n carry.

Relentless fucked around with this message at 03:48 on Jul 26, 2019

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Yeah, I’d guess...70W draw, if there’s a towel wrapped around the basin.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
The power draw is much less because once it reaches temp it's pretty easy to hold that. This guide suggest that you spend about 2kw @ 140°F inside for a 24hr period while using a cooler. So that's 2kw x 21 = 42kw for the whole cook. Even just wrapped in a towel is changes it to 2.3kw x 21 = 48.3kw total.

Guide https://www.amazingfoodmadeeasy.com/info/modernist-cooking-blog/more/how-much-energy-does-sous-vide-use

sterster fucked around with this message at 04:14 on Jul 26, 2019

halokiller
Dec 28, 2008

Sisters Are Doin' It For Themselves

CaptainCrunch posted:

Same. Though I'd go crazy if I can't use my Anova for several weeks.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

I'll post pics when this batch is done, got another week to go.

The most important part doesn't photograph well, but I cannot stress the importance of doing this in an out building enough. Everything within 30 feet will REEK of garlic for 3 days. I'm not sure how that much smell gets through the double bagging and saran wrap and a lid, but by god it does.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Relentless posted:

The most important part doesn't photograph well, but I cannot stress the importance of doing this in an out building enough. Everything within 30 feet will REEK of garlic for 3 days. I'm not sure how that much smell gets through the double bagging and saran wrap and a lid, but by god it does.
If it's like liquid smoke, the smell particles are small enough to pass directly through the pores in the plastic (which water can't pass through obviously)

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Relentless posted:

If you want a better vapour/smell barrier look for EVOH (ethylene vinyl alcohol) bags. EVOH is what's used in industry to seal poo poo like jerky so it doesn't stink everything up.

You can sometimes find heavy duty cling wrap that's made out of PVDC (polyvinylidene) which isn't as good at this as EVOH, but is better than LDPE (which is what almost all cling wrap is made out of these days).

Most plastic vacuum sealer bags are a PA/PE laminate: PA (polyamide or nylon) for puncture resistance and PE (polyethylene) for sealing. It's actually the worst barrier to e.g. oxygen (which is what is generally used in industry to evaluate the effectiveness of the seal, as it's a good proxy for spoilage prevention during refrigeration) out of everything I just listed. EVOH is about an order of magnitude better than PVDC, which in turn is about an order of magnitude better than PA/PE.

PA/PE is used because it's cheap, and if you're going to seal something and then throw it in the freezer it's fine; preventing freezer burn is mostly about preventing dehydration, and so you're less concerned about preventing diffusion of oxygen.

If I was making a bunch of black garlic and didn't want to pay a shitload of money on a huge industrial roll of EVOH I'd probably just buy a bunch of jerky, eat it, and then wash and reuse the bags. I've never actually tried it, though.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

SubG posted:

If you want a better vapour/smell barrier look for EVOH (ethylene vinyl alcohol) bags. EVOH is what's used in industry to seal poo poo like jerky so it doesn't stink everything up.

You can sometimes find heavy duty cling wrap that's made out of PVDC (polyvinylidene) which isn't as good at this as EVOH, but is better than LDPE (which is what almost all cling wrap is made out of these days).

Most plastic vacuum sealer bags are a PA/PE laminate: PA (polyamide or nylon) for puncture resistance and PE (polyethylene) for sealing. It's actually the worst barrier to e.g. oxygen (which is what is generally used in industry to evaluate the effectiveness of the seal, as it's a good proxy for spoilage prevention during refrigeration) out of everything I just listed. EVOH is about an order of magnitude better than PVDC, which in turn is about an order of magnitude better than PA/PE.

PA/PE is used because it's cheap, and if you're going to seal something and then throw it in the freezer it's fine; preventing freezer burn is mostly about preventing dehydration, and so you're less concerned about preventing diffusion of oxygen.

If I was making a bunch of black garlic and didn't want to pay a shitload of money on a huge industrial roll of EVOH I'd probably just buy a bunch of jerky, eat it, and then wash and reuse the bags. I've never actually tried it, though.

Thanks for the :science:!

What's really fun is EVOH bags aren't that pricey... per unit. As long as you're buying 1k or more it's only 25 cents a bag!

Now I'm wondering if there's any of these other bags (Amazon sells a variety of 'Smell Proof' bags/jars for weed, it looks like a lot of them are mylar?) that I could put the garlic in, close, and then vacuum seal inside the regular vacuum seal bags to minimize the smell.

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

ulmont posted:

I use this one for anything smaller (they hold about 2 chicken breasts):
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DZQT9CU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

And this one for anything larger, because the Stasher didn't have a larger size 2 years ago when I ordered:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01KW7NF3E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If I was ordering now I'd just get 2 of the larger Stasher size things:
https://www.amazon.com/Stasher-Reusable-Silicone-Sandwich-Storage/dp/B075TM3GVX?ref_=bl_dp_s_web_14492462011

I grabbed the large Stashers, and they worked perfectly for some chicken thighs. Thanks again for the recommendation!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Are there any deals going on SV rigs right now? Mine is dying I think. I want to get another before it does as I am using it a lot lately.

Sakura-hime
Jul 6, 2019
I had heard of this before but had never looked into it. Reading through here as really convinced me to give it a try. Gonna have to find a nice cookbook for it first tho.

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Sakura-hime posted:

I had heard of this before but had never looked into it. Reading through here as really convinced me to give it a try. Gonna have to find a nice cookbook for it first tho.

Serious eats, Chefsteps, and anova's website, along with doug baldwin.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

toplitzin posted:

Serious eats, Chefsteps, and anova's website, along with doug baldwin.

Also SousVideEverything on YouTube.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
If you need an actual book. I really like this one - https://www.amazon.com/Sous-Vide-Home-Technique-Perfectly/dp/0399578064/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?keywords=sous+vide+at+home&qid=1565130459&s=gateway&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

poeticoddity posted:

Also SousVideEverything on YouTube.

in which our hero dry ages and cooks every possible cut of beef

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Sakura-hime posted:

Modernist Cuisine, MCAH

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Subjunctive posted:

Forget that Twitch business, there’s only one Ninja out there I’ll accept as the real deal.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Subjunctive posted:

I honestly can't stand him anymore. I watched his stuff when I was getting into SV but his videos just became ridiculous. With Ninja always screaming into the camera and overloading the mic.

Grem
Mar 29, 2004

It's how her species communicates

Ninja loves steak so much it's not entertaining. Will he like it? Of course, dude wants nothing more than steak in his mouth. Pretty sure you could marinate a steak in poo poo and Ninja will scream about how great it is.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's Black Garlic Day!

Technically, 4 weeks was over on Sunday, but I decided to order some smell proof (weed) bags off Amazon for storage and wait for them to show up.

Bought a bunch of heads of garlic at the cash n carry, rinsed them off and got most of the dirt/loose outer skin off. Vacuum sealed while they were still slightly damp, then double bagged with a weight. Four weeks at 140, in the garage. Saran wrapped the gently caress out of the top of a cambro before putting the lid on, had to add about 2 inches of water a week, not bad from the evaporation standpoint.

Bagged:

Unbagged:

A clove:

Clove peeled and cut:

They came out significantly blacker at 4.5 weeks vs 3 weeks (my first attempt). They're sweeter and tangier then regular garlic, much more caramelized but with still a garlicky bite at the end. They hold up their shape, but are easily squished to a paste if you want.

I haven't really played around with it much, but the last batch went on/in a smoked turkey and it was fantastic. My mom likes them minced up, sauteed in butter and tossed with popcorn. I can confirm this is super legit.

WARNING: If you do not love smelling garlic 24/7, do not attempt this in your home. Especially in the basement/kitchen/anywhere with a direct air route to your bedroom. For about 3 days it will REEK of garlic. I love garlic, but that's the correct word. After that it mellows out significantly, but whatever room it's in will smell of garlic for days after you're done. Unheated garage at a minimum, preferably a detached garage/shed. Upthread there's a discussion of bags that might help (Possibly cleaned out jerky bags?), but I can neither confirm nor deny their efficiency.

I'm not positive this is cost effective, or make a better product than what you can buy, but it's a neat experiment.

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Relentless posted:

I haven't really played around with it much, but the last batch went on/in a smoked turkey and it was fantastic. My mom likes them minced up, sauteed in butter and tossed with popcorn. I can confirm this is super legit.

Haha, your mom would. That's gotta be better than her usual butter-and-brewer's-yeast toppings. Like, love your mom like she's my mom, but srsly, just put some loving garlic salt on your loving popcorn, lady.

Relentless posted:

WARNING: If you do not love smelling garlic 24/7, do not attempt this in your home. Especially in the basement/kitchen/anywhere with a direct air route to your bedroom. For about 3 days it will REEK of garlic. I love garlic, but that's the correct word. After that it mellows out significantly, but whatever room it's in will smell of garlic for days after you're done. Unheated garage at a minimum, preferably a detached garage/shed. Upthread there's a discussion of bags that might help (Possibly cleaned out jerky bags?), but I can neither confirm nor deny their efficiency.

I'm not positive this is cost effective, or make a better product than what you can buy, but it's a neat experiment.

Did you use standard vacuum sealer bags? I'm debating stealing my dad's Foodsaver next time I go home for sous vide purposes (mostly decarbing cannabis, but also looking forward to making foodstuffs), but if the bags aren't gonna keep the stink in, maybe I should get something different?

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Relentless posted:

The cost analysis posted upthread where it costs very little energy to keep it running for 24 hours would suggest otherwise. You probably saved some money, but the cost of black garlic has been falling. You at the very least broke even with that batch size, but if you made a larger batch in a cooler you could probably cut your cost by a lot. The most expensive part would be sourcing the garlic, but my grocery has 5 smaller cloves for $1.50 all the time.

Really good to see this experiment too, I have a folding proofer that can make black garlic like this, but I don't want it out of bread service for a month. I'll have to give this a try, because I really love garlic.

Did the smell from the bags stop after a few days where I could move it back in doors, or did it persist for the entire time?

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

Jhet posted:

The cost analysis posted upthread where it costs very little energy to keep it running for 24 hours would suggest otherwise. You probably saved some money, but the cost of black garlic has been falling. You at the very least broke even with that batch size, but if you made a larger batch in a cooler you could probably cut your cost by a lot. The most expensive part would be sourcing the garlic, but my grocery has 5 smaller cloves for $1.50 all the time.

Yeah, god bless the cash & carry. Honestly, most of the reason I even tried this was as a present for my mother. It's something she likes and uses, plus this counts as "homemade", which magically makes it a better present.

quote:

Really good to see this experiment too, I have a folding proofer that can make black garlic like this, but I don't want it out of bread service for a month. I'll have to give this a try, because I really love garlic.

Did the smell from the bags stop after a few days where I could move it back in doors, or did it persist for the entire time?

It stops being intense, it's much more mellow and caramely, but it's still noticeable. And after pulling it out and dumping the water, the garage still smells of garlic the next morning. Glad to report that the smell proof bags have kept the entire fridge of smelling like garlic today, though.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Dirt Road Junglist posted:

Did you use standard vacuum sealer bags? I'm debating stealing my dad's Foodsaver next time I go home for sous vide purposes (mostly decarbing cannabis, but also looking forward to making foodstuffs), but if the bags aren't gonna keep the stink in, maybe I should get something different?

The smell with decarbing is way milder in sous vide than, say, the oven, but, yeah, you should be aware it’s not nothing.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
What's the good SV rig to buy right now? Anova? ChefSteps? Something else?

I don't really need wifi/bluetooth. My Gormia is dying I think so I want to get a new one before it does. I don't want a "mini" either as I use a big container a lot.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Trastion posted:

What's the good SV rig to buy right now? Anova? ChefSteps? Something else?

I don't really need wifi/bluetooth. My Gormia is dying I think so I want to get a new one before it does. I don't want a "mini" either as I use a big container a lot.

The 800W Anova has manual controls (and bluetooth, but I don't bother) and I've been happy enough that I've bought 3 for myself (for big holiday gatherings) and two for family members.

The 900W (wifi) version heats up a bit faster but isn't worth the premium unless you want wifi.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Anova also has baller customer service

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

https://www.seriouseats.com/2019/08/peanut-butter-sous-vide-steaks.html

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
I made Kenji's lengua tacos
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/12/sous-vide-tacos-de-lengua-tongue-recipe.html

They were pretty good. My wife and two of three kids were horrified by the appearance of the cow tongue and refused to eat it. Cowards!
That leaves me and the baby eating lengua tacos all day.

esperantinc
May 5, 2003

JERRY! HELLO!

I mean cow tongues are pretty gnarly lookin'.

Love me some lengua tacos though.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

quote:

(I’m a butter-baster! Sous vide red meat isn’t good!**).

the gently caress???

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
I want to make pastry cream sous vide, because gently caress stirring and straining.

I haven't found a ton of SV recipes, and most of them look like they don't set up well -- they stay pretty thin and runny. I do want mine relatively firm. Because cornstarch doesn't set up at lower SV temps, I think that means gelatin. (or gums but I have more gelatin on hand)

The general shape of the recipe is to throw everything in a blender, blitz it thoroughly, pour into a ziploc, SV for ~30 min at 176. Shake it and chill in the ziploc until filling.

What I really need is proportions, but I could also use any tips or experience if anyone's done it before!

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

I want to make pastry cream sous vide, because gently caress stirring and straining.

I haven't found a ton of SV recipes, and most of them look like they don't set up well -- they stay pretty thin and runny. I do want mine relatively firm. Because cornstarch doesn't set up at lower SV temps, I think that means gelatin. (or gums but I have more gelatin on hand)

The general shape of the recipe is to throw everything in a blender, blitz it thoroughly, pour into a ziploc, SV for ~30 min at 176. Shake it and chill in the ziploc until filling.

What I really need is proportions, but I could also use any tips or experience if anyone's done it before!

If I recall it helps to agitate in the bag during the puddling a few times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

Thinking about getting into sous vide.

Leaning toward the anova nano(based on a wirecutter review) and this.

Plan to try it out with some brisket and inviting some people over to my new place for a housewarming, would I be ok just using ziploc bags to start?

Are there any other accessories worth getting?