Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
You can also buy citric acid or powdered lemon zest or a lot of other lemon things https://www.myspicesage.com/search?type=product&q=Lemon*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Health Services
Feb 27, 2009
I've added a little lemon juice, olive oil, and herbs to sous vide chicken breasts and it works very well. Doesn't need to be soupy, just a little wet.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
I feel like truelemon packets would work perfectly, I'll have to pick more up and try some lemon pepper chicken

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm still a beginner but the advice I've read is that marinades don't work well on sous vide for a variety of reasons. Sous vide doesn't really need the "added liquid" aspect of a marinade, or the "acid to break down the meat and make it tender" aspect, and it doesn't cook the marinade into a sauce like it does in stovetop/oven cooking, it will stay very, very liquid since there's no liquid boiling off. Since the outside of the meat tends to cook first, they also don't soak in while cooking. So if you were going to do a marinade, you would probably want to do it before.

But I think the better recommendation overall is to try and replace liquid marinades with dry rubs and spice blends. The one I'm struggling a bit with is how to adapt things like lemon juice - I guess you can zest a lemon but that's a lot of zest, and what I'm reading on amazon reviews is that dried zest doesn't work very well.

Paper-thin lemon slices work beautifully. Just be aware that if you're using vacuum bags (rather than ziplocs), you will get a lemon imprint on the meat, especially softer meats. My go-to for salmon is to put a couple of lemon slices on each piece and puddle for 30-45 at 118. It's especially noticeable on pieces that are chilled for later, but it's purely a presentation issue (and it does make that side slightly harder to sear well).

Lester Shy
May 1, 2002

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Anybody notice a difference between an 18 and a 24 hour soak for pulled pork? I've got a big pork shoulder going right now and no real time crunch, so I could let it go the full 24, but I know some stuff gets a bad texture if you let it go too long.

Lawnie
Sep 6, 2006

That is my helmet
Give it back
you are a lion
It doesn't even fit
Grimey Drawer

Lester Shy posted:

Anybody notice a difference between an 18 and a 24 hour soak for pulled pork? I've got a big pork shoulder going right now and no real time crunch, so I could let it go the full 24, but I know some stuff gets a bad texture if you let it go too long.

You can do pork for 36 or even 48 hours at 165, I think.

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
I've done 24hrs and things come out just fine. I'd only say reserve some of the bag juice to add back after shredding is my only tip.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
Lately I have been hearing a lot about varying temperatures for ribeye. People seem to die on this hill citing numbers between 129 and 137. I know fat renders higher, and I have two 1.5 inch thick cuts of steak that want to sous vide and then sear and I want the fat well rendered.

I am thinking 135 @ 2 hours is that excessive?

sterster
Jun 19, 2006
nothing
Fun Shoe
Excessive no, it just means it will be a tad over med rare but that's more than fine.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

Skyarb posted:

Lately I have been hearing a lot about varying temperatures for ribeye. People seem to die on this hill citing numbers between 129 and 137. I know fat renders higher, and I have two 1.5 inch thick cuts of steak that want to sous vide and then sear and I want the fat well rendered.

your personal taste may vary, but i realized that i had been gradually going rarer with my ribeyes and wasn't liking them as much (not as tender and the fat was definitely more chewy than buttery). went back up to 135 for around 2 to 3 hours and have been happy ever since.

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Skyarb posted:

going below 130f is gonna limit your cooking as protein won't do a whole lot at/below that temp. having an older IC can mean temperature variances that can widen if the unit starts to wear, hence the people going at 129

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

MMMPH MMMPPHH MPPPH GLUCK GLUCK OH SORRY I DIDNT SEE YOU THERE I WAS JUST CHOKING DOWN THIS BATTLEFIELD COCK DID YOU KNOW BATTLEFIELD IS THE BEST VIDEO GAME EVER NOW IF YOULL EXCUSE ME ILL GO BACK TO THIS BATTLECOCK
As a follow up 135 @2.5 hours was loving incredible. I'll never go lower ever again.

Skyarb
Sep 20, 2018

It would seem the searzall is discontinued. I have a TS8000 https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-...FDV7ENC73865EXD But I've never been happy with it just using the torch. I even tried hitting the cheese on my french onion soup and it seemed to burn it rather than carmelize it. Does anyone have an alternative to the searzall? Or am I just using this torch wrong? Or should I get a different torch all together?

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002
Just yesterday I did a hamburger using this recipe, and it was unlike any I've ever had:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-burgers

From here on, that's how I'm cooking all my burgers.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Cockmaster posted:

Just yesterday I did a hamburger using this recipe, and it was unlike any I've ever had:

https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/sous-vide-burgers

From here on, that's how I'm cooking all my burgers.

Just an FYI, this is paywalled.

[edit: Putting an extra slash after .com gets around the paywall -
https://www.chefsteps.com//activities/sous-vide-burgers ]

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Skyarb posted:

It would seem the searzall is discontinued. I have a TS8000 https://www.amazon.com/Bernzomatic-...FDV7ENC73865EXD But I've never been happy with it just using the torch. I even tried hitting the cheese on my french onion soup and it seemed to burn it rather than carmelize it. Does anyone have an alternative to the searzall? Or am I just using this torch wrong? Or should I get a different torch all together?

I was gifted one of these for Xmas:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07RFTW7DR/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_9FeeGbF1MT8ZN?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1
But I have yet to pick up a TS8000 to give it a test run. Mainly because my freezer is bereft of steaks.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

Internet Explorer posted:

Just an FYI, this is paywalled.

[edit: Putting an extra slash after .com gets around the paywall -
https://www.chefsteps.com//activities/sous-vide-burgers ]

You are a scholar and a gentleman. I wonder where else that trick works.

In other news, I think I’m sold on the APO. I haven’t done a tone of sous vide (cook to core using the probe on some pork tenderloins was good recently and I’m doing that again soon, but wrapped in bacon this time.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

Paul MaudDib posted:

I'm still a beginner but the advice I've read is that marinades don't work well on sous vide for a variety of reasons. Sous vide doesn't really need the "added liquid" aspect of a marinade, or the "acid to break down the meat and make it tender" aspect, and it doesn't cook the marinade into a sauce like it does in stovetop/oven cooking, it will stay very, very liquid since there's no liquid boiling off. Since the outside of the meat tends to cook first, they also don't soak in while cooking. So if you were going to do a marinade, you would probably want to do it before.

But I think the better recommendation overall is to try and replace liquid marinades with dry rubs and spice blends. The one I'm struggling a bit with is how to adapt things like lemon juice - I guess you can zest a lemon but that's a lot of zest, and what I'm reading on amazon reviews is that dried zest doesn't work very well.
I'm surprised to read this, honestly we have found great success doing this: vaccuum seal the chicken in a bag with its marinade the night before, sous vide the package, take the chicken out, pour marinade into a pan and reduce it down into a sauce. We've developed a chicken marinade with harissa, soy sauce, lemon juice, cumin, and olive oil for this purpose, and it comes out fuckin amazing.

My understanding is that vacuum sealing basically forces the marinade into the meat (you have to do this carefully so as not to let the marinade get into the vacuum sealer and break it, we do this by keeping the bag under the vacuum sealer's height.) So I wouldn't be as eager to try this with something soft you don't want to vacuum seal like salmon, but with a meat like chicken or steak, seems to work really well.

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Feb 1, 2021

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

New sous vide user here and I don’t think I can stop. Glad I found this thread!

I’ve got the Joule which is amazing, but I’ve got a long way to go before I can reliably cook different meats and know the correct temperatures. So far I’ve had the most success with burgers using ChepSteps’ own ultimate burger recipe, and I’m pretty reluctant to go back to frozen burger patties a’la Bubba Burgers or whatever you can buy in bulk at Costco. I’ve also done salmon twice and managed to gently caress it up the second time. On NYE I went to the butcher and picked up some filet mignons, and they came out perfect—I seared them and it was like Del Frisco’s in our house.

I’m a little nervous for this week—I told my wife I wanted to get some pork shoulder and make pulled pork and then smoke it, so I’m a little worried about finding a big enough container and something to cover it since it’ll need to be in the bath for about 24 hours. I’m more nervous about the smoking though tbh

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD
Jul 7, 2012

I bought the LIPAVI sous vide container after giving up on finding a BPA free one. I am very, very satisfied. It comes in a few sizes, we got the "family" size and it's plenty big enough for us, but for truly huge things there's a "party" size. Has a cutout specifically for the Joule too.

Flash Gordon Ramsay
Sep 28, 2004

Grimey Drawer
What’s the motivation for a bpa free container if the food is bagged? Is leeching through the bag something to worry about?

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

KOTEX GOD OF BLOOD posted:

I bought the LIPAVI sous vide container after giving up on finding a BPA free one. I am very, very satisfied. It comes in a few sizes, we got the "family" size and it's plenty big enough for us, but for truly huge things there's a "party" size. Has a cutout specifically for the Joule too.

I feel like I'll probably end up using one of our ice chests and covering the thing with aluminum foil until a sous-vide-specific container can be purchased--those things are kind of expensive, even the smaller ones. How I'll get it clipped to the side, I don't know yet. But, I couldn't get a container here in time anyway as I've gotta start the water bath Friday morning so I can get all the pork into the smoker by Saturday morning.

mls
Jun 6, 2006
You wanna fight? Why don't you stick your head up my butt and fight for air.
I use a small cooler and I happened to have a 1” thick sheet of styrofoam from a package I received. Cut this out into a lid with a hole for the circulator and I can still use the cooler for other things. I use an original anova so it attaches to the side of the cooler.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

What’s the motivation for a bpa free container if the food is bagged? Is leeching through the bag something to worry about?

Sometimes you'd want to just use your immersion circulator as an immersion circulator. Sweet potatoes are a popular choice (they get awesome if you keep 'em at 60-70C for an hour or so).

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Jeoh posted:

Sometimes you'd want to just use your immersion circulator as an immersion circulator. Sweet potatoes are a popular choice (they get awesome if you keep 'em at 60-70C for an hour or so).

Is this similar to sous vide carrots, bringing out more of the natural sweetness? I've never done sweet potatoes but it sounds interesting.

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Random Hero posted:

Is this similar to sous vide carrots, bringing out more of the natural sweetness? I've never done sweet potatoes but it sounds interesting.

Yeah, our lord and saviour Kenji has written about it: https://www.seriouseats.com/2010/11/the-best-roasted-sweet-potatoes-thanksgiving-sides-the-food-lab.html

It works for roasted and mashed sweet potatoes.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

One thing I haven’t done sous vide yet is any type of vegetable. I’ve kinda felt that vegetables wouldn’t get a huge benefit from sous vide? They tend to be pretty forgiving when cooking, but I imagine when doing tougher, crispier vegetables maybe sous vide would soften them up nice: carrots, potatoes, etc.

I did do some killer sockeye last night...

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

I like pairing sous vide carrots with 72 hour short ribs. https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/06/sous-vide-glazed-carrots-recipe.html

Aquila
Jan 24, 2003

After a year of cooking frozen Tritip steaks at 129F for 1.5 hours I accidentally did one at 133F and lol it's so much more tender. I guess I should have tested a wider temperature range when I first started.

Random Hero
Jun 4, 2004
I could sure go for a Miller High Life...

Aquila posted:

After a year of cooking frozen Tritip steaks at 129F for 1.5 hours I accidentally did one at 133F and lol it's so much more tender. I guess I should have tested a wider temperature range when I first started.

I sous vide most cuts of beef around 132-133 with ribeyes at 135 and then the few exceptions like short ribs anywhere from 138-144 depending on time. Under 130 has never worked out for me texturally.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Aquila posted:

How long are you cooking for?

Inspector 34
Mar 9, 2009

DOES NOT RESPECT THE RUN

BUT THEY WILL
Looks like about 90min...

vanity slug
Jul 20, 2010

Speaking of temperatures, is there a tool that'll show you which other things you might want to throw into the puddle at a certain temperature? It'd make planning for weekday meals a lot easier ("Hey, I could make roasted sweet potatoes while I'm sousvizzling these ribs").

toplitzin
Jun 13, 2003

Jeoh posted:

Speaking of temperatures, is there a tool that'll show you which other things you might want to throw into the puddle at a certain temperature? It'd make planning for weekday meals a lot easier ("Hey, I could make roasted sweet potatoes while I'm sousvizzling these ribs").

Meat and veg are usually pretty far apart due to starch vs protein, but you can start high with the veg, leave them in and drop it to meat temp.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Carrots of your choosing. Cheap grocery store carrots are fine, but I’ve used fancy multicolored heirloom carrots too. Cut to roughly even fork-sized chunks.

Dark brown sugar, salt, butter, ground clove, ground ginger, ground nutmeg, and the tiniest splash of apple cider vinegar if you’re feeling frisky. (I’ve done this recipe with entirely fresh spices that I milled in a mortar and pestle, and I’ve also done it with trash grocery store dried spices. Fresh is better, but both are perfectly viable.) Seal with the method of your choosing, and cook at 183°F for an hour. Strain the cooking liquid into a saucepan and carrots into a serving vessel. Reduce the liquid over high heat about 2 minutes, or until sauce has thickened a bit, add back to the carrots, garnish with fresh parsley if desired. These are basically the best carrots I’ve ever had.

You’re welcome.

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

I have my pork shoulder rubbed and ready to go into the 165F water bath...in a Home Depot 5gal bucket. Not sure that makes it food grade but it at least is HDPE so hopefully it will handle the temperature for 24 hours. It’s the only thing I have that’s big enough for 6lbs of pork shoulder.

After that it’s into the smoker tomorrow. Weeeeeee

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
That sounds dangerous, not because of the bucket, but because a pork shoulder is one giant lump. The center will be in the danger zone for too long. Can you break it down into 2-3 lumps with smaller diameters?

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Anne Whateley posted:

That sounds dangerous, not because of the bucket, but because a pork shoulder is one giant lump. The center will be in the danger zone for too long. Can you break it down into 2-3 lumps with smaller diameters?

But there aren't really many bad bacteria in the center, those are mostly on the surface.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

life is killing me posted:

I have my pork shoulder rubbed and ready to go into the 165F water bath...in a Home Depot 5gal bucket. Not sure that makes it food grade but it at least is HDPE so hopefully it will handle the temperature for 24 hours. It’s the only thing I have that’s big enough for 6lbs of pork shoulder.

After that it’s into the smoker tomorrow. Weeeeeee

If it's the orange one it's not food safe. The white HD buckets are. It's the dye color that makes it not, but if you've bagged the pork shoulder, it's not a problem as it won't leach through the bag. I wouldn't take it into much hotter though as hdpe starts to get soft over 175-180 or so? I don't remember the exact temp, but I've definitely wrecked a brewing bucket this way. It was for sparge water so it was probably around 180 for sure.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

life is killing me
Oct 28, 2007

Anne Whateley posted:

For 24 hours at 165F? It’ll get smoked after, too. I’ll maybe stick a thermometer in it when it’s done to check, but I’ll have a probe in it while it’s getting smoked too to be sure. It’s already getting cooked in the water bath so too late to do much about it.

spankmeister posted:

But there aren't really many bad bacteria in the center, those are mostly on the surface.

This was my understanding, that and pasteurization should happen at such a high temp for so long.

Jhet posted:

If it's the orange one it's not food safe. The white HD buckets are. It's the dye color that makes it not, but if you've bagged the pork shoulder, it's not a problem as it won't leach through the bag. I wouldn't take it into much hotter though as hdpe starts to get soft over 175-180 or so? I don't remember the exact temp, but I've definitely wrecked a brewing bucket this way. It was for sparge water so it was probably around 180 for sure.

All three pieces are bagged individually in a Sous Bear vacuum bag so they should be good—but yeah, I didn’t know that—I’m glad it’s safe from the dye. But, I read that first sentence and I was like, “Oh gently caress we will get home and it’ll be melted and damage our floor...”

From what I read HDPE should be good for a short time at temps over boiling, and below boiling point it should be fine for longer periods, but I was still a little hesitant to use the bucket. It’s just the only thing I had that could fit all three 2lb cuts.