Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
What's in those bottles under the table?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Oh, I've been screwing around trying to make kombucha. That's the first batch I ever bottled and I think I screwed it up by adding too much stuff on the second ferment. I do have 1 happy looking scoby though.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Tres Burritos posted:

You motivated me to try myself since I'd been eyeing the recipe for a while.

Hope yours turned out better than mine. They were super mushy and I ended up tossing the batch. I think maybe they were the wrong variety of cucumbers?

Only 1 of the 3 jars sealed as well. Still would've been safe as fridge pickles but they weren't worth keeping.

Still want to give it another go with different cukes and maybe doing some picked jalapenos or onions.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tres Burritos posted:

Is this a stainless steel workstation with racks that you put a single induction burner on for the sole purpose of doing things with fermentation in your garage or something?

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
LOL that gave me flashbacks to making ginger beer and blowing up most of my glass bottles because I'm a moron.

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

Dacap posted:

Hope yours turned out better than mine. They were super mushy and I ended up tossing the batch. I think maybe they were the wrong variety of cucumbers?

Only 1 of the 3 jars sealed as well. Still would've been safe as fridge pickles but they weren't worth keeping.

Still want to give it another go with different cukes and maybe doing some picked jalapenos or onions.

I've only tried the green beans so far and they're not mushy at all. Not 100% satisfied with the flavor though, need to add like ... less sugar? Maybe? Mine also sealed okay, I barely tightened the lids at all since that seemed to be what the internet recommended.

Nephzinho posted:

Is this a stainless steel workstation with racks that you put a single induction burner on for the sole purpose of doing things with fermentation in your garage or something?

Yeah, my actual kitchen has like no countertop space whatsoever, Just that one table nearly doubles the amount of space I've got. The induction burner ... I only got it recently so I'm not 100% sure if it was a poo poo idea.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Tres Burritos posted:

Does it really make a difference vs. just bringing the brine solution to a boil and then pouring it over the pickles?

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Tres Burritos posted:

Yeah, my actual kitchen has like no countertop space whatsoever, Just that one table nearly doubles the amount of space I've got. The induction burner ... I only got it recently so I'm not 100% sure if it was a poo poo idea.

God I need a garage.

Dacap
Jul 8, 2008

I've been involved in a number of cults, both as a leader and a follower.

You have more fun as a follower. But you make more money as a leader.

Tres Burritos posted:

I've only tried the green beans so far and they're not mushy at all. Not 100% satisfied with the flavor though, need to add like ... less sugar? Maybe? Mine also sealed okay, I barely tightened the lids at all since that seemed to be what the internet recommended.

I think my problem was more the cukes than the method. I think hey were just not a varietal that works well for pickling.

I've seen a lot of people mention that this brine is too sweet, and most feedback I've read has people cutting the sugar quite a bit

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Phanatic posted:

Does it really make a difference vs. just bringing the brine solution to a boil and then pouring it over the pickles?

Because you need to use vinegar with any veg you’re pickling this way, not really no. If you were making half-sour or sour pickles with salt+lacto this would work. You’re mostly just cooking the veg at 140 or whatever for an hour. The vinegar is the preserving agent in this case. I’d guess it would make the veg softer.

If you’re going to ferment things, just use salt and let it make its own acidity. You just need to either vacuum seal it or fully submerse in a salt solution for the lacto to work. Key there is no oxygen so that pathogens can’t reproduce before the acidity is high enough.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Stupid question: if you sear your steaks on the stove in oil, do you guys dab your steaks dry or just leave all the residual oil on it?

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

Skyarb posted:

Stupid question: if you sear your steaks on the stove in oil, do you guys dab your steaks dry or just leave all the residual oil on it?
If there's enough residual oil you'd have to mop it off, you used too much.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

Tres Burritos posted:

I have a similar burner to sear steak on the balcony at it is great. However mine says to not use it on steel surfaces as it heats up the surface due to how it works with induction . So be careful and check that.

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

I got my anova but it has been sitting in the box for 2 weeks as I debate what to make first, decided not to do brisket and wanted something simpler. I just watched Alton Brown's Sous vide episode and I am now leaning toward a beef roast and cheesecake. Gonna try it out this weekend I can't wait!

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
just make a steak?!

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

Definitely do some sort of roast, a pork butt at 145 for 18 hours is legit heaven.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five
The best demo of what you can do with sous vide for a newbie is, IMO, poultry.

Yeah, a steak that's cooked perfectly is cool, but I've loaned equipment to friends who didn't know it was possible to have a moist chicken breast before they cooked one. It's also usually a cheap cut of meat so it doesn't feel like a big gamble and it's something most people have had cooked at least half a dozen ways for comparison.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Beo posted:

I got my anova but it has been sitting in the box for 2 weeks as I debate what to make first, decided not to do brisket and wanted something simpler. I just watched Alton Brown's Sous vide episode and I am now leaning toward a beef roast and cheesecake. Gonna try it out this weekend I can't wait!

Make eggs.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe

Anything with eggs is pretty cool. Lemon curd, creme brulee, eggs poached in their shells for eggs benny.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Eggs were my first thing because you don't need to package them. just drop em in the tepid puddle.

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Beo posted:

Hopper posted:

just make a steak?!

Beo
Oct 9, 2007

I'm going to cook something I've just been busy, moved into a new house and I also tried out one of those food delivery services. I'm going to break it out this week and cook some things, Steak and eggs included!

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
Anyone have a good silicone mold for doing Egg Bites Sous Vide? I don't really want to use glass containers but everything I see is for InstaPot, which I have but I want to use my SV rig.

Or has anyone tried something like this? https://sousvideguy.com/easy-sous-vide-egg-bites-recipe-no-need-jars/

LorneReams
Jun 27, 2003
I'm bizarre
Why not use jars? I've been using them for everything? They are cheap as gently caress.

DangerZoneDelux
Jul 26, 2006

There was a Reddit post a few years back where someone tried the silicone molds. It didn't end well

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.
I did them in jars back when they were the hot thing in the thread here. I can do jars but I was hoping there were good molds so I don't have to risk using glass in my Cambro in case one explodes. I don't really want glass shards or even food gunk in my new $400 Anova.

poeticoddity
Jan 14, 2007
"How nice - to feel nothing and still get full credit for being alive." - Kurt Vonnegut Jr. - Slaughterhouse Five

Trastion posted:

I did them in jars back when they were the hot thing in the thread here. I can do jars but I was hoping there were good molds so I don't have to risk using glass in my Cambro in case one explodes. I don't really want glass shards or even food gunk in my new $400 Anova.

Put the jars in a freezer bag filled with water and then put that in your Cambro. It won't circulate quite as well, but if a jar breaks it's inside a thick bag.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer
Why would the jars explode? The water is not even boiling, I use pickling jars all the time for creme bruises 80 C and have had 0 problems.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
They shouldn’t. I routinely can things in mason jars and the internal temp will boil when I’m doing things like tomatoes. Short things like eggs won’t have any issue sub boil. Just don’t over-tighten the lids and no issues.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Whatever air is in there will expand when heated from room/fridge temp to cooking temp, a very weak jar could possibly break.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Hopper posted:

Why would the jars explode? The water is not even boiling, I use pickling jars all the time for creme bruises 80 C and have had 0 problems.

Gross.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Ola posted:

Whatever air is in there will expand when heated from room/fridge temp to cooking temp, a very weak jar could possibly break.

Again, only if you over tighten the rings on the jars. If you're not using actual mason jars (Ball, Kerr, etc) then you should try them. You just tighten them by hand until just a little snug and the lids are designed so that the air can escape when the expansion occurs. They've already engineered for this exact problem. You can pressure can with many of those jars which will absolutely raise the internal temp to boiling and cause that expansion you're worried about.

If you take care of your jars and check for seal, there's very little risk of explosion, even less for sub-boiling temps. There are jars in my family that have been in use for 20+ years and the only thing that needs to be replaced is the lids because they don't reseal. Use can reuse them for other non-canned uses though.

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

Jhet posted:

Again, only if you over tighten the rings on the jars. If you're not using actual mason jars (Ball, Kerr, etc) then you should try them. You just tighten them by hand until just a little snug and the lids are designed so that the air can escape when the expansion occurs. They've already engineered for this exact problem. You can pressure can with many of those jars which will absolutely raise the internal temp to boiling and cause that expansion you're worried about.

If you take care of your jars and check for seal, there's very little risk of explosion, even less for sub-boiling temps. There are jars in my family that have been in use for 20+ years and the only thing that needs to be replaced is the lids because they don't reseal. Use can reuse them for other non-canned uses though.

Gotcha, but I'm sure there are some cheap crap ones around. It wouldn't explode with any big force, just break and spill the contents.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
I had three mason brand jars break in one session. I think it was the thermal shock of cold ingredients + hot water. I've not had any problems since I started pre-warming the jars and letting the ingredients sit out for a bit to take the chill off.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013
Yeah. Thermal shock is just something glass doesn’t like. I’ve broken large Pyrex measuring cups and even a borosilicate Erlenmeyer flask that I thought was lab grade and could take the 100 degree F change in temp. I was very wrong. Same reason you shouldn’t take nice ceramic out of the freezer and put it straight into a hot oven.

Good canning practice does mean keeping your jars in the 180F water until you’re adding the hot food. If you’re doing pickles you should use room temp too.

Canning food is half art form half thermodynamics. It’s fun stuff, but you do some things for important reasons. And if you do, there’s lot of room for success.

Hopper
Dec 28, 2004

BOOING! BOOING!
Grimey Drawer

drat autocorrect... they are quite tasty though.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

I was doing a monster batch of egg bites for an event, using 288 eggs, and all my jars broke. That was too gross.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Phanatic posted:

I was doing a monster batch of egg bites for an event, using 288 eggs, and all my jars broke. That was too gross.

Thermal shock? How did the IC handle it? I've long worried about a bag breaking and getting meat juice and whatnot sucked into the innards of my IC.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

Thermal shock? How did the IC handle it? I've long worried about a bag breaking and getting meat juice and whatnot sucked into the innards of my IC.
If it makes you feel better, ICs don't really have innards to get things sucked into.

There's some heating element tubes, a high water and low water sensor, and there's a little impeller with no moving parts (the moving parts are far away from the water up inside the non-immersible part). If something gross happens, you can take off the outer sleeve and clean off everything, but you'd have to do something weird to even need to do that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Infinite Karma posted:

If it makes you feel better, ICs don't really have innards to get things sucked into.

There's some heating element tubes, a high water and low water sensor, and there's a little impeller with no moving parts (the moving parts are far away from the water up inside the non-immersible part). If something gross happens, you can take off the outer sleeve and clean off everything, but you'd have to do something weird to even need to do that.

My water sucks and I have to take mine apart to de-calcify it every once in a blue moon, but it just needs a little bit of a vinegar soak and it's shiny and perfect again.